Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indian Government Blocks ProtonMail in Response to Bomb Threats - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Indian Government Blocks ProtonMail in Response to Bomb Threats

2»

Comments

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@SLMob said: action to block ProtonMail in the country

They had the application removed from the Android and the IOS application stores.. That isn't blocking blocking ProtonMail..

• @lowenduser1 said:

@shruub said:

@lowenduser1 said:

@shruub said:
    time to send bomb threats with gmail and outlook.

well that guarantees delivery of the mail and a not so friendly knock on the door

Depends on your juristriction. And, there would technically be anonymizing software with no trail to the end user.

It would get triggered by keywords and send automated API call. Maybe Indians still use fax as endpoint but it's pretty automated

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. I just mean one could use Mullvad (or Tor, but that would hurt exit node people) as well as a few other providers.

• edited February 15

@shruub said:

@rustelekom said:

@shruub said:

It is unfortunately one of the big problem of internet. Compromise between anonymity and privacy and people safety.

Yup.The balance sadly will (probably) never be found.

Not a valid reasoning in my opinion. Sending anonymous (snail-)mail has been possible since the dawn of time and noone has ever thought about it being a problem but if someone sends an anonymous email it's suddenly putting people in danger, when an email is actually even limited to nothing but text. I don't buy it.

• Honestly I would have to side with the Indian Govt on this one. I have seen this happen to people close to me as well. Bomb squads all around the place, children, parents panicking, everyone in general panicking and then suddenly a news report coming that the mail that was sent via gmail was some kid in some adjacent school.

I think Google, Microsoft are pretty compliant and handover IP in such cases quickly. Can't listen to "apply for swiss court order" when the clock is ticking.

• edited February 15

@varwww said:
    Honestly I would have to side with the Indian Govt on this one. I have seen this happen to people close to me as well. Bomb squads all around the place, children, parents panicking, everyone in general panicking and then suddenly a news report coming that the mail that was sent via gmail was some kid in some adjacent school.

I think Google, Microsoft are pretty compliant and handover IP in such cases quickly. Can't listen to "apply for swiss court order" when the clock is ticking.

So anyone's IP is fair game as long as the requester claims that there has been a bomb threat or should the services also log the contents of every mail leaving their servers, so they can verify it? Not to mention that knowing the sender won't do much about a possible bomb anyways.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@varwww said:
    Honestly I would have to side with the Indian Govt on this one. I have seen this happen to people close to me as well. Bomb squads all around the place, children, parents panicking, everyone in general panicking and then suddenly a news report coming that the mail that was sent via gmail was some kid in some adjacent school.

So anyone's IP is fair game as long as the requester claims that there has been a bomb threat or should the services also log the contents of every mail leaving their servers, so they can verify it? Not to mention that knowing the sender won't do much about a possible bomb anyways.

If it is terrorism related/threat to life, it is better to handover the info ASAP when the request is coming from a Govt with proof. Logging timestamps and IP's is useful for cases like this. "contents of every mail leaving their servers" - I am not sure what is the best solution for this without prying on everyone. "knowing the sender" always helps. I am kinda happy that the Govt takes these threats seriously.

@shruub said:

@rustelekom said:

@shruub said:

It is unfortunately one of the big problem of internet. Compromise between anonymity and privacy and people safety.

Not a valid reasoning in my opinion. Sending anonymous (snail-)mail has been possible since the dawn of time and noone has ever thought about it being a problem but if someone sends an anonymous email it's suddenly putting people in danger, when an email is actually even limited to nothing but text. I don't buy it.

Good thing that this comment was provided by @shruub for free. No need to buy it.

• @varwww said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@varwww said:

If it is terrorism related/threat to life, it is better to handover the info ASAP when the request is coming from a Govt with proof.

How would you prove that an email with alleged content has been sent? Also what qualifies as government in that scenario? Will lil Kim get your personal details if he says you threatened to bomb him?

Logging timestamps and IP's is useful for cases like this. "contents of every mail leaving their servers" - I am not sure what is the best solution for this without prying on everyone.

That's because there is no solution to prove outgoing messages besides logging everything.

"knowing the sender" always helps.

In the long run maybe. It won't stop any bomb from ticking though, so it might as well take a slower and safer route. Besides if such measures would prove effective they would just get worked around anyways. It's a cat and mouse game that's nearly impossible to win and basically privacy sacrificed for an illusion of safety.

• edited February 15

@shruub said:

@shruub said:

@rustelekom said:

@shruub said:

Good thing that this comment was provided by @shruub for free. No need to buy it.

It wasn't so much directed at you but more at the idea that blocking email providers would somehow improve safety.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@rustelekom said:
    Due to the fact that Ukrainians had send many reports about bombs

How does one know it was Ukrainians if the sender could not be traced? Even if it could it would still be extremely easy to stage false flag attacks this way.

Before that, they contacted the police using spoofed numbers. Additionally, some specific phrases in the letter may indicate that it was written by someone who lives in Ukraine.

• @rustelekom said:

@rustelekom said:

How does one know it was Ukrainians if the sender could not be traced? Even if it could it would still be extremely easy to stage false flag attacks this way.

Before that, they contacted the police using spoofed numbers. Additionally, some specific phrases in the letter may indicate that it was written by someone who lives in Ukraine.

I see. So it's suspected to have been Ukrainians.

@rustelekom said:

@rustelekom said:

I see. So it's suspected to have been Ukrainians.

Yes.

• @totally_not_banned said: How would you prove that an email with alleged content has been sent?

You could hash the subject/content of email and check if it matches with the alleged content.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@varwww said: I think Google, Microsoft are pretty compliant and handover IP in such cases quickly. Can't listen to "apply for swiss court order" when the clock is ticking.

But lives are not being threatened.. This is just fact-finding..

• edited February 15

@varwww said:

@totally_not_banned said: How would you prove that an email with alleged content has been sent?

You could hash the subject/content of email and check if it matches with the alleged content.

Fair enough. That would usually work. It's easily neutered by including your threat in some externally hosted picture though and getting random people to produces raw/accurate email data could prove hard to impossible (i'm not even sure if all of the big providers make that available).

@shruub said:

@shruub said:

@rustelekom said:

@shruub said:

It wasn't so much directed at you but more at the idea that blocking email providers would somehow improve safety.

Oh alright, I see. But yeah, same with cloudflare and other extensive IP blocking or similar.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @varwww said:
    If it is terrorism related/threat to life, it is better to handover the info ASAP when the request is coming from a Govt with proof. Logging timestamps and IP's is useful for cases like this. "contents of every mail leaving their servers" - I am not sure what is the best solution for this without prying on everyone. "knowing the sender" always helps. I am kinda happy that the Govt takes these threats seriously.

While I agree with the sentiment, I still applaud for proton for actually not handing over the sender information.

Its not about who's right, its about the integrity and security for the people using it. If proton would do such thing it would hurt more actual legitimate users who needed privacy the most.

It is inevitable that bad apples would use such service, and proton chose to protect everyone than leave holes for vulnerability.

For all we know the government could still lie about it and target actual legitimate vulnerable entities.

Thanked by 1SLMob

@listerine90 said:

@varwww said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I still applaud for proton for actually not handing over the sender information.

Its not about who's right, its about the integrity and security for the people using it. If proton would do such thing it would hurt more actual legitimate users who needed privacy the most.

It is inevitable that bad apples would use such service, and proton chose to protect everyone than leave holes for vulnerability.

For all we know the government could still lie about it and target actual legitimate vulnerable entities.

The problem with this is that if you are a victim of this kind of terrorism, your views will likely change. Your family and friends will want to see justice done, and they will demand that criminals and terrorists be punished. Due to the existence of these services, however, it may be difficult to find the perpetrators.

Thanked by 1listerine90
  • emghemgh Member

If only there was a way to fuck people doing these "pranks" while keeping journalists and regular people just wanting privacy private..

Thanked by 1shruub
  • There's no privacy in these cases. Once the person is identified, it becomes like xkcd #538 in real world.

• @rustelekom said:
    The problem with this is that if you are a victim of this kind of terrorism, your views will likely change. Your family and friends will want to see justice done, and they will demand that criminals and terrorists be punished. Due to the existence of these services, however, it may be difficult to find the perpetrators.

There is definitely a grey area when it comes for morality vs integrity.

Some people would agree that they would rather commit a crime to bring justice for themselves or someone else. Are they wrong? or is the justice system wrong?
    There is a reason why vigilante exists and definitely to do what is not possible on the current legality of our system.

Back to the point, US did the same thing with TOR. When you need anonymity, you need to make it harder to become noticeable by hiding in the crowd, so they made TOR publicly available. While this is great in terms of privacy this also makes the bad apples easier to blend in. The US did accept this trade off for the sake of their anonymity as it is inevitable.

In proton's case they chose integrity but then, they can always choose to leak their personal information.

This scope of topic is definitely very debatable, you know you have the power to change things but is not allowed to be because you are limited by what the majority wants you to be. But if you choose to be different than what people expect you to be, suddenly you are reprimanded by the majority.

But in this context Terrorism. Is proton really doing the right thing? Should a few bad people ruin the security that most people have with proton? Is this secretly a sabotage by a different company?

It is inevitable that whatever Proton choses within one of the choices, people will have divided opinions, but is what proton doing worth it? If the terrorism became real, will proton fall apart? Is there really true privacy when it comes to business?

• VoidVoid Member

Is it really that hard to obtain a valid Swiss court order? Even if Proton gave up the IP, someone knowledgeable enough to use Proton would have been using a VPN or simply signed up from TOR.

• @emgh said:
    If only there was a way to fuck people doing these "pranks" while keeping journalists and regular people just wanting privacy private..

I mean, there would be e.g. in the EEA with rare court orders over 2 countries.