Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone try a heyderdahl free VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone try a heyderdahl free VPS?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited February 16 in General

https://heyderdahl.com/

I signed up back on 26 January. Got it today. Promises a 512MB VM with 30GB storage.

Logged in to Proxmox and the Ubuntu 20.04 CD is mounted. I guess I have to install the OS. OK...

My first two install attempts failed. I got a few steps into the installer and then it stops responding. Attempt #3 was stuck at "downloading and installing security updates...curtin command in-target" for about 15 minutes but it finally completed. Maybe that's usual for Ubuntu? I don't know, I always use Debian but that ISO seems hardwired in PVE.

So after boot, I was kind of expecting a pubic IP address...

The welcome email said:

So I guess at the moment I can login and use it via console, but I don't think I can ssh to it from the outside, unless I'm missing something.

Thanked by 1cold

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

yabs?

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited February 15

Is that a Pakistani provider? Misspelled Hyderabadi?

Thanked by 2kuroit indiankesh
  • There is a deleted thread about them, maybe you can tell us what happened: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/192315/heyderdahl-is-giving-away-free-vms-for-everyone

• That curtin problem you had, is because the RAM for the installer is way too low. I know, because I had the same issue in the past.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@CyberneticTitan said: There is a deleted thread about them, maybe you can tell us what happened: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/192315/heyderdahl-is-giving-away-free-vms-for-everyone

@angstrom dumped it because they didn't get permission to run a giveaway. I guess @Exanteros is hyderdahl so perhaps he can update us on their network.

@DennisdeWit said: That curtin problem you had, is because the RAM for the installer is way too low. I know, because I had the same issue in the past.

That's what I was assuming. The docs say you only need 112MB to install Ubuntu 20.04, but don't say how long it will take :)

Thanked by 1dedicados

Actually, now that I look, this is a 1GB VPS with 16GB of disk, not. 512 with 30.

• There is only one answer: sh -c 'while true; do ./yabs.sh; done' &, close console and leave.

@yoursunny said: yabs?

@totally_not_banned said: There is only one answer: sh -c 'while true; do ./yabs.sh; done' &, close console and leave.

Considering how long the first yabs is taking to run, I'm not sure the loop is necessary.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned

And then naturally it finished moments after posting that snarky comment.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-01-01                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Fri 16 Feb 2024 12:06:09 AM UTC

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 44 minutes
    Processor  : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3391.448 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 965.0 MiB
    Swap       : 1.9 GiB
    Disk       : 15.6 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.4.0-171-generic
    VM Type    : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:
    ISP        : WholeSale Internet
    ASN        : AS32097 WholeSale Internet, Inc.
    Host       : atv vision sdn bhd
    Location   : Kansas City, Missouri (MO)
    Country    : United States

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 447.00 KB/s    (111) | 5.94 MB/s       (92)
    Write      | 469.00 KB/s    (117) | 6.27 MB/s       (98)
    Total      | 916.00 KB/s    (228) | 12.22 MB/s     (190)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 27.91 MB/s      (54) | 37.58 MB/s      (36)
    Write      | 30.08 MB/s      (58) | 40.27 MB/s      (39)
    Total      | 57.99 MB/s     (112) | 77.85 MB/s      (75)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 40.4 Mbits/sec  | 39.0 Mbits/sec  | 98.3 ms        
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 40.4 Mbits/sec  | busy            | 107 ms         
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 40.7 Mbits/sec  | 39.1 Mbits/sec  | 122 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 38.9 Mbits/sec  | 26.8 Mbits/sec  | 199 ms         
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 41.7 Mbits/sec  | 39.6 Mbits/sec  | 30.0 ms        
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 41.8 Mbits/sec  | 38.5 Mbits/sec  | 10.9 ms        
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 41.5 Mbits/sec  | 39.3 Mbits/sec  | 41.2 ms        

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 446                           
    Multi Core      | 328                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/4930365

YABS completed in 39 min 4 sec

• @raindog308 said:
    Processor : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+

WTF? Is there any point to this?

• ExanterosExanteros Member
    edited February 16

Hey, I also got to say something about this. As mentioned above, we provided everyone with 1GB of RAM to get the installer going and start in the adventure with us.

As I am looking at this thread, we‘ll increase this to 2GB to get you satisfied.

We currently face IPv6 issues with our provider so we gave everyone a custom Heyderdahl sub-domain and a log-in to a reverse proxy in order to enable remote ssh from outside. We are trying to fix that asap.

The disk is indeed 30gb. I am sorry, but there only remains 17 of these 30 after the install.

For qemu and kvm virtualization, it is normal to show the processor inside the vm as processor with QEMU virtual cores.

And what did you think of the free virtual machine in the first place? That it will break records with one virtual core and 1 GB of RAM?

We are also are eager to help everyone. Please write an email to us at [email protected]

And guys, don’t forget something: it’s free, so please, if something isn’t perfect directly, it will get fixed shortly.

Hope I could help.

Thanked by 2raindog308 chakraxzz
  • edited February 16

@Exanteros said:
    there only remains 17 of these 30 after the install.

Is Ubuntu really that fat these days? This is madness!

For qemu and kvm virtualization, it is normal to show the processor inside the vm as processor with QEMU virtual cores.

Not really. Well, at least as long -cpu host is used, which i see no point in not using.

Inside a Qemu VM (sorry i'm not connected to any Linux VM right now and i'm lazy - just pretend it's cat /proc/cpuinfo ;)):

[user@netvm:~]$ sysctl machdep.cpu_brand                                                                                                            
    machdep.cpu_brand = Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz

Thanked by 1MattBGP
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Exanteros said: We are also are eager to help everyone. Please write an email to us at [email protected]

The irony in the email address :)

• @FatGrizzly said:

@Exanteros said: We are also are eager to help everyone. Please write an email to us at [email protected]

Haha good point. 😂

• emghemgh Member
    edited February 16

@Exanteros said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Haha good point. 😂

I thought you roasted him

Like me and my boss sometimes ask each other to please send updates to like [email protected] or [email protected] etc

Edit: or invoices to wontpay@

• @emgh said:

@Exanteros said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Haha good point. 😂

I thought you roasted him

Like me and my boss sometimes ask each other to please send updates to like [email protected] or [email protected] etc

Edit: or invoices to wontpay@

Nah, ain’t joking. Got this email forwarded to my private account. Should prob. change it.

• i only have hyperblast vps!

Thanked by 1ehab
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited February 17

@raindog308 said: unless I'm missing something.

Yes.. Screenshot says IPv6.. So you are missing an IPv6 address.. ;) Maybe it needs to be statically configured. Maybe DHCPv6.. Did you enable Auto-IPv6 in the Network Manager?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Is this new? or am I the only one who misses this technology?

• @kevinds said:

@raindog308 said: unless I'm missing something.

Yes.. Screenshot says IPv6.. So you are missing an IPv6 address.. ;) Maybe it needs to be statically configured. Maybe DHCPv6.. Did you enable Auto-IPv6 in the Network Manager?

We are working on a solution. 🚢

• k4zzk4zz Member

I got a free VPS yesterday. It's a LXC container with 1 CPU core, 512MB memory, 512MB swap, 30GB disk and a IPv6 address. Before running YABS I updated Ubuntu 20 to Ubuntu 22. This took some time but worked. After updating Ubuntu 1,1 GB of 30GB disk were in use.

Sun Mar  3 11:06:59 UTC 2024

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 3 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3680.771 MHz
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 512.0 MiB
    Swap       : 512.0 MiB
    Disk       : 29.4 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Kernel     : 6.5.11-7-pve
    VM Type    : LXC
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

IPv6 Network Information:
    ISP        : Nocix, LLC
    ASN        : AS33387 Nocix, LLC
    Host       : Nocix, LLC

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/loop16):
    Read       | 342.00 KB/s     (85) | 3.43 MB/s       (53)
    Write      | 362.00 KB/s     (90) | 3.66 MB/s       (57)
    Total      | 704.00 KB/s    (175) | 7.09 MB/s      (110)
               |                      |                     
    Read       | 16.15 MB/s      (31) | 20.00 MB/s      (19)
    Write      | 17.45 MB/s      (34) | 22.14 MB/s      (21)
    Total      | 33.61 MB/s      (65) | 42.14 MB/s      (40)

Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | busy            | busy            | --             
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | busy            | --             
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | busy            | busy            | --             
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | busy            | --             
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | busy            | --             
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | busy            | busy            | --             
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | busy            | --             

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | busy            | busy            | --             
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | busy            | --             
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | busy            | busy            | --             
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | busy            | --             
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | busy            | --             
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | busy            | busy            | --             
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | busy            | --             

Geekbench test failed and low memory was detected. Add at least 1GB of SWAP or use GB4 instead (higher compatibility with low memory systems).

YABS completed in 5 min 55 sec

wget -qO- yabs.sh | bash -s -- -4 -f -i
    Geekbench 4 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.

• @k4zz said:
    I got a free VPS yesterday. It's a LXC container with 1 CPU core, 512MB memory, 512MB swap, 30GB disk and a IPv6 address. Before running YABS I updated Ubuntu 20 to Ubuntu 22. This took some time but worked. After updating Ubuntu 1,1 GB of 30GB disk were in use.

Sun Mar  3 11:06:59 UTC 2024

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 3 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3680.771 MHz
    Kernel     : 6.5.11-7-pve

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/loop16):
    Read       | 342.00 KB/s     (85) | 3.43 MB/s       (53)
    Write      | 362.00 KB/s     (90) | 3.66 MB/s       (57)
    Total      | 704.00 KB/s    (175) | 7.09 MB/s      (110)
               |                      |                     
    Read       | 16.15 MB/s      (31) | 20.00 MB/s      (19)
    Write      | 17.45 MB/s      (34) | 22.14 MB/s      (21)
    Total      | 33.61 MB/s      (65) | 42.14 MB/s      (40)

Geekbench test failed and low memory was detected. Add at least 1GB of SWAP or use GB4 instead (higher compatibility with low memory systems).

YABS completed in 5 min 55 sec

wget -qO- yabs.sh | bash -s -- -4 -f -i
    Geekbench 4 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.

Looks like the service we offer on our website.

• borestadborestad Member

"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K" ?
    Not to be that guy ...but the 2600K is not really made for virtualization, since it's missing VT/d.

In the end, might not be a dealbreaker. That CPU was a powerhouse! :smile:

Source: (I owned a i7-2600k) and https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52214/intel-core-i7-2600k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

• tenperatenpera Member

Free vServer setup €5.00
    is there coupon to get rid of setup fee?

• k4zzk4zz Member

Updated YABS. My container was recreated on a new node. (Proxmox 7)

#                     v2024-03-05                    #

Mon Mar 25 19:01:21 UTC 2024

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 19 minutes
    Processor  : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2712.240 MHz
    AES-NI     : ❌ Disabled
    Kernel     : 5.15.107-2-pve

Location   : North Kansas City, Missouri (MO)

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/loop31):
    Read       | 20.87 MB/s    (5.2k) | 31.71 MB/s     (495)
    Write      | 20.88 MB/s    (5.2k) | 32.12 MB/s     (501)
    Total      | 41.75 MB/s   (10.4k) | 63.83 MB/s     (996)
               |                      |                     
    Read       | 52.82 MB/s     (103) | 79.89 MB/s      (78)
    Write      | 55.53 MB/s     (108) | 85.21 MB/s      (83)
    Total      | 108.36 MB/s    (211) | 165.11 MB/s    (161)

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 303 Mbits/sec   | 381 Mbits/sec   | 104 ms         
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 270 Mbits/sec   | 355 Mbits/sec   | 107 ms         
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | 207 Mbits/sec   | 381 Mbits/sec   | 119 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | 298 Mbits/sec   | 192 ms         
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 187 Mbits/sec   | 298 Mbits/sec   | 218 ms        iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 303 Mbits/sec   | 381 Mbits/sec   | 104 ms         
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 270 Mbits/sec   | 355 Mbits/sec   | 107 ms         
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | 207 Mbits/sec   | 381 Mbits/sec   | 119 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | 298 Mbits/sec   | 192 ms         
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 187 Mbits/sec   | 298 Mbits/sec   | 218 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | 395 Mbits/sec   | 41.0 ms        
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 391 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 31.6 ms        
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 167 Mbits/sec   | 361 Mbits/sec   | 140 ms         

Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 297 Mbits/sec   | 377 Mbits/sec   | 104 ms         
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 334 Mbits/sec   | 349 Mbits/sec   | 107 ms         
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 114 Mbits/sec   | 326 Mbits/sec   | 192 ms         
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 253 Mbits/sec   | 300 Mbits/sec   | 218 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 384 Mbits/sec   | 389 Mbits/sec   | 41.0 ms        
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 379 Mbits/sec   | 391 Mbits/sec   | 31.7 ms        
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 146 Mbits/sec   | 336 Mbits/sec   | 139 ms   

YABS completed in 16 min 37 sec

#                     v2024-03-05                    #

Mon Mar 25 19:23:09 UTC 2024

Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 41 minutes
    Processor  : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2712.240 MHz
    AES-NI     : ❌ Disabled
    Kernel     : 5.15.107-2-pve

Location   : North Kansas City, Missouri (MO)

Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 2158                          
    Multi Core      | 1770                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/17414594

YABS completed in 8 min 4 sec

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 25

@borestad said: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K" ?
    Not to be that guy ...but the 2600K is not really made for virtualization, since it's missing VT/d.

What do you need that for, in a VPS hosting? It does support VT-x (so of course KVM guests run fast), that's enough. VT-d is for GPU and PCI devices pass-through, not used in providing VPSes.

• vpshostvpshost Member

This item is currently out of stock (9999)

• k4zzk4zz Member

Got this mail. Looks like free VPS offer is discontinued. You now need to pay 1€ per month.

Hi there,

Exciting news! We're updating our payment structure from completely free to an affordable paid model, while retaining all the same benefits.

Starting April 31, 2024, access to our service will be priced at just 1€ per month. To put it in perspective, that's only 1/5 of the cost of a Starbucks coffee! Your support will ensure heyderdahl stays operational and sustainable for all.

For those who are not interested in moving forward, please open a support ticket for us to close your account.

Looking forward to your continued support!

Warm regards,