Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo India Location is going to live very soon - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo India Location is going to live very soon

2»

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@neverain said:

@FatGrizzly said: Not defending MudiJi here, but any Govt can ask a provider and they must comply.

Its just a bit strict in India

Most gov dont force logging of all VPN activity (for 6 months i think) and force KYC verification just for renting servers and considering our governments treatment of journalists (and general responses to mild criticism), this wont end well. I am surprised no one pushed back against this.

India isn't that technically oriented yet, hear me out, Most normal Indians won't give a fuck when something is blocked, unless its something huge that everyone uses.

Tech community AFAIK isn't as strong as any other nation in India, people are money motivated(best one to describe would be, best phone under 20000 budget searches and such)

I wouldn't say people aren't into tech enough, but we are still lagging behind a few aspects, and I hope we will soon in the future.

best example would be,

(25/27[excluding me])Classmates thought I was hacking when I modified BIOS time since Chrome was throwing SSL Errors.

Thats how backward we are on education, note: I study in a well posh private school.

One thing I'm happy about is, the pandemic increased the tech knowledge of people around me, atleast to a certain level that they are self sustainable rather than bugging me to fix X and such.

after typing this out, I realised I'm derailing.

I'll stop.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited March 23

@neverain said:

@FatGrizzly said: Not defending MudiJi here, but any Govt can ask a provider and they must comply.

Most gov dont force logging of all VPN activity (for 6 months i think) and force KYC verification just for renting servers and considering our governments treatment of journalists (and general responses to mild criticism), this wont end well. I am surprised no one pushed back against this.

1. How do you know such laws are not enforced?
    2. India’s recently updated VPN data law requires all VPNs to collect and store customer details for at least 5 years and logging for rolling at least 180 days, even if the customer had service just for 1 week.
    3. KYC is everywhere. Even for getting a prepaid SIM card, lot of paperwork is needed. Here, I can walk into Kroger, pay for sim kit with cash, put the sim (or eSim) into phone and setup online. No Aadhar Card equivalent SSN is needed.

On the other hand there are strict laws (on paper) for getting medicines without prescription, yet almost all medications can be bought by anyone without any prescription. Everyone knows that this law is hardly enforced. But in case, if authorities need to charge a chemist (pharmacist term in India) for any reason, then this law could very well be used.

Thanked by 1hostkar
  • neverainneverain Member
    edited March 23

@dev_vps said:

@neverain said:

1. How do you know such laws are not enforced?
    2. India’s recently updated VPN data law requires all VPNs to collect and store customer data and logging for at least five years, even if the customer had service just for 1 week.
    3. KYC is everywhere. Even for getting a prepaid SIM card, lot of paperwork is needed. Here, I can walk into Kroger, pay for sim kit with cash, put the sim (or eSim) into phone and setup online. No Aadhar Card equivalent SSN is needed.

1: wdym? its not enforced because that law doesnt exist. I think we are talking about different things here. In most countries, logs are only kept after the provider gets a court order to log that info, In India VPN providers are asked to keep the logs of all their customers from the start, rendering the vpn useless for privacy.

2: yep, that is what iam talking about!

3: yeah that is the problem, 0 privacy. And its a lot of control for a country that likes to play with internet a little too much https://internetshutdowns.in/

btw if you are going to ask me why privacy is important, read this : https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/03/17/india-authorities-revoke-visa-privileges-diaspora-critics

@dev_vps said: On the other hand there are strict laws (on paper) for getting medicines without prescription, yet almost all medications can be bought by anyone without any prescription. Everyone knows that this law is hardly enforced. But in case, if authorities need to charge a chemist (pharmacist term in India) for any reason, then this law could very well be used.

i dont understand what you are trying to say lol, is the law fine because they wont enforce it?

I bought indian server from 2 lowendtalk providers and both of them asked for KYC.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited March 23

@neverain said:

@dev_vps said:
    On the other hand there are strict laws (on paper) for getting medicines without prescription, yet almost all medications can be bought by anyone without any prescription. Everyone knows that this law is hardly enforced. But in case, if authorities need to charge a chemist (pharmacist term in India) for any reason, then this law could very well be used.

i dont understand what you are trying to say lol, is the law fine because they wont enforce it?

My point such laws (such as selling medicines without valid prescription) are specifically used to target individuals where they have nothing else against him.

Law makes sense when it is implemented fairly across board.

I bought indian server from 2 lowendtalk providers and both of them asked for KYC.

Ask yourself why small providers ask for such detailed KYC whereas AWS does not.

Thanked by 2neverain Abd