Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secure Dragon - Moving, IP Space - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Secure Dragon - Moving, IP Space

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

@qenox said: It seems they would make you pay twice then though :/

True but we don't foresee the same financial restrictions in 2-3 months that we're seeing now. Luckily since we needed to purchase the hardware to make the move successful, we've got enough to increase our client base more than 4x before even having to worry about purchasing any more (and this includes networking gear and PDUs and we even have some servers not dedicated to production that we could use if we wanted to since it is identical equipment). :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

we've got enough to increase our client base more than 4x before even having to worry about purchasing any more

I smell a SecureDragon special offer coming...sweet :-)

@raindog308 said: I smell a SecureDragon special offer coming...sweet :-)

That's a good nose you have there. ;)

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited March 2012

Going to start offering 256mb plans?

edited March 2012

@Naruto said: Going to start offering 256mb plans?

We're going to test it out. The problem we had before was our 256MB and 512MB plans accounted for less than 10% of our clients but over 80% of our loads, we tried giving them their own hardware but it became unusable so we were losing money on them no matter where we put them. Not sure why this was though but since we switched to new hardware we haven't had any problems with the 256MB, 512MB, and 1GB plans we still have so I'm feeling confident in releasing them in small batches for OpenVZ.

We just got our network online today so I'm starting to move some internal servers over as a test to make sure everything goes as planned (does it ever?). We hope to have a new e-mail out to our clients by tomorrow night.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I opted for earlier migration by opening a ticket (as mentioned in the last email).

Migration happened smooth as silk. Didn't even loose my uptime!

11:13:11 up 119 days,  5:59,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Great job.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@sleddog said: Great job.

Thanks! We've gotten quite a few volunteers and all have been quick and painless luckily. I did find out that if a VPS is using ntpd it can't be migrated online and requires a reboot but that's the only "hiccup" so far.

• @KuJoe said: I did find out that if a VPS is using ntpd it can't be migrated online and requires a reboot but that's the only "hiccup" so far.

Why would anyone run ntpd on OpenVz....

Thanked by 2Francisco yomero
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@sleddog said: Why would anyone run ntpd on OpenVz....

Yea really.

Francisco

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2012

@sleddog said: Why would anyone run ntpd on OpenVz....

Probably because cPanel (or some other panel) installs it without asking you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

And since many ppl have excess resources, memory and bw, why not keep it that way...
    M

edited March 2012

@Maounique said: And since many ppl have excess resources, memory and bw, why not keep it that way...

I don't get what you mean. I'm fairly certain you're attempting to troll this thread but I fail to see how, please explain.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@kujoe will you send out email when openvz is migrated?

@MikHo Yup, I'll be sending out an e-mail once everything is finished migrating tonight. I've been keeping Twitter updated as things happen also. :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2012

@KuJoe said: I don't get what you mean. I'm fairly certain you're attempting to troll this thread but I fail to see how, please explain.

I mean that many customers cant be bothered to remove what they dont need/stop the services, whatever. In my experience ppl just abuse resources instead of trimming down mysql/apache/php, they want more swap and vswap, etc. It was not a criticism towards providers, it is just how things are on our side of the fence and in many other situations, unfortunately.
    M

• @Maunique the people who use cPanel usually don't know much about server adminisration, stopping unnecessary services, optimizing mysql/apache/php, etc.

@Maounique Gotcha.

• KuJoe,

I have an OpenVZ machine on Fire01. It's up and running. I tried it out as a proxy and it's fast: it maxed out my comcast line at 25Mbps (I'm in California), I'll try again from work tomorrow with my 1G connection.

The whois shows the IP as being in Florida, but Hulu says I'm not in the US. Speedtest.net says I'm in England, but the BBC iplayer says I'm not in the UK. Netflix streaming works, it thinks I'm in the USA. I tried several sites to locate the IP address and most came up blank, one said Georgia (the state, pretty close). 199.167.29.xxx

• The whois shows the IP as being in Florida, but Hulu says I'm not in the US.

Please fix this, my vps main purpose is to watch Hulu and some other US thingie. :(

edited March 2012

Very strange. I guess we'll need to wait for all of the geoip databases to get updated (MaxMind's free database is updated on the 1st of each month and from what I understand a lot of places use that database so we'll see what happens).

http://maxmind.com/app/locate_demo_ip?ips=199.167.29.1

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@kujoe

I sent you an email with the 'corrections' page.

Said page lets you push updates yourself and they verify it. If you do it quickly it'll show up in Sundays update.

Francisco

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Kujoe ... so you and everyone else knows ... migration of my vps with you is done and its working perfect :)

Good job!

@Francisco said: Said page lets you push updates yourself and they verify it. If you do it quickly it'll show up in Sundays update.

The page says they only push updates on Tuesdays so I missed the deadline for Sunday's update. :(

• kendidkendid Veteran

I use them for backup VPNs to US for geoloc -- will have to wait until the updates... Not a big problem...

Ping times from Eastern Europe have gone from 180ms to 245ms (currently routing through GLBX)

Actual transfer speeds through OpenVPN remain around 6-7 Mbps (but have seen as low as 1.5 Mbps at times)... If the speeds, after everything stablizes, continue around the 6 Mbps mark, then my speeds will be very similar to what I had before, which is great!

From this point it looks like the changeover is going well... Although from @Kujoe 's viewpoint it might be a different story!!

• @kendid where in eastern europe are you? You don't need to answer, i am just curious :)

I've used my VPN (new SD IP) for Netflix and it registers as US for me (which is funny because when I use my BuyVM VPN it shows a different region and I get a different selection).

@kendid said: Actual transfer speeds through OpenVPN remain around 6-7 Mbps (but have seen as low as 1.5 Mbps at times)... If the speeds, after everything stablizes, continue around the 6 Mbps mark, then my speeds will be very similar to what I had before, which is great!

Keep in mind that right now our uplink is being maxed out while we finish the migration, once the migration is done our uplink usage should drop below 10% so speeds should improve.

@kendid said: From this point it looks like the changeover is going well... Although from @Kujoe 's viewpoint it might be a different story!!

Had a few unexpected speed bumps but nothing catastrophic. I was trying to use OpenVZ's new kernel but then I found out in the first few hours they still haven't fixed the TUN issue so I reverted back to the stable kernel the old nodes were using. We had about 20 VPSs that couldn't be live migrated and needed some manual intervention. And ICE01 is taking A LOT longer than previous calculations, not sure why but that's all that's left for today (all Backup and OpenVZ are moved over).

• new datacenter has not a great routing to southern Europe. Did a few tests (especially from Italy) and ping times are about 20 ms slower. But i hope the problem is caused by the migration and will resolve in the next few hours.

• ~20ms more for me from North Carolina.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Yup, from the UK pings seem a little slower, around 20ms too. 2 extra hops in the traceroute too.