Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We broke lowendtalk!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

We broke lowendtalk!

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Testing!

Comments

• $7

Thanked by 1anubhavhirani
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

Thanked by 3OhJohn host_c paco
  • The end is nigh.

• Hello. Invoice #7283849 double my redundancy please! Thanks!

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    Testing!

What'd you do?

Works on mobile, but not on desktop here.

• working for me!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@MannDude said:

@jbiloh said:
    Testing!

What'd you do?

Works on mobile, but not on desktop here.

Tried updating the footer with a bit of Java to auto update the copyright date.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@BruhGamer12 said:
    Hello. Invoice #7283849 double my redundancy please! Thanks!

Redundancy doubled.

Still working on it.

• Break the whole website for hours because need to update the date.
    Just remove the fucking date, problem solved

@JabJab said:
    Break the whole website for hours because need to update the date.

Now that's a good idea!! :)

@raindog308

• It was still working on Chrome Android when the desktop version was giving an error page.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited February 20

@jbiloh said: Tried updating the footer with a bit of Java to auto update the copyright date.

Javascript, not Java, just to be clear.

@MannDude said: What'd you do?

Executive Summary: saved default.master.tpl as default.master.tpl for rollback and Smarty freaked out.

When I went in to change the master.tpl Smarty template to update the footer copyright year, I made some changes and thought oh crap, I forgot to save a "before changes" copy. Old, old sysadmin habit...

Since I was pausing and resuming vi in the shell, I undid everything back, saved it as master.tpl.prev, and then rolled forward and saved it.

Vanilla's smart cache became greatly confused by the existence of master.tpl.prev and basically threw up all over its shoelaces.

Once I saw it was broke, I assumed it was something bad in the .tpl, so naturally I copied (not moved) the .prev file into place. No luck. I grabbed the master.tpl file from last night's backup and restored it. Still no luck. At that point, everything was back exactly as it was, even the same timestamp on the file, but the desktop view was still broken.

I did a find for all files in the public_html that had changed and saw the Smarty cache compile dir had some recently-changed files. I removed the master.tpl-related files thinking Smarty was just not updating them, but it recreated them as still broken.

@FAT32 logged in and diagnosed that the existence of the .prev file was the problem. Big thanks to him!

So let this be a lesson: if you're going to make changes in production, don't try and be responsible by saving a rollback file. Throw caution to the wind or else it could come back to bite you.

• Nice postmorten, I like the transparency.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

You may be old or experienced, or highly professional, but we can all still make mistakes. In Russia, just under a month ago, one simple mistake caused the entire .ru domain to go down.

Backups, my friends, backups are your friend. So remember to back up all your important data regularly!

Thanked by 1MrLime
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@JabJab said:

lmao.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

its brave making changing on a production system!

• @raindog308 said: if you're going to make changes in production

and remember to remove cache

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Jasonhyperhost said:
    its brave making changing on a production system!

We like to live dangerously.

Thanked by 3Not_Oles Calin Ympker
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@FrankCastle said:
    Nice postmorten, I like the transparency.

+1

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh said:
    We broke lowendtalk!

Bragging. Nope you didn't, it works fine.

@raindog308

Even experienced engineers occasionally make mistakes.

The difference between lousy ones and good engineers is that the good ones can admit it - as you did.

I grinned about @FAT32. While one desperately tries a hundred ways incl. weird ones to get the mess working again, that bastard just looks at it and tells you "it's that .prev file" - and is right, haha.

Kudos to both of you!

• I demand financial compensation for this outage per the SLA for my billions of dollars lost per minute!

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Moopah said:
    I demand financial compensation for this outage per the SLA for my billions of dollars lost per minute!

8760 hours in a year, outage for ~2 of them? 0.000228311 * $200 = $0.0456621. We'll round it up to a nickel to show some good customer loyalty.

Let me know if you want either a Monero or Zcash wallet for my SLA compensation @FAT32

Thanked by 2balramm sh97
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited February 20

@JabJab said: Just remove the fucking date, problem solved

Change control approved.

• @JabJab said:

It’s not displayed on mobile already, so yeah, do this

• @raindog308 said:

@jbiloh said: Tried updating the footer with a bit of Java to auto update the copyright date.

Javascript, not Java, just to be clear.

@MannDude said: What'd you do?

Executive Summary: saved default.master.tpl as default.master.tpl for rollback and Smarty freaked out.

When I went in to change the master.tpl Smarty template to update the footer copyright year, I made some changes and thought oh crap, I forgot to save a "before changes" copy. Old, old sysadmin habit...

Since I was pausing and resuming vi in the shell, I undid everything back, saved it as master.tpl.prev, and then rolled forward and saved it.

Vanilla's smart cache became greatly confused by the existence of master.tpl.prev and basically threw up all over its shoelaces.

Once I saw it was broke, I assumed it was something bad in the .tpl, so naturally I copied (not moved) the .prev file into place. No luck. I grabbed the master.tpl file from last night's backup and restored it. Still no luck. At that point, everything was back exactly as it was, even the same timestamp on the file, but the desktop view was still broken.

I did a find for all files in the public_html that had changed and saw the Smarty cache compile dir had some recently-changed files. I removed the master.tpl-related files thinking Smarty was just not updating them, but it recreated them as still broken.

@FAT32 logged in and diagnosed that the existence of the .prev file was the problem. Big thanks to him!

So let this be a lesson: if you're going to make changes in production, don't try and be responsible by saving a rollback file. Throw caution to the wind or else it could come back to bite you.

For future, Why not setup a staging site first and do your changes on it first and then release once all done or rollback?

• It's a new feature, not a bug ;)

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 20

A bit pointless, If a copyright includes a date, such as 2008, it will expire after 95 to 120 years.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 20

@raindog308 said: So let this be a lesson: if you're going to make changes in production

I think the bigger lesson is to not make changes in production. If you're going to YOLO edit things in prod, at least use version control (Git, Mercurial, whatever) so you can roll back in case of any issues.

• So, on mobile I don't even see the copyright footer part. All the trouble you guys went through was only for desktop :P