Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not more providers getting in minidedi's segment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why not more providers getting in minidedi's segment

jason5545jason5545 Member
edited February 2 in General

[ Fri Feb 2 06:07:29 UTC 2024 Mod Edit by @Not_Oles at request of @jason5545: "Basically a mini PC with intel or AMD low powered cpu with iGPU transcoding capabilities." ]

Just wondering Why not more providers getting in minidedi's segment ?

AFAIK only @PulsedMedia and @DataIdeas-Josh and I'm pretty happy with both. But it's nice to see more providers enters this range of market.
Sometimes we don't need a beast, minidedi is quite nice.

Comments

• bootboot Member

No woman has ever said that.

Thanked by 3jason5545 RIYAD SLMob
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2

What are minidedi's? Big VPS like slicing up a dedi? Many do it. Harder to profit probably unless you sell out most of the space constantly.

• @MikeA said:
    What are minidedi's? Big VPS like slicing up a dedi? Many do it. Harder to profit probably unless you sell out most of the space constantly.

Basically a mini PC with intel or AMD low powered cpu with iGPU transcoding capabilities.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@jason5545 said: Why not more providers getting in minidedi's segment ?

Simple. Cost.
    Hard to automate.
    No IPMI.

• ArrowBoiArrowBoi Member
    edited February 2

edited my bad I didn't see the definition in the previous messaged.

Thanked by 1meditatingsurgeon
  • hostthebesthostthebest Member, Patron Provider

I have seen some interesting mini-pc options that I did not know about prior to seeing the offers here to be honest. Its a good option to provide for the ryzen platform

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jason5545 said: Basically a mini PC with intel or AMD low powered cpu with iGPU transcoding capabilities.

Or a Raspberry Pi :smile:

• I can buy a mini pc and host in basement, would you like that?

Thanked by 2jason5545 niranjan
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@jason5545 said:
    AFAIK only @PulsedMedia and @DataIdeas-Josh and I'm pretty happy with both. But it's nice to see more providers enters this range of market.

We do, and they're constantly sold out/have a queue. I don't remember exact numbers but between i5/i7 variants ~30-40 of them.

With that said, unless you're the perfect match for it it's not an ideal product for a provider. Intel AMT/vPro is a tough nut to crack properly, it's still flaky for IPMI-esque commands. It just doesn't act quite the same. They'd be excellent if you virtualized them and sliced them up, but you're still missing out on the attractive iGPU offering and they're still 'prosumer' style devices with a non-redundant PSU and 0 real ability to troubleshoot remotely (like a standard BMC/IPMI chip on enterprise hardware). They have a place, and as long as you/your customer understand that they've been popular and people seem to hold onto them. We did have to write a custom bridge to get PXE/IPMI commands working, though. Otherwise the manual input is too high at scale.

@PulsedMedia stuff is excellent, and chatting with him about it is fascinating. His platform is really nice and we've had a lot of shared pain/annoyances/triumphs on these things.

• @crunchbits said:

@jason5545 said:

We do, and they're constantly sold out/have a queue. I don't remember exact numbers but between i5/i7 variants ~30-40 of them.

With that said, unless you're the perfect match for it it's not an ideal product for a provider. Intel AMT/vPro is a tough nut to crack properly, it's still flaky for IPMI-esque commands. It just doesn't act quite the same. They'd be excellent if you virtualized them and sliced them up, but you're still missing out on the attractive iGPU offering and they're still 'prosumer' style devices with a non-redundant PSU and 0 real ability to troubleshoot remotely (like a standard BMC/IPMI chip on enterprise hardware). They have a place, and as long as you/your customer understand that they've been popular and people seem to hold onto them. We did have to write a custom bridge to get PXE/IPMI commands working, though. Otherwise the manual input is too high at scale.

@PulsedMedia stuff is excellent, and chatting with him about it is fascinating. His platform is really nice and we've had a lot of shared pain/annoyances/triumphs on these things.

wow, first time see people really put many tiny pc on rack xD
    i see mac mini/studio, raspbarry pi before, but normal x86 computer is first time

@NebulosaCat said:

i see mac mini/studio, raspbarry pi before, but normal x86 computer is first time

Theres a sideways mounted one we've done up too, a ~5U unit. Just have to burn through the already made 1U dual's :smile:

Thanked by 1NebulosaCat
  • BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@crunchbits said:

@NebulosaCat said:

Theres a sideways mounted one we've done up too, a ~5U unit. Just have to burn through the already made 1U dual's :smile:

I would like to see some pictures of the 5U case :wink:

@jason5545 said:

If enough people are interested, I might offer something like this.

All in all it just comes down to remote management.
    Unless have a tech that's actually at the DC. Then that's one thing.
    But like mentioned above. No remote abilities and single power supply also.

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • @crunchbits said:

@jason5545 said:

Frankly, just curious - I can't remember if I've ever asked you a similar question.

Have you guys considered using Raspberry Pi KVM or a similar open source solution?

That runs fine in my house.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • @jason5545 said:
    [ Fri Feb 2 06:07:29 UTC 2024 Mod Edit by @Not_Oles at request of @jason5545: "Basically a mini PC with intel or AMD low powered cpu with iGPU transcoding capabilities." ]

Count us too!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2

On Kimsufi we don't get IPMI either, and it's immensely popular. Ability to push the power and reset button, toggle power, and then also have the machine boot from PXE are generally enough for deployment and rescue system automation. The PXE-based automation might not be trivial, but it's something done once and then can be deployed and used on however many servers you want, indefinitely...

Might even not bother with power/reset, just plug it into a managed PDU or smart socket, and say to people you are SOL if you want graceful hardware power-off button, not provided here.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax

@danblaze said:

Frankly, just curious - I can't remember if I've ever asked you a similar question.

Have you guys considered using Raspberry Pi KVM or a similar open source solution?

Yeah it does but still need a "hdmi" switch. and without getting fonky in the config. the biggest that those support is a 4port hdmi switch.

If I was to sell minidedis, what specs and price would you be looking for? (location: the Netherlands)

@BasToTheMax said:
    If I was to sell minidedis, what specs and price would you be looking for? (location: the Netherlands)

i9 13900, a2000 gpu, 2x 8tb nvme, and 10g port

$7/mo :)

@danblaze said:

No, never touched the RPi stuff. That is @DataIdeas-Josh territory. I don't know anything about them, to be honest.

• Cause old blade servers take a lot of electricity.

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Have some units for specific customer, they are good until they works, even with certain level of automation, these units need remote hands regularly.

• @jason5545 said:

@MikeA said:

Basically a mini PC with intel or AMD low powered cpu with iGPU transcoding capabilities.

Modern lowend Intels have 1K+ single geekbench dedicated cores and UHD/Xe graphics. Works very well for lightweight gaming (Half Life 2 / E-Sports) over Parsec while traveling on mobile network or a graphical accelerated desktop with Kasmweb

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 3

Because i would need a solution ready to be racked and deployed with proper IPMI To easily manage them remotely anywhere in the world and not eating Remote Hands Money.

I dont Know any that dont give me pain.

Alot of my customers demand big configurations too

• Just NUCs and KVM console if needed

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

We've released a lot of info about the development; https://pulsedmedia.com/clients/index.php/announcements/632/MD-Platform-Development-Update-01or2024.html

This is why not many do these, needs a lot of custom hardware, custom tailoring, and we are now arriving to the conclusion that even "off the shelf" commercial server automation might not be what fits our needs.

They are low per unit price, so you Really really really do not have any time to spend on each particular unit? It breaks, you are SOL. It gets replaced, and when it's not busy it eventually gets repaired. Maybe. Or trashed.

Also tons of little nuances and issues to resolve. If you love puzzles; Then these are perfect, you'll spend years figuring out all the little nuances.

Then, to make this profitable, you finally arrive to the conclusion; How to host thousands of these AND keep them cool AND keep it manageable? Otherwise this is not profitable endeavour and years of your life wasted.

For us, the solution is to build a datacenter designed solely for these or similar units, ground up design.

We built a custom hw platform, custom power delivery system, custom wiring, hell even rack mounting has to be customized, and now it looks like we have to build our in-house custom dedicated server management software solution (like we did for seedboxes) to get what we need done. Hell, we even need to build custom physical burn-in test devices for QA & Configuring (Little tiny monitors + keyboards etc.). Let alone DC management "Industrial IoT" system all needs to be custom built to fit our needs perfecetly and not just "somewhat there". Even the sensors need to be soldered by hand, no off the shelf solution that fits our needs.

Super expensive upfront, tons of work, but once this works end to end; We can expect a factory like setup, single person setting up couple dozen new nodes every day. We might be able to push it to 40+ new units per day per person eventually. Years in the future.

There's more stock available right now btw; https://pulsedmedia.com/minidedi-dedicated-servers-finland.php