Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Two large network Drives, 500G+ and 1T+ for as cheap as possible
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Two large network Drives, 500G+ and 1T+ for as cheap as possible

kullgameskullgames Member
edited March 25 in Requests

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some kind of data replication for my existing local backup solution. I take daily backups that are about 150 gigs each. I would like to start storing the most recent 2 on one device, and the most recent 4 days' worth on another so I have a bit of redundancy that gets updated daily around 2 am PST. I've been seeing a lot of Ryzen 7950's with nvme like the one I have shown here.

CpuType: Ryzen 7950
Cores: 2 vCPU, 
Disk1 Space: 38 GB
Disk1 Type:  NVMe Storage, 
RAM: 2.5 GB DDR5 RAM
Bandwith: 8000GB Bandwidth
Port Speed: 1Gbps Public Network Port
Budgets: $3/month

I'd love to have a similar setup that also has access to a large drive I can use for my rolling backups. I'm also open to alternate solutions as long as it fits the budget and gets me the most space at the most speed. I don't want a dropbox like solution where you have to connect through an app or website. I would be ok with a solution where I mount the drive using nfs or smb as long as the speed is there, but would prefer a vps.

So my request is as shown below.

Budget: Total $8/m
Two devices
- First: $1-$6/cheaper the better as this is a backup of a backup.  
- Second: $1-$3/m, cheaper the better as this is a backup of a backup of a backup.   

VZ Type: KVM, or ANY

Cpu Type: Any, ideally Ryzen 7950
Number of Cores: 1+, ideally 2+
RAM: 1.5g+
Disk Space: 500g+ for first device, 1+ tb for second, ideally like 4+ tb for both
Disk Type: Any, hybrid ideally with a 20g+ nvme for the os and a second disk for storage.  In a dream world the second disk would be a ssd, but hdd is fine too.

Bandwidth: 5+tb/month, Ideally 10tb+ or unlimited at a capped rate that is faster than reading / writing to a hdd.   At most we will ever have 2 or 3 concurrent users. 
Port Speed: 1g+

DDoS Protection: No, but I wouldn't turn it down at no extra cost

Number of IPs:1

Location: Near Seattle and San Jose.  I have hosts in both locations that would be using this backup.  I also have people from France and Hermany who would access it.   But as its just a backup server location really doesn't matter.  Price and performance is more important than location for this request.

Billing period:
Monthly, Yearly, or 3 Year. 

I'm currently looking at getting one of of these this for $3.75/m

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/193663/host-c-xeon-v4-5tb-storage-deal-12-5-usd-quarter-45-usd-yr#latest

I'm not really sold on it as I'd prefer something closer to Seattle, but can't find anything else as close to what I'm looking for. For the second device I'd like it to be from a different host so both backups don't die in the same freak accident right when I need them.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

Why not just use something like backblaze b2?

$6/month per TB.

You can mount it as a drive using rclone; eg.

/usr/bin/rclone mount B2:Prod /opt/b2prod --daemon --allow-non-empty --vfs-cache-mode off --size-only --b2-hard-delete

Thanked by 1kullgames
  • Actually yeah, that does look pretty good. Their website has a unlimited plan for a single user. I have a server already if i could mount it as a drive then share it out using the nfs thats exactly what I want.

Is their unlimited plan at 189/2 year really unlimited? I make hourly backups too that are like 4 tb a week. If I could keep all of them forever that would be insane at 189/2 years.

• MoopahMoopah Member

@kullgames said:
    Actually yeah, that does look pretty good. Their website has a unlimited plan for a single user. I have a server already if i could mount it as a drive then share it out using the nfs thats exactly what I want.

Is their unlimited plan at 189/2 year really unlimited? I make hourly backups too that are like 4 tb a week. If I could keep all of them forever that would be insane at 189/2 years.

That $189 plan is for their backup offering and not for their B2 product

Thanked by 1kullgames
  • DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 26

We're about to launch our block storage product on our VPS line.

$5 /TB /month. Infiniband attached NVMe cached SAS storage. If you're interested, send me a PM and we can set you up.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited March 26

Disk Space: 500g+ for first device, 1+ tb for second, ideally like 4+ tb for both
    Disk Type: Any, hybrid ideally with a 20g+ nvme for the os and a second disk for storage. In a dream world the second disk would be a ssd, but hdd is fine too.

Bandwidth: 5+tb/month, Ideally 10tb+ or unlimited at a capped rate that is faster than reading / writing to a hdd. At most we will ever have 2 or 3 concurrent users.

We're near Seattle (as packets go), but can't meet the criteria of 7950X + >500GB disk space at $6.

Depending who you currently have services with there is a good chance we peer with them on SIX.

Our lowest tier of storage is going to give you 14G SSD OS space and 2TB of HDD space at $6/m. One of us could make sure you deploy to 2 unique nodes so it's not on the same chassis, but that's Xeon E5 v4 based.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe a ping to @rsk as I know he's in the same facility and only using 7950X w/big NVMe disks. I'm not sure about pricing but worth a shot.

Thanked by 1kullgames
  • kullgameskullgames Member
    edited March 26

Most of my vps are with racknerd in seattle, san jose, or ashburn, the rest is a century link home fiber.

• @crunchbits said:

Disk Type: Any, hybrid ideally with a 20g+ nvme for the os and a second disk for storage. In a dream world the second disk would be a ssd, but hdd is fine too.

Bandwidth: 5+tb/month, Ideally 10tb+ or unlimited at a capped rate that is faster than reading / writing to a hdd. At most we will ever have 2 or 3 concurrent users.

We're near Seattle (as packets go), but can't meet the criteria of 7950X + >500GB disk space at $6.

Depending who you currently have services with there is a good chance we peer with them on SIX.

Our lowest tier of storage is going to give you 14G SSD OS space and 2TB of HDD space at $6/m. One of us could make sure you deploy to 2 unique nodes so it's not on the same chassis, but that's Xeon E5 v4 based.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe a ping to @rsk as I know he's in the same facility and only using 7950X w/big NVMe disks. I'm not sure about pricing but worth a shot.

Looks good but out of stock, haven't seen a Spokane host before very cool.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@kullgames said:

There is some room for 2TB instances in Spokane now (and they're restocked/more units built every week). We'll just direct assign it if you wanted one.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Take a KS-1. I have 2 TB at 5 Eur. I think they have in Canada too.

• @crunchbits said:

@kullgames said:

There is some room for 2TB instances in Spokane now (and they're restocked/more units built every week). We'll just direct assign it if you wanted one.

Cool, I got one of these at $6 a month, now looking at the low end

Opossum 1 Storage VPS BF Special

** Max 2 Per Customer **
    1GB RAM
    1 vCPU Shared
    1TB HDD Storage
    RAIDz2 Storage
    4TB transfer on 1gbps
    or Unlimited on 100mbps
    1 IPv4 Included
    IPv6 available by request
    XenHVM (using our Xenica Control panel
    integrated with WHMCS)

29/year for 1tb hdd is pretty decent.

Can anyone find a better one?

• kullgameskullgames Member
    edited March 27

I found I can get one drive and rclone to work together. Setup rclone with their instructions with a name of onedrivebackup. Then I ran a systemd service, I'm using this as my cheap backup as I have 1tb in one drive with my msdn subscription. Good enough for now.

[Unit]
    Description=mounts the onedrive service with rclone
    After=network.target

[Service]
    User=root
    WorkingDirectory=/home/Mounts
    ExecStart=/bin/bash /home/Mounts/mountonedrive.sh

Restart=always
    RestartSec=30
    # Do not remove this!
    StandardInput=null

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

And the bash script

#!/bin/bash

# Ensure the mount directory exists
    MOUNT_POINT="/mnt/onedrivebackup"
    if [ ! -d "$MOUNT_POINT" ]; then
      mkdir -p "$MOUNT_POINT"
    fi

/usr/bin/rclone mount onedrivebackup: "$MOUNT_POINT" --allow-other --vfs-cache-mode writes