Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone tried Vultr's free tier program (free vps) - what's next? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone tried Vultr's free tier program (free vps) - what's next?

2»

Comments

• @zGato said:

@dosai said:
    My server expiry is 2024-03-09. However, I deleted my instance few weeks ago.

Do they allow to deploy outside of Frankfurt and the 2 US locations now?

I wish I knew this before I threw my $5 at them. I was so excited about my Mumbai VPS but fuck this shit. Almost feels like I got scammed.

• delete the instance, Remind (^O^)

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • yeah.. thanks for the reminder.

• Free tier is a good way to get new clients considering the big clouds like Google are offering up to 200k credits (for startups). Vultr also offer up to $200 for new customers to test out their platform.

Customer acquisition costs are driven higher and higher as VCs go for market share regardless of profitability. GoDaddy alone spend three figure millions on ads a year.

Vultr was the cloud offering for Choopa before they closed down their 'traditional' services to focus on their cloud platform. They no longer offer colocation etc.

I never saw their offer as much more than a lead in.

I do have a 2GB VPS (AMD High Performance) with them that runs a small Telegram bot on Ubuntu. Very slow and overpriced relatively.

I don't think there's anything next. It's just a marketing offer similar to many.

Thanked by 2JasonM emgh
  • LicryleLicryle Member
    edited May 1

I just checked again their website and there is no mention of the 1 year validity. It's not mentioned in any email you receive either.
    So it's only on the account page you may or not have ever visited.

Bear in mind that they will not remind you and just start charging you (or try to). If payment fails, don't worry! The service doesn't stop, instead their ToS reserve the right to keep serving and charge you interests and lawyer fees no matter what action you take, since the billing period already started.

If anything, (1) the lack of notice of expiration, (2) lack of notice of upcoming bill, (3) auto charging, and (4) keep the service rather than stop it when the credit card is declined feels altogether a little predatory.

I can't recall encountering a service, big or small, doing this in ages.

Also throw in the price increase to 5$/mo (+ traffic fees) since this thread started and you have a smelly combo imo...

Thanked by 1adly
  • adlyadly Veteran

@Licryle said:
    I just checked again their website and there is no mention of the 1 year validity. It's not mentioned in any email you receive either.

Bear in mind that they will not remind you and just start charging you (or try to). If payment fails, don't worry! The service doesn't stop, instead their ToS reserve the right to keep serving and charge you interests and lawyer fees no matter what action you take, since the billing period already started.

If anything, (1) the lack of notice of expiration, (2) lack of notice of upcoming bill, (3) auto charging, and (4) keep the service rather than stop it when the credit card is declined feels altogether a little predatory.

Also throw in the price increase to 5$/mo (+ traffic fees) since this thread started and you have a smelly combo imo...

That they didn’t send any notice at all, and the term of the deal not being clear at the time the programme launched and many joined, does leave bad taste to be honest. But then there’s always something about Vultr that felt “off” for me, so I can’t say I’m shocked.

• emghemgh Member

@adly said:

@Licryle said:

That they didn’t send any notice at all, and the term of the deal not being clear at the time the programme launched and many joined, does leave bad taste to be honest. But then there’s always something about Vultr that felt “off” for me, so I can’t say I’m shocked.

What’s off about them? I used them for quite some time, I think I stopped as it felt like the other clouds pushed forward while, at Vultr, I was paying extra for ’High Frequency’ etc, but still getting meh performance, didn’t really seem like they kept up with upgrading their stuff.

I think I know what you mean though, but I’m not sure.