Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 11 may soon receive the sudo command - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 11 may soon receive the sudo command

2»

Comments

• @totally_not_banned said:

@qbit15 said:
    In case people didn't know, sudo is being maintained by only one dude[1]. Currently, he has no sponsors to support sudo

1. https://github.com/sudo-project/sudo/graphs/contributors

Well, it's not like it's a super complicated program and i somewhat doubt it needing a lot of maintenance. If he's in need of money the best option would likely be contacting Canonical as A] without them hardly anyone would know sudo and B] 90% of their users would be unable to administrate their computers if sudo suddenly disappeared.

Why don't you fork it and start maintaining sudo if it's so easy to build? Stop being so entitled to every open source software. Everyone can criticize from the side lines but when it comes to actually contributing, no one does it

• edited February 13

@qbit15 said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@qbit15 said:
    In case people didn't know, sudo is being maintained by only one dude[1]. Currently, he has no sponsors to support sudo

1. https://github.com/sudo-project/sudo/graphs/contributors

Well, it's not like it's a super complicated program and i somewhat doubt it needing a lot of maintenance. If he's in need of money the best option would likely be contacting Canonical as A] without them hardly anyone would know sudo and B] 90% of their users would be unable to administrate their computers if sudo suddenly disappeared.

Why don't you fork it and start maintaining sudo if it's so easy to build? Stop being so entitled to every open source software. Everyone can criticize from the side lines but when it comes to actually contributing, no one does it

• Why would i fork something where need for improving is about zero and is highly likely to stay that way. It's not like sudo needs any active development. All that's maybe needed is adjusting to external breakage, which given sudo's minimal requirements should happen every blue moon at best.
    • I have about 2 use cases for sudo (shutting down or hibernating my desktop from the GUI), which are A] convenience only B] would take me about 15 minutes to replace with SUID binaries, so please excuse if i'm not appreciating the existence of sudo enough in your opinion. If it were to go away tomorrow i'd hardly notice and that's before taking into account that i could easily fix the minimal amount of bitrot it might get from being unmaintained myself.
    • How do you know i don't maintain or contribute to any opensource projects?