Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider deleted my VM on the invoice due date
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider deleted my VM on the invoice due date

nigga44lifenigga44life Member
edited March 4 in Providers

Hi,
I have a situation here with wishosting, were the provider deleted my VM immeidatly after the invoice due date. I missed payment by one day due to payment issue with my bank.
And as all providers they suspend the service and after some day they close the service. But this is not what happened here, as they suspend the service, closed, and deleted my VM with all data at the same time immediately by start of next day. I know it is my fault to miss the payment, but also they shouldn't delete the data immediatly without time for suspension, if they care for the client's data.
Please let me know your opinion in this situation. and what should I do to get my data.

Comments

• NaomiiNaomii Member

You can't get the data back if they deleted the VM, you should make backups.

Thanked by 2JellyBrain NessaCat
  • marianmarian Member

@nigga44life said: if they care for the client's data

do you care about your data?

• Nigga4Life G, but yes your too late so own fault, a lot of providers do this, if you choose a more professional hosting partner this would not happen since they have enough money and don't care about 5 bucks.

• How exactly are we going to help you get your data? Build you time machine?
    It's gone, time to move on

Thanked by 1thane
  • The questions is not about backups or data here, it is about the steps to terminate the service of your clients if they miss payment on the due date

• balrammbalramm Member, Host Rep

They should retain data for at least three days, but I don't blame them as you should always clear any dues three to four days early if data is important to you.

• emghemgh Member

@nigga44life said:
    The questions is not about backups or data here, it is about the steps to terminate the service of your clients if they miss payment on the due date

If you had issues paying, why didn't you contact them about it?

• jordijordi Member, Patron Provider

Have you tried contacting your provider and asking if they have a backup?

• @balramm said: They should retain data for at least three days, but I don't blame them as you should always clear any dues three to four days early if data is important to you.

They didnt even keep for minutes. I had issue with my bank and was trying to settle this while they deleted the VM immediately.

• @jordi said: Have you tried contacting your provider and asking if they have a backup?

I did and they said No

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 4

@nigga44life said:

@jordi said: Have you tried contacting your provider and asking if they have a backup?

I did and they said No

nvm, please answer this though:

@emgh said: If you had issues paying, why didn't you contact them about it?

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member

You could have paid a few days earlier instead of waiting until the last day...

• nigga44lifenigga44life Member
    edited March 4
  • NaomiiNaomii Member

@nigga44life said:
    The questions is not about backups or data here, it is about the steps to terminate the service of your clients if they miss payment on the due date

Technically, you didn't ask any question(s).

@nigga44life said:
    Hi,
    I have a situation here with wishosting, were the provider deleted my VM immeidatly after the invoice due date. I missed payment by one day due to payment issue with my bank.
    And as all providers they suspend the service and after some day they close the service. But this is not what happened here, as they suspend the service, closed, and deleted my VM with all data at the same time immediately by start of next day. I know it is my fault to miss the payment, but also they shouldn't delete the data immediatly without time for suspension, if they care for the client's data.
    Please let me know your opinion in this situation. and what should I do to get my data.

And: Please let me know your opinion in this situation. and what should I do to get my data.
    You did say what you should do to get your data back. Opinions aren't going to help, unfortunately, every host may have a different policy for non-payment.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 4

@nigga44life said: Please let me know your opinion in this situation.

Read the TOS before buying, if there is no wording about "We wait X days to delete" assume it's instant. If in doubt ask support before buying.
    If having problems with paying message support before due date.
    Some people run it this way, some run it other and give you some time. Don't assume things - ask, read.

@nigga44life said: what should I do to get my data.

Restore from backup because for sure you

@nigga44life said: care for the yours [client's] data.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

I think you should have contacted them BEFORE the due date.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 4

Do they mention that due date is the service termination date somewhere at their website? It may be Terms of Service/Terms and Conditions page for example.

Situation could be handled better by both sides, but it is not something common in lowend environment.

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • @tentor said:
    Do they mention that due date is the service termination date somewhere at their website? It may be Terms of Service/Terms and Conditions page for example.

Situation could be handled better by both of sides, but it is not something common in lowend environment.

2) There is a $15 administration fee for changing the due date of the invoice. The customer account must be in good standing with Wishosting and the new due date can't be more than 14 days ahead of the initial one.

https://www.wishosting.com/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/view/11/terms-of-service/

• I assumed I will be able to pay next day, which is my fault. But now I have a big issue because they deleted the VM. Even If I have full backups, this will take days to setup the VM again. It is a sad day in my life. I have been with them for years now, and it is the first time I miss an invoice. But it seems once and for all :(

Thanked by 1yoursunny
    edited March 4

@jcolideles said:
    2) There is a $15 administration fee for changing the due date of the invoice. The customer account must be in good standing with Wishosting and the new due date can't be more than 14 days ahead of the initial one.

https://www.wishosting.com/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/view/11/terms-of-service/

Isn't it too much for late payment?

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • Even though, I can pay the 15$ if they restore it. @exception0x876

@tentor said: Isn't it too much for late payment?

>

• JabJabJabJab Member

@tentor said: Isn't it too much for late payment?

We all know that TOS is there to cover ass :)

Plus do you really think 15$ is "too much" for admin manual work to change dates, make sure servers don't get suspended and 'gamble' that user actually gonna pay rather than run away?

@JabJab said: do you really think 15$ is "too much" for admin manual work to change dates, make sure servers don't get suspended and 'gamble' that user actually gonna pay rather than run away?

I am thinking of automated solutions not requiring staff intervention. Because, if billing is performed manually actually, what is a point of a paid billing? Just for a fancy UI?

• JabJabJabJab Member

@tentor said: I am thinking of automated solutions not requiring staff intervention. Because, if billing is performed manually actually, what is a point of a paid billing? Just for a fancy UI?

Have you ever seen automated solution for people moving theirs open invoices up to 14 days into future? Where, how?

@JabJab said: Have you ever seen automated solution for people moving theirs open invoices up to 14 days into future? Where, how?

This feature is called overdraft. There are different implementations but you are right it is not widespread one.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@nigga44life said:
    I assumed I will be able to pay next day, which is my fault. But now I have a big issue because they deleted the VM. Even If I have full backups, this will take days to setup the VM again. It is a sad day in my life. I have been with them for years now, and it is the first time I miss an invoice. But it seems once and for all :(

You have been with them for years so they are probably not bad.

Just use the backup and move on, it's not something to really blame the provider unless provider deleted your VM before the due date or even after you requested them to wait for a day or two and they still deleted it

I'm not supporting that services should be deleted without waiting for X Days, but still for low end market, you can't be sure anything can happen.

Always ask and keep backups.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

It differs, most providers give you a few days, some instant suspend, some instant suspend and then shortly after delete it.

If you have something important, backups and pay on time or pay months/weeks ahead.

• Monday is international delete VM day, didn't you know that OP?

Thanked by 1rafaelscs
  • _MS__MS_ Member