Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone tried Vultr's free tier program (free vps) - what's next?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone tried Vultr's free tier program (free vps) - what's next?

JasonMJasonM Member
edited February 2 in General

Last March 2023, I had signed up for Vultr's free tier prgram (free vps) and it is still going fine. They provided 1vCPU / 512MB RAM / 10GB SSD / 1 IPv4 Address
https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184879/vultr-new-free-plan/p1

but there is no end date for this program or is their an end date? Anybody knows??

I'm asking it here because many fellow LET users signed up then and in March 2024 one year will be completed. Right now it gets auto renewed every month for $0.00 on 1st day of the month.

So what's next? Did anyone got any information (from Vultr) if this vps program is going to end or to be continued further? If no, I'll be opening a ticket with them.

P.S. Vultr free tier VPS is still available for new sign up here for those who are interested!
https://www.vultr.com/free-tier-program/ - aff link

https://www.vultr.com/free-tier-program/

Comments

• How long did it take for you to get approved?

• zGatozGato Member

Wanted to apply a while ago but completely forgot, I just applied, and my account is from 2017 so let's see if they accept me.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

They offered it for only one year, free of charge, and after that, they will charge the regular price of $3.5 per month.

Most likely, they will notify you once the free trial period is nearing an end, or just check when your service was activated, and if you don't want to continue, then cancel it one day before or the same day.

Thanked by 2JasonM Porlam
  • xaocxaoc Member
    edited February 2

It's a scam, at least for me. They asked for like 5$ to put me on a waiting list. I just checked and I'm still on the waiting list. 😂

/s

• I'm curious to know too

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @shaikhmanal said: How long did it take for you to get approved?

2 to 3 days.

• @xaoc said: It's a scam, at least for me. They asked for like 5$ to put me on a waiting list. I just checked and I'm still on the waiting

Nope, you could have paid $0 (to verify the card) without paying. They have an option for this. (a check box).

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited February 2

@ManishPant said:
    They offered it for only one year, free of charge, and after that, they will charge the regular price of $3.5 per month.

Most likely, they will notify you once the free trial period is nearing an end, or just check when your service was activated, and if you don't want to continue, then cancel it one day before or the same day.

They demand billing information to sign up for the free service?

• xaocxaoc Member

@JasonM said:

@xaoc said: It's a scam, at least for me. They asked for like 5$ to put me on a waiting list. I just checked and I'm still on the waiting

Nope, you could have paid $0 (to verify the card) without paying. They have an option for this. (a check box).

Could have, should have, would have. Irrelevant. 😂

• @JosephF said: They demand billing information to sign up for the free service?

Yes, a valid credit card is required. They don't charge though. Just that one person should get 1 free vps instance. Or else people will spam the offer.

• @JosephF said:

@ManishPant said:

They demand billing information to sign up for the free service?

It's basically abuse prevention. Sucks but it's somewhat understandable. If they didn't do it they'd have a ton of people applying under 100 different names to either spam the living fuck out of everything or just resell the boxes to some poor bastard.

• ..... > @JasonM said:

@JosephF said: They demand billing information to sign up for the free service?

Yes, a valid credit card is required. They don't charge though. Just that one person should get 1 free vps instance. Or else people will spam the offer.

It doesn't say anywhere that the free tier is only for one year.

• @JosephF said: It doesn't say anywhere that the free tier is only for one year

It's inside your account on dashboard and not on free tier program page. Mine started on March 9th 2023 and will end on March 9th 2024 and clearly states I'll get for 1 year. But nowhere it is said if they are going to extend, cancel or if I will have to pay from April.

Anyways, i've just opened a ticket with their Account department. Will update this thread with their reply.

Thanked by 2Void Xrmaddness
  • dosaidosai Member

My server expiry is 2024-03-09. However, I deleted my instance few weeks ago.

• zGatozGato Member

@dosai said:

Do they allow to deploy outside of Frankfurt and the 2 US locations now?

• dosaidosai Member

@zGato said:

@dosai said:

Do they allow to deploy outside of Frankfurt and the 2 US locations now?

Nope.

Thanked by 1zGato
  • VoidVoid Member

@JasonM said:

Anyways, i've just opened a ticket with their Account department. Will update this thread with their reply.

Thanks.

• kvz12kvz12 Member
    edited February 2

@JasonM said:

@xaoc said: It's a scam, at least for me. They asked for like 5$ to put me on a waiting list. I just checked and I'm still on the waiting

I can't use that checkbox option. I get "Linking denied for this card. Please deposit an amount of $5 or greater."

• @kvz12 said:

@JasonM said:

I can't use that checkbox option. I get "Linking denied for this card. Please deposit an amount of $5 or greater."

Same. I put in the $5. Lets see if I get it.

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

I signed up for it when it was first announced, was approved shortly after. (Perhaps important note, I had spent a few hundreds on their platform previously and already had billing options on file)

In the Vultr Dashboard, it explicitly says when it ends for your account. Example from mine:

Your Free Tier starts on 2023-03-09 and will end on 2024-03-09.

This information is located at: https://my.vultr.com/settings/#settingsfreetier

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @JasonM said:
    Last March 2023, I had signed up for Vultr's free tier prgram (free vps) and it is still going fine. They provided 1vCPU / 512MB RAM / 10GB SSD / 1 IPv4 Address
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184879/vultr-new-free-plan/p1

but there is no end date for this program or is their an end date? Anybody knows??

I'm asking it here because many fellow LET users signed up then and in March 2024 one year will be completed. Right now it gets auto renewed every month for $0.00 on 1st day of the month.

So what's next? Did anyone got any information (from Vultr) if this vps program is going to end or to be continued further? If no, I'll be opening a ticket with them.

P.S. Vultr free tier VPS is still available for new sign up here for those who are interested!
    https://www.vultr.com/free-tier-program/ - aff link

https://www.vultr.com/free-tier-program/

Yeah, got mine like a year ago now it's expiring next month. The vps is decent enough to run nginx as a reverse proxy server for my stuff. A wireguard and outline vpn server. That's about it I can do with some spare memory left. I haven't received an email that they are shutting down the free vps program.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited February 3

here's an update from Vultr about free vps tier program
    They've replied my ticket:

so they'll keep the vps instance, but start billing me from April 1st, 2024 with regular price. I suppose it is $3.50/mo with IPv4 and $2.50/mo with IPv6

Thanked by 3Konbu Porlam _MS_
  • KonbuKonbu Member

Sad that it will end in March. 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。
    Here is the URL to check how long your contract is for
    https://my.vultr.com/settings/#settingsfreetier

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited February 3

yes, everyone who signed up in March 2023, will end their free vps in next month. :( :'(

• 1vCPU / 512MB RAM / 10GB SSD / 1 IPv4 Address

$3.50

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @Fubukibox said: The vps is decent enough to run nginx as a reverse proxy server for my stuff.

same here. Mine also host a small wordpress site.

• @JasonM said:
    here's an update from Vultr about free vps tier program
    They've replied my ticket:

so they'll keep the vps instance, but start billing me from April 1st, 2024 with regular price. I suppose it is $3.50/mo with IPv4 and $2.50/mo with IPv6

The $3.50/mo VPS plan they offer is an exact match to the free tier plan?

• yes, its extacly same, Vultr free tier plan (free vps) has 1 cpu, 512 MB RAM, 10 GB SSD, Intel CPU, 0.5TB bandwidth
    check Vultr pricing table :

• conceptconcept Member
    edited February 4

I totally forgot about this.

• @concept said:
    I totally forgot about this.

I suppose, then, you've been using it to idle...

Thanked by 1JasonM