Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Silicon Valley DC | EU & US VPS from $2/m or $9/Y | Double BW | CTO plans | FREE VPN Autoinstall - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Silicon Valley DC | EU & US VPS from $2/m or $9/Y | Double BW | CTO plans | FREE VPN Autoinstall

13»

Comments

• aegaeg Member

I mean if he wanted a useless answer, he could have asked ChatGPT directly.

• dapavndapavn Member, Patron Provider

@aeg said:
    I mean if he wanted a useless answer, he could have asked ChatGPT directly.

Instead, he chooses to ask me. He asked for the differences and that is the "definition" of their differences, why would that bother you, I don't get it. Why would you feel like jumping into this conversation, again I don't get it! Knowing that LXC is a container technology as opposed to KVM which is full virtualization is all he needed to know to put things together and realize the differences between a VPS in a container sharing the same host and a fully virtualized one. May I add that this is a free forum where members can help each other(even has a Help section just for this) so if you had a better response you could have jumped in to give a better answer. Tired of hate as I am all day working to satisfy every request, problem, or question that comes my way. Hope you have a great day and please try to bring value to this forum, not HATE.

• aegaeg Member

No, he didn't ask for the architectural differences between LXC and KVM technologies. He asked if there are performance differences. Performance refers to CPU speed/share, disk throughput, and network throughput. Also implicit in his question was that he was not asking about LXC and KVM in general. He was asking about the performance of LXC and KVM services offered by VPSforVPN, as provisioned by VPSforVPN, so he could make an informed purchase decision.

I should also add that your answer was not merely uninformative in that context, it was also wrong: "[KVM] allows you to run multiple, isolated guest operating systems, each with their own kernel" applies to KVM as viewed by a provider, but a customer would be able to run only a single guest per VPS.

I want you to succeed. Did you ever contact a provider with a question, expecting an expert answer, only to get back a dumb response with information you already found on Google? It's frustrating, isn't it? Is that the experience you want your customers to have?

• stxshstxsh Member
    edited March 30

@aeg

it was also wrong: "[KVM] allows you to run multiple, isolated guest operating systems, each with their own kernel" applies to KVM as viewed by a provider, but a customer would be able to run only a single guest per VPS.

technically, kvm with nested virtualization allows you to run multiple.

edit: also, on the same host with the same specs for each vps, lxc would be more performant due to the overhead (or lack of).

not choosing sides, just saying.