Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You experience with iDrive e2 so far?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

You experience with iDrive e2 so far?

I have been using them since the beginning and apart from a couple of hiccups not lasting long, the service has been working fine for me.

I am now wondering whether to recommend it to someone who has to back up several terabytes of quite important data but has a limited budget.

Has anyone experienced significant issues in recent times with e2?

Comments

• Just295Just295 Member

I have been only using them now for about 9 months, and I have been very happy. I only use them as a s3f bucket on my servers, and my desktops. Never tired their app/software so I can not comment on that part of their services. However for me as a bucket the service has been great, speeds are all over the place a little bit, but I can and push 800-1000 speeds.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Thanked by 2stvna the_doctor
  • @Just295 said:
    I have been only using them now for about 9 months, and I have been very happy. I only use them as a s3f bucket on my servers, and my desktops. Never tired their app/software so I can not comment on that part of their services. However for me as a bucket the service has been great, speeds are all over the place a little bit, but I can and push 800-1000 speeds.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Thanks, I have also had a good experience so far, the only thing is that I haven't stored more than 700GB with them.

• remyremy Member

I have a 1TB plan there, I have no use for it at the moment as I have enough storage.
    But I'm quite happy with the network and performance.

The only negative point I can see is that the replication policy wasn't clear it seems.
    But at this price, the best you can hope for is local replication.

• rick2610rick2610 Member

I did use idrive in combination with Elasticsearch backup of several terabytes. I stopped using it because the network performance was bad. There were too many timeouts. It worked good when I only had 100 gigabytes.

Thanked by 1Advin
  • muddymuddy Member

Been using E2 since September of 2023 to backup client websites (one of several backup destinations). No issues other than what I assume are host node reboots that cause 2 minute downtime every month or so. I have buckets in 2 cities, and I mirror all buckets locally on my NAS, so temporary downtime doesn't bother me. I haven't noticed any issues with speed, but I don't really benchmark it because it doesn't matter in my workflow. I've got 4 TB+ stored at the moment (growing slowly). Hard to beat the price/performance value compared to storage VPS. Much better in every regard, in my experience.

• @remy said:
    I have a 1TB plan there, I have no use for it at the moment as I have enough storage.

The only negative point I can see is that the replication policy wasn't clear it seems.

What do you mean by replication policy? Can you replicate a bucket between different regions?

@rick2610 said:
    I did use idrive in combination with Elasticsearch backup of several terabytes. I stopped using it because the network performance was bad. There were too many timeouts. It worked good when I only had 100 gigabytes.

Uhm, I see. Which region was this?

@muddy said:
    Been using E2 since September of 2023 to backup client websites (one of several backup destinations). No issues other than what I assume are host node reboots that cause 2 minute downtime every month or so. I have buckets in 2 cities, and I mirror all buckets locally on my NAS, so temporary downtime doesn't bother me. I haven't noticed any issues with speed, but I don't really benchmark it because it doesn't matter in my workflow. I've got 4 TB+ stored at the moment (growing slowly). Hard to beat the price/performance value compared to storage VPS. Much better in every regard, in my experience.

Every month?

• remyremy Member

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:

What do you mean by replication policy? Can you replicate a bucket between different regions?

I meant on their side. Hardware raid / Replication on several racks
    I understand that at this price there is no multi AZ replication.

@vitobotta said:

@rick2610 said:

Europe, from Hetzner FSN

I now use backblaze and scaleway.

• @remy said:

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:

I meant on their side. Hardware raid / Replication on several racks
    I understand that at this price there is no multi AZ replication.

Ah Ok, I got confused when I read replication.

@rick2610 said:

@vitobotta said:

@rick2610 said:

Europe, from Hetzner FSN

I mean which iDrive region

@vitobotta said:

@rick2610 said:

@vitobotta said:

@rick2610 said:

Europe, from Hetzner FSN

I tried all regions in Europe, Paris was the least bad but >1TB also not stable.

• @rick2610 said:

@vitobotta said:

@rick2610 said:

@vitobotta said:

@rick2610 said:

Europe, from Hetzner FSN

I tried all regions in Europe, Paris was the least bad but >1TB also not stable.

Ok, thanks. So far I have only been using the Frankfurt region and haven't had any particular issues with my limited usage of < 1TB.

• muddymuddy Member

@muddy said:

Every month?

Went and looked at the stats in monitoring for one bucket. Looks like several times most months. Hard to tell whether it's just a monitoring issue, or whether the bucket/node is actually inaccessible. Like I said, they are never long, and in practice it hasn't really affected my needs. but it is what it is-

• @muddy said:

@muddy said:

Every month?

Went and looked at the stats in monitoring for one bucket. Looks like several times most months. Hard to tell whether it's just a monitoring issue, or whether the bucket/node is actually inaccessible. Like I said, they are never long, and in practice it hasn't really affected my needs. but it is what it is-

How was the monitoring done? Just connection?

• muddymuddy Member

@vitobotta said:

@muddy said:

@muddy said:

Every month?

Basically just checking whether an .html file saved on the bucket is accessible publicly. I've had some other issues with my monitoring reaching servers even with a simple availability check, so I don't put 100% trust in it. So, whether my downtime is real or just some sort of connection error between monitoring and the bucket, I don't know.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • @muddy said:

@vitobotta said:

@muddy said:

@muddy said:

Every month?

Basically just checking whether an .html file saved on the bucket is accessible publicly. I've had some other issues with my monitoring reaching servers even with a simple availability check, so I don't put 100% trust in it. So, whether my downtime is real or just some sort of connection error between monitoring and the bucket, I don't know.

Ok, thanks for sharing :)

• MoopahMoopah Member

Had great experience so far with e2. Generally was able to push/pull 500-1000 Mb/s for backups.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I had an account for e2 briefly so I could share some big files easy with someone. It looks kind of clunky but transfers everywhere were fast and it was super cheap. Seems alright.

• danblazedanblaze Member

E2 No problems overall. I wish they would provide a no extra download traffic consuming, multi-region auto-replication strategy.

It didn't seem to exist when I used them before.

Considering the price and overall usability, I have little to complain about.

• I think I will go ahead with it.

• @vitobotta said: Has anyone experienced significant issues in recent times with e2?

Awful experience.
    Regional ban time to time. (with vpn fine to open)
    a lot of technical issues, problems with upload/download speed.
    Problems with charging, problems with hidden costs, and hidden fake bills that force you to pay for things that you did not ask or request.

Ignoring DCMA, ignoring user removal. Forcing to use mobile phone for sign up.
    Hidden rules.

In general in my own experience: awful problematic company that i will not recommend to anyone.

• @desperand said:

@vitobotta said: Has anyone experienced significant issues in recent times with e2?

Awful experience.
    Regional ban time to time. (with vpn fine to open)
    a lot of technical issues, problems with upload/download speed.
    Problems with charging, problems with hidden costs, and hidden fake bills that force you to pay for things that you did not ask or request.

Ignoring DCMA, ignoring user removal. Forcing to use mobile phone for sign up.
    Hidden rules.

In general in my own experience: awful problematic company that i will not recommend to anyone.

What do you mean by regional ban? I can’t make much sense of what you say

• IDrive e2 has been solid for my needs, good pricing too

• @vitobotta said: What do you mean by regional ban? I can’t make much sense of what you say

I'm saying Idrive- sucks and better to avoid that. That's what am I saying.
    Regional ban looks like this:

• @desperand said:

@vitobotta said: What do you mean by regional ban? I can’t make much sense of what you say

I'm saying Idrive- sucks and better to avoid that. That's what am I saying.
    Regional ban looks like this:

Where are you based and are you sure it’s a problem on the e2 side?

• @vitobotta said: Where are you based and are you sure it’s a problem on the e2 side?

yes, i'm sure that problems on e2 side. And yes, I'm not newbie in this scene. And i know what is good and what is bad. In my opinion - e2 (idrive) - awful.

b2 r2, aws, different storage offers here on LET - much better.

• faleddofaleddo Member

very slow compared to backblaze & hetzner SB for my servers backup in EU. and hard to access from asia (APAC) region. always failed to upload files even with small size under 10MB.

• bustersgbustersg Member
    edited July 1

i got it cheap for idrive e2 (s3), cant rem is it due to 1st yr trial or coupon.
    created my bucket in my country Singapore, Asia but network still average.
    i still use for cheap price to backup my synologyNAS HDdisk2 so idrive is my secondary 'remote' backup - i use it as "fire and forget" repo.

i did try to download back partial data using synology hyperdrive, it can restore without problem so yeah, will renew if subscription expire. it works but not the best i assume.

• SashkaProSashkaPro Member

@vitobotta said: Where are you based and are you sure it’s a problem on the e2 side?

That's how looks idrive.com (connection timeout) from my Russian vpn-IP.

• I am using Backblaze to backup my websites through Enhance control panel and everything is smooth, no problems.

• vitobottavitobotta Member

@faleddo said:
    very slow compared to backblaze & hetzner SB for my servers backup in EU. and hard to access from asia (APAC) region. always failed to upload files even with small size under 10MB.

Weird how the experience with performance changes from person to person. For me iDrive e2 has usually been the fastest, ahead even of Wasabi.

@SashkaPro said:

@vitobotta said: Where are you based and are you sure it’s a problem on the e2 side?

That's how looks idrive.com (connection timeout) from my Russian vpn-IP.

Could it be due to sactions?