Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More enclosed - 10G Unmetered in London with Free BGP* & Cosmic DDoS Prot from £2/month or £18/year - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

More enclosed - 10G Unmetered in London with Free BGP* & Cosmic DDoS Prot from £2/month or £18/year

2»

Comments

• hostarishostaris Member, Patron Provider

@yukon_red said:
    Is someone from Hostaris alive here? I'm finding the service to be quite a mess. You can look up my account by the IP currently assigned to the only VPS: 23.166.120.20

First there was the out-of-nowhere unrecoverable corruption of my UK VPS a month or two ago. Fortunately a rebuild allowed me to solve that fairly quickly.

Now my UK VPS service with Hostaris has been down for days. Hostaris doesn't currently have a ticket system and attempting to contact support via Discord is hopeless since that useless site keeps blocking access from my completely normal, personal, residential IP from my ISP. The Hostaris status page lists a UK outage on the 27th under Previous Incidents and the last status shown is "Resolved" which seems pretty inaccurate.

Today when I made my latest attempt to fix things by rebuilding the VPS (again) I was given a different IP and a VPS that is accessible, but frequently becomes unresponsive (sometimes to the point that SSH sessions time out) and then I learned that the new IP is in Arizona, USA not London, UK where it should be.

Are there any plans to fix... well, anything? The lack of a ticket system? The self-destructing VPS problem? The UK problems? The major stalling problems in Arizona? Anything?

Hi there,

The incident you're referencing was hostile renumbering caused by IPXO. They had terminated your old IP address (on 185.179.216.0/24) 3 hours past its due date, and re-sold it to another customer. We've recently switched bank accounts, and we had forgotten to update the card info on the IPXO portal for automatic payment.

Luckily there were not many customers using this prefix, only around 40 (in comparison to a another full prefix).

We contacted them for an explanation in which they responded that they would automatically terminate the prefix if the card payment failed (note that the card payment is initiated 2 days before the prefix's due date). They only apologised for this after we pushed multiple times. We will not be using IPXO again where possible. Taking into account we also received no email notifications regarding this whatsoever.

Due to this incident, we had 40 customers with no IP address. Half of these customers were moved over to our other prefix, and half were still without an IP address - so we had to find a last minute IP range (23.166.120.0/24), which was unfortunately pointing to Arizona on most databases. Our Geofeed went live last night, so that should be updating soon. If you had rebooted your VM from the panel, the new IP would've been automatically set.

In regards to your Discord issue, we have around 600 people in that Discord who have managed to join without an issue. We are using CF pages for hostaris.com, so there should not be issues unless your ISP is causing a problem. Our home page also references an email address you can use for support if you have trouble using Discord, and of course you can still message us through here.

In addition, the 'corruption' you are referring to was a small OS mishap which caused numerous QEMU processes to be stuck. If you had contacted us at that time we would've been able to boot your server within seconds, and had backups on hand in the event of any real data corruption.

I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused and as previously stated we will definitely not be using IPXO in the future for such critical infrastructure.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • I appreciate the fast and detailed response. However...

"If you had rebooted your VM from the panel, the new IP would've been automatically set."
    You say this as if that's expected. No e-mails were sent out regarding the problem, and about the last thing most people would expect when rebooting is an IP change without prior notice.

"We have around 600 people in that Discord who have managed to join without an issue. There should not be issues unless your ISP is causing a problem."
    I am not one of those 600 people. This is me telling you that there's a problem, and no, it is not my ISP. The problem is that you're using an unprofessional, general-purpose communication platform (Discord) in place of a legitimate support system. And yes, I reported the problem to Discord, and no, they don't have the faintest idea what's wrong and won't be fixing the problem (unless perhaps by accident as a side effect of breaking something else in the future).

I will attempt to use the e-mail support option in the future if it remains available.

For now, however, I think it's worth being public about the fact that the VPS is still wildly unstable. It keeps stalling intermittently and eventually losing the SSH connection. There's no load on it. I'm having absolutely zero problems managing instances on other platforms or with any other network activity.

Thanked by 1maverick

@yukon_red said:
    I appreciate the fast and detailed response. However...

"If you had rebooted your VM from the panel, the new IP would've been automatically set."
    You say this as if that's expected. No e-mails were sent out regarding the problem, and about the last thing most people would expect when rebooting is an IP change without prior notice.

"We have around 600 people in that Discord who have managed to join without an issue. There should not be issues unless your ISP is causing a problem."
    I am not one of those 600 people. This is me telling you that there's a problem, and no, it is not my ISP. The problem is that you're using an unprofessional, general-purpose communication platform (Discord) in place of a legitimate support system. And yes, I reported the problem to Discord, and no, they don't have the faintest idea what's wrong and won't be fixing the problem (unless perhaps by accident as a side effect of breaking something else in the future).

I will attempt to use the e-mail support option in the future if it remains available.

For now, however, I think it's worth being public about the fact that the VPS is still wildly unstable. It keeps stalling intermittently and eventually losing the SSH connection. There's no load on it. I'm having absolutely zero problems managing instances on other platforms or with any other network activity.

I do understand the problems with Discord. At the minute it is only a temporary solution while we wait for our new billing system to be complete. This is also the reason we have pop-ups dotted around our sites with e-mail support options.

I'm looking into the stability issue now, although we have had no other reports of instability similar to yours.

In regards to the e-mail notifications, I do apologise for the miscommunication here. We were already strained from the incident at hand, so communication was not our strong point and we will improve on this in the future. I personally only got my head down at around 5AM after numerous issues with propagation, ACLs, and whatnot. While we aren't exactly a "one man team" per se, not many people on the team have the access, or the expertise, needed to be able to quickly and effectively manage that situation - so it was only me working on it.

• IPXOIPXO Member, LIR

@hostaris said:

The incident you're referencing was hostile renumbering caused by IPXO.

Hi!

We just wanted to give you a friendly reminder that IPXO sends out notifications about upcoming charges one week before your payment due date. We initiate the first payment attempt 2 days before the due date. If for some reason the payment doesn't go through, we'll send you a letter to inform you of the issue. We'll then try to process the payment again one day before the due date and on the due date itself, striving to secure payment without disrupting the your services.

In case these attempts don't succeed and we haven't received your payment, unfortunately, we have no choice but to terminate the affected subnet leases. It's important for you to keep your payment information current to avoid any issues. We always aim to keep you well-informed about upcoming payments, offering a grace period of two full days after the first unsuccessful attempt to update your payment details before the due date.

While we understand that in this case it was not possible to get back the same IPs as they were already leased to another client, we stress that IPXO takes all necessary measures to inform our clients well in advance of their upcoming payments. Please make sure all your information is up to date to avoid any issues in the future.

• mrnicocomrnicoco Member

Hi my VPS ID : 1217, can I have a surprise ?

• hozanhozan Member

ID:1228
    Can I get a surprise Please?

• ataballyatabally Member

Hey, can I have a refund?

ticket-0464

• Hello :)

On your yearly offer. Is it only available on a yearly basis ir could it be paid e.g. quarterly (as obviously month-to-month is not supported on those)?

@alfatarsos said:
    Hello :)

On your yearly offer. Is it only available on a yearly basis ir could it be paid e.g. quarterly (as obviously month-to-month is not supported on those)?

We usually offer monthly plans in addition to annual. Just check our site :)

• The experience is very bad, problems often occur, and it takes at least three days for work orders to be restored, or even longer, so please purchase with caution.

@bananaspeed said:
    The experience is very bad, problems often occur, and it takes at least three days for work orders to be restored, or even longer, so please purchase with caution.

What problems are you experiencing?

• FrobsyFrobsy Member

ID: 1237 Give me a surprise B)
    I purchased it a few hours ago and the first thing I did was obviously YABS!

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-03-05                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sat Mar  9 20:49:12 GMT 2024

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 3 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7401P 24-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 1999.999 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 1.9 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 48.4 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-76-generic
    VM Type    : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : Hostaris Limited
    ASN        : AS199765 Hostaris Limited
    Host       : Hostaris Limited
    Location   : Frankfurt am Main, Hesse (HE)
    Country    : Germany

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/vda1):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 166.85 MB/s  (41.7k) | 1.39 GB/s    (21.7k)
    Write      | 167.29 MB/s  (41.8k) | 1.39 GB/s    (21.8k)
    Total      | 334.15 MB/s  (83.5k) | 2.79 GB/s    (43.6k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 1.33 GB/s     (2.5k) | 1.31 GB/s     (1.2k)
    Write      | 1.40 GB/s     (2.7k) | 1.39 GB/s     (1.3k)
    Total      | 2.73 GB/s     (5.3k) | 2.71 GB/s     (2.6k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 897 Mbits/sec   | 694 Mbits/sec   | 16.8 ms
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | busy            | 839 Mbits/sec   | 12.3 ms
    HOSTKEY         | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | 888 Mbits/sec   | 677 Mbits/sec   | 34.2 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 813 Mbits/sec   | 496 Mbits/sec   | 99.1 ms
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 564 Mbits/sec   | 485 Mbits/sec   | 161 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 727 Mbits/sec   | 385 Mbits/sec   | 154 ms
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 806 Mbits/sec   | 596 Mbits/sec   | 87.4 ms
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 768 Mbits/sec   | 210 Mbits/sec   | 173 ms

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 878 Mbits/sec   | 766 Mbits/sec   | 16.7 ms
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | busy            | 806 Mbits/sec   | 12.4 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 807 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 98.6 ms
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 741 Mbits/sec   | 421 Mbits/sec   | 161 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 750 Mbits/sec   | 327 Mbits/sec   | 154 ms
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 778 Mbits/sec   | 611 Mbits/sec   | 86.8 ms
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 714 Mbits/sec   | 181 Mbits/sec   | 173 ms

Running GB6 benchmark test... *cue elevator music*
    Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 732
    Multi Core      | 1299
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5247704

YABS completed in 19 min 47 sec

Apologies for the wait. Will sort all these tonight :D

• FrobsyFrobsy Member