Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.ru has broken DNSSEC, all domains may stop resolving
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.ru has broken DNSSEC, all domains may stop resolving

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited January 30 in Outages

Since about 1.5 hours there appears to be a DNSSEC issue with the .ru zone, so everyone using a validating resolver will have issues getting any domain to work.

In Russia just about everything has stopped working, including banks and such.

https://downdetector.su/

https://habr.com/ru/news/790188/

Thanked by 4_MS_ loay xaoc emgh

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 30

RIP

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

It all seems fine now.

Thanked by 1hucken
  • @MannDude said: It all seems fine now.

Kinda doubt - seems like your thing does not verify the signatures?

; <<>> DiG 9.18.19-1~deb12u1-Debian <<>> mail.ru @1.1.1.1
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 60129
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
    ; EDE: 6 (DNSSEC Bogus): (failed to verify signatures for mail.ru. opt-out proof: using DNSKEY ids = [52263])

; <<>> DiG 9.18.19-1~deb12u1-Debian <<>> mail.ru @8.8.8.8
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 39483
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
    ; EDE: 6 (DNSSEC Bogus): (RRSIG with malformed signature found for j20c0qkdhua3cumnkst289ff06u2sq91.ru/nsec3 (keytag=52263))

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 30

@rm_ said: Since about 1.5 hours there appears to be a DNSSEC issue with the .ru zone

Was .su affected as well?
    (seems okay this moment)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Mumbly said: Was .su affected as well?

.su is not affected.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • _MS__MS_ Member

• @rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

After about 35 year of zombie status i highly doubt that anything will ever be able to bring .su down :D

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 30

• @totally_not_banned said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

After about 35 year of zombie status i highly doubt that anything will ever be able to bring .su down :D

They still offer .SU registrations, last I recall.

ICANN should force .SU to depreciate and be retired. The TLDs for Czechslovakia and Yugoslavia were withdrawn, and both those countries had outlasted the Soviet Union.

Seems fixed as of a few minutes ago.

• @JosephF said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

ICANN should force .SU to depreciate and be retired. The TLDs for Czechslovakia and Yugoslavia were withdrawn, and both those countries had outlasted the Soviet Union.

Don't be a party pooper. Besides after successfully resisting any kind of deprecation requests for 35 years i'd argue it's obviously immune to those anyways ;)

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 30

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Don't be a party pooper. Besides after successfully resisting any kind of deprecation requests for 35 years i'd argue it's obviously immune to those anyways ;)

Now that Russia is the world's bad-boy, it would be an excellent time for ICANN to simply give .su a final date that it would be retired and removed from the root, without having to worry about much reprecussions.

• edited January 30

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Now that Russia is the world's bad-boy, it would be an excellent time for ICANN to simply give .su a final date that it would be retired and removed from the root, without having to worry about much reprecussions.

Probably but it would but taking away what's likely the most crazy obscurity of the domain world would just make IT a little more boring while having about zero actual advantage (especially in lights of the new TLDs basically having taken a dump on having some kind of well organized domain hierarchy anyways) ;)

Thanked by 1Mumbly

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Probably but it would but taking away what's likely the most crazy obscurity of the domain world would just make IT a little more boring while having about zero actual advantage ;)

Oh, there are still quite a few obscure TLDs. Great Britain has a bunch of islands and dependencies that each have their own TLD in the root. France has a few, too. Even the US used to have .UM for some uninhabited island in the Pacific and still has .PR for Puerto Rico.

@JosephF said: and still has .PR for Puerto Rico.

Don't you think pulling that would be a bad PR?

• edited January 30

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Probably but it would but taking away what's likely the most crazy obscurity of the domain world would just make IT a little more boring while having about zero actual advantage ;)

Oh, there are still quite a few obscure TLDs. Great Britain has a bunch of islands and dependencies that each have their own TLD in the root. France has a few, too. Even the US used to have .UM for some uninhabited island in the Pacific and still has .PR for Puerto Rico.

Sure (the whole bunch around .re and friends, .fo or even just .io representing "Indian ocean territories", which is really administered by Australia i think) but none of these come close to some extension representing a union that has been defunct for over 30 years and to my best knowledge hardly witnessed the naming entities dissolution.

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Sure but none of these come close to some extension representing a union that has been defunct for over 30 years and to my best knowledge hardly witnessed the naming entities dissolution.

There's still a few other virtually uninhabited islands with their own TLD. Heck, even Antarctica has one at .aq !

• edited January 30

@rm_ said:

@JosephF said: and still has .PR for Puerto Rico.

Don't you think pulling that would be a bad PR?

It's plainly obvious that whoever is administering it doesn't care about domain peanuts otherwise it would have long gone the way of .tv/.fm or even the incredible failure that was/is .ws.

• edited January 30

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Sure but none of these come close to some extension representing a union that has been defunct for over 30 years and to my best knowledge hardly witnessed the naming entities dissolution.

There's still a few other virtually uninhabited islands with their own TLD. Heck, even Antarctica has one at .aq !

Yeah but these all actually exist. Not to mention the historical relevance of the Soviet Union. Beyond Antarctica these are all places noone has ever heard of.

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Yeah but these all actually exist. Not to mention the historical relevance of the Soviet Union. Beyond Antarctica these are all places noone has ever heard of.

Yeah, you can definitely say that these areas exists, albeit with a zero population:

.bv - Bouvetøya
    .gs - South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
    .hm - Heard Island and McDonald Islands

• edited January 30

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@rm_ said:

.su is not affected.

Yeah, you can definitely say that these areas exists, albeit with a zero population:

.bv - Bouvetøya
    .gs - South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
    .hm - Heard Island and McDonald Islands

Interesting. .bv is actually a new one for me. These would probably sell like hot cakes in the Nederlands (and maybe Belgium - i'm not really sure but i guess at least the flemish part is bound to have a similar name for limited companies).

• xaocxaoc Member

.su is an insult to all of Soviet Union's victims. Only them ruzzians want it alive, the rest of us want it buried.

• @xaoc said:
    .su is an insult to all of Soviet Union's victims. Only them ruzzians want it alive, the rest of us want it buried.

It doesn't seem to be much popular in Russia, either.

• @xaoc said:

Yeah, besides about 90% of the planets population being unlikely to give a shit either way that's obviously true.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@xaoc said:

However I find such short TLDs pretty useful for domain "hacks"

• edited January 30

@JosephF said:

@xaoc said:

It doesn't seem to be much popular in Russia, either.

Yeah and why would it? It's a vanity extension that makes no real sense. Even if some company would service exactly the area that used to make up the Soviet Union (highly unlikely to begin with) it would still be a pretty weird choice leaving people having a laugh, looking for a short domain and a handful of soviet nostalgics as target audience. That's probably not a whole lot but from what i hear at least a couple years back it seemed to be kind of the extension of choice for carding boards, go figure...

• xaocxaoc Member

@tentor said:

@xaoc said:

I'd rather not hand a copy of my ID to ruzzians, especially when there are lots of other short TLDs that don't require that.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@xaoc said:

@tentor said:

@xaoc said:

I'd rather not hand a copy of my ID to ruzzians, especially when there are lots of other short TLDs that don't require that.

Did they enforced this requirement? Few years back they seemed to accept any random information. And yes, there are indeed lots of alternative options :)

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @xaoc said:

@tentor said:

@xaoc said:

From what i hear this practice isn't taken overly serious. Things might have changed though.

• xaocxaoc Member

@tentor said:

@xaoc said:

@tentor said:

@xaoc said:

Did they enforced this requirement? Few years back they seemed to accept any random information. And yes, there are indeed lots of alternative options :)

Sorry, I have no information regarding enforcement.