Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need Frankfurt/Bielefeld/Hessen VPS with excellent connectivity (and some tipps on wireguard) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

need Frankfurt/Bielefeld/Hessen VPS with excellent connectivity (and some tipps on wireguard)

2»

Comments

• @gbzret4d said:

@starfist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@Neoon said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@Neoon said:
    Why can't you do port forwarding? Router or something else?

Im behind NAT and the router they gave me is a üiece of shit, cant even change subnet mask...

Maybe worth calling your ISP and telling them you need to use a VPN and it isn't working.
    Chances are high they will enable a IPv4 for you, instead of GCNAT, for free.

Regarding the shitty router, also worth calling your ISP, mark your contract for termination.
    Just say your are not satisfied, especially with the shit router.

Call the magic number next day, you probably will get a decent router that allows your port Forwarding for free included instead of paying for it monthly.

Replacement is probably free too.
    Google for your ISP, what the offers others got, so you have a reference baseline.

@DeadlyChemist
    There is a law in the EU where all isp gave to give you a real ipv4 address if you request it. Is there any chance Vodafone can set the if shitty router into bridge mode and you get a real router?

Please show us this law.

Austria for example:
    https://www.rtr.at/TKP/was_wir_tun/telekommunikation/konsumentenservice/faq/FAQ_oeffentliche_IP-adresse.de.html

If you ask them by mail they will tell you that a nat ipv4 is not enough. Isps have to give you a ipv4 if you request it.

pretty sure they could give me ipv6... yikes

• wedge1001wedge1001 Member

You have a cable connection from Vodafone. You probably will not find any service provider that will be faster than 10-20ms.
    When my VDSL has a ping of 15ms to a server, my cable-connection needs an additional 5ms (at least)
    Even with my fiber connection I normally have about 11-12ms to the nearest server in ffm. Normally they are only 2-3ms faster than VDSL.

• gbzret4dgbzret4d Member

@DeadlyChemist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@starfist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@Neoon said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@Neoon said:

Im behind NAT and the router they gave me is a üiece of shit, cant even change subnet mask...

Maybe worth calling your ISP and telling them you need to use a VPN and it isn't working.

Regarding the shitty router, also worth calling your ISP, mark your contract for termination.

Call the magic number next day, you probably will get a decent router that allows your port Forwarding for free included instead of paying for it monthly.

Google for your ISP, what the offers others got, so you have a reference baseline.

@DeadlyChemist
    There is a law in the EU where all isp gave to give you a real ipv4 address if you request it. Is there any chance Vodafone can set the if shitty router into bridge mode and you get a real router?

Please show us this law.

Austria for example:
    https://www.rtr.at/TKP/was_wir_tun/telekommunikation/konsumentenservice/faq/FAQ_oeffentliche_IP-adresse.de.html

If you ask them by mail they will tell you that a nat ipv4 is not enough. Isps have to give you a ipv4 if you request it.

In Austria ISPs don't have to give an ipv6 address, they can but they must give you an ipv4 if requested. The big ISPs give you ipv4 + ipv6 in Austria, never experienced a problem or heard otherwise

• @DeadlyChemist good luck.
    I noticed Vodafone/Kabel Deutschland isn't peering that openly anymore (dunno if it's a cost thing).

But be aware that their routing depends on what subnet you are in which can change if you reset your connection and get a new ip.
    I think I went through all possible options. Getting routed through Hamburg, Netherlands, Berlin, Düsseldorf and Frankfurt (or even a mix) but for the past year or so it's mostly Düsseldorf now.

Have you tried asking in the Vodafone forum for dualstack? You could also try calling their hotline asking for it and give them reasons like you have ipv4 only devices (Nas, cameras etc.) or you need it for (remote) work and so on. Might need multiple callings tho.

Alternative would be getting business contract to order static ip (tho routing can also be a pain again).

I guess you are in the same boat as I were that you have no other real option (except being fine with less than 16k dsl).

• @blackjack4494 said:
    @DeadlyChemist good luck.
    I noticed Vodafone/Kabel Deutschland isn't peering that openly anymore (dunno if it's a cost thing).

But be aware that their routing depends on what subnet you are in which can change if you reset your connection and get a new ip.
    I think I went through all possible options. Getting routed through Hamburg, Netherlands, Berlin, Düsseldorf and Frankfurt (or even a mix) but for the past year or so it's mostly Düsseldorf now.

Have you tried asking in the Vodafone forum for dualstack? You could also try calling their hotline asking for it and give them reasons like you have ipv4 only devices (Nas, cameras etc.) or you need it for (remote) work and so on. Might need multiple callings tho.

Alternative would be getting business contract to order static ip (tho routing can also be a pain again).

I guess you are in the same boat as I were that you have no other real option (except being fine with less than 16k dsl).

my dls dropped from 100 to 0 followed by me mailing and call-harassing telekom for their shit service followed by terminating contract early
    im stuck with vodafone

ill ask them about real IP address and why they gave me shit vodafon station, most likely getting money back :) (the rabbit hole goes deeper)

for now i think ill grab a server with 10-20ms ping route all that and be happer than with port forwarding anyways (telekom wasnt super reliable for me with that funny enough

• @wedge1001 said:
    You have a cable connection from Vodafone. You probably will not find any service provider that will be faster than 10-20ms.
    When my VDSL has a ping of 15ms to a server, my cable-connection needs an additional 5ms (at least)
    Even with my fiber connection I normally have about 11-12ms to the nearest server in ffm. Normally they are only 2-3ms faster than VDSL.

yeah should pikc that 20ms is nothing tbh

• nxsasnxsas Member

AS3209 sufferers (ex-UM users) here.

If you live in NRW, your best bet is servers in Düsseldorf.
    In my case I could able to see 6-13ms (under 8ms is really rare like 2-3% of requests) pings to Contabo's test IPs.
    To Frankfurt I could only see about 12-20 ms.

The problem with Contabo is that they don't offer 1 Gbit bandwidth with every vps packages. You need to pay them 26 eur to get gigabit link :blush:

Vodafone unfortunately really bad when its comes to latency. They are really not stable and their routing is really random. Like, up until last year, they were directing my route to CF through Frankfurt, despite my proximity to Düsseldorf. Even more baffling, when they acquired Unitymedia, they routed IPv4 CF traffic through Paris and IPv6 through Amsterdam for like a year. LUL

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited May 5

I dont understand, why are you complaining about 10ms latency @DeadlyChemist ? Why all you doing these pings?

If youre connecting via different network or different location its not gonna route directly from your device to your house via dedicated invisible cable, it will be routed via major hub like Frankfurt.

If this VPS is in the middle of normal routing then even 100ms to it wont increase latency (like if you would buy New York VPS to connect to Chicago), because it is in the middle.

Check traceroute and then you'll see where majority of traffic meet before reaching your house. Get something that peers with that/there. In case of polish biggest ISP (Orange Polska) that meeting point is Hamburg (yea, lol) and because of this stupidy polish cloud/vps providers are basically nonexisting, as total pings are better if you get VPS from Germany.

Edit: VPS with 10ms latency can even decrease your total latency if routes are better, you should really focus on full route.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @nxsas said:
    Vodafone unfortunately really bad when its comes to latency. They are really not stable and their routing is really random. Like, up until last year, they were directing my route to CF through Frankfurt, despite my proximity to Düsseldorf. Even more baffling, when they acquired Unitymedia, they routed IPv4 CF traffic through Paris and IPv6 through Amsterdam for like a year. LUL

Yup can confirm that they route ipv4 and ipv6 different for most of the time. It's just super annoying and random. In some cases some routes go through congested exchanges so for instance if I try to download something off a hetzner server it at most reaches 2 Mbit/s.. after all they even deny the fact that there are differences even if you have evidence. During COVID I hadn't to pay a single cent for their services since their service was non existent (as well as the non existent customer service/hotline) for almost 2 years straight.
    At least I am getting fiber in a few days and have not to bother with Vodafone cable anymore.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@gbzret4d said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@starfist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@Neoon said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@Neoon said:

@DeadlyChemist

Please show us this law.

Austria for example:

In Austria ISPs don't have to give an ipv6 address, they can but they must give you an ipv4 if requested. The big ISPs give you ipv4 + ipv6 in Austria, never experienced a problem or heard otherwise

Your source does not speak of a dedicated IPv4. With cgnat you do get a public IPv4 to allow for outgoing connections to IPv4 only networks.
    While they reference a EU regulation it is nor specified which exactly nor where to find it.

In a nutshell, there is no law that forces ISPs to provide you with an unshared, dedicated IPv4.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@AXYZE said:
    I dont understand, why are you complaining about 10ms latency @DeadlyChemist ? Why all you doing these pings?

If youre connecting via different network or different location its not gonna route directly from your device to your house via dedicated invisible cable, it will be routed via major hub like Frankfurt.

If this VPS is in the middle of normal routing then even 100ms to it wont increase latency (like if you would buy New York VPS to connect to Chicago), because it is in the middle.

Check traceroute and then you'll see where majority of traffic meet before reaching your house. Get something that peers with that/there. In case of polish biggest ISP (Orange Polska) that meeting point is Hamburg (yea, lol) and because of this stupidy polish cloud/vps providers are basically nonexisting, as total pings are better if you get VPS from Germany.

Edit: VPS with 10ms latency can even decrease your total latency if routes are better, you should really focus on full route.

Yes, exactly. Even if Bielefeld is the first hop that does not mean you'd leave the route there even with a VPS at the same city. Could well be, that you still end up going to düsseldorf and back, so essentially really adding latency.

As @AXYZE wrote, try to find the largest pop which all routes go through. Probably frankfurt or düsseldorf are going to be the best solution.
    Greencloud peers locates with 23 Media in Frankfurt if I remember correctly. Also Inceptionhosting/clouvider. This is one of the best locations you can get for your purpose.

• gbzret4dgbzret4d Member

@Falzo said:

@gbzret4d said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@starfist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@Neoon said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@Neoon said:

@DeadlyChemist

Please show us this law.

Austria for example:

Your source does not speak of a dedicated IPv4. With cgnat you do get a public IPv4 to allow for outgoing connections to IPv4 only networks.
    While they reference a EU regulation it is nor specified which exactly nor where to find it.

In a nutshell, there is no law that forces ISPs to provide you with an unshared, dedicated IPv4.

Go and write a mail to the Austrian RTR (Austrian Internet regulation bureau) and ask them. They told me ISPs have to give you an unshared ipv4.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@gbzret4d said:

Go and write a mail to the Austrian RTR (Austrian Internet regulation bureau) and ask them. They told me ISPs have to give you an unshared ipv4.

I am in Germany so the Austrian regulation office won't help much. We do have our own well known regulation office for telecommunication though. But it does not help or change the fact, that they are not the law, but can only refer to it - which for some reason they do not specify here. Ever wondered why?

Anyway, as said before, there is no mentioning anywhere of an unshared IPv4, simple as that.
    Providers must give you an IPv4, so you can reach IPv4 only networks of course. Yet you do not need an unshared IP for that. Don't mistake the 'public' for 'yours alone' 😉

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • edited May 6

@DeadlyChemist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@starfist said:

@gbzret4d said:

@Neoon said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@Neoon said:

@DeadlyChemist

Please show us this law.

Austria for example:

Yeah, probably. Also the linked agency is actually Austrian - not German. While this actually seems to stem from an EU directive the Austrian regulator seems to be pretty much alone with this interpretation currently so chances are it won't help in Germany anyways.

Besides, as @Falzo said, a regulator doesn't make laws. If some provider chooses to go against it's interpretation it'll have to be settled in court and from what i get (at least in Germany) those don't seem to be all that favorable in regards to this specific interpretation as (by what i get from my very superficial recherche) the underlying EU directive needs to be stretched quite a bit to deduct some kind of requirement for an external IP.

Edit: BNetzA doesn't seem to follow the Austrian interpretation either.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • xx00xxxx00xx Member

try out http://lg.ultravps.eu (ultravps is a sub-brand of https://www.providerdienste.de) or http://lg.first-root.com (first-root is now a sub-brand of https://www.comtrance.net)

both are in düsseldorf and both have their own network. they should give you good pings to bielefeld

• @AXYZE said:

not complaining about 10ms at all!

@blackjack4494 said: At least I am getting fiber in a few days and have not to bother with Vodafone cable anymore.

my other choice is VDSL, 0 up 0 down

fiber not even in 10 years at my street

@Falzo said: As @AXYZE wrote, try to find the largest pop which all routes go through. Probably frankfurt or düsseldorf are going to be the best solution.

Greencloud peers locates with 23 Media in Frankfurt if I remember correctly. Also Inceptionhosting/clouvider. This is one of the best locations you can get for your purpose.

guess should go with this

@xx00xx said:
    try out http://lg.ultravps.eu (ultravps is a sub-brand of https://www.providerdienste.de) or http://lg.first-root.com (first-root is now a sub-brand of https://www.comtrance.net)

both are in düsseldorf and both have their own network. they should give you good pings to bielefeld

ping is high 10-20ms on both

will check greencloud and whoever posted here/dm will consider that first.
    thanks for all help, will let you knows what route i went at the end

• ngl i'd rather go with greencloud but no anwser to my DM so far

will see any wait maybe some stuff will pop up

• @DeadlyChemist said:
    ngl i'd rather go with greencloud but no anwser to my DM so far

What kind of latency do you get there? I might be able to point you towards a deal that could be of interest to you.

• xx00xxxx00xx Member

https://1fire.de offers vps on 23m network. they are in business since 2007

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 10

@xx00xx said:

Kinda expensive, when you consider that GreenCloud sells virtual machines in the same DC wit the same upstream for 15$/y instead of 5€/m.
    my GC in 23M has been pretty solid, renewed it a bunch of times.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

What kind of latency do you get there? I might be able to point you towards a deal that could be of interest to you.

very good low 10-20

@Neoon said:

@xx00xx said:

Kinda expensive, when you consider that GreenCloud sells virtual machines in the same DC wit the same upstream for 15$/y instead of 5€/m.
    my GC in 23M has been pretty solid, renewed it a bunch of times.

here is what i send greencloud in dm on here:

hey, unsure if it's okay to message you
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/194480/need-frankfurt-bielefeld-hessen-vps-with-excellent-connectivity-and-some-tipps-on-wireguard/p2

looking at pings it's low 10-20ms from my place and considering your longest in the bussiness it's my best shot

Would you be able to offer something for upto 5€ monthly? (half-anually pay possible ofc)
    following specs:
    1-2 ipv4 adresses 1ipv6 adress
    both fully unlocked, all ports
    cpu does not matter, 1-2 cores
    1gb ram or 2gb
    30-50gb SSD
    good uptime, good connectivity
    min 1tb bandwith
    somehow i like be sure to get 250 download 100 upload like 99% of the time so idk, 10gbe shared? unsure how much people abuse the network
    Frankfurt, Germany
    let me self install my linux and dont add spyware, will be used for home networking, so pings to private adresses 192.X are normal

more described in the post, just curious if you could provide something/what

connectivity and clean ip are very important for me, performance not so

• @DeadlyChemist said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

very good low 10-20

Hmm, what's a low 10-20 vs. a high 10-20? Something like tendency wise rather 10-15 vs rather 15-20?

@DeadlyChemist said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

very good low 10-20

Hmm, what's a low 10-20 vs. a high 10-20? Something like tendency wise rather 10-15 vs rather 15-20?

yeah even sometimes 9ms i just run ping cmd for a while
    i have a rd server with low 20-30 ms
    if i dont find anything (price cant be beaten tho)

@DeadlyChemist said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

very good low 10-20

duplicatisync@duplicatisync:~$ ping 212.83.46.180
    PING 212.83.46.180 (212.83.46.180) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=18.6 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=13.3 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=14.9 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=12.8 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=5 ttl=59 time=15.1 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=6 ttl=59 time=16.1 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=7 ttl=59 time=11.2 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=8 ttl=59 time=12.9 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=9 ttl=59 time=17.8 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=10 ttl=59 time=11.4 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=11 ttl=59 time=15.4 ms
    64 bytes from 212.83.46.180: icmp_seq=12 ttl=59 time=14.3 ms