Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is LET hosted on a dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is LET hosted on a dedicated server?

I was just curious as to the requirements of a forum like LET. Tried searching on the web to see if this has been asked before. Couldn't find anything. Maybe I didn't know the correct keywords to search.

Anyways, would be great if someone could clarify regarding specs of a machine required to run a forum like LET.

Thanked by 1mailcheap

Comments

• @totally_not_banned said:
    Decidated potato toaster.

Makes sense. LET = Low End Toaster.

Okay, so for everyone that might have the same confusion, when I said LET, I meant lowendtalk.com

Thanked by 1niknar1900

Ubisoft: what?

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@noob404 said:
    I was just curious as to the requirements of a forum like LET. Tried searching on the web to see if this has been asked before. Couldn't find anything. Maybe I didn't know the correct keywords to search.

Anyways, would be great if someone could clarify regarding specs of a machine required to run a forum like LET.

If well optimized, you can host it on a VM as well. You don't really need a bare metal.

• With how much they get from patron fees and the traffic this place gets I'd hope they are running it on a dedicated server with a 10 Gbps pipe. A VPS would easily run into AUP (acceptable usage policy) issues.

• @noob404 said:

@totally_not_banned said:

Okay, so for everyone that might have the same confusion, when I said LET, I meant lowendtalk.com

Well, joking aside, the actual resources needed to run some web application very much depend on a lot of factors besides the actual traffic. Some scripts will run on almost anything while serving 1000's of users while others basically need a grid of supercomputers and their own submarine cable.

• @Andreix said:

@noob404 said:

If well optimized, you can host it on a VM as well. You don't really need a bare metal.

Thank you. What should be the actual specs of the system? And by optimisation, do you mean Linux optimisation or the webserver optimisation in terms of caching and stuff?

@noob404 said:

Well, joking aside, the actual resources needed to run some web application very much depend on a lot of factors besides the actual traffic. Some scripts will run on almost anything while serving 1000's of users while others basically need a grid of supercomputers and their own submarine cable.

Yah. I am aware. That's where the curiosity arises from. What specs would a forum like LET require on the minimum?

• edited January 27

@noob404 said:

@noob404 said:

Yah. I am aware. That's where the curiosity arises from. What specs would a forum like LET require on the minimum?

Maybe someone with some hands on experience will chime in but it's hard to say in a generalized way how much resources exactly LET (aka some likely customized and not 100% current version of Vanilla) needs. The actual activity doesn't seem so bad and i'd think a modest VPS (lets say like 4GB RAM and 2-4 vCores of some halfway powerful and not badly oversold CPU - more resources obviously won't hurt either) would likely suffice (even if a VDS would probably be the better fit) but it's hard to gauge how much non-loggedin traffic hits the site and how much of this is offset by cloudflare caching.

Thanked by 1noob404

@noob404 said:

@noob404 said:

Maybe someone with some hands on experience will chime in but it's hard to say in a generalized way how much resources exactly LET (aka some likely customized and not 100% current version of Vanilla) needs. The actual activity doesn't seem so bad and i'd think a modest VPS would likely suffice but it's hard to gauge how much non-loggedin traffic hits the site and how much of this is offset by cloudflare caching.

True. I was hoping some staff member would help clarify. Anyways, this question was mostly out of curiosity and I am pretty sure, atleast a few members have always wondered.

Funny incident - I recently had a project to host. Gave detailed requirements to GoDaddy support (script language, concurrency, etc.). They recommended 16GB, 4 cores VPS and said it was better to go for 32GB. Took it with a bucket of salt, setup a VM on my local machine, ran Apache benchmark and monitored the resource usage. Based on those results, went with a RackNerd 2GB/2vCore VPS, and guess what, the website's running fine.

• dosaidosai Member

Digitalocean droplet iirc.

• _MS__MS_ Member

Cluster™

• @dosai said:
    Digitalocean droplet iirc.

Any idea about the exact specs?

• Hosted from a basement in Romania, what hardware is anyones guess

• LET is hosted on one vm cluster. That why search is so fast man.

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

IBM Mainframe (LowEnd Version Of course)

• SillyGooseSillyGoose Member
    edited January 27

Well Jon has a private contact with me, so I host his website (LET,LEB) on my nasa pc from 1900s,

It has idk some weird cpu, 4096kb of ram and 1mb of hard disk storage, it works fast with my 500kbps network

• Ig, there's no way to tell what specs would be required anyways.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Pretty sure it is or was on some Digital Ocean VMs. I think @jbiloh commented on it in the past somewhere.

Thanked by 2noob404 jsg
  • LeviLevi Member

Isn't it all on colonus crossing?

• _MS__MS_ Member

In all seriousness, here.
    Network is fast, my man. That's why LET chose this host.

Thanked by 2alincupunct Svensken
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Yes, like @dosai and @MannDude have mentioned, it’s DO, as far as I know too.

Thanked by 2noob404 jsg
  • Now, even I am curious. Would be nice if some admin mentions the exact specs of the VPS/dedicated server on which LET is hosted and the avg CPU & memory usage.

• LowEndSpecs hosted on a OpenVz container with 64mb ram and 1 vCore with 600mb disk. With the necessary optimizations obviously.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

DO premium CPU optimized container for LowEndTalk. During BF/CM we use the 32 thread option and during other parts of the year it is the 8 or 16 depending on load.

• If its hosted on Digital Ocean, LET is no longer low end talk, its now Premium talk.

• @jbiloh said:
    DO premium CPU optimized container for LowEndTalk. During BF/CM we use the 32 thread option and during other parts of the year it is the 8 or 16 depending on load.

Thanks for that. What's the memory like and sorry for a noob question, but, does RAM matter as much as cores/threads?

• @DP said:
    Yes, like @dosai and @MannDude have mentioned, it’s DO, as far as I know too.

Thanks. Jb also confirmed it.

• r3kr3k Member

@concept said:
    If its hosted on Digital Ocean, LET is no longer low end talk, its now Premium talk.

Petition to change name low end talk > high end talk.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @r3k said:

@concept said:
    If its hosted on Digital Ocean, LET is no longer low end talk, its now Premium talk.

Petition to change name low end talk > high end talk.

There was actually a high end talk forum some time back but it never ended up taking off unfortunately