Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

chicagovps.net - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

chicagovps.net

13»

Comments

• MopsyMopsy Member

@kbar: Any particular reason? There's not even a button for them, and backticks come naturally to mind when indicating shell.

@Clinton: Yeah, I've heard that they were quite good, and have heard very few complaints. I appreciate you extolling the virtues of a competitor, though. Ultimately, though, like I said, it came down to bang for our buck. And I appreciate the offer, I'll keep it in mind. =]

@yomero: After some more research, it appears my initial observation was incorrect. However, it also appears Xen has more stable and predictable performance. %st stands for "Steal Time" or "stolen time", and it only seems to work from within Xen, because Xen is para-virtualized instead of the low-level virtualization OpenVZ does. Anyhow, it allows you to see when your own vCPUs would be available, except the physical CPUs are being used by other processes (likely other VPS users). The only difference with OpenVZ is that you cannot see this. So, it's a way to diagnose it. As long as your provider doesn't oversell, though, that should mean it's fine. I'm hoping that's the case for me. crosses fingers Either way, thanks very much for this information. Right now, I just want to get my stuffed moved over so things can actually run again, but, I'll likely come back later to do a review once I've had some time with the VPS.

Also, to anyone interested in learning about Xen vs. OpenVZ, I found this article informative.

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2012

the backticks are ugly as hell on vanilla for some reason

for example:

`Irssi::settings_add_str( "misc", $CLAN_FILE,
    $ENV{HOME} . "/.irssi/scripts/wraithbot/conf/clans.txt" );
    Irssi::settings_add_str( "misc", $QUOTES_FILE,
    $ENV{HOME} . "/.irssi/scripts/wraithbot/conf/quotes.txt" );

my $FMT = Util::IRC::Format->new();

Edit this for the list of servers you want. You will want to have an unique prefix

because commands like !players will match on the prefix.

my $SERVERS = get_server_list();
    my $TS3 = get_ts3_list();
    my $MUTE = 0;

`

vs

Irssi::settings_add_str( "misc", $CLAN_FILE,
        $ENV{HOME} . "/.irssi/scripts/wraithbot/conf/clans.txt" );
    Irssi::settings_add_str( "misc", $QUOTES_FILE,
        $ENV{HOME} . "/.irssi/scripts/wraithbot/conf/quotes.txt" );

my $FMT = Util::IRC::Format->new();

# Edit this for the list of servers you want.  You will want to have an unique prefix
    # because commands like !players will match on the prefix.
    my $SERVERS = get_server_list();
    my $TS3     = get_ts3_list();
    my $MUTE    = 0;

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • MopsyMopsy Member

You're right, that looks a lot better- works better for code, too. Is all HTML allowed, or just specific tags? Or does this have something to do with Markdown? I'm not familiar with either that nor Vanilla- though I really like what I've seen of it.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Mopsy said: Chris got back to me, but, all he said was to fill out another ticket, which didn't work the first time. If I have to fill out a ticket AND get someone important to pay attention to it, that's probably not a good sign. I mean, we already have a ticket there. :-/

I didnt realize the nature of what you were asking in your e-mail. You asked me about a general support question and that is why I directed you to open a ticket.

If you have a problem like this with any host regardless who you are with and contact someone directly, I suggest you inform them as much as possible. I did not know you had tickets previously open, or what this thread really entailed until I just read it tonight ( I have not been active the past 2 weeks while out of town ).

Wish we could have done more for you.

Regards,

Chris

• MopsyMopsy Member
    edited March 2012

Whole of the email:

Hi, I've been having issues with my VPS, and it started with an I/O problem last week. I tried to reboot it, and it never came back up, and support blamed it on me for using apt-get upgrade. :-/

Anyhow, the problem is described more in-depth on the Low-End-Talk thread ( http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1925/chicagovps.net ), where someone suggested I contact you at this email. Apologies if that's not the correct course of action here.

Anyhow, I'm getting the VPS from my employer as a benefit, so it should be under his email, [email removed] . Feel free to contact him if need be; I realize I'm not technically the account holder.

Thanks.

-

@CVPS_Chris said: I didnt realize the nature of what you were asking in your e-mail. You asked me about a general support question and that is why I directed you to open a ticket.

Right, but I also mentioned that I'd already spoken to, and received a poor answer from, support.

If you have a problem like this with any host regardless who you are with and contact someone directly, I suggest you inform them as much as possible. I did not know you had tickets previously open, or what this thread really entailed until I just read it tonight ( I have not been active the past 2 weeks while out of town ).

I briefly went over the important details, and rather than rehash everything in this thread, or send you a wall of text as an email (which I've always known to be far more of a taboo when it comes to contacting someone directly, especially someone who is busy with support, which I have plenty of first-hand experience with), I linked you to the thread.

Wish we could have done more for you.

I think you could have- it was within your ability. That's not what happened. Maybe part of that can be blamed on my lack of verbosity in that email toward the end, but the ball was initially dropped by the system (which happens! that's fine), and then left unfixed by two different support reps who would rather blame the problem on the end user than consider that something might be wrong with the system, or that something might be being abused by another user, both of which I suspect to be the respective causes for my problems.

While I can appreciate that you were out of town, I also think it would have been worth either looking at this thread, which I'd helpfully linked, or looking up the email I provided in your system, which would have showed you we already had a ticket opened. Being unable to do that is also easily excusable, but responding to the problem by willfully choosing not to follow up on either important piece of information I'd provided, and doing so in a manner as if you had, was, in my opinion, not correct. I think it would have been nice if, along with that reply, you mentioned that you'd not looked up my account, nor read this thread- or you could have even asked for more detailed information on the problem. I also know that I only mentioned support once in that email, and you could have missed it, which is also fine. But I've repeatedly fallen through the cracks, and my attempts to reach out and get help from you guys were not met properly at any point.

From my point of view, we tried to contact support, and were met most unhelpfully. A friend of mine suggested I post here, both to get insightful input and possibly get the attention of someone from chicago-vps.net that could help. My problem was confirmed as out of the ordinary, ChicagoVPS's quality was confirmed as generally high, and I was directed to you. If I weren't so far in the process, I may have considered a second ticket, or if you had followed up on either method I'd given you for identification of my problem (even partway), you'd likely have realized something wasn't right.

Nothing really happened rightly, but I don't think it's necessarily a reflection of your service. All this said, I also think the system itself ran really well when it was working properly (and when I/O usage wasn't through the roof), and I've said that before in this very thread. But I also really don't think coming in this thread with the last post, trying to pass blame onto me- publicly, at that- rather than email me or accept that I was not taken care of is the right way to go at all. For what it's worth, though, I do appreciate you at least coming back to read this thread. None of this is anything against you personally, Chris, I just don't feel I was treated properly as a customer at ChicagoVPS. Anyhow, have a good day, man.

And sorry for the wall of text, everyone, but, I feel most of it was needed to express my thoughts.

EDIT: The formatting of this post was very poor the first time. I don't think I'm fond of how Vanilla handles quotes. To anyone that was confused while reading this before now, I'd reread the confusing parts- they should be fixed.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Linode is fantastic.
    Linode is also expensive.
    Linode is not a LEB.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • Linode issues a 24h null for a short burst of <G incoming. ;m

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • MopsyMopsy Member

@raindog: Personally, I'd consider any VPS a LEB.

Thanked by 1JoeMerit
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Mopsy,

I didn't pass the blame onto you I was just trying to explain to everyone what happened on my side since I had no stand in this thread up until that last post. I also stated that I wish we could have helped you more, meaning that it was our fault for not being detailed enough on resolving the problem.

I wish you luck with your new host

Regards,

Chris

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • MopsyMopsy Member

@CVPS_Chris: Then, I apologize for misunderstanding you.