Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.ru has broken DNSSEC, all domains may stop resolving - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.ru has broken DNSSEC, all domains may stop resolving

2»

Comments

• emghemgh Member

@totally_not_banned said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

@Mumbly said: Was .su affected as well?

.su is not affected.

After about 35 year of zombie status i highly doubt that anything will ever be able to bring .su down :D

They still offer .SU registrations, last I recall.

ICANN should force .SU to depreciate and be retired. The TLDs for Czechslovakia and Yugoslavia were withdrawn, and both those countries had outlasted the Soviet Union.

Don't be a party pooper. Besides after successfully resisting any kind of deprecation requests for 35 years i'd argue it's obviously immune to those anyways ;)

Now that Russia is the world's bad-boy, it would be an excellent time for ICANN to simply give .su a final date that it would be retired and removed from the root, without having to worry about much reprecussions.

Probably but it would but taking away what's likely the most crazy obscurity of the domain world would just make IT a little more boring while having about zero actual advantage ;)

Oh, there are still quite a few obscure TLDs. Great Britain has a bunch of islands and dependencies that each have their own TLD in the root. France has a few, too. Even the US used to have .UM for some uninhabited island in the Pacific and still has .PR for Puerto Rico.

Sure (the whole bunch around .re and friends, .fo or even just .io representing "Indian ocean territories", which is really administered by Australia i think) but none of these come close to some extension representing a union that has been defunct for over 30 years and to my best knowledge hardly witnessed the naming entities dissolution.

Niue have tried to make us return .nu for over 20 years now :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.nu

• edited January 30

@emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

After about 35 year of zombie status i highly doubt that anything will ever be able to bring .su down :D

ICANN should force .SU to depreciate and be retired. The TLDs for Czechslovakia and Yugoslavia were withdrawn, and both those countries had outlasted the Soviet Union.

Don't be a party pooper. Besides after successfully resisting any kind of deprecation requests for 35 years i'd argue it's obviously immune to those anyways ;)

Now that Russia is the world's bad-boy, it would be an excellent time for ICANN to simply give .su a final date that it would be retired and removed from the root, without having to worry about much reprecussions.

Probably but it would but taking away what's likely the most crazy obscurity of the domain world would just make IT a little more boring while having about zero actual advantage ;)

Oh, there are still quite a few obscure TLDs. Great Britain has a bunch of islands and dependencies that each have their own TLD in the root. France has a few, too. Even the US used to have .UM for some uninhabited island in the Pacific and still has .PR for Puerto Rico.

Sure (the whole bunch around .re and friends, .fo or even just .io representing "Indian ocean territories", which is really administered by Australia i think) but none of these come close to some extension representing a union that has been defunct for over 30 years and to my best knowledge hardly witnessed the naming entities dissolution.

Lol, i kind of knew that .nu was popular in Sweden but then i also thought i was some kind of Swedish island :D

I somewhat wonder how hard it would be to seek out some dormant extension and "do the necessary investigations before deciding to become the registry".

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited January 30

@emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Lol, i kind of knew that .nu was popular in Sweden but then i also thought i was some kind of Swedish island :D

Sadly Denmark got away with keeping most of them

• @emgh said:

@emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Sadly Denmark got away with keeping some of them

Those bastards!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Who is "us"?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • edited January 30

@JosephF said:

@emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Who is "us"?

Sweden (kind of obvious from the context, isn't it?). Admittedly technically probably not 100% accurate but oh well...

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@emgh said:

@emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Sadly Denmark got away with keeping some of them

Those bastards!

It’s not over yet.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned