Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about how MUCH do you trust MXroute with your own personal stuff? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Curious about how MUCH do you trust MXroute with your own personal stuff?

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 27

I trust MXRoute more than I trust Google, or Microsoft, or Meta, or any other corporation.

I do not trust MXRoute completely due to implementation of artificial intelligence. I hate that AI tool when it comes to services and privacy. I know it might make life easier for @jarland (still remember his comments with AI helping him) but hate MXRoute for going the AI route and implementing it in services.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 27

@default said: due to implementation of artificial intelligence

There are zero connections/implementations of AI with the MXroute products and services. A standalone chatbot, a little help with some easily audited code (publicly available), and some blog posts. At no point does an AI process any data that I do not personally feed it with my keyboard in my browser window, or that a user does not knowingly (informed consent) feed the AI chatbot of their own free will.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I do 1000%

Thanked by 1jar

@kvz12 said: I am however worried about the event of MXroute or the servers that MXroute is running on are compromised

You and me both. But I consider that fear to be a good thing. You may not see how paranoid I am, and it may not manifest itself in the same way that other people's paranoia does (ex. I'm not changing the SSH port), but I am indeed paranoid and scared of a server compromise. It's exactly that paranoia which has me hunting for failures routinely.

• Access to your primary email account is usually all that's needed to access any of your accounts on the Internet (that don't have 2FA).

• @jar said:
    My incentive to be trustworthy only increases every year. We're up to 3 people on support and a ridiculous number of customers. I'm definitely not intentionally throwing that away.

Technically speaking, how would anyone even ever know if their provider was snooping. Presumably they can do so without trace (accessible to any outsider), if they so desired.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited February 27

@vitobotta said:
    Having said that, of course it's a relatively small provider if you compare it with the likes of Google etc, so there is always a risk about privacy and security in general. But would you trust e.g. Google more than MXroute? I most certainly wouldn't.

Why would you trust Google less (in regards to the risk of an insider snooping on your messages or doing password resets on external accounts)?

• @kvz12 said:
    I personally pay for the service, but I'm still not sure about moving my main email over. Currently it's used for things such as alerts from Proxmox. I'm not too worried about jar reading my emails, unless he really wants to see years of promotional email I haven't deleted. I am however worried about the event of MXroute or the servers that MXroute is running on are compromised. Am I paranoid? Probably.

Who do you use for your main email?

@JosephF said:

@jar said:
    My incentive to be trustworthy only increases every year. We're up to 3 people on support and a ridiculous number of customers. I'm definitely not intentionally throwing that away.

Technically speaking, how would anyone even ever know if their provider was snooping. Presumably they can do so without trace (accessible to any outsider), if they so desired.

You can't. Even the providers that claim zero knowledge and an inability to snoop, you don't really know what they can do. All you ever have is trust when using any service provider. I'm merely sharing my motivation to protect my brand, which I believe requires being a good steward of the data I've been entrusted with. How you read into that isn't something I have much control over.

A larger company often has employees that don't feel a sense of ownership of the brand, or that might feel a stronger sense of duty to their ideologies. I can't say I won't get to that size too, but my heart is on my sleeve, you know who I am and what motivates me. That's the best I can give.

Thanked by 1JosephF
  • crazy, right? if the domain expired and someone take it, then he, will have access to your bank!

it's not about MXroute, it's about you!

• @JosephF said:

@kvz12 said:
    I personally pay for the service, but I'm still not sure about moving my main email over. Currently it's used for things such as alerts from Proxmox. I'm not too worried about jar reading my emails, unless he really wants to see years of promotional email I haven't deleted. I am however worried about the event of MXroute or the servers that MXroute is running on are compromised. Am I paranoid? Probably.

Who do you use for your main email?

Outlook at the moment but it's quite expensive

• I use it on all my personal websites, got one lifetime subscription and one 25GB BF Offer 3$/3y.

I use it for my personal email (I got no problems with incoming/outgoing) and notifications from WordPress websites.

• @tra10000 said:

@vitobotta said:
    but just because I like self hosting things for fun and I now self host email too.

This is pure masochism

I use Mailu and it's ridiculously easy.

• No offense to @jar, but no, I do not trust him. I do not know if he reads my email or not. I don't think he does, but I can not know for sure.
    But this has nothing to do with @jar, this is simply how email works. Unless you pgp everything you send and receive (which you do not) you can not know for sure that nobody is reading your email. If you are not ok with this, do not use email.

I've been running mailservers for 30 years and email really has not evolved much at all during that time. Back then, everything was completely open and everything was built on trust. Today, we try to implement some kind of half-ass security on top of clear text protocols that trust everyone by default. It does not work, email by its fundamental design is not secure.
    My imap inbox still has every email I've received or sent since 1996. It has moved around over the years and has probably been on 10-15 different hosts by now, and at no point in time have I ever thought that they were not able to read every single email in it if they wanted to.

Thanked by 2default maverick
  • time is a precious commodity, I don't see the any value in doing so. emails ain't gold mine

• eriseris Member

I would have no issues with it.

Currently using Google Workspaces and see no reason to change it except the cost savings

• emghemgh Member

@crunchbits of course you’re an android user

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@emgh said:

but I'm not

• emghemgh Member

@crunchbits said:

@emgh said:

but I'm not

🫃

• listerine90listerine90 Member
    edited February 27

Honestly, I run most of my billing accounts mostly on Gmail since I want availability.

I trust MXRoute however since it requires its own domain, I feel like I wouldn't trust myself keeping the domain up long enough or suddenly forgetting to renew it.

I keep some of the most personal emails on proton, billing and miscellaneous accounts on gmail, and business related on my domain email which is hosted by MXRoute.

Additionally SimpleLogin alias email for random throwaway accounts on billing pages for random providers on LET that I don't trust with my email

• emghemgh Member

Wouldn’t it be cool with a Firefox/Chrome addon that could create and categorize email adresses on a per service basis using the DA API? Then, MXRoute and the likes could be used

• I trust personally trust Jar and that he will be responsible with peoples mail and is here to deliver a solid service. Think he has a well proven track record here supporting individuals and resellers, which as some note no doubt adds up to thousands of mailboxes.

At the same time, for my main personal mail I do put my trust in a larger provider. For VPS, my use is very much hobbyist and backups that I automate across providers means I can get back up and running without too much effort. My email not being available for any reason would really disrupt me, even if it’s a personal account. For that reason I keep my main mailboxes with lager providers where rightfully or wrongly I feel less need to worry about availability.

I posted elsewhere but as Google winds down Sync (push email via ActiveSync protocol) I’ll probably move over to FastMail as they have a very nice masked email integration with 1Password, and I’ve been slowly ramping up use of that service as a result.

I do use MXRoute as a send only service however for my personal sites etc, which again are hobbyist ventures which are as much about self education than anything else. Works well there. My lack of use for personal mail isn’t a trust issue with Jar, who I believe acts with integrity, but rather just comfort that a larger provider comes with a certain scale backing them. That and I also do make use of some vendor specific features such as the before mentioned 1Password/Masked Email workflows that aren’t going to be broadly available.

Thanked by 1sh97
  • @Smigit said:
    I posted elsewhere but as Google winds down Sync (push email via ActiveSync protocol)

Good, that protocol is 30 years old and have not been updated for the past 20 years or so. Nobody that cares even the slightest about security would use it.

• 1nf1nf Member
    edited February 27

@emgh said:
    Wouldn’t it be cool with a Firefox/Chrome addon that could create and categorize email adresses on a per service basis using the DA API? Then, MXRoute and the likes could be used

I have catch-all switched on then I just use (service)@example.com. Bonus points in that it lets me know who leaked or sold my data :D

• Lots of interesting posts (and some hilarious ones too), thank you guys for your thoughts!

• emghemgh Member

@1nf said:

@emgh said:

I have catch-all switched on then I just use (service)@example.com. Bonus points in that it lets me know who leaked or sold my data :D

But I don’t want that😢

I want them to be fully identifiable and have zero connection to each other, and for any catch all’s to go to /dev/null

Like I got now with iCloud and their unique emails

• @emgh said:

@1nf said:

@emgh said:

But I don’t want that😢

I want them to be fully identifiable and have zero connection to each other, and for any catch all’s to go to /dev/null

I'm not fully understanding what you want here.
    I have a catchall so when I signup up somewhere I can use [email protected] or [email protected]. This makes them easily identifiable and if I get spam I know who sold my email. I also have an easy way to add that particular adress, ie [email protected], to a blacklist that will give anyone trying to send mail to it a "550 spam, go fuck yourself".

I don't understand what you mean by "have zero connection to each other".
    And what's even the point of having a catch all if it just goes to /dev/null?

Thanked by 2TimRoo tentor
  • @rcy026 said:

@Smigit said:
    I posted elsewhere but as Google winds down Sync (push email via ActiveSync protocol)

Good, that protocol is 30 years old and have not been updated for the past 20 years or so. Nobody that cares even the slightest about security would use it.

It’s not an ideal situation but as far as I’ve been able to see, on iOS you’re pretty much stuck with that if you want push email via the native mail app unfortunately with Google. I think it’s a shame that Apple/Google haven’t provided push mail via the OSs Google Accounts feature, which supports OAuth but with fetch capability only.

Not holding my breath, but it’s something I’d like iOS 18 to support, although I suspect Googles keen to have people using the Gmail app anyway.

• emghemgh Member

@rcy026 said:

@emgh said:

@1nf said:

@emgh said:

But I don’t want that😢

I'm not fully understanding what you want here.
    I have a catchall so when I signup up somewhere I can use [email protected] or [email protected]. This makes them easily identifiable and if I get spam I know who sold my email. I also have an easy way to add that particular adress, ie [email protected], to a blacklist that will give anyone trying to send mail to it a "550 spam, go fuck yourself".

I don't understand what you mean by "have zero connection to each other".
    And what's even the point of having a catch all if it just goes to /dev/null?

Is that a catch all?

Because I don’t want that

By dev null, I meant that I don’t want it to exist

I want to add mail adresses that will be allowed to be mailes, whitelist. Not blacklist specific ones

Like I do now with iCloud+ and their email service

• emghemgh Member

And I also like that I don’t have the service assosciated with the email adress

They’re like [email protected] kind of