Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why there are providers who have 512m memory VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am afraid even for a latest wordpress (php8, mysql8, ubuntu 20.0), it can't be run by a 512m vps. so releasing this kind of product just for test?

Comments

• And, in my use case, postgresql running under this memory will die as soon as possible.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Mate, this forum started around the idea that you can run shit on 64MB of RAM, so you’ll find there are plenty of folks who enjoy the challenge of doing more with less.

Most of my VPS are 256MB or less.

Why the fuck are you running Ubuntu on a Wordpress server.

• There are other uses then Wordpress. I've run many projects on 512MB RAM without any issues.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2022

Just wait til you hear about the 32mb, 64mb and 128mb VPS that were common 10 years ago

One of our first offers on LEB was 128mb ram, 5GB disk.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/fanatical-vps-5-128mb-openvz-vps-in-germany/

Thanked by 2Chuck farsighter
  • I started my ShoutCast hosting service with 128MB VPS from Hostigation.

• @jackb said: One of our first offers on LEB was 128mb ram, 5GB disk.

that's amazing.
    now with $5 I can get 4G/2core/50G as the usual specs.

• exactly. 2GB DDR4 ECC is the new LE.

• miaumiau Member

This kind of question belongs in Quora not here

• In any case, this thread doesn't look like Tutorials

• SPSP Member

@frakass said:
    that's amazing.
    now with $5 I can get 4G/2core/50G as the usual specs.

Sure, and it comes with all you can eat CPU steal. Oh, and don't bother writing into support, they only reply on February 29th.

• They are not meant to run Wordpress.
    I have several 128 and 256MB vps's, and they do exactly what they are meant to do and perform flawlessly.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

They’re popular actually. I sell out of them first

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • I use a dirty cheap VPS with 512MB from FirstRoot with just two things: Uptime Kuma to monitor my web apps, and Healthchecks to monitor cron jobs (all stuff on another server with another provider - Hetzner - of course).

• VoidVoid Member

@frakass said:
    I am afraid even for a latest wordpress (php8, mysql8, ubuntu 20.0), it can't be run by a 512m vps. so releasing this kind of product just for test?

Because Wordpress isn’t the only thing people use servers for.

• Do some MySQL tuning and 512 will be plenty.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

It's almost definitely possible to get WordPress running in that environment, LEB was originally running on a few hundred megabytes of memory.

But, outside of WordPress, I could get a ton of use out of a 512M vps, such as a VPN, monitoring scripts such as Uptime Kuma, NTP server, and running a lot of well made apps in general tbh (Used to run a TeamSpeak music bot on a similar service back in the day).

I think the criticism here should be on how messy WordPress is rather than on the small resources of VPSes.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@LordSpock said:

I think the criticism here should be on how messy WordPress is rather than on the small resources of VPSes.

Fucking millennials. Don’t know they’re born.

Thanked by 2Lee LordSpock
  • you can use it for a lot of little things but in reality it's just a waste of money. people who have 512m vps probably have ten other tiny vps. Some people like to eat multiple 99 cent burgers while others just go to a steak house.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mosquitoguy said:
    Some people like to eat multiple 99 cent burgers while others just go to a steak house.

Awful analogy. 0 points.

• 64 MB is actually quite usable in OVZ boxes if you run an Alpine base image and use it like a Docker container with a microservice.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

When we ran one of the first shared hosting services in the US, we used a Burst.net Celeron with 512 MB of RAM:) Where are you, the days of Netscape:)

• I'm assuming you don't know Alpine Linux? And servers with lower specs are ideal for smaller workloads. Who in the right mind would run WordPress and Postgres on a machine spec this low?

• There was a time when 512mb vps was more than enough & 1 GB ram vps was in the wishlist.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • vbavba Member
    edited April 2022

for cronjob, bot, port forwarding and many more

• s/wordpress/pico|grav|jekyll

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Memory limits are for weaklings.
    I allow every LXC container to use as much memory as it needs, without any artificial limitation.
    @Not_Oles provider does the same and it's fast as metal.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@frakass asked:

Because many people are not capable to run e.g. a server on 256K or even on 128K. Hell, I've seen people say that they do not even look at offers with less than 1 GB.

• 128-256mb is more than enuff when you program your own services/sites

Thanked by 1devp
  • @duckeeyuck said:
    128-256mb is more than enuff when you program your own services/sites

logstash is developed by ruby. when it gets started, 1G memory should have been consumed out.

• my apps for dev/test purposes include:
    1. hiveserver2: at least 2g memory needed
    2. drill: at least 4g memory needed
    3. spark: at least 4g memory needed, the minimum file I throw into spark is 3g around
    4. postgresql: the minimum 2g memory needed for my app
    5. ELK: the minimum 2g required
    6. kafka: the min 2g required

And some others I didn't count in.

This discussion has been closed.