Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tor Exit Node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tor Exit Node

mailseekermailseeker Member
edited April 5 in Providers

Want to run a TOR exit node that helps the network. Already run 2 relays
Would like to optimize costs. Any network that can help.
Thanks

Comments

• Thanks, any recommendations that you have ?

• BruhGamer12BruhGamer12 Member
    edited April 5

rdp.sh @Francisco, or @terrahost - I have 1gbps 330TB per month Terrahost dedicated server that costs around $25 a month when paid yearly if you are interested in it maybe - I think terrahost allows transfers. Otherwise rdp.sh is the best probably for cost and raw performance.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello sir check our deals > https://panel.ihostart.com/index.php?rp=/store/vps-kvm-ssd if you open a ticket and say on ticket want run a TOR Exit we possible give you free 20 TB bandwidth

Regards,
    Calin

Thanked by 1martheen
  • shruubshruub Member
    edited April 5

@mailseeker said:
    Thanks, any recommendations that you have ?

Incognet and Crunchbits work well and don't break the bank. But, if you have the time, I would recommend you check how many exit nodes the ASN already has. For example Hetzner is huge. Using a smaller ISP helps with network diversity.

For example:

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/as:210630 (Incognet)

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/as:400304 (Crunchbits)

So you might rather use Crunchbits if they allow Exits. Pinging @crunchbits to confirm.

Edit: Also, thanks for your contribution!
    Edit 2: There's also this page by the Tor community. There are some Low-End providers on there as well. Regardless I'd always ask the host a second time.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • plumbergplumberg Veteran

@BruhGamer12 said:

What are the specs of your server? It comes with ipmi? Thnx

• Thanks ! what network do you use> @Calin said:

Hello sir check our deals > https://panel.ihostart.com/index.php?rp=/store/vps-kvm-ssd if you open a ticket and say on ticket want run a TOR Exit we possible give you free 20 TB bandwidth

Regards,
    Calin

Thanks! what network do you use

edited April 5

\

@plumberg said: What are the specs of your server? It comes with ipmi? Thnx

3rd gen(maybe 4th?) i5 - 8gb of ram and a 256GB ssd I believe. No built in ipmi, but they have a mobile ipmi you can use unless they got rid of that, but the biggest draw is how much bandwidth it has and the quality of @terrahost 's network.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @Francisco Any discounts you can offer. Thanks

• shruubshruub Member
    edited April 5

@BruhGamer12 said:
    rdp.sh @Francisco, or @terrahost - I have 1gbps 330TB per month Terrahost dedicated server that costs around $25 a month when paid yearly if you are interested in it maybe - I think terrahost allows transfers. Otherwise rdp.sh is the best probably for cost and raw performance.

BuyVM and RDP.sh should be avoided, if possible. The already host lots of tor relays.

• siemenssiemens Member

Netcup, Aeza, Incognet, Hostslick, Vsys, Urdn if you don't mind using further centralizing the network.

edited April 5

I know people run middle relays on @fiberstate's network from the tor statistics website but idk about exit nodes - I have a fiberstate server and while I do not run any tor services on there - they have a good network and cheap bandwidth; however, I do not know their policies surrounding tor.

edited April 5

@shruub said: Crunchbits

Crunchbits is a really good host dont get me wrong, but for the specific application of Tor exit relay in relation to their VPS products their bandwidth isnt the highest and they have CPU fair use policies(they are good for almost any applications but idk about tor relays) - both of which a tor exit node uses a lot of(as they are in high demand), but they have some dedicated server offers that are good that would maybe work for you?

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

We do allow relays at VPS.
    Exit nodes are allowed on dedicated Servers

https://hostslick.com/dedicated.php

• @terrahost I'd love to set up an exit node. Any chance of a discount. Thanks. I will transfer for next month since I am already running one now.

• Some other comments before I forget - I run a middle relay on a $7 a year 1GB vps from @ColoCrossing and I mean its fine for $7 a year lol but maybe they allow exit too, so check their deals often. @vsys_host ik allows it and @DataIdeas-Josh allows it as long as you follow rules - you can join his discord to see some of the exit rules and setup procedure I helped someone else with.

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • @mailseeker said: Any chance of a discount. Thanks. I will transfer for next month since I am already running one now.

I think $25 a month for 1gbps port with 1gbps bandwidth is probably the cheapest you going to get lol.

• shruubshruub Member

@BruhGamer12 said:

@shruub said: Crunchbits

Crunchbits is a really good host dont get me wrong, but for the specific application of Tor exit relay in relation to their VPS products their bandwidth isnt the highest and they have CPU fair use policies(they are good for almost any applications but idk about tor relays) - both of which a tor exit node uses a lot of(as they are in high demand), but they have some dedicated server offers that are good that would maybe work for you?

Good point! I'd say VDSes and of course more expensive Dedis should work fine.

• shruubshruub Member

@BruhGamer12 said:
    Some other comments before I forget - I run a middle relay on a $7 a year 1GB vps from @ColoCrossing and I mean its fine for $7 a year lol but maybe they allow exit too, so check their deals often. @vsys_host ik allows it and @DataIdeas-Josh allows it as long as you follow rules - you can join his discord to see some of the exit rules and setup procedure I helped someone else with.

Yeah, most hosts will allow middle relays. They also work fine on really low specs as long as you configure them right. (Plus, there are basically no worries of police etc :))

• @BruhGamer12 said:

@mailseeker said: Any chance of a discount. Thanks. I will transfer for next month since I am already running one now.

I think $25 a month for 1gbps port with 1gbps bandwidth is probably the cheapest you going to get lol.

This looks good, thanks! I didn't see a $25 a month offer on their page.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@mailseeker said: Thanks ! what network do you use> @Calin said:

>
    Hello we usage big residential ASN: AS 9050

Regards

• @mailseeker said: This looks good, thanks! I didn't see a $25 a month offer on their page.

if you pay annually you get 15% off and their cheapest unlimited dedicated server is $29 a month so its roughly $25 ish dollars. Maybe they raised the prices tho since I am checking again?

• zGatozGato Member

From the list @BruhGamer12 sent @vsys_host (https://vsys.host) still allows Exit nodes (just quickly asked on their live chat). Been using a small VM from them for a few months and has been rock solid since then :)

They don't have many tor relays (and only 2 exits) so should be a good ISP to host on (https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/as:AS30860) (starting at $5/m)

my aff link if you want to help me out :)

Thanked by 1vsys_host
  • davidedavide Member
    edited April 6

Thanks @zGato :)

Could you also find out what bandwidth and port speed these VPSs have? Quick!

• davidedavide Member
    edited April 6

If poor uptime and crappy reliability isn't a top concern, @c1vhosting has

1 vCore CPU
    2GB DDR4
    20GB NVMe
    20TB @ 1Gbps

at 2,50 €/m -> https://www.c1vhosting.it/cart.php?a=add&pid=321
    (this is the largest data center in the whole of Pomezia, maybe)

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • tra10000tra10000 Member

@davide Are you close to c1v in terms of distance? If I'm not mistaken, you are in Italy too.

• davidedavide Member

@tra10000 said:
    @davide Are you close to c1v in terms of distance? If I'm not mistaken, you are in Italy too.

On a hot weekend in August it would take me 2 days to drive there. These roads are barbaric and clogged with car wrecks in summer.
    On a cold winter night maybe 5 hours. And €150 between gas and tolls.

Thanked by 1tra10000
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@mailseeker said:
    Want to run a TOR exit node that helps the network. Already run 2 relays
    Would like to optimize costs. Any network that can help.
    Thanks

Thank you @BruhGamer12 for the Shoutout.

Our "rules" are pretty simple and helps from abuse of the tor network.
    Come and join us!
    https://dataideas.com/acceptable-use-policy.html

• emg88emg88 Member

Tor exits ;

Liteserver.nl @LiteServer
    Buyvm.net @Francisco
    DartNode @DartNode
    DataIdeas @DataIdeas-Josh
    @northernjames

Will add more when I remember

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh