Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best secure location for free speech (Offshore)..... - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best secure location for free speech (Offshore).....

Comments

• as long this beef keeps up russia wont give a crap about letters from attorneys all the way from the usa.

• @bashed said: as long this beef keeps up russia wont give a crap about letters from attorneys all the way from the usa.

What this really boils down to is what kind of "free speech" the OP has in mind ;)

Thanked by 2gsrdgrdghd Infinity
  • Hook me up with some brokers man, some of your contacts in guangzhao tze

• bashedbashed Member
    edited February 2015

last time i went to hongkong, people from falun gung was fighting the communist hired group it was pretty intense. they made a dang mess al all over hk. i even got to meet tze ting fong, the mentally retarded one though, the guy who films himself with a selfie stick and a camera lol

• budi1413 said: Moon.

NASA is there so no secure there. :D

• @VMbox said:
    Ixam-Hosting.Com Romania VPS should do the trick.

I have a yearly VPS at IxamHosting. After two months, it was moved from Romania to France :(

So not a good choice.
    For a VPS in Romania, check out LcSNet. Working fine for me.

• Ixam, from what I see, is a brit company. So, no matter where the machines are, they are under uk jurisdiction - with all the bells and whistles like secret courts, etc.

If Romania (which has a pretty good connectivity to FfM) then better use a romanian provider like hostingsolutions.ro.

• I have no personnal experience in that but looking at places where some sites are hosted and reading a bit about it, I'd say that it's more about the company doing the hosting than the country...

Some host can not care too much in areas where you'd expect them to care much - and some will care "too much" in pretty liberal countries...

• @ben78

I agree in part. But in the end no matter the company they must comply with the law. There aren't many choices when police knocks on your door with a court order.

• @sleddog said:
    Free speech? I believe the US of A has it written into their constitution so it would logically be a good choice.

Haha still laughing at this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico :)

Thanked by 1bashed
  • Fort Meade, Maryland. Great connectivity right into the major IXs.

• UltraParanoidUltraParanoid Member
    edited February 2015

@attar said:
    I'd recommend Finland, considering their #1 press freedom ranking.

Yeah, Finland is okay for free speech (we only block torrent sites like thepiratebay here).

But you should wait because the data retention directive might stll be on here and not removed yet (they are working on it):
    http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland/finland-news/domestic/10120-finland-must-revise-its-data-protection-laws.html

And the local head of police are demanding from Minister Kiuru that they should have more easier ways to prevent terrorism (read: snoop citizens data over Internet)

So far we have pretty unrestricted Internet access and free speech.

About Sweden that some suggested here:
    Sweden is not that good, they snoop everything that goes out throught their Internet lines. At least encrypt everything (tor, vpn, https) if you host there.
    Also, they would happily send Assange to USA if he ever agreed to leave UK and come to "trial" in Sweden.

Important note: Finland main Internet connection goes throught bloody Sweden!

so encrypt,encrypt,encrypt!

• @bsdguy said: I agree in part. But in the end no matter the company they must comply with the law. There aren't many choices when police knocks on your door with a court order.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the concern here is more about your provider's reaction to somebody knocking on the door without a court order.

@ben78 said: I'd say that it's more about the company doing the hosting than the country...

Very good point. In fact, I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Plus what I'd already written here earlier: depends on what kind of "free speech" you deal with. Read: what agency comes knocking.

• Do not bother to use North-American neither European countries to host really 'free speech' website(s), instead use Central and SouthAmerica, I would recommend Brazil, Costa Rica, Paraguay, even mexico. As 'in-development' countries, some laws enforcing surveillance haven't been pushed forward because there are too many other things to bother about in this countries, so go and buy a VPS from central or south amerca (won't recommend chile though) and make it go live! :)

• Best Place for free spech: Deep Web (TOR)

• some laws enforcing surveillance haven't been pushed forward because there are too many other things to bother about in this countries

That is only partly true though, because IF they decide to work against you you have next to zero ways to prevent it either unlike in a country with laws governing what you do.

• bsdguy said: There aren't many choices when police knocks on your door with a court order.

Yeah, well I guess you are right. But I believe that you have to be a pretty big fish if the cops move to the datacenter to gather information about you and/or seize the machine your stuff is hosted - and you could get in a lot of trouble if your provided gives your information to the bad person... even if the 'legal system' of the country you host isn't looking for you.

That would make me believe that provider trust is #1 and juridiction #2 but who knows... ;)

UltraParanoid said: so encrypt,encrypt,encrypt!

Yeah, but on a VPS you can't encrypt everything - and colocated hardware is always subject to remote physical access...

Perfect security probably doesn't exist, does it?

It all depends what op wants to achieve...

• ben78 said: and colocated hardware is always subject to remote physical access...

Disable Firewire and Thunderbolt (both provide DMA) - Glue in RAM sticks (prevents RAM freeze extraction) - Use every PCI/PCIe slot or glue them shut (again, DMA).

That's the paranoid way.

• William said: Disable Firewire and Thunderbolt (both provide DMA) - Glue in RAM sticks (prevents RAM freeze extraction) - Use every PCI/PCIe slot or glue them shut (again, DMA).

That's the paranoid way.

Sounds like fun.

Would there be any way to work with full disk encryption in such an hostile remote environment with only one server? (Would probably need a second encrypted server to verify /boot automatically or something similar in case the main machine goes down)

Interesting case to think about though.

• ben78 said: Would there be any way to work with full disk encryption in such an hostile remote environment with only one server? (Would probably need a second encrypted server to verify /boot automatically or something similar in case the main machine goes down)

FDE the entire server with truecrypt and enter the password via a secured KVM or for ultra paranoid mode, directly on the server with a keyboard which in best case would be PS2, not USB.

Beware that USB/PS2 can be sniffed from some meters away (VGA/DVI from even more distance depending on cable lenght) if you know very exactly what to look for - In a datacenter environment this should be prevented by the background noise though.

Disabling/Preventing DMA is absolutely required - But this is currently only provided by AGP, PCI, PCI-X, PCIe, Thunderbolt (which is PCIe x4) and Firewire (both 400 and 800). USB 1/2/3, PS2 and other plugs have no DMA.
    Addon cards MIGHT pose a risk by having DMA themself, i.e. adapters for external PCIe cases) - GPU interlinks (SLI/CrossFire) might pose a risk as well but i'm not sure on that.

One could still crack this but it would force a reboot and flashing a rogue BIOS/EFI which would be noticeable (at least the reboot, the rouge EFI/BIOS probably not, it could be a small change to capture all keypresses and write it on a USB stick later (which would not show up in the OS as the BIOS/EFI would take it over before that) - i'm sure this is possible on EFI but BIOS chips might not have enough capacity for such elaborate code.

REAL hardcore mode by Police/Attacker would be to use the traces on the mainboard to get a PCIe/PCI/PCI-X/AGP lane to work directly with their equipment or adapt one from under the CPU socket - This is not really preventable.

• Bad news. USB can be used for attacks, particularly when the system is in a DC where e.g. state agents do have physical access.

The general rule is that a system that can be accessed physically is assumed to be insecure.

On the other hand any reasonable security consideration should include probabilities, reasonability, and, of course, against what one wants to protect.

Let's play the game and assume you are, for instance, a bad, bad weapons and drug dealer and a spy, too. So obviously you wouldn't use a colo at all but rather buy bandwidth and have the box in a special vault in your basement. Then you're safe, right?
    No, you probably are not. Because an opponent is hardly behind the physical system. His goal virtually always is information. Unfortunately, the very definiton of a server implies that there are other systems involved, you drug dealer clients or your north-korean spymasters, for instance. So your opponents simply won't attack your box but one of the client boxes.

The point to make is: a) to protect one must clearly define against what to protect and b) hacking, legal or illegal, is basically about finding the weak spot and there will virtually always be a weak spot somewhere in the game, no matter how tight you secure any given box.

So I suggest, we limit ourselves to attacks that are a) probable and b) within a reasonable cost/effort vs. value of our stuff (data, whatever) range. For most people a proper OS and services configuration and maybe some disk encryption should be all that's needed - and way more that 90% (?) of the systems out there offer.

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited February 2015

@bashed said:
    i would go with ukraine but i think their network centers been blown up. or russia... but i still havent been able to test the speed of a russsian server. what about switzerland, neutral country. didnt do nothing in ww2

No "network center" has blown up and optical links in the Donbass are still working.

Any form of censorship is prohibited by the constitution and laws, but you can receive some pressure if you're not very aware of your rights.

Thanked by 1bashed
  • Only ppl that can end the was are amazing girls of kiev, rise up !

• All this talk leads no we where. I have rambo a military guy in jdbourti our new aifrican base after a on how to finish alshabob to relax and he goes to his usual site download's a flick and got me in Trouble for it. It's so stupudim going to buy him a sreàming tv box cuz of these sharks

• With prism running end what can counter their system. Has aonyone get sued for millions or sharks attack by us using *settlments"

• Honestly, at this moment in time I think RU is the best place.

• Bump.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2015

bsdguy said: Bad news. USB can be used for attacks, particularly when the system is in a DC where e.g. state agents do have physical access.

How? USB does not provide DMA, thus it would require to be loaded as driver, i see no way to exploit that (emulate a keyboard or storage volume won't help much, you might be able to exploit a webcam driver or similar but even that is unlikely)

• @dedicados said:
    any vps on sweden?

http://hosthatch.com/ - sweden, kvm