Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

chicagovps.net - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

chicagovps.net

Comments

• Not that I am aware of, has always seemed fine to me.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • AdamAdam Member
    edited March 2012

@Ivraatiems & @peppr, there was no offence meant, it's just every time I see a thread like this, everyone comes in posting their benchmarks.
    While it can be a good comparison, it seems to be the default now days. Which when a person has a faulty VPS, one of the last things they want to hear is "mine's fine" ;)

@Mopsy there are quite a few who have encountered I/O problems with ChicagoVPS including myself.
    I have mixed feelings about them. I had the same issue as you for a long time (trying to convince them that it was not my container), but towards the end of my contract they seemed to have caught on (Send a ticket, and the abusers would be taken care of).

While we don't know the whole story, running 'upgrade' on a VPS is standard and shouldn't be met with errors... But there's always the possibility that something you upgraded caused havoc with the kernal.
    There's even the scenario that the hard drive or raid card are the cause.

The only thing that I can really suggest is that if you don't feel comfortable with them, then move hosts.
    Personally if someone said the following, I wouldn't renew my contract:

"You broke it."

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • @Mopsy: as others have suggested, apt-get upgrade is standard and should never break a VPS. dist-upgrade (or do-release-upgrade), where you upgrade the OS instead of updating it, is a different story though - it has broken OpenVZ VPSs for me on multiple occasions, and once, even a Xen HVM. But I knew that going in... :)

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • @kbar for a couple of weeks back in November-December we were getting hit with a ddos that was targetting Dedmau5's server. We nullrouted it a couple of times and the attacks never resumed. We also now have a system in place that nullroutes most attacks within a few minutes, however we've been clear of any attacks or networking issues for a while now. We did a few network upgrades in January and Feburary as well.

@Legendlink Thanks. :) We specialize in gameservers, however we've offered VPS hosting for much longer and have quite a few happy clients that rent VPS' and dedicated servers from us.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited March 2012

Yeah, this past week they were good and pulling consistant 11 MB/s download speeds and around 90-130 MB/s disk I/o.

Yesterday and still today, the speeds have dropped dramatically and as a result the VPS often becomes unresponsive.

root@creamfilled:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 51.221 s, 21.0 MB/s

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • MopsyMopsy Member

@Ivraatiems: I appreciate the recommendation, but, looking at their site, that appears to be managed game servers. They are talking about which games you can run and how many slots per server, and they don't seem to mention system resources. Besides that, I like to run web servers alongside them, and completely manage every aspect of my game servers. Again, I appreciate the recommendation.

@Adam: It's alright, I understood you. And on one hand, all the people sharing benchmarks did show me that ChicagoVPS isn't all shoddy, but, after I learned that fact it was superfluous. Their hearts were in the right place though, I think.

I have mixed feelings for them as well. They're based partly off of my experiences, partly from reviews, and partly from what the people on here have shared. See, that's what I thought, but, I then sort of doubled back and thought that maybe it would mess with something on a VPS. I'm fairly adept with linux administration, and have been doing it professionally for a while, but I definitely know very little about linux virtualization, other than that you usually can't sync the hardware clock. I thought it might be a case of "some idiot on a VPS tried to apt-get upgrade' or something.

Yeah, it basically comes down to what you said at the end here. "You broke it" is not exactly what I want to hear from support. Chris got back to me, but, all he said was to fill out another ticket, which didn't work the first time. If I have to fill out a ticket AND get someone important to pay attention to it, that's probably not a good sign. I mean, we already have a ticket there. :-/

As for something I upgraded causing havoc, it was nothing out of the ordinary. I was getting a message about failing to use a file that appeared to be a kernel, but, the very first command I did when I got in there was apt-get update, and that was there right away. Stuff I had installed was apache2, php5, mysql5.1, bind9, openjdk-jre-headless, openjdk-jre-lib, unzip, vsftpd, command-not-found, and mlocate. Oh, and several standard php5 modules. Besides that, though, after they told us we had to reinstall and the three days passed, I had my boss try restarting it from the panel once it was back up, and it just did the same thing again. We already had the backups at this point, but, it made it seem that the box was doomed from when we got it. The I/O thing appears to be a secondary, separate problem.

@quirkyquark: I definitely did not do that. I was to understand the VPS owners would be dealing with all the kernel shenanigannery, but, either way, I did not touch it.

@Clinton: I appreciate the transparency, thanks much. I think you might have some business in the near future.

@NateN34: Is this with ChicagoVPS, or AllGamer? Also, are you on a Xen, or OpenVZ?

Thanks everyone for your comments. If there are any new developments, I'll post in here, and I will keep checking back to see if anyone else says anything new.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited March 2012

@Mopsy: Is this with ChicagoVPS, or AllGamer? Also, are you on a Xen, or OpenVZ?

ChicagoVPS XEN 512 MB plan.

Node VPS24 if that matters.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • MopsyMopsy Member

@NateN34: Ah, thanks very much. Is there a way for me to tell the node from within my VPS, or would I need to have my boss get that from the panel?

• @Mopsy : a traceroute to your ip can reveal as well i guess. Also can find from the solus panel.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • @Mopsy Yeah, they are managed... sorry! I can only echo recommendations for Linode otherwise; I haven't had any other experiences with hosts I like quite as much. If you can afford them, they're definitely worth it.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • MopsyMopsy Member
    edited March 2012

Ah, good idea @peppr. Here's from my Debian box at home, with specific information removed:

~$ traceroute <my domain> [snip'd- just getting out of my ISP's network] 12 ae1-40g.cr1.ord1.us.nlayer.net (69.31.111.133) 76.352 ms 63.595 ms 63.338 ms 13 po6.ar2.ord1.us.scnet.net (69.31.111.6) 66.820 ms po6.ar1.ord1.us.scnet.net (69.31.111.58) 66.589 ms 66.737 ms 14 61.po1.ar1.ord6.us.scnet.net (75.102.3.226) 67.007 ms 66.960 ms 62.po2.ar2.ord6.us.scnet.net (75.102.3.230) 66.650 ms 15 as36352.po4.ar1.ord6.us.scnet.net (204.93.192.186) 65.454 ms as36352.po4.ar2.ord6.us.scnet.net (204.93.192.190) 64.322 ms 68.779 ms 16 fu146.aggr.chi.colocrossing.com (206.217.133.254) 67.582 ms 65.738 ms 69.609 ms 17 [what my IP's Reverse record resolves to] ([my box's IP]) 69.634 ms 65.108 ms 64.859 ms

@Ivraatiems: Ah, well, I still appreciate the recommendation. Unless ChicagoVPS can get their act together, I'll probably be doing AllGamer or Linode. Probably AllGamer if their coupon from here still works. =]

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited March 2012

edited

• MopsyMopsy Member

Hm?

• Looks like the whole thread was created to shill for Allgamer, not impressed.

• @JoeMerit Uhhh, what? No. Go away.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • MopsyMopsy Member
    edited March 2012

^ Sorry, that's not the case. I'm not in any way affiliated with AllGamer; I only heard about them initially from a friend, and then a thread on here. I came here because a different friend, who runs a company called HostMist (whom I'd be plugging if that's why I registered here), suggested asking on LowEndTalk about their company if they weren't replying favorably to tickets.

For what it's worth, I'm also still considering Linode, but, they are more expensive, and besides basic stability, gaming and such are my primary focuses. It actually may turn out that I go with Linode, though, especially considering I like Chicago as a location, and AllGamer does not appear to offer that one.

Also, does anyone have any experience with gameservers on Linode, or both Linode and AllGamer? AllGamer seems to offer me 3 vCPUs with the plan I'm eyeing but Linode seems to have a larger reputation.

• @JoeMerit said: Looks like the whole thread was created to shill for Allgamer, not impressed.

You should start watching the more competent trolls on this forum. Might learn a thing or two.

Thanked by 2Mopsy JoeMerit
  • MopsyMopsy Member
    edited March 2012

Ah, was he trolling? I didn't get that, or I'd not have fed him. >.<

EDIT: Also, as I had just discovered the "Thanks" feature from @Aldryic mentioning it in one of the Constantinos threads, I have thanked everyone in this thread who I feel has helped me out or provided useful information.

• @Mopsy said: I'm also still considering Linode

Linode is OpenVZ, and while there is nothing wrong with OpenVZ for game servers, and Linode is not going to oversell their nodes, any reputable VPS provider can fill your needs. BuyVM has stock today, Ram Host, QuickWeb, myself, KiloServer... there are many quality KVM/Xen providers that will suite your needs and offer higher end LEB that rival top of the line providers at a fraction of the cost do to their unmanaged nature.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • u4iau4ia Member

^^ Linode is XEN PV

Thanked by 2Mopsy tux
  • @u4ia said: Linode is XEN PV

Really, thanks for the correction, one of the big names is Openvz that I have on my mind, can't think of it, though

• MopsyMopsy Member
    edited March 2012

Apologies if this is a newbish question, but, I was told I definitely wanted to go with XEN. As far as I understand, with XEN, my vCPU(s) is/are mine, and can't be abused by other users, which is a problem I've had in the past. If this is not the case, then correct me; I don't know the advantages of each (but don't mind learning), and I'm pretty sure OpenVZ is more prone to reselling.

I just run a little gaming a community, a few blogs, personal sites, and small friends' websites (and I soon intend to have a personal portfolio of work I've done). The former-most generally has a Minecraft server (though I've had it off since this nonsense with ChicagoVPS), a TeammSpeak 3 Server, and occasionally another game server if it's something we're playing.

Nothing I do is big-time, or requires much in terms of resources, but peering, latency, uplink speed, and uptime are all very important to me and my community. You can't very well try to get people to join your servers if they're down and/or freezing up all the time. Anyhow, my point is, I just need a little VPS for my personal stuff, but I do need something that can support the demand of small gameservers, though I personally ensure that they have as low of a resource footprint as I can get them to. If XEN is not what I'd want to do that, someone correct me now. XD

• @Mopsy said: I was told I definitely wanted to go with XEN

You know, I used to fix computers, and my two best referral sources were a friend from work and a guy at church that worked on the PC first, hence, do not listen to others, educate yourself, you are at least supplementing your income, enjoying a hobby, or making a living from this, you owe it to yourself to understand it.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • MopsyMopsy Member

I was told by a friend whose knowledge of linux and servers I respect a great deal. I don't intend to take anything anyone says at face value without confirming it for myself. However, despite my experience with linux system administration, I'm willing to bet the regulars on Low End Talk know a lot more about VPSes than I do, and probably have some good advice to share.

Don't assume that I am not educating myself, and don't underestimate the value of the knowledge and experience of those that know a given field. I'm simply trying to see what people potentially more knowledgeable than I about these things might think. Their knowledge on the subject should be evident when they post, too.

That said, I'm also not trying to throw too many of the notions I've conceived out there, as I don't want to pre-seed people's answers. And I do appreciate the advice, besides, but I'm not just avoiding research or trying to get you guys to spoon-feed me. :P

• MopsyMopsy Member
    edited March 2012

Here's the error I got the first time I ran apt-get upgrade, which is what is being alleged to have caused the problem:

Errors were encountered while processing: linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It's also the error I'm getting now whenever I run aptitude. Full output can be found here. Before anyone asks why I have badgerports in there, it's for wine. :P

• MopsyMopsy Member

Well, consider this thread finished. My boss ended up grabbing an AllGamer, and the decisive factor was the price with that coupon.

~# dd if=/dev/zero of=disk-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm disk-test 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.37427 s, 200 MB/s

I am pleased. Anyhow, you've been wonderful, thanks very much for your help!

• @Mopsy Glad everything worked out :)

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • flyfly Member
    edited March 2012

@mopsy side note:
    dont use the code tag
    use pre tags

test
    Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • ClintonClinton Member
    edited March 2012

Just to clear up some things on Linode. They are Xen and we actually run our webserver on a VPS from them. The stability is rock solid and the performance is not overkill, but it's consistent. The best thing they have going for them in my opinion is their control panel.

@Mopsy Thanks for the order. Do shoot me a PM if you have any questions come up.

Thanked by 1Mopsy
  • @Mopsy said: Apologies if this is a newbish question, but, I was told I definitely wanted to go with XEN. As far as I understand, with XEN, my vCPU(s) is/are mine, and can't be abused by other users, which is a problem I've had in the past

I am not sure of this man. I don't think so, because I had issues with my first Xen container.
    Also, in 'top' you can see a parameter '%st' which is the time "stolen" from your current used cpu time to be used for other containers (or something similar). Google for "xen stolen time"

Thanked by 1Mopsy