Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions on Contabo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Opinions on Contabo?

edited March 30 in General

Recently seeing more and more bad reviews for Contabo recently on Trustpilot is it really that bad? Or is it a temporary outage.

I have been thinking to move my current VPS on lower specs from my current cloud hosting provider to Contabo, as the server specs look appealing. However, would I be making a mistake, moving my operations over to Contabo? I am also tempted to to enter a 12 month contract to avoid a setup fee, however now unsure based on recent events.

I was going to get their entry level Cloud VPS plan 4vCPU and 6GB RAM with 32TB Bandwith.
If there happened to be any other providers that anyone knows of that maybe can offer similar specs at the same or less price, I would be open to try :smile:

Comments

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited March 31

It suffers from acute IOPS deprivation. It is an untreatable condition

Thanked by 1Freek
  • @shruub said:

Time to make an indian trains are just as crowded as contabo's nodes joke I guess!

• NanjaNanja Member

Two years ago I had the "VPS 5" in "United States (Central)"

It was great, I ran basically everything I could on it.
    A friend asked if I could slap a game server on it.

I reinstalled the OS with pterodactyl, slapped a BetterMC server on it.
    Turned out to be a very horrible experience. Didn't matter our location in the world, none of us could move a step without bouncing backwards.

I copied files from Contabo onto my own PC and everyone played fine. I guess Contabo isn't made for gaming so I moved on.

• Seems like contabo isn't the way to go :neutral:

Any suggestions on other providers that are stable and can offer similar specs at a similar price to contabo?

• zoxzox Member
    edited March 31

My experience of Contabo, you can find it here
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3919816#Comment_3919816

Story there after.
    After the cancellation request was given, I left it there. After some days later on 7th March suddenly I received a message from my uptime monitoring tool, saying service is up. I don't know, if it was fixed by support or if it some how got fixed, when they fixed something else. For now, I have cancelled my VPS cancellation request, because I need some services running in that VPS and now dont have time to move all of that. Still it was a bitter experience for me.

Check this out, see if your needed location is available. I have one VPS with them. Didn't have any issues till now. Also they are cheap.
    https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale

• itsnotvitsnotv Member

Contabo is fine. You get what you pay for. I haven't had any issues with them over last year. Don't expect any support or 100% uptime.

Netcup and Avoro are better.

Thanked by 2Erisa deepsgo
  • JarryJarry Member

@zox said:
    Check this out, see if your needed location is available. I have one VPS with them. Didn't have any issues till now. Also they are cheap.
    https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale

I have one vps from GreenCloud and I'm satisfied, but they offer much smaller storage space. I think better alternative to Contabo is Webtropia...

• JorboxJorbox Member

Don’t expect much from the cheapest provider

• Contabo is known as Contablows to some people (for good reason).

• hapkidohapkido Member

Think just take note of the network speed for each plan, it's different. If it's acceptable for you, then should be fine.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

contabo is an anagram of "to bacon"

I don't know what that means.

• LeviLevi Member

What is fascinating - everyone complaints, but still buys. So provider have no incentive to get better. At the end of the day if price is right one can sell crap wrapped in candy paper.

• NanjaNanja Member

I am currently using Datawagon for VPS, the pricing and specs is around the same area as Contabo. The Bandwidth is not as much, but still great :D

Thanked by 3tushaar deepsgo pangkus
  • hapkidohapkido Member

@Nanja said:
    I am currently using Datawagon for VPS, the pricing and specs is around the same area as Contabo. The Bandwidth is not as much, but still great :D

Thanks for sharing!

All of our virtual servers now include a free Windows Server license as well!
    -> wow they include free windows license , basic plan is $6, quite worth it!

Did they say the network speed?

• NanjaNanja Member

@hapkido said:

@Nanja said:
    I am currently using Datawagon for VPS, the pricing and specs is around the same area as Contabo. The Bandwidth is not as much, but still great

Not sure, but I currently have windows server installed.
    I am using the Chicago node.
    This is result of speedtest

Normally I use yabs, but it doesn't work on windows.

Thanked by 1hapkido
  • hapkidohapkido Member

@Nanja said:

@hapkido said:

@Nanja said:
    I am currently using Datawagon for VPS, the pricing and specs is around the same area as Contabo. The Bandwidth is not as much, but still great

Network speed looking very good, this is higher than Contabo basic plan.

Your Datawagon plan is the basic plan, 80ssd?

• NanjaNanja Member

@hapkido said:

@Nanja said:

@hapkido said:

@Nanja said:

Network speed looking very good, this is higher than Contabo basic plan.

Your Datawagon plan is the basic plan, 80ssd?

I use $24/month plan

12 vCPUs
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    320GB NVMe Storage
    20 TB Bandwidth.

This is ok for me, they let me scale my plan.
    If I ever need more resource I can just open a ticket and get more resources.

Thanked by 1hapkido
  • shruubshruub Member
    edited March 31

@tra10000 said:

@shruub said:

Time to make an indian trains are just as crowded as contabo's nodes joke I guess!

Quite the quote
    edit: oh I get it now, lmao

Thanked by 1tra10000
  • I actually bought my first VPS at Contabo and learned a lot from them.

Unfortunately I experienced the same as the other people: incredibly slow IOPS, even a static website was struggling loading it‘s content x). Was a 8GB RAM VPS.

• edited March 31

@Jorbox said:
    Don’t expect much from the cheapest provider

Seems this is the case for alot of providers, even from my experience. I have tried both reputable providers from big corporations like Hetzner etc. and struggle to find anything compareable to their services with cheaper pricing. It really does make finding stable and reputable providers very difficuly :disappointed:

• hello, i buy a new vps with easter promo and still not delivery...i'm their client from many years...even support not reply!

• hapkidohapkido Member

@chiccorosso said:
    hello, i buy a new vps with easter promo and still not delivery...i'm their client from many years...even support not reply!

That's weird, normally it's quite fast!

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

I am just not sure how much viable SSD are for VPS nodes in 2024, unless its for just raw storage or backups. NVME prices aren't as bad as they used to be. If you want a good performing VPS make sure it has NVME.

Thanked by 1dev_vps
  • emghemgh Member

@oplink said:
    I am just not sure how much viable SSD are for VPS nodes in 2024, unless its for just raw storage or backups.

You use SSD’s for cold-ish storage/backups?

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

@oplink said:
    I am just not sure how much viable SSD are for VPS nodes in 2024, unless its for just raw storage or backups.

You use SSD’s for cold-ish storage/backups?

For things where IO perf doesn't matter. All our nodes are NVME, except stash vps plans which include very high storage space made for backups/storage.

• Just295Just295 Member

I think it really depends on your needs, for example I have 8 vps's with them, from the small to the extra large, nvme and ssd. I have them all spread out from a cpanel server for about 10 very low hit/traffic sites that have zero issue, a linux mirror, a legal torrent server, a legal plex server, a jump box, and a Windows box. All for me are fine. However I am currently running into a very stupid and problematic situation. I have a vps that I wanted to upgrade to the next level, you figure this is a no problem / daily upgrade right? Wrong, you can't do this, the upgrade has to be done via support and they can't just upgrade you; they have to * at least for me, move me to another server, and destory my vps and recreate it. While in this application that wouldn't be a problem as I was going to format it anyway, I can assume that many people would not like this. During this process I submitted this request last Wednesday the 3rd at 6:14am EST. It took support 2.5 days to actknowledge me and my request, another day to answer my "what is the status" and now currently they have gone dark. It is now Tuesday at 9:15am EST and nothing. So I just fired off an email telling them to stop the upgrade and cancel the vps.

I can also tell you that their support is not the most polite, and very much has a "stupid American" attitude. I state this off of a Windows to Linux install, that had me move to another server, when I asked about this I was told in now choice words, that if I understood licensing I would know that their platform was setup for Windows only and Linux only setups.

As far as speeds, they honestly are all over the place, mind you all my vps's are in St. Louis so I have no other locations to compare to, but they range from the 100Mb to a full 1Gb, but again its all over the place.

This is on what they now call their VPS 5, with the SSD option.
    https://staging.linuxmirrors.net

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks,
    Anthony

• suyadi92suyadi92 Member

It's just bad.

• emghemgh Member

@oplink said: For things where IO perf doesn't matter.

SSD's for where IO perf doesn't matter :D

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • WhiteRoseGWhiteRoseG Member
    edited April 9

yeahh wouldn use it for websites or any other business purpose, also support is not existing. for pushing data its fine only problem is port speed is limited and IO.

• I have been with @contabo_m from 2021,so far so good,will keep using them.
    All are annualy payment.
    Good or not,just try it,monthly payment first,if good,annually payment.