Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider deleted my VM on the invoice due date - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider deleted my VM on the invoice due date

2»

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 4

Payment is like a contract, from date A to date B. If you don't pay, provider has no right to keep your data outside contract (for your privacy); therefore data is deleted immediately outside contract terms. This is why providers send multiple notifications in advance for payment. Some even offer automated payments if you wish to give them your bank card; others try to offer automated Paypal subscriptions or agreements.

Things are quite simple: no money = no honey; because money were created to help one another in trade and let humanity grow until a point of evolution when money is no longer needed.

• DazzleDazzle Member
    edited March 4

Zero-day termination is quite harsh, tbh. People may having difficulties like the OP.

Thanked by 2rafaelscs Plioser
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@nigga44life said:
    Provider deleted my VM on the invoice due date
    I have a situation here with wishosting, were the provider deleted my VM immeidatly after the invoice due date. I missed payment by one day due to payment issue with my bank.
    And as all providers they suspend the service and after some day they close the service. But this is not what happened here, as they suspend the service, closed, and deleted my VM with all data at the same time immediately by start of next day. I know it is my fault to miss the payment, but also they shouldn't delete the data immediatly without time for suspension, if they care for the client's data.
    Please let me know your opinion in this situation. and what should I do to get my data.

I have seen providers say don't open a ticket for cancellations, if you don't want to renew your service, simply don't pay the invoice.

You still haven't answered if you opened a ticket before this happened, telling the host you were having issues with your bank, asking for a few extra days..

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

1st invoice overdue, suspend and straight up delete?

Damn, that's pretty hardcore.

I've heard and experienced service suspension on 1st invoice overdue, but never suspend + delete.

Stay strong and get the restoration process underway.

Thanked by 2rafaelscs indiankesh
  • JosephFJosephF Member

How difficult is restoring from a backup?

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@JosephF said: How difficult is restoring from a backup?

What is this "backup" you speak of? Does it exist in the same fabled regions as the mysterious "dev system"?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • i solidarity with op, if buyshared were that way, would be so screwed, so much delayed payments

• @kevinds said:

@JosephF said: How difficult is restoring from a backup?

What is this "backup" you speak of? Does it exist in the same fabled regions as the mysterious "dev system"?

its same of disaster recovery by OVH

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@default said:
    Payment is like a contract, from date A to date B. If you don't pay, provider has no right to keep your data outside contract (for your privacy); therefore data is deleted immediately outside contract terms. This is why providers send multiple notifications in advance for payment. Some even offer automated payments if you wish to give them your bank card; others try to offer automated Paypal subscriptions or agreements.

This is actually true, but not widely known.
    If the provider does not receive payment before it's due, this could be considered a cancellation of contract. Without contract, the provider is not allowed to store your data.
    There are some gray areas and different interpretations of this and of course, local legislation may differ, but I know companies that have gotten in trouble for keeping customers data on hold while payment was overdue.

And as always when threads like this is started, I just have to ask: if the data is important, why do you not have backup? And if the server is vital, why do you not pay the bills?
    It must be a generational thing, I just don't get it...

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 4

@rcy026 said:

@default said:

This is actually true, but not widely known.
    If the provider does not receive payment before it's due, this could be considered a cancellation of contract. Without contract, the provider is not allowed to store your data.
    There are some gray areas and different interpretations of this and of course, local legislation may differ, but I know companies that have gotten in trouble for keeping customers data on hold while payment was overdue.

And as always when threads like this is started, I just have to ask: if the data is important, why do you not have backup? And if the server is vital, why do you not pay the bills?
    It must be a generational thing, I just don't get it...

I also wondered the same thing, the only explanation I can come up with is: entitled. The young generations we live in are entitled because they are developed with rights and positivism and selfish identification without deep compromise in understanding. This is why they tend to lose millions.

• provider don't owe you shit op

• they already send notifications in advance
    • invoice are made before expiry day (typically 7 days, but sometimes 14 days)
    • if it's important, don't you mark them in your calendar and have a reminder? tf are your finances doing?
    • you say hurrrr muh important data and yet you have no daily backup with hourly incremental backup? pfffttt your business isn't worth a shit and your data is worthless
    • overall, it's your fault.
    • $7
  • JosephFJosephF Member

Why so harsh on the OP? He said clearly it's his fault and he was just asking for others opinions on the situation.

• Sorry OP. Hope you find a solution from the provider, If not consider it a lesson.

It helped me understand these things also happen with low-end providers. Thanks for sharing.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@nigga44life said:
    what should I do to get my data.

I advise you to restore the data from your backups, we no longer have it.

Regarding the whole situation, we were not informed that the client was having difficulties with paying their invoices. If the invoice is not paid, we assume the client is not interested in continuing to use the service unless they tell us otherwise.

@jcolideles said:
    2) There is a $15 administration fee for changing the due date of the invoice. The customer account must be in good standing with Wishosting and the new due date can't be more than 14 days ahead of the initial one.

This is there for us to point to the clients who ask to move the invoice due date every month. If you are a long-standing client this can be done free of charge but you NEED to raise a ticket for that. Otherwise, there is no way for us to know you intend to keep the service.

All-in-all, I regret that this happened to you but there is nothing we can do to help you to restore your data, please use your backups to get it back.

Thanked by 2ehab maverick
  • systemfreakssystemfreaks Member, Patron Provider

I believe the problem is that you didn't contact them immediately once you realised you can't complete the payment .

We usually suspend the service for 10 days once their pass the service gets terminated automatically. if a client reach to us mentioning an issue with the payment we had cases that we maintained the services online for about a month ... So yes it really depends on your providers and ToS you agreed too, backups are also destroyed on termination

• wotetiwoteti Member

@nigga44life said:
    Even If I have full backups, this will take days to setup the VM again.

If it's a hassle for you to do it, it's also a hassle for other people to do it for you. Lesson of the day: always pick a service with enough network pipe to get your data in and out quickly.

A human deletion within minutes of overdue is a bit hardcore, but understandable if the service is very cheap. Plus the highly automated ones also do it immediately upon credit exhaustion I think. So it's nothing criminal.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • rcy026rcy026 Member

@JosephF said:
    Why so harsh on the OP? He said clearly it's his fault and he was just asking for others opinions on the situation.

And others opinion seems to be that op is an entitled snowflake.
    If he doesn't like the opinion, he shouldn't have asked for it.