Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wireguard vpn on 128mb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

wireguard vpn on 128mb

This discussion was created from comments split from: why there are providers who have 512m memory VPS?.

Comments

• @titus said:
    I have many "small resources'" VPS with 512MB & 256MB RAM (+ 2x 128MB RAM :P) and i'm happy with them. :) It's perfectly enough for a lot of task. For example: VPN, IRC related processes, simple static websites, etc. There is many other process and solution than wordpress.

i never success to make wireguard vpn on 128mb and i have another 256mb NAT, can you show me how to tunning it to install wireguard?

• @argado said:
    i never success to make wireguard vpn on 128mb

What kind of error are you facing?

• wireguard-go can run just fine with 128mb ram, on openvz vps.

https://d.sb/2019/07/wireguard-on-openvz-lxc

• @ScreenReader said:
    wireguard-go can run just fine with 128mb ram, on openvz vps.

https://d.sb/2019/07/wireguard-on-openvz-lxc

I'm pretty sure it'll work on KVM too but OP rather spent his time asking the same question in like 5 threads than to actually specify what's erroring out on him.

• SwordfishBESwordfishBE Member
    edited January 24

@Nyr 's script works for me on a 64mb (with swap) debian 11 ovz and 128mb (no swap) debian 12 ovz: https://github.com/Nyr/wireguard-install

(uses BoringTun on ovz and lxc)

You also have: https://github.com/hwdsl2/wireguard-install

Thanked by 1MrH
  • Playing with 128MB RAM is always fun, with bloody pain though. Even a 64-bit binary compiled from Golang can hardly fit into such tiny box, but luckily, we still have Monoose to serve the Internet.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 24

I have a 64MB MicroNode container running WireGuard with boringtun-cli userspace implementation.
    The OS template is Ubuntu 22.04 with non-essential services disabled.
    This does come with some swap, which is needed during APT upgrade, but not during normal operation.

root@mnu-1699503098:~# free -m
                   total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:              64          11          29           0       22          52
    Swap:            256          10         245

root@mnu-1699503098:~# ps u 249
    USER         PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START  TIME COMMAND
    root         249  0.0  0.0 279976     0 ?        Sl   Jan21  1:33 /usr/local/bin/boringtun-cli wg0

I have a 128MB microLXC container running WireGuard kernel module configured via Netplan.io, which is more efficient at runtime.
    The OS template is Ubuntu 22.04 with no customization.
    The same server runs Caddy, a 64-bit Go program, as reverse proxy.
    It does take up 15MB of memory, but that only accounts for a small portion of the available RAM.

root@ulx-sin:~# free -m                                 
                   total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:             122          48          49           0      23          73
    Swap:              0           0           0

root@ulx-sin:~# ps u 190
    USER         PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START  TIME COMMAND
    caddy        190  0.0 12.1 1268424 15176 ?       Ssl  Jan15  0:56 /usr/bin/caddy run --environ --config /etc/caddy/Cadd

Thanked by 2_MS_ MrH
  • yusrayusra Member

@argado said: i never success to make wireguard vpn on 128mb and i have another 256mb NAT

You may encounter kernel not supporting Wireguard because in Nat services, providers usually heavily trim the kernel modules and your only hope maybe running Wireguard in userspace.