Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for hosting WordPress sites - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for hosting WordPress sites

2»

Comments

• @bgerard said:

@deedeemegadoodoo said:

@ahnlak said:
    Given the results have literally been published today, have you looked at the Provider Poll?

Pretty much any of that top 10 would fit you perfectly and within budget.

That's interesting. I've been using Mxroute and love their service. Also have a couple of RackNerd VPSes, and while they provide excellent value, I occasionally see strange slowdowns on my sites when fetching small static assets or cached pages from the origin server.

Are you caching the static assets? Put cloudflare in front and setup some page rules to cache as much as you can. I have a WordPress site where I cache everything in wp-content with a page rule, indefinitely. If anything needs to change, just purge the cache.

Yep, everything is cached, even html for anonymous sessions. Tiered cache is enabled. Problem is when there is a cache miss Cloudflare will sometimes take very long to fetch from origin. I am talking 10+ seconds to get a 50KB image. This never happened with my previous host (Namecheap shared hosting), and this also doesn't happen all the time with RN, so I have to assume it's an intermittent network issue. CPU and RAM usage are very low.

• @ahnlak said:

@deedeemegadoodoo said:

@ahnlak said:
    Given the results have literally been published today, have you looked at the Provider Poll?

That's interesting. I've been using Mxroute and love their service. Also have a couple of RackNerd VPSes, and while they provide excellent value, I occasionally see strange slowdowns on my sites when fetching small static assets or cached pages from the origin server.

Of course, that could just be WordPress being WordPress :wink:

I have used WordPress since 2009 on a variety of shared hosts. Also used Cloudflare since 2012. Never faced such issues. I have always used servers in the US or EU even though I live in India, and yet the sites rarely ever take over 5 seconds to load. I don't understand why it would sometimes take 2 seconds and sometimes take 20 seconds to load the same 300KB page.

If it was consistently slow I would almost feel better than the intermittent issues :smiley:

• @MrRetslav said:
    We can get you this in the Netherlands:

1 vCore
    2 Gb DDR4 ECC RAM
    32 Gb SSD Raid3
    1 IPv4
    2.5+ Tbps DDoS-Protection
    1 Gbps Up/Down
    32 TB Bandwidth

For just: €2.99/mo or €29.90/yr
    Order now at: https://retslav.net/#vps

Looks good. I will check it, thanks!

• emghemgh Member

@bgerard said:

@deedeemegadoodoo said:

@ahnlak said:

Are you caching the static assets? Put cloudflare in front and setup some page rules to cache as much as you can. I have a WordPress site where I cache everything in wp-content with a page rule, indefinitely. If anything needs to change, just purge the cache.

Purging is a bit annoying though.

I'd recommend getting object (db) caching set up, as well as page caching.

The page caching should be set to cache in RAM.

And you should set up good purging rules that clears just what you need to clear. Maybe even pre-loading if your sites aren't very big.

The end goal: Every page that don't change dynamically gets served in pre-compiled HTML straight from RAM, and pages that can't, well, at least there's object caching, speeding it up significantly as well.

This is how I've set up a client's WordPress website that had one issue: It's very low traffic overall, but maybe once a week or so, it spikes, usually a large amount of visitors per second even. This makes sure that it stays cool.

• @emgh said:

@bgerard said:

@deedeemegadoodoo said:

@ahnlak said:

And you should set up good purging rules that clears just what you need to clear. Maybe even pre-loading if your sites aren't very big.

The end goal: Every page that don't change dynamically gets served in pre-compiled HTML straight from RAM, and pages that can't, well, at least there's object caching, speeding it up significantly as well.

This is how I've set up a client's WordPress website that had one issue: It's very low traffic overall, but maybe once a week or so, it spikes, usually a large amount of visitors per second even. This makes sure that it stays cool.

Object caching with redis is already setup (I also tried the sqlite object cache plugin which works well). Page caching with nginx fastcgi is also configured, along with a small snippet to clear the cache on certain events and also after 7 days. Cloudflare caches html on top of it. And overall this setup works great most of the time...until it inexplicably doesn't. Sometimes the server struggles to serve static assets like images which baffles my mind. Even if I lived in Australia and the server is in the US, I shouldn't have to wait 10+ seconds for the server to send a 50KB image when CPU and memory usage are 5% and 30% of the threshold values.

• emghemgh Member

@deedeemegadoodoo said: Cloudflare caches html on top of it. And overall this setup works great most of the time...until it inexplicably doesn't. Sometimes the server struggles to serve static assets like images which baffles my mind.

This isn't getting cached? Or even struggles to serve it once per page and cache life?

• @emgh said:

@deedeemegadoodoo said: Cloudflare caches html on top of it. And overall this setup works great most of the time...until it inexplicably doesn't. Sometimes the server struggles to serve static assets like images which baffles my mind.

This isn't getting cached? Or even struggles to serve it once per page and cache life?

If it's cached by Cloudflare, there's no problem. If not cached by Cloudflare, it's still usually fine but sometimes it's not and takes very long to load. Basically the issue is intermittent at origin server.

• v8200t5v8200t5 Member
    edited January 31

How do you even measure things like that to make sure this happens for other visitors as well?

I've been using BetterStack, StatusCake, etc. to compare providers in general but I never looked at the detail level of a single image!?

• emghemgh Member

@deedeemegadoodoo said:

@emgh said:

If it's cached by Cloudflare, there's no problem. If not cached by Cloudflare, it's still usually fine but sometimes it's not and takes very long to load. Basically the issue is intermittent at origin server.

And what resource is maxing out at those times?

• @emgh said:

@bgerard said:

@deedeemegadoodoo said:

@ahnlak said:

Yeah, it's not an optimal solution for sure. The site will probably updated once a year if that so it's a small price to pay in this case. Probably should be a static site but it needs updating by a non technical user so...

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@bgerard said:

@emgh said:

@bgerard said:

@deedeemegadoodoo said:

@ahnlak said:

Yeah, it's not an optimal solution for sure. The site will probably updated once a year if that so it's a small price to pay in this case. Probably should be a static site but it needs updating by a non technical user so...

If it’s once a year, dosen’t really matter

• @v8200t5 said:
    How do you even measure things like that to make sure this happens for other visitors as well?

I've been using BetterStack, StatusCake, etc. to compare providers in general but I never looked at the detail level of a single image!?

I just check on my PC in Chrome's guest mode (disable cache in dev tools and watch the waterfalls for all assets) after clearing all cache from Cloudflare and fastcgi cache from server, once through Cloudflare proxy and another with Cloudflare development mode enabled. 80-90% of the time the site is fine. Everything loads as it should. But sometimes it will keep spinning forever. I check server's resource usage through htop at the same time and it's all good, no major spikes anywhere. It has become impossible to troubleshoot.

Thanked by 1v8200t5
  • v8200t5v8200t5 Member
    edited January 31

@bgerard said:
    The site will probably updated once a year if that so it's a small price to pay in this case. Probably should be a static site but it needs updating by a non technical user so...

For use cases like this I have begun to experiment with the "Simply Static" WordPress plugin last year. My trial setup is like this: I have a multisite WordPress installation where non technical users can edit their sites as usual and then after edits have been made you have the following choices:
    Deploy to Amazon AWS S3
    Deploy to BunnyCDN
    Deploy to Cloudflare Pages
    Deploy to Digital Ocean Spaces
    Deploy to GitHub Pages
    Deploy to Kinsta Static Site Hosting
    Deploy to Netlify

What intrigued me about this is that you basically just need one server which you can secure even better against hacking attempts and then the hosting for the actual sites becomes free because most of these providers charge nothing or just a few cents.

There are integrations for the mentioned providers but if you have a site that is only updated once a year you can choose any static hosting provider because it's not a lot of work to publish it or you can work some automation out through GitHub.

I'm very curious what you as advantaged users think of this setup in terms of performance, etc.

• @v8200t5 said:

@bgerard said:
    The site will probably updated once a year if that so it's a small price to pay in this case. Probably should be a static site but it needs updating by a non technical user so...

For use cases like this I have begun to experiment with the "Simply Static" WordPress plugin last year. My trial setup is like this: I have a multisite WordPress installation where non technical users can edit their sites as usual and then after edits have been made you have the following choices:
    Deploy to Amazon AWS S3
    Deploy to BunnyCDN
    Deploy to Cloudflare Pages
    Deploy to Digital Ocean Spaces
    Deploy to GitHub Pages
    Deploy to Kinsta Static Site Hosting
    Deploy to Netlify

What intrigued me about this is that you basically just need one server which you can secure even better against hacking attempts and then the hosting for the actual sites becomes free because most of these providers charge nothing or just a few cents.

There are integrations for the mentioned providers but if you have a site that is only updated once a year you can choose any static hosting provider because it's not a lot of work to publish it or you can work some automation out through GitHub.

I'm very curious what you as advantaged users think of this setup in terms of performance, etc.

This looks really interesting and could be perfect for my use case. Static sites served directly from a cdn is always going to be quicker than hitting WordPress itself, it'll be interesting to see how the forms plugin works.

• For 5/M there are many options, Hetzner, Netcup, Contabo

For Wordpress on LAMP I suggest the Wordops stack. Really easy to install and manage.

https://wordops.net/

• @hyperblast said:

@layer7 said:

@deedeemegadoodoo said:
    I am looking for a cheap and reliable VPS in the US/UK/EU to host a few WordPress sites with very little traffic on LEMP.

1 or 2 CPU cores (shouldn't be extremely old)
    2GB memory
    20-50GB SSD storage
    50-100GB monthly bandwidth
    Should have excellent connectivity with Cloudflare POPs and no network congestion

Nice to have but not mandatory: IPv4 address, custom ISO, DDoS protection, backups/snapshots

I want my sites to load reliably and consistently at all times. I don't need Ryzen 80000 Giga XL cores or 1000gbps networks.

Hi,

https://layer7.net/cloud-server

( Choose France-Paris or Germany-Frankfurt ) -- while germany has a better network in general

=> Mid CPU Cloud Server

For you:

Cloud Server - Mid CPU 2Cores-8GB-80GB FRA1

2x Intel CPU Cores
    8 GB RAM
    80 GB NVMe Disk space
    20 TB Traffic incl. per month
    KVM / ISO mount
    Linux/Windows/BSD OS ready
    up/downgrades through UI
    incl. 5 Snapshots
    incl. 1 Backupslot
    Location Germany - Frankfurt

= 3,99 EUR / month or 7,53 EUR / quater

So thats ~ 4 USD / month or 8 USD / quater

incl. Backup/Snapshot/IPv4

should be fine. At least it seems to meet your requirements pretty well.

hi.
    can you please yabs thisone: Cloud Server - Mid CPU 2Cores-8GB-80GB FRA1

@layer7 can you please yabs thisone: Cloud Server - Mid CPU 2Cores-8GB-80GB FRA1
    if yabs doesn't tell you anything yet, take a look here:
    https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script