Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH: Closure of Bare Metal servers in Roubaix 1 and price increase
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH: Closure of Bare Metal servers in Roubaix 1 and price increase

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Anyone else getting this?

As part of our project to make our datacentres hyper-resilient, we are starting the transformation of the RBX1 datacentre. Our aim is to modernise our infrastructure, in particular, the building where we house servers hosting all our cloud services.
Despite our utmost efforts, this modernisation cannot be carried out without affecting your services.

We are writing to inform you that, as a result, the following Bare Metal servers will be closing down on 31 December 2024,
nsXXXXXX.ip-XX-XX-XX.eu - SK - RBX1

From this date, your servers hosted in the RBX1 datacentre will no longer be functional, and the service will be terminated. In the meantime, we will ensure the best conditions to help you migrate.

However, you will be charged an extra €5 monthly per server for the maintenance of your machines in the RBX1 datacentre until the scheduled closure on 31 December 2024. From 15 April 2024, the new price for your servers will be applied on renewal of your services.

RIP my full Gbit KS4C.

Thanked by 2titus licher70

Comments

• remyremy Member
    edited February 28

I don't have servers there.
    I wonder if this only concerns kimsufi range.
    It seems difficult if not impossible to terminate the services of all the customers hosted in this datacenter. But who knows

I had read that they wanted to improve fire safety in this datacenter, which is rather old.

• Got the same for my 2TB i5-2400. Sucks, that was pretty damn good value even with the price increase awhile back from 14.99 to 16.49.

• wtf just make new building modern and give me discount for the construction noise

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said: RIP my full Gbit KS4C.

>

How much you pay for this? And what specs?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Calin said: How much you pay for this? And what specs?

10.99 EUR for i5-2400 / 16GB / 2TB. It is listed as KS3C in the panel with specs worse by half, but not only got better hardware, but also Gbit both ways on v4 and v6.

I wonder if this "closure" is a scam just to get rid of the low-priced sale servers. Anyone with a full-price offer in RBX1 got the same letter?

• @rm_ said:
    I wonder if this "closure" is a scam just to get rid of the low-priced sale servers. Anyone with a full-price offer in RBX1 got the same letter?

They wouldn't need to play ring around the rosie to do this, they discontinued the old SYS ARM storage servers by just giving those owners a notice of discontinuation.

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 28

They just want to kick all the cheapskates out.
    Imagine paying 9€ for a 16gig i5 with 2TB HDD in 2024.

The power costs more than you pay them.

• I have one server in RBX5 - Roubaix and did not receive the email. It seems OVH only just touched on RBX1 servers.
    If you are going to cancel the server, please let me know. I need one more server soon for 2024 only.

Thanked by 1licher70
  • I have one in RBX3 and also, I didn't recieve any e-mail.

@trungkien said: If you are going to cancel the server, please let me know. I need one more server soon for 2024 only.

I am on the old Kimsufi panel, where you can't change contacts yourself to transfer the server. And transferring via ticket does not seem optimistic.

Besides, would you even want it with the 5 EUR price increase? Will be 15.99 from April onwards.

Thanked by 1trungkien
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

As a result, 49 servers were affected. I don't know why to do this. Apparently there is no money in Europe.

@Neoon said: They just want to kick all the cheapskates out.

It affected not only cheap services, but also others that are available on the 91.121.. network

• emghemgh Member

It’s great that they’re upgrading their dc’s, if that’s what this is. The warning is also much longer in-before compared to what could have been the case, as expected with a prod-ready provider

• @rm_ said:

@trungkien said: If you are going to cancel the server, please let me know. I need one more server soon for 2024 only.

I am on the old Kimsufi panel, where you can't change contacts yourself to transfer the server. And transferring via ticket does not seem optimistic.

Besides, would you even want it with the 5 EUR price increase? Will be 15.99 from April onwards.

I'm happy paying $15.99 as It is a short-term project with Proxmox. I also have an old kimsufi account at https://www.kimsufi.com/fr/manager/ if it can work with transfering. Could you drop at ticket with OVH to seê if transferring is okay with them. Thank you!

• @emgh said:
    It’s great that they’re upgrading their dc’s, if that’s what this is. The warning is also much longer in-before compared to what could have been the case, as expected with a prod-ready provider

OVH is not LET ready provider for sure. If they were LET ready, they would have decommissioned all servers 14 days ago without letting customers know.

• GlixGlix Member

Would love to know how they can actually justify the increase:

However, you will be charged an extra €5 monthly per server for the maintenance of your machines in the RBX1 datacentre until the scheduled closure on 31 December 2024. From 15 April 2024, the new price for your servers will be applied on renewal of your services.

the new price for your servers will be applied on renewal of your services.

So I'm paid up till Nov currently, so does that mean, they would want it at that time, or after april, I will owe them more to keep it going?

edited February 28

@Glix said: Would love to know how they can actually justify the increase

As I guessed, they will start demolishing parts of the building, so have to cart around the remaining servers into the still non-demolished parts to keep them running, and that incurs an expense. No other justification comes to mind.

@Glix said: So I'm paid up till Nov currently, so does that mean, they would want it at that time, or after april, I will owe them more to keep it going?

I suppose if you already renewed, then you don't get the price hike on the paid period. Also still plenty of time till April 15th to renew all the way to December in advance, if anyone wants that. But I wouldn't totally discount the possibility that they ask for some extra payment even then, or that servers might end up non-functional some time earlier than December 31st.

• GlixGlix Member

@rm_ said:

Thanks, not sure I want them carting my server around (old hdd ks-7) as I don't think it would survive a knock :smiley:.

Now to find a new server before everyone else snaps them up. I assume ordering a new server wouldn't place me back in RBX1.

@Glix said: I assume ordering a new server wouldn't place me back in RBX1.

Ordering somewhere else than OVH certainly will not ;)

• GlixGlix Member

@rm_ said:

@Glix said: I assume ordering a new server wouldn't place me back in RBX1.

Ordering somewhere else than OVH certainly will not ;)

I'm budget limited hah, I want bare metal but not commercial/b2b level and have a few vps's but they aren't good for docker/games.

• titustitus Member
    edited February 28

"In the meantime, we will ensure the best conditions to help you migrate."

It mean something like a "migration offer"?
    They offer similar server specifications / price range (from other DC) exclusively to the affected clients? Or this sentence technically mean nothing? ("Order something from our exist products it you want..).

Interesting and really unfriendly for me the solution what they chosen to manage this. Of course, I know: "it's only a business".

edited February 28

@titus said: It mean something like a "migration offer"?

Yes, further down in the letter there's also a 15% off coupon for the first 12 months on any dedie, and another coupon for no setup fee. IOW pretty mediocre offers. It says you can combine both, but it appears only when you order 2 separate servers, using one coupon on each.

Thanked by 1titus
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I didn't get that notice and I have 2 servers in roubaix 1.
    I just renewed to make sure I don't get any price increase :P

• adnsadns Member

I have an e3-1245 v2, 32 GB RAM 2x960 GB SSD config in GRA1 for 14.99 eur/mo + VAT. I hoppe that they will not kick the low-end users, I am very sattisfied with this service since I ordered it on 2022 Black Friday.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@adns said: I have an e3-1245 v2, 32 GB RAM 2x960 GB SSD config in GRA1 for 14.99 eur/mo + VAT. I hoppe that they will not kick the low-end users, I am very sattisfied with this service since I ordered it on 2022 Black Friday.

you lucky b... They auto cancelled mine after 12 months.

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited February 28

Are there any other cheap dedis that can match this offer? since I haven't seen kimsufi do a flashsale for a while now

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

OVH said:
    As part of our project to make our datacentres hyper-resilient ...

As in "fire-resilient flooring"? Or, but maybe that's driving it too far out, as in "tier 2"?
    Anyway laudable to make the step towards HYPER-resilience...

(Sorry that you're loosing a dedi you liked)

edited February 28

@Maounique said: I didn't get that notice and I have 2 servers in roubaix 1.

Given quite muted response to this thread and not much drama, it appears only a very small number of servers is affected, so actually far from the entire DC closing down. Maybe something like a single /24, 250 servers or so.

• cpsdcpsd Member

I also have one affected server. Damm it.

• adnsadns Member

@Maounique said:

@adns said: I have an e3-1245 v2, 32 GB RAM 2x960 GB SSD config in GRA1 for 14.99 eur/mo + VAT. I hoppe that they will not kick the low-end users, I am very sattisfied with this service since I ordered it on 2022 Black Friday.

you lucky b... They auto cancelled mine after 12 months.

Hmm, it seems to be not unique. A friend of mine set the autopayment and used the service. After few months auto payment disabled automaticaly and server stopped. However my friend didn't contact with OVH support about get back the server.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Ruriko said:
    Are there any other cheap dedis that can match this offer? since I haven't seen kimsufi do a flashsale for a while now

yes; https://pulsedmedia.com/minidedi-dedicated-servers-finland.php