Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is LET hosted on a dedicated server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is LET hosted on a dedicated server?

2»

Comments

• @r3k said:

@concept said:
    If its hosted on Digital Ocean, LET is no longer low end talk, its now Premium talk.

Petition to change name low end talk > high end talk.

Guess that's a compromise. LET hosted on a high end server to accommodate hell lot of low end talks.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited January 28

@noob404 said:

@jbiloh said:
    DO premium CPU optimized container for LowEndTalk. During BF/CM we use the 32 thread option and during other parts of the year it is the 8 or 16 depending on load.

Thanks for that. What's the memory like and sorry for a noob question, but, does RAM matter as much as cores/threads?

Memory for these plans are twice the number of CPUs. 16G for 8 CPU, 32 for 16, and so on.
    Actual memory usage would be a nice stat to have, personally I have no clue what that's like for a VanillaForum.

But this 2:1 ratio (2G RAM for 1 CPU) is very popular for web hosting.

Generally for a given application you size the memory according to the number of CPUs, and the number of CPUs on the per-core performance of the application.
    For example, if your app uses 4G memory per CPU (100% utilization) and can serve 1000 concurrent users, then you need to provision a 4 CPU / 16G RAM server to handle 4000 concurrent users.

Edited: basic math 🫣

Pavin.

Thanked by 1noob404
  • @mailcheap said:

@noob404 said:

@jbiloh said:
    DO premium CPU optimized container for LowEndTalk. During BF/CM we use the 32 thread option and during other parts of the year it is the 8 or 16 depending on load.

Thanks for that. What's the memory like and sorry for a noob question, but, does RAM matter as much as cores/threads?

Memory for these plans are twice the number of CPUs. 16G for 8 CPU, 32 for 16, and so on.
    Actual memory usage would be a nice stat to have, personally I have no clue what that's like for a VanillaForum.

But this 2:1 ratio (2G RAM for 1 CPU) is very popular for web hosting.

Generally for a given application you size the memory according to the number of CPUs, and the number of CPUs on the per-core performance of the application.
    For example, if your app uses 4G memory per CPU (100% utilization) and can serve 1000 concurrent users, then you need to provision an 8 CPU / 32G RAM server to handle 4000 concurrent users.

Pavin.

Thanks a lot for this. I will keep this in mind.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

I was hoping for a fleet of LE servers with some cool clustering, but this is so vanilla.

No need to involucrate me, I'll show myself out 🙃

Pavin.

• @mailcheap said:

@jbiloh said:

I was hoping for a fleet of LE servers with some cool clustering, but this is so vanilla.

No need to involucrate me, I'll show myself out 🙃

Pavin.

LOL! Woulda been cool, but, as jb said, since they temporarily upgrade cores during special periods, I guess something like Premium DO is the best option.

• edited January 28

@noob404 said:

When can we expect 404talk?

(404talk.com still available as we speak - grab it now before someone else does!)

• @totally_not_banned said:

@noob404 said:

When can we expect 404talk?

Nope. Was asking most of this for curiosity. Do run a simple non-hosting related forum on shared hosting. Don't think it will ever have to be upscaled to the level of LET.

• it's on a galaxy near pluto in a lot of cloud

• @chiccorosso said:
    it's on a galaxy near pluto in a lot of cloud

Is there a Plutonian provider here providing the service and accepting payments in PayPal.

Thanked by 1chiccorosso
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 28

How can anyone research which web hosting provider any particular website is using? (Asking generally, not regarding any specific site.)

• @JosephF said:
    How can anyone research which web hosting provider any particular website is using? (Asking generally, not regarding any specific site.)

You generally have to ask these days, since most are using a reverse proxy, it will show the reverse proxy host. You can sometimes find clues in DNS history.

• @Naomii said:

@JosephF said:

You generally have to ask these days, since most are using a reverse proxy, it will show the reverse proxy host. You can sometimes find clues in DNS history.

Where can you review the DNS history?

And if they aren't using a reverse proxy, how can you then see why their host is?

• @JosephF said:

And if they aren't using a reverse proxy, how can you then see why their host is?

https://dnsdumpster.com

It used to be that the nameservers gave it away, but those can be whitelabelled too.

Thanked by 2tjn COLBYLICIOUS
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 29

@Naomii said:

@JosephF said:

https://dnsdumpster.com

It used to be that the nameservers gave it away, but those can be whitelabelled too.

Was the NS the main giveaway, historically? It was common already long ago to use third-party NS, unaffiliated with your hosting provider.

I would have thought that traceroute, nslookup and WHOIS of IP addresses were, at least at one time, better indicators.

Thanked by 1tjn
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 29

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 29

• @totally_not_banned said:
    Decidated potato toaster.

with autoboot

• SvenskenSvensken Member

MS said:
    In all seriousness, here.
    Network is fast, my man. That's why LET chose this host.

I really needed that laugh.. whoever is responsible for that beauty deserves an actual tonguekiss

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • Petition to move from digital ocean to oplink

• @Headfirst said:
    Petition to move from digital ocean to oplink

My guess is that in an effort to try and stay professional/unbiased they don't use LET providers, otherwise there could be conflicts of interest.

• JerryHouJerryHou Member

@r3k said:

@concept said:
    If its hosted on Digital Ocean, LET is no longer low end talk, its now Premium talk.

Petition to change name low end talk > high end talk.

high tech, low life. :smiley:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@concept said:

Nope, premium Low End Talk.

@noob404 said:

@jbiloh said:

Good question actually. Most people seem to think in CPU only (and preferredly Threadripper or Ryzen) but actually oftentimes memory is more important that is, weaker processor but lots of memory - is better than - stronger CPUs (or more cores) and less memory. Largely depends on application type (for web services it's largely as I said) as well as on architecture (e.g. multithreading vs coroutines or async/await).

Thanked by 1noob404
  • noob404noob404 Member

@jsg said:

@concept said:

Nope, premium Low End Talk.

@noob404 said:

@jbiloh said:

Good question actually. Most people seem to think in CPU only (and preferredly Threadripper or Ryzen) but actually oftentimes memory is more important that is, weaker processor but lots of memory - is better than - stronger CPUs (or more cores) and less memory. Largely depends on application type (for web services it's largely as I said) as well as on architecture (e.g. multithreading vs coroutines or async/await).

Thanks for that input. But, I guess the CPU cores actually do matter when it comes to concurrency. For eg:- running Apache benchmark while consequentially increasing the concurrency, I have seen my test system's core usage hit 100% while the RAM's usually at 50%.

But, you are right. It all comes down to the application type and it's demands.

It's unfortunate that there isn't a single simple tool that informs people of recommended VPS specs for atleast some popular applications. There are blogs talking about it but they always talk in extremes.

• 1q11q1 Member

@jbiloh said:

how about load balancing across multiple top hosts lowend providers?