Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secure Dragon - Moving, IP Space - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Secure Dragon - Moving, IP Space

Comments

• @miTgiB said: So no matter if they stay and migrate or move to another provider, they are changing, gotta love the logic of those people.

But Is this Love?

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • LAKidLAKid Member
    edited March 2012

I have been warning against SecureDragon, they're scammer's.
    They will just take away your vps, one reason if you're not polite, that's against their TOS, So if you don't like what they're doing, don't get mad, polite, say it's O.K, etc.
    If you complain or say anything, they will just null the i.p.
    I already lost 2 vps(yearly), now he's trying to get rid of all of you and pocket the money. That's how they operate, don't get it yet?

• @LAKid said: I already lost 2 vps(yearly), now he's trying to get rid of all of you and pocket the money. That's how they operate, don't get it yet?

Yeah, nobody believes you.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@pcan said: The idea of High Availability services listed in the email is interesting.

We've been thinking of that since the beginning but unfortunately the SAN setup we had didn't go as planned so we had to ditch that idea. At my day job we run a massive HA environment (1 minute of downtime is about 7 million dollars lost if I remember correctly) so I've been getting really friendly with ESXi and all of the components. Our goal is that if a server dies in the middle of the night nobody goes offline so we've got a handful of things we are exploring from something as simple as each VPS can failover to a second node in the same DC to a cloud environment that spans multiple locations. Of course, providing HA service for $7/month will also be difficult so that's one thing that's holding us back also (LEBs are where my heart's at).

@marrco said: i think we just need to know in advance the new IP

If I can't figure out an easy way to script it then we'll start manually adding IPs tonight (it's really easy to script it on the server side but SolusVM and WHMCS do not make it so easy). Clients on FIRE02, SHADOW01, and GOLD01 will get their new IPs first since they don't require any extra steps like our active nodes do.

@marrco said: For me the magic word here is scheduled when i know the exact day it will happen i'm ok.

Once we know when our network will be up at E Solutions we'll send out a 2nd e-mail with the timeline of the move. Right now we're waiting for our upstream providers to get setup to accept our BGP announcement (the paperwork was filled out Friday but the network tech coordinating it won't be back in until Monday).

@rds100 said: have you considered opening the new location, without closing the old one? Seems like a good way to expand your business.

We did consider it but it wasn't in the budget to pay for 2 locations and especially 2 locations in FL. Our second location will be probably be on the west coast as it seems to be the most requested for us.

• @LAKid said: the will just take away your vps

Nonsense. You were probably doing something very shady. If not you should Get Up, Stand Up for your rights.

Secure Dragon is a top-notch provider and it's Marley weekend :)

Thanked by 1Mopsy
    edited March 2012

@LAKid said: now he's trying to get rid of all of you and pocket the money

Yes, that's why we just spent thousands of dollars to build up our new cabinet, get our own ASN + IPs, and signed a 2+ year contract with our new data center so we can steal money. Keep in mind that the majority of our clients are paying about $2/month so stealing money would not be profitable for us since we are under contract for 2+ years so if we disappear we still have to pay our bills (and since they are only 15 minutes away from us hiding isn't an option either). LoL.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • @LAKid - just cram it. We already know you're only purpose here is to try and troll threads involving KuJoe. All you do is discredit yourself.

Thanked by 2Infinity Mopsy
  • @sleddog said: and it's Marley weekend :)

Oh, I got it... lol

• KuroKuro Member

Allowing IRC on our network.

I'm looking forward to the move. Hope all goes well for you @KuJoe :)

• flyfly Member

weee if i can irc on your net i'd grab one immediately
    especially if you have arch/freebsd

• Good luck, hope your services are even better than they are w/ GoRack.

If you do allow IRC I would buy immediately :)

@kbar said: arch/freebsd

We have Arch on OpenVZ. :)

As for the IRC thing. While I don't want to say it's definitely happening, I am feeling confident about it (clients only though, no IRC servers).

• Your network in Jacksonville has been really fast, I hope Tampa is just as good.

CORRECTION: I did some testing and there will be some downtime for each OpenVZ VPS because the connection won't restore until we manually go into SolusVM and set the primary IP address for each VPS (if you check now you have your new IP address in SolusVM). We'll be setting the primary IPs as migrations complete so downtime will be minimal unless the migrations complete faster than we're able to click (SolusVM isn't the speediest script and even less so that it's on the other side of the US).

@efball said: Your network in Jacksonville has been really fast, I hope Tampa is just as good.

Me too. Tampa has a lot more bandwidth providers versus Jacksonville so hopefully more is better. :)

• But the new IP dosent work for me

• @huluwa said: But the new IP dosent work for me

It won't work till the moving is complete i guess.

@huluwa said: But the new IP dosent work for me

This has been addressed many times in this thread, in both e-mails, and in our announcement.

• Sorry for that. I was just preparing to change domain resolution. :(

@KuJoe said: This has been addressed many times in this thread, in both e-mails, and in our announcement.

• pcanpcan Member

@KuJoe said: We've been thinking of that since the beginning but unfortunately the SAN setup we had didn't go as planned so we had to ditch that idea. At my day job we run a massive HA environment

I also happen to be administrator of a ESXi cluster at day job. After you see HA technology saving your day (and lots of company money), you want HA everywhere. In my opinion, some sort of HA features will be standard in near future, even on LEB's. Of course ESXi-like HA capabilities are overkill here. Last year I was searching something that could have been easily implemented at the control panel level, with some scripts. Basically, a backup virtual machine syncronized with the main machine at scheduled times - every few hours or once a day - that will automatically (or manually) go online with the same IP address of the faulty VM. You don't need a storage area network to do this (but it certainly will help). This setup is not a "true" HA but will have been OK for my needs, and I will have easily paid twice the price of the single VPS, because I basically ended up setting two identical VPS's and manually setting up a backup script from primary to secondary (repurposing a spare VPS I already had around). I was amazed that this was not provided as standard, because this would have doubled the sales of the VPS provider: I would have bought an already configured and tested service.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • I agree with @pcan. And if you are using service like CloudFlare, you can migrate or switch to another server seamlessly without any downtime - without any change on public IP (using CloudFlare public IP). You just need to change the A record inside CloudFlare control panel.

@NanoG6 DNS Failover is easy and cheap to do, the problem is that the majority of our clients use IPs and not DNS for their needs. If they were using DNS they could have a failover setup like we have now with DNSMadeEasy for a few bucks a month. ;)

@Everybody Please read the e-mails thoroughly before opening a ticket. We are getting entirely to many "my new IP doesn't ping" tickets. :(

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @NanoG6 I keep TTLs on domains for public use between 60 and 300 seconds. Also, loosing 1 nameserver isn't a big deal when you have more than 2 nameservers. IP changes/server migrations are not a problem for me.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Lots of DNS services don't honor short TTLs like that. Many don't honor times less than one hour.

Browsers also cache DNS and may not honor short TTLs.

Someone told me Google Public DNS doesn't honor TTLs longer than 24 hours but I never checked up on it because I don't use it.

• @raindog308 said: Browsers also cache DNS and may not honor short TTLs.

Namely, Internet Exporer. Microsoft email clients are also really freaking bad for this. Outlook, Outlook Express, Whatever-they-call-it-now are horrible with DNS. Basically they resolve at start-up and never re-check. A real nuisance when your trying to propagate new DNS and users have left their email running for the weekend :)

• vedranvedran Veteran

Any ETA for the move? I admit, I tl;dr'ed both emails, but from what I could see there is to ETA yet. So when, tomorrow, next week, next month, this year?

• From the email, new network will be up tomorrow at the earliest, with migration after that. So I suppose sometime this coming week. Subscribed to their RSS?

Thanked by 2yomero vedran

@vedran said: Any ETA for the move?

Personally, I am looking at Wednesday or Thursday at the latest but OpenVZ can be as early as Tuesday morning.

We will be moving all of our internal stuff over first, then Backup VPSs, then cPanel Hosting, then OpenVZ, then lastly Xen PV will be moved with the equipment.

Thanked by 2Francisco vedran
  • qenoxqenox Member

@KuJoe said: IPv6 is more expensive than IPv4 unless you have greater than a /20 of IPv4. IPv6 is $1,000 more expensive than IPv4 and since we do not offer it at this time we do not feel it's worth adding right away. As I put in the e-mail when the demand is higher and the costs are lower, we will consider it.

That doesn't quite make sense to me.

https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html

IPv4 /20 is $1250
    IPv6 /32 is $1,687.50 currently

you only pay the higher fee, not both.

Either way, good luck with the move.

edited March 2012

@qenox said: That doesn't quite make sense to me.

I was looking at the first chart titled "IPV6 ANNUAL FEES" (silly me for assuming that chart had accurate pricing, LoL):

Small - $2,250 - /40 to /32

So even at $437.50 difference we've currently setup our budget based on the $1250 cost. Maybe in a few months when we recoup our migration costs we'll redo our budget. :)

• qenoxqenox Member

@KuJoe said: So even at $437.50 difference we've currently setup our budget based on the $1250 cost. Maybe in a few months when we recoup our migration costs we'll redo our budget. :)

It seems they would make you pay twice then though :/