Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pulsedmedia - Thoughts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pulsedmedia - Thoughts?

Signed up for a SSD box to test the service. Purchased three days ago, received login details but they do not work. Still haven’t been able to access. Submitted ticket but no response. Is this the usual experience with this provider or have I simply joined at an very busy time?

Comments

• sliixsliix Member
  • bgerardbgerard Member

I've had fairly quick response times, likely slower on weekends. Don't expect 30 minute response times, but usually within a day.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited March 22

Bad provider.
    RAID 0 YOLO.
    Raises price 4.5x on a "recurring dealz" upon renewal.
    Won't buy again.

• homeoshomeos Member

@yoursunny said:
    Bad provider.
    RAID 0 YOLO.

Well it's a seedbox provider, so I guess it doesn't matter as much if you use it for seeding but I understand.

Raises price 4.5x on a "recurring dealz" upon renewal.

True. Hopefully this year's BF deals are as decent as last year so I can still use my €25/yr 2tb seedbox.

• Bad provider Seeding Is Disaster On DEDI Server Network Is Not Good Upload And Download

In TOTAL NO NO NO

• artxsartxs Member

@gaelicau said:
    Signed up for a SSD box to test the service. Purchased three days ago, received login details but they do not work.

That also happened to me. Your server will eventually get delivered and fixed but at his convenience. Good enough for torrenting but not for anything important. I cancelled my server since there are better alternatives even for torrents.

Thanked by 1gaelicau
  • @vahid9354 said:
    Bad provider Seeding Is Disaster On DEDI Server Network Is Not Good Upload And Download

In TOTAL NO NO NO

Weird. They promise:

Unmetered Bandwidth: Fair use policy still applies. There is no specific limit, it depends on the whole rack bandwidth utilization and your neighbors. Typically ~100TB/Month or ~300Mbps 95th Percentile is completely fine on 1Gbps, and 900TB/~3Gbps on 10Gbps Unmetered Servers. The ultimate limit depends on your neighbors on the same rack / TOR Switch. If you are unsure pick multiple smaller servers for your needs.

• try looking them up on r/seedboxes. Very bad

• I was hoping that their seedbox would be, if not efficient, at least stable ... I have to go through the panel to restart the services almost every day ... the speeds are mediocre ... So I consume:
    Disk 128 GiB/910 GiB
    Traffic 3950GiB / 10000GiB
    With the last deal discount, it's acceptable, but as the discount is non-renewable, I won't be staying, that's for sure.

• carp969carp969 Member

I have two seedboxes with them. I would not class myself as a heavy user by any means.

Both boxes came via here. I've found that it's best to use the qbittorrent client as rutorrent just isn't stable and needed restarting every week or so. Support is absolutely fine, it is not speedy and does need a nudge sometimes, but I justify that with I paid hardly anything for the service.

Speed is satisfactory for me, it's not at the same speed as the Ultra Seedbox I had before but that was three times the price.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • bgerardbgerard Member
    edited March 23

@carp969 said:
    I have two seedboxes with them. I would not class myself as a heavy user by any means.

Both boxes came via here. I've found that it's best to use the qbittorrent client as rutorrent just isn't stable and needed restarting every week or so. Support is absolutely fine, it is not speedy and does need a nudge sometimes, but I justify that with I paid hardly anything for the service.

Speed is satisfactory for me, it's not at the same speed as the Ultra Seedbox I had before but that was three times the price.

Yeah this is the thing, PulsedMedia is just never going to out perform UtraCC, but I also burn through my entire Ultra bandwidth limit rather quick. So from a seedbox perspective, the dedi boxes are quite good for acceptable speeds, a decent bandwidth allowance etc. However, this may only make sense if you're not using the machine are purely a seedbox. For me, it's a dedicated server for spinning up containers to do compute tasks, serve files to family, actually seed real Linux ISOs with the added benefit of being torrent friendly.

Ultimately, PM dedis are good if you want to serve a decent amount of data, have a nice amount of nvme storage and also host your own seedbox without worry. They're not good if you want to participate in torrent racing, run anything in production or max out a 1Gbit connection 24/7.

They're a hobbiest host, not for business needs or production usage and I think that's fine.

Edit: yeah the actual seedboxes, storage boxes or whatever they are, they're a bit old school. Wouldn't buy unless for storage.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • For the price point, PulsedMedia doesn't count.

But the one thing that sucks about their duffer is that there isn't any management platform. This actually causes a lot of inconvenience.

Even a PXE with automatic reloading would be nice.

• wii747wii747 Member

The traffic usage doesn’t reset every month they use an average usage rate.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

OPs tickets were acted up on, found accidentally ~half an hour ago another one of his tickets and accounts the ticket response time was like 10minutes.

To honor his/hers privacy, i won't indulge more.

• @PulsedMedia said:
    OPs tickets were acted up on, found accidentally ~half an hour ago another one of his tickets and accounts the ticket response time was like 10minutes.

To honor his/hers privacy, i won't indulge more.

The reviews on this page are now 4 letters starting with CR and ending on AP.
    I bet that it is better for your business to respond to this.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • Raj9119Raj9119 Member

I got a deal sb from them last August and to this day I have no problems. It a 1tb storage with I think 2 tb bandwidth. I run all my arrs on my local 'cough' 10 year old server with 8 tb hard drive. Never had issues with them what so ever. I do mostly grab copy seed for few days and delete so not a problem. Still cheaper and perfect for my usecase

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 24

PulsedMedia is great for seedbox offers. For dedicated servers though... I don't know. Here is a benchmark of MD14 dedicated server (currently idling like a champ).

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-03-05                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Sun 24 Mar 2024 04:59:58 AM EET

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 5 hours, 57 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500T CPU @ 2.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 1279.304 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 15.5 GiB
    Swap       : 7.5 GiB
    Disk       : 461.0 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Kernel     : 5.10.0-27-amd64
    VM Type    : NONE
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:
    ISP        : Magna Capax Finland Oy
    ASN        : AS203003 Magna Capax Finland Oy
    Host       : Magnacapax
    Location   : Helsinki, Uusimaa (18)
    Country    : Finland

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/nvme0n1p3):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 19.37 MB/s    (4.8k) | 224.93 MB/s   (3.5k)
    Write      | 19.37 MB/s    (4.8k) | 226.11 MB/s   (3.5k)
    Total      | 38.75 MB/s    (9.6k) | 451.04 MB/s   (7.0k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 369.88 MB/s    (722) | 171.74 MB/s    (167)
    Write      | 389.53 MB/s    (760) | 183.18 MB/s    (178)
    Total      | 759.42 MB/s   (1.4k) | 354.93 MB/s    (345)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 912 Mbits/sec   | 16.0 Mbits/sec  | 43.3 ms        
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 805 Mbits/sec   | 151 Mbits/sec   | 28.1 ms        
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | 949 Mbits/sec   | 56.6 Mbits/sec  | 0.936 ms       
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 869 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 116 ms         
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 740 Mbits/sec   | 38.2 Mbits/sec  | 199 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 799 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 168 ms         
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 867 Mbits/sec   | 35.0 Mbits/sec  | 93.0 ms        
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 729 Mbits/sec   | 3.88 Mbits/sec  | 204 ms         

YABS completed in 4 min 38 sec

• conceptconcept Member

Haven't had issues with them so far. When I needed help, my ticket was answered in about 3hrs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've had multiple PM seedboxes over the years.

Have 2 right now - an 8TB monster and a small 455G one I won in the provider awards.

In my experience, network speeds are great, even slurping stuff back home from Finland. Zero problems, and that 8TB guy has been chugging along for a couple years at this point. Had others before that with no problems.

@yoursunny said: RAID 0 YOLO.

If you pick a RAID0 package, you get RAID0. If you don't want that, don't pick a RAID0 package.

I've tried various seedbox providers:

• RapidSeedbox was just too expensive for what you get
    • Justseed.it deadpooled and the owner went psycho
    • Ultraseedbox shit the bed so many times they had to rename themselves Ultra.cc and they still shit the bed. They even forgot to bill me some months.

PulsedMedia has been rock solid throughout. The owner participates here and has been fun to talk with. We did an interview back in 2020.

I think being a seedbox provider is a tough business. Not only do you have your disks being hammered 24x7, but each VPS or server is opening up a billion connections to random hosts. And there's probably tons of DMCAs or equivalents, plus a lot of your customers are yokels who have no idea what they're doing but want teh fr33 p0rn!!!1!

I love @PulsedMedia and even though I have my own Hetzner-hosted seedbox, I still keep my PM around because they just work. BTW I think 2TB of that 8TB is bonus disk that's been added over the time I've had it.

• I use a very cheap ssd seedbox(I believe the cheapest) I got for free for a little over 3 years from @PulsedMedia with credits and while it is obviously very over loaded in the CPU department(causing some glitches on the GUI) the bandwidth is very very reasonable. I have used it a bunch and essentially so issues - just seed and then use ssh to copy the file remotely.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • i use ultra.cc they good at all

• sliixsliix Member

@raindog308 said:
    I've tried various seedbox providers:

• Justseed.it deadpooled and the owner went psycho

Wait what happened with justseed.it owner? I really love the service back then and suddenly the owner said they wanted to stop the service. I recall they said it's related to constant legal thing or something.

@default said:
    PulsedMedia is great for seedbox offers. For dedicated servers though... I don't know. Here is a benchmark of MD14 dedicated server (currently idling like a champ).

|                      |                     

Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 912 Mbits/sec   | 16.0 Mbits/sec  | 43.3 ms        
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 805 Mbits/sec   | 151 Mbits/sec   | 28.1 ms        
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | 949 Mbits/sec   | 56.6 Mbits/sec  | 0.936 ms       
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 869 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 116 ms         
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 740 Mbits/sec   | 38.2 Mbits/sec  | 199 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 799 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 168 ms         
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 867 Mbits/sec   | 35.0 Mbits/sec  | 93.0 ms        
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 729 Mbits/sec   | 3.88 Mbits/sec  | 204 ms         

Install NIC drivers. That's exactly how the Realtek nic behaves with the FOSS drives. r8168-dkms solves that.
    Now when reinstalled those come by default.

As for the IOPS, there's clearly an issue with the node. Open support ticket, most likely you will need replacement. Should be at least 5x that performance on 1M.

@raindog308 said: I think being a seedbox provider is a tough business. Not only do you have your disks being hammered 24x7, but each VPS or server is opening up a billion connections to random hosts. And there's probably tons of DMCAs or equivalents, plus a lot of your customers are yokels who have no idea what they're doing but want teh fr33 p0rn!!!1!

It's super tough. Even on this thread that one guy complaining performance?
    I have a hunch he paid like 3€ a month for that, and he is consuming 100x what typical VPS of that price range uses in bandwidth. Being torrents, it probably means 1000x the IOPS.
    What i've talked with VPS providers, a typical vps in the 5€ a month price range uses just few Mbps in BW. To the tune of of like 50gigs per month for average VPS.
    With that little BW use, there's not much IOPS use either.

Forget even 1 public torrent running and your little SB uses the same resources as 10x typical VPS instances ... or with public one 100x.

It's so heavy use that typical QEMU setup isn't even stable due to the high and constant RAM, IOPS, BW usage. The defaults on proxmox? Forget about them.
    That's the typical configs all VM providers use.
    It doesn't help that rTorrent is also extremely unstable piece of software.

Only thing VPS uses more is CPU and IPs. We all know the VPS for idling jokes.

Talking with VPS providers, it's insane how little typical VPS uses from SB provider perspective, especially bandwidth and performance. Unless it's being used as a SB.

Yet, as a SB provider, we have to provide the same price point, everyone compares to a VPS. But still provide more storage capacity at higher performance, 100-10 000x the bandwidth (and accompanying IO performance)

Oh and demands for ridiculous configs like 100Gbps Unmetered on NVMe RAID10 Array with 2TB of storage, with high availability, root access, dedicated cores, at least 16G of ram. All for 15€ a month. No more.
    even then someone would be unsatisfied with the performance when they can't force feed 100Gbps on a rural Indian dialup connection, on single thread.

Maybe we should do some VPS special with the special SB sauce added on it; We just received 10x Dual E5-v4 (20-24c/40-48t each), 256G RAM, 10x 2.5" SAS nodes ;)
    It's just those are wildly different configs and shelling out 17 500 to 35 000€ just to prove a point ... not a sound business decision (100x2 or 4TB SSD, 1-2x /24 IPv4)

@yoursunny's issue is that we didn't deadpool in order to give him near free service forever (or until we deadpool the next spring), and we don't like mass surveillance and go counter to CCP agenda; privacy matters and all that jazz. He had like 18€/Year special from Black Friday, and when energy crisis came about, we couldn't support plans below certain price threshold anymore.
    It was a choice; Outright terminate seedboxes completely, or increase prices, and way more on the low end to sustainable levels.

He also likes to exaggerate things, avoid the facts, paint different picture than reality, like claiming he never got what he was promised/got cancelled mid term; Despite he got the full year at the 18€ and was very very satisfied with the service.
    Never mind getting called out for his pro CCP antics.

Even before energy crisis, electricity was our single largest cost, even more than bandwidth. Then you get hit suddenly with 4x pricing, potential for 10x pricing ...
    The cost leader marketing antics cost more in electricity alone prior to energy crisis than the revenue was, i think it was like 12W per SB user global average. At say Hetzner pricing of 22cents kwh at that time that's 1.94€/Month per seedbox, in power alone.

@BruhGamer12 said: I use a very cheap ssd seedbox(I believe the cheapest) I got for free for a little over 3 years from @PulsedMedia with credits and while it is obviously very over loaded in the CPU department(causing some glitches on the GUI) the bandwidth is very very reasonable. I have used it a bunch and essentially so issues - just seed and then use ssh to copy the file remotely.

Could you drop a ticket on what node is limited with CPU? It's first time i hear that happening, most likely it's I/O Wait, but being SSD, those don't tend get to bogged down, so it's probably something else (like RAM, BW, or just rtorrent being it's usual slow self)
    Just collecting data for next generation.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 24

@PulsedMedia said:

@default said:

|                      |                     

Install NIC drivers. That's exactly how the Realtek nic behaves with the FOSS drives. r8168-dkms solves that.
    Now when reinstalled those come by default.

As for the IOPS, there's clearly an issue with the node. Open support ticket, most likely you will need replacement. Should be at least 5x that performance on 1M.

It's OK. The server is already marked for cancellation; I don't want to keep it. You may fix it after cancellation.

Keep up the good work with the seedboxes.

EDIT: Driver was already installed when benchmark was done: "r8168-dkms is already the newest version (8.048.03-3)".

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@PulsedMedia said:
    we don't like mass surveillance and go counter to CCP agenda

@angstrom issues another warning or maybe a 7-day ban.

• @yoursunny said:

@PulsedMedia said:
    we don't like mass surveillance and go counter to CCP agenda

@angstrom issues another warning or maybe a 7-day ban.

I have a feeling you hate them because there is no ipv6

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • sunnygsunnyg Member

I'm surprised you didn't piss off the owner. I was expecting him to terminate your service before it was delivered.

• Is @yoursunny really CCP shill though? I have never seen him talk about it here.