Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 11 may soon receive the sudo command
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 11 may soon receive the sudo command

According to those who have been keeping an eye on Windows developments, the sudo command will likely be added to consumer-facing editions of Windows 11 in the near future (via Neowin). This comes after some reviewed Windows Server 2025 preview builds and found hints that it could be in the works. If it debuts on Windows 11, as some are predicting, users will need to enable Developer Mode in order to leverage sudo (via Twitter/@thebookisclosed). Additionally, the configuration of sudo will need to be done in a new window. All of this being said, many Windows device owners can already leverage sudo on their operating system through third-party alternatives

More:
https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-microsoft-sudo-command-rumor/

Comments

• What good will it do for Windows?

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep

OpenBSD: In the spirit of Microsoft bringing sudo to Windows, it is time we bring Word to OpenBSD.

Same as Microsoft:

1. Not caring about name confusion
    2. Not caring about compatible behaviours
    3. Not caring about trademarks or defacto trademarks
    4. Not asking the original product teams if it is OK.

This is setting the standard as well as Microsoft will do with sudo.

• Great. sudo rm -rf /

Thanked by 1CheepCluck
  • sudo is pretty much a synonym for retardation so it kind of fits. I wonder if there is even 1% of sudo users that use it for it's intented purpose and not just as a poor su replacement.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@tentor said: OpenBSD: In the spirit of Microsoft bringing sudo to Windows, it is time we bring Word to OpenBSD.

Ironically, OpenBSD deprecated sudo and replaced it with doas due to security concerns.

@totally_not_banned said: not just as a poor su replacement

There are valid reasons to give unix user #1 the ability to run one command as unix user #2 without given them the power to do everything user #2 can do, especially if user #2 is root.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@totally_not_banned said: sudo is pretty much a synonym for retardation so it kind of fits. I wonder if there is even 1% of sudo users that use it for it's intented purpose and not just as a poor su replacement.

sudo su -

:)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@kevinds said:

@totally_not_banned said: sudo is pretty much a synonym for retardation so it kind of fits. I wonder if there is even 1% of sudo users that use it for it's intented purpose and not just as a poor su replacement.

sudo su -

:)

sudo -i

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @raindog308 said:

@totally_not_banned said: not just as a poor su replacement

There are valid reasons to give unix user #1 the ability to run one command as unix user #2 without given them the power to do everything user #2 can do, especially if user #2 is root.

Correct but how many people actually use it this way? 1% is likely already pushing it. There's very valid and clever use cases but the average user thinks it's simply what you prepend when something needs root rights.

• @spywork said:
    Great. sudo rm -rf /

sudo rm -rf --nopreservesystem32 /

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited February 10

sudo :(){ :|:& };:

• qbit15qbit15 Member
    edited February 10

In case people didn't know, sudo is being maintained by only one dude[1]. Currently, he has no sponsors to support sudo

1. https://github.com/sudo-project/sudo/graphs/contributors
  • @Levi said:

Fork bomb. Internet is a dangerous place, be on a lookout kids!

• sudo visudo

@qbit15 said: Fork bomb. Internet is a dangerous place, be on a lookout kids!

Never paste code you don't understand into your terminal.. Especially that you find on the internet...

• LeviLevi Member

@qbit15 said:

@Levi said:

It is essentially rm -rf.

• @kevinds said:

@qbit15 said: Fork bomb. Internet is a dangerous place, be on a lookout kids!

Never paste code you don't understand into your terminal.. Especially that you find on the internet...

How about someone's terminal?

@uekix said: How about someone's terminal?

Someone else's terminal? Go for it.. They wouldn't have left it open if they didn't want other people to use it.. ;)

• qbit15qbit15 Member
    edited February 10

@Levi said:

@qbit15 said:

@Levi said:

It's very much not. It's an anonymous function, which keeps spawning new processes in background which will lead to a system crash once your system cannot handle all those processes

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Microsoft created sudo repo on github
    https://github.com/microsoft/sudo

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • LeviLevi Member

@qbit15 said:

@Levi said:

@qbit15 said:

@Levi said:

It's very much not. It's an anonymous function, which keeps spawning new processes in background which will lead to a system crash once your system cannot handle all those processes

Have you tested it? :)

• edited February 10

@qbit15 said:
    In case people didn't know, sudo is being maintained by only one dude[1]. Currently, he has no sponsors to support sudo

1. https://github.com/sudo-project/sudo/graphs/contributors

Well, it's not like it's a super complicated program and i somewhat doubt it needing a lot of maintenance. If he's in need of money the best option would likely be contacting Canonical as A] without them hardly anyone would know sudo and B] 90% of their users would be unable to administrate their computers if sudo suddenly disappeared.

• bootboot Member

Microsoft has already ruined sudo, so I will have to switch to doas.

Thanked by 1lowenduser1

@boot said:
    Microsoft has already ruined sudo, so I will have to switch to doas.

It will be interesting to see the implementation though..

Would be nice to have an easier way to access the "SYSTEM" account..

Obviously, everything about permissions and the command line experience is different between Windows and Linux. This project is not a fork of the Linux sudo project, nor is it a port of the Linux sudo project. Instead, Sudo for Windows is a Windows-specific implementation of the sudo concept.

Weird to take a name from a completely different operating system. Why not call it transuac or something...

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • I think borrowing the sudo name makes sense. Everyone already associates it with root/elevated permissions even if they use it wrong.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited February 11

@totally_not_banned said:
    sudo is pretty much a synonym for retardation so it kind of fits. I wonder if there is even 1% of sudo users that use it for it's intented purpose and not just as a poor su replacement.

Agreed, plus most of its uses can be replaced with su, runuser and auditd. The only unique+useful feature I’m aware of is nopasswd whitelisting commands

I keep it uninstalled on all my systems and don’t miss it except for the annoyance of editing it out of copy+pasted commands

• 0xC70xC7 Member

I wonder if its sudo propagate by Active Directory Domain Services giving another headache for IT admin :p

• @darkimmortal said:

@totally_not_banned said:
    sudo is pretty much a synonym for retardation so it kind of fits. I wonder if there is even 1% of sudo users that use it for it's intented purpose and not just as a poor su replacement.

Agreed, plus most of its uses can be replaced with su, runuser and auditd. The only unique+useful feature I’m aware of is nopasswd whitelisting commands

I keep it uninstalled on all my systems and don’t miss it except for the annoyance of editing it out of copy+pasted commands

I wonder if you could replace sudo with a basic alias or shell script which shims the behaviour expected by other scripts by replacing it with other equivalent commands? Or if you were running this commands as root anyway, an even more basic shim that just runs the command as-is.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal

@Erisa said: I wonder if you could replace sudo with a basic alias or shell script which shims the behaviour expected by other scripts by replacing it with other equivalent commands? Or if you were running this commands as root anyway, an even more basic shim that just runs the command as-is.

Something like this:

alias sudo='/usr/bin/true && '

Since true(1) always succeeds and does nothing, this alias is essentially a NOP.

Thanked by 3Erisa darkimmortal 0xC7
  • 0xC70xC7 Member

raindog308 said: Something like this:

yes, something I have put on .bashrc of non-technical co-worker too
    alias sudo='/usr/bin/true && '
    alias su='/usr/bin/true && '
    and when he should run script (installer) or command ... modified to full_path of su/sudo like
    /usr/bin/sudo script.sh
    $(which sudo) script.sh