Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Affordable TLD or shared free subdomain for personal email service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Affordable TLD or shared free subdomain for personal email service

foxtwofoxtwo Member

I am looking for an affordable TLD or shared free subdomain to use for a personal email service. I plan to send approximately 20 emails per week. Do you have any recommendations for reputable domains?

Comments

• hostthebesthostthebest Member, Patron Provider

Have you thought about using Hotmail with your own domain? I think Apple has this ability iCloud+ if I am not mistaken.

• foxtwofoxtwo Member
    edited February 16

@hostthebest said:
    Have you thought about using Hotmail with your own domain? I think Apple has this ability iCloud+ if I am not mistaken.

That sounds like a great way, but this time I'd like to try a self-hosting mail server.

• You can get a six to nine digit domain name in the .xyz TLD for about 67 cents per year from Spaceship.

• try .xyz, .top, .ooo, .cyou these are quite affordable with promo and renewal prices between $1 to $5 per year depending upon various registrars.

• edited February 16

@OP as far as free 3rd level domain goes i guess afraid.org is your best bet.

@JasonM said:
    try .xyz, .top, .ooo, .cyou these are quite affordable with promo and renewal prices between $1 to $5 per year depending upon various registrars.

Interesting. I guess i'll have too look around a bit then Namecheap heavily burned me on .cyou renewal last year.

• .pp.ua is free (but whois protection is not offered).
    .stream can register and renew with $3 at Domain.com.

• .eu.org is free

• Affordable TLD

Define "affordable". Most TLDs can be had for < $12/year, unless we're talking about some obscure African countries or the newTLDs from Donuts/Identity DIgital.

Use something like tld-list or dnpric.es to compare registration costs across various registrars, and beware of weirdos like GoDaddy and first-year promos.

shared free subdomain for personal email service

Never do that.

Thanked by 2Plioser rm_
  • @nikio said:

Affordable TLD

Define "affordable." Most TLDs can be had for < $12/year, unless we're talking about some obscure African countries or the newTLDs from Donuts/Identity DIgital.

I just found out that all the domains I own cost more than $12/y now 😂

• @foxtwo said:

@nikio said:

Affordable TLD

Define "affordable." Most TLDs can be had for < $12/year, unless we're talking about some obscure African countries or the newTLDs from Donuts/Identity DIgital.

I just found out that all the domains I own cost more than $12/y now 😂

huh?

• If you get these cheap tlds, email deliverability would be a question.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • @dosai said:
    If you get these cheap tlds, email deliverability would be a question.

Exactly! I saw many deliverability problem cases on xyz domains.

• So tell me what deliverability problems you are encountering with a .com registered at Cloudflare, Namecheap, Porkbun, Spaceship, Dynadot, Namesilo, etc?

• @nikio said:
    So tell me what deliverability problems you are encountering with a .com registered at Cloudflare, Namecheap, Porkbun, Spaceship, Dynadot, Namesilo, etc?

.COM isn't considered as cheap spam domain in most cases

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

@JasonM said:
    try .xyz, .top, .ooo, .cyou these are quite affordable with promo and renewal prices between $1 to $5 per year depending upon various registrars.

I do not recommend this, your mail will almost certainly end up in spam regardless of MX server IP reputation.

SpamAssassin for example hits .xyz domains with three flags right from the rip;

PDS_OTHER_BAD_TLD, FROM_SUSPICIOUS_NTLD_FP, and FROM_SUSPICIOUS_NTLD.

Thanked by 3mrTom homelabber cname
  • So I am confused. OP asked for "Affordable TLD ... for email".

OP wants something cheaper than .com, but doesn't want to use spamTLDs?

Your other options are .de and .nl

• @nikio said:
    Your other options are .de

.de seams fine, I should use mailbox for "an authorised representative located in Germany" 😀

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited February 16

Looks like you can search how bad a TLD is here.
    https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/
    I don't know how to interpret the absolute values, but I suppose you could compare various TLDs to well known ones like .com to see their relative reputation.

I can recommend .ch (Switzerland). Short, cheap, barely abused, and WHOIS lookup requires justification.

• .uk is usually low cost.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 16

It usually really sucks to change your E-Mail, so don't go with a free subdomain that can be taken away, and carefully consider if some cheap option like the suggested $3 ".stream" may price hike in the future to some $30, or in fact close down entirely.

@foxtwo said: I just found out that all the domains I own cost more than $12/y now 😂

Also I don't get it if you already have some domains, maybe just use one of those, or a subdomain on them? Or do you plan to let go of them all?

• *.eu.org is fine but take ages to register. My request was over 1 week ago, people said that it might take 8 weeks.

(\d{6,9}).xyz is just less than $1/yr at Namecheap + free domain privacy.

Havent tried others yet

• @SodaWithoutSparkles said:
    *.eu.org is fine but take ages to register. My request was over 1 week ago, people said that it might take 8 weeks.

(\d{6,9}).xyz is just less than $1/yr at Namecheap + free domain privacy.

Havent tried others yet

It actually can be hella fast, just depends if the admin likes the request and has time basically :^). Once you've got it though, it's amazing.

Thanked by 10xC7
  • Thank you for recommending de, ch, and uk tld. I'll choose one from them.

• @foxtwo said:
    Thank you for recommending de, ch, and uk tld. I'll choose one from them.

.us is also reasonably cheap (with the usual low cost registrars like Spaceship, NameCheap, CloudFlare, Porkbun, etc.)

• @JosephF said:

@foxtwo said:
    Thank you for recommending de, ch, and uk tld. I'll choose one from them.

.us is also reasonably cheap (with the usual low cost registrars like Spaceship, NameCheap, CloudFlare, Porkbun, etc.)

Pretty sure you need an US ID for that, or at least some sort of verification. But I don't know for certain.

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member
    edited February 16

*.top on spaceship just over $1 (first year, then about $4)

• @Carlin0 said:

Same problem with mail delivery.

• @shruub said:

@Carlin0 said:

Which gTLDs don't have problems with mail delivery, other than com/net/org?

• @shruub said:

@Carlin0 said:

That also depends a lot on IP