Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indian Government Blocks ProtonMail in Response to Bomb Threats
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Indian Government Blocks ProtonMail in Response to Bomb Threats

SLMobSLMob Member

https://isp.today/indian-government-blocks-protonmail-in-response-to-bomb-threats/

The Indian government has taken action to block ProtonMail in the country following a series of bomb threats sent via the encrypted email platform. In a recent incident, 13 schools in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, received a bomb threat via a ProtonMail account. Fortunately, the threat turned out to be a hoax, but the authorities faced difficulties in tracing the IP address of the sender.

As a result, the Tamil Nadu police requested the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology to block access to ProtonMail within India. Today, the government authority issued an order to enforce this block, which will likely involve delisting the app from the App Store and Play Store. Currently, ProtonMail’s website and app are still accessible in the country, but it remains uncertain if this will continue.

Thanked by 1jlet88

Comments

• Ugh, school huh. Looks like a kid, who wants to have an early vacation

Thanked by 1shruub
  • Yea, that will stop them! /s

• @SLMob said:
    the authorities faced difficulties in tracing the IP address of the sender.

Difficulties as in Proton didn't hand them the IP and told them to get a court order instead, i guess. Seems like a very solid reason for a blanket ban. Damn those law abiding businesses.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • @totally_not_banned said:

@SLMob said:

Difficulties as in Proton didn't hand them the IP and told them to get a court order instead, i guess. Seems like a very solid reason for a blanket ban. Damn those law abiding businesses.

Just adds up to proton's credibility. legal or not they stood to their principles..

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @listerine90 said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@SLMob said:

Just adds up to proton's credibility. legal or not they stood to their principles..

Proton was firm. The Indian gov didn't like that :)

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • davidedavide Member
    edited February 15

@listerine90 said:

Wondering why Tor still runs unleashed in the West. Yet two of its employees were candidly and openly ex-CIA employees. Which leads to wondering how mismanaged the CIA itself is. Maybe @yoursunny could push things into proper place. At the network devices division they like push-ups.

• VoidVoid Member

@AXYZE said:
    Yea, that will stop them! /s

You have no idea. Government temporarily suspends internet services for a whole state to “prevent cheating” during competitive exams.

• edited February 15

@Void said:

@AXYZE said:

You have no idea. Government temporarily suspends internet services for a whole state to “prevent cheating” during competitive exams.

Real? Hard to comprehend xd.

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 15

@Void said:

In fucking Cuba they managed a clandestine network without the approval of His Sanctity Castro. But then they go to jail when caught with a clandestine wifi router. Can't have your own wifi router in Cuba. This ought to be easier in India.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

As an Indian here,

I dont think its gonna affect us that much, we are on VPN's(from c1v ofc) 24/7.

I will report on how its being actioned here, I'm a ProtonMail user too, actively using em.

• VoidVoid Member

@lowendtalkxdax said:

@Void said:

@AXYZE said:

Real? Hard to comprehend xd.

It has become the norm sadly. Just search “India internet ban exam”

They have even banned VLC player once because a particular version of it had a bug which hackers exploited in some multistage attacks.

• VoidVoid Member
    edited February 15

@FatGrizzly said:
    As an Indian here,

And some haters want to ban c1v.
    Preposterous.
    Btw is it too late to change the vote now?
    /s

• @davide said:

@listerine90 said:

Wondering why Tor still runs unleashed in the West. Yet two of its employees were candidly and openly ex-CIA employees. Which leads to wondering how mismanaged the CIA itself is. Maybe @yoursunny could push things into proper place. At the network devices division they like push-ups.

It's all open source. Confirm your conspiracy theories and let us all know.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Void said:

@FatGrizzly said:
    As an Indian here,

Preposterous.

that was a pun.

• diwakerddiwakerd Member
    edited February 15

Its working here in north India

https://ibb.co/pjZ6WsC

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 15

@sillycat said:

Hey @sillycat, hello again :)

You can buy yourself a brain for as little as $68.99 on eBay. Don't wear my good mood any further, get yourself a brain for Easter!

• @FatGrizzly said:
    As an Indian here,

I will report on how its being actioned here, I'm a ProtonMail user too, actively using em.

Its fucking funny how c1v gets involved randomly in any threads whatsoever. Either he posts an offer or someone drags their name in the mud. They really made a reputation.

Thanked by 2PineappleM deepsgo
  • VoidVoid Member

@FatGrizzly said:

@Void said:

@FatGrizzly said:
    As an Indian here,

Preposterous.

that was a pun.

I was being /s

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Russia did this about four years ago. Due to the fact that Ukrainians had send many reports about bombs in schools, shops, and airports. I was affected by a similar incident. I was at the Metropolis shopping center when one of these false alerts forced me to evacuate.

• time to send bomb threats with gmail and outlook.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

@shruub said:
    time to send bomb threats with gmail and outlook.

It is unfortunately one of the big problem of internet. Compromise between anonymity and privacy and people safety.

• edited February 15

@davide said:

@listerine90 said:

As far as i know TOR was originally funded by the DOD, CIA or whatever 3 letter agency as a tool to aid dissenters across the globe (read: facilitate regime/system change) and the concept behind it has never been 100% bulletproof, so it's anyone's guess how save TOR really is in the end.

@sillycat said:

@davide said:

@listerine90 said:

A healthy dose of distrust in TOR's abilities is no way a conspiracy theory but simply a realistic view of it's design, which doesn't need any backdoors. Sure it's good enough to pirate some movies and it's likely also good enough to piss off some influential corporation but is it good enough to go against a strong and determined state actor? I'd have my doubts.

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • @rustelekom said:
    Due to the fact that Ukrainians had send many reports about bombs

How does one know it was Ukrainians if the sender could not be traced? Even if it could it would still be extremely easy to stage false flag attacks this way.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@totally_not_banned said:

@rustelekom said:
    Due to the fact that Ukrainians had send many reports about bombs

How does one know it was Ukrainians if the sender could not be traced? Even if it could it would still be extremely easy to stage false flag attacks this way.

It is thread derail attempt, please cease and desist any replies to trolls to prevent emergent thread close.

• Interesting timeline,

and now this...

• @shruub said:

well that guarantees delivery of the mail and a not so friendly knock on the door

• @varwww said:
    Interesting timeline,

and now this...

surprise mothertucker

• @lowenduser1 said:

@shruub said:

well that guarantees delivery of the mail and a not so friendly knock on the door

Depends on your juristriction. And, there would technically be anonymizing software with no trail to the end user.

• @rustelekom said:

@shruub said:

It is unfortunately one of the big problem of internet. Compromise between anonymity and privacy and people safety.

Yup.The balance sadly will (probably) never be found.

• @shruub said:

@lowenduser1 said:

@shruub said:

Depends on your juristriction. And, there would technically be anonymizing software with no trail to the end user.

It would get triggered by keywords and send automated API call. Maybe Indians still use fax as endpoint but it's pretty automated