Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone try a heyderdahl free VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone try a heyderdahl free VPS?

2»

Comments

• edited April 15

@k4zz said:
    Got this mail. Looks like free VPS offer is discontinued. You now need to pay 1€ per month.

Hi there,

Exciting news! We're updating our payment structure from completely free to an affordable paid model, while retaining all the same benefits.

Starting April 31, 2024, access to our service will be priced at just 1€ per month. To put it in perspective, that's only 1/5 of the cost of a Starbucks coffee! Your support will ensure heyderdahl stays operational and sustainable for all.

For those who are not interested in moving forward, please open a support ticket for us to close your account.

Looking forward to your continued support!

Warm regards,

Who could have seen this coming? Now it's a 1€/m IPv6 only(?) service. At least the comparison is kind of correct. It's something for people that will also buy a sugary coffee surrogate at 5€ per cup.

Admittedly this might sound a little negative but then the email is also trying to sell clients the idea that moving from getting something for free to paying for it is somehow exciting.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 15

Well, that date is quite strange

Starting April 31, 2024, access to our service will be priced at just 1€ per month.

@crunchbits plan that is just under $12 per year is a much better option.

• tusca95tusca95 Member

April 31? So it will never be.

Perhaps, i've signed today to their website and it says that the cost is 1€/month just now, so it's not starting on "April 31"

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@tusca95 said:

Perhaps, i've signed today to their website and it says that the cost is 1€/month just now, so it's not starting on "April 31"

It is quite possible that they intended to start with March (or May) 31st and later changed their “mind” and just replaced the month to April.

Still, someone should “proofread” before sending any company wide communication.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited April 15

@k4zz said:
    Starting April 31, 2024, access to our service will be priced at just 1€ per month.

For $13 per year we can get same specs with IPv4 (and much better offers in deals).

"Free" lasted too short...

Thanked by 1ZoobDude
  • tusca95tusca95 Member

@farsighter said:

@k4zz said:

For $13 per year we can get same specs with IPv4 (and much better offers in deals).

"Free" lasted too short...

Yeah this thing is not an offer anymore

• tusca95tusca95 Member

@dev_vps said:

@tusca95 said:

It is quite possible that they intended to start with March (or May) 31st and later changed their “mind” and just replaced the month to April.

Still, someone should “proofread” before sending any company wide communication.

Probably, I hope, because it really seemed to be an Aprile joke :hushed:

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@k4zz said: Processor : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor

That's it, I am powering back my DL380 G5, just have to remember where did I put it.......

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • Heyderdahl has come to an end. I'd like to inform everyone that our service will be discontinued on April 31, 2023, and all active users have been notified. I kindly ask that you refrain from expressing negativity about the service. It's true that Heyderdahl had its flaws from the beginning, and many of the criticisms shared here are valid. We acknowledge that better planning was necessary. Feel free to share comments like "I knew it all along" or "What a scam" – I'm beyond letting it affect me now.

Over the past few weeks, several events unfolded, including challenges with pricing adjustments due to increased rates from our hosting provider. Offering free machines became unsustainable. We also faced issues with slow internet, uptime disruptions, and a recent crash caused by a DDOS attack, despite our efforts with Firewall and DDOS protection.

Regrettably, Heyderdahl will not be making a comeback. We've already compensated and refunded those who paid for access to their machines where reasonable. Our intention was to create something beneficial for everyone, but unfortunately, it ended up being a mess. Cheers.

Thanked by 1kullgames
  • gumnosgumnos Member

Alas, they appear to have gone kaput. From the email I received today

Attention all users of Heyderdahl,

We regret to inform you that our service will be terminating immediately due to a critical v-server crash. Unfortunately, this has resulted in the loss of all data, and recovery is not possible beyond point 4.2 as outlined in
    our SLA agreement.

We understand the severity of this situation and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or disruption this may cause. We have exhausted all possible avenues to rectify the issue, but regrettably, the data loss is
    irrecoverable.
    Please ensure you have made appropriate backups of any important information or files stored on our platform.

Once again, we apologize for the sudden termination of our service and any inconvenience this may cause.
    All data and FREE v-Server accounts will be terminated with this e-mail. All users that paid the setup fee and were unable to use the service less than a month were refunded in advance.

Sincerely,
    The Heyderdahl Team

Fortunately, I didn't have anything of note stored there.

• gabozgaboz Member
    edited April 23

Heyderdahl was a scam, at first offer a free lowend vps but never work, then ask for a pay of a $1 montly and finally is closed.

• MumblyMumbly Member

@gaboz said:
    Heyderdahl was a scam, at first offer a free lowend vps but never work, then ask for a pay of a $1 montly and finally is closed.

Why scam? How many billions they stole from you?

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • gabozgaboz Member

@Mumbly said:

@gaboz said:

From me? 0.0000 millions.

• MumblyMumbly Member

@gaboz said:

@Mumbly said:

@gaboz said:

But you know what word 'scam' means, right?

• Got one from the very beginning (totally free). Was about to setup a sandbox server so I can put my scripts to a test before going to productions.
    The idea was good, but it was too good to be true for a small starting provider without the help of the community.

• gabozgaboz Member

@Mumbly said:

@gaboz said:

@Mumbly said:

@gaboz said:

Scam is when you ask for money for a service that never work.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited April 23

So here they posted about April 31 termination and then sent email about immediate termination. Two messages that are quiet different in spirit from each other.

I don't believe that bs about vServer sudden crash. Very likely that someone on a whim simply decided to terminate the service (‏without even letting people recover their data).

Thanked by 2k4zz emgh
  • riderrider Member

Their domain page shows: This site is currently suspended
    Died!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Exanteros said:
    our service will be discontinued on April 31, 2023

@farsighter said:
    So here they posted about April 31 termination and then sent email about immediate termination.

The date is in the past.
    I don't see a problem?

ubuntu@ndndev:~$ node
    Welcome to Node.js v20.11.1.
    Type ".help" for more information.
    > new Date(2023, 1+4, 31) < Date.now()
    true

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said: The date is in the past.

I don't see a problem?

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited April 24

@farsighter said:
    I don't believe that bs about vServer sudden crash.

Wait, vserver as in http://linux-vserver.org ? Does that shit still work?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@gaboz said:

@Mumbly said:

@gaboz said:

@Mumbly said:

@gaboz said:

Scam is when you ask for money for a service that never work.

money and/or personal info details that can potentially used for commercial purposes

• @yoursunny said:

@Exanteros said:
    our service will be discontinued on April 31, 2023

@farsighter said:
    So here they posted about April 31 termination and then sent email about immediate termination.

The date is in the past.
    I don't see a problem?

No? whoosh (It doesn't exist)