Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gen.xyz similar?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

gen.xyz similar?

Hi everyone.
I was wondering is there something similar to gen.xyz for 10 years for less than €1 per year with whois protection?
I don't care if the domain is numeric.

Comments

• @ototos said:
    Hi everyone.
    I was wondering is there something similar to gen.xyz for 10 years for less than €1 per year with whois protection?

There's probably a couple of countries running similar 3rd level domains for private usage (there's probably even some offering 2nd level) for cheap/free but all of those will likely be tied to being a resident of those places, which might or might not be arrangeable. The bigger problem you'd face is likely finding any of those being supported by a registrar, which on top of that also offers whois privacy.

I think you might be better off looking for one of those dynamic DNS services and abuse them by simply setting a static IP. You'll obviously have no official agreement then but i figure it's as good as it gets. Your only other option would be to wait for some promo that'll let you pay for more that one year. There's certainly people who have gotten regular domains for 10 years at mere dollars.

• VoidVoid Member

@ototos said:
    Hi everyone.

You can simply use namecheap or spaceship to register numeric xyz domains and renew them at the same price

• HakimHakim Member

About 2–3 years ago, I got .eu for 10 years at 10 Euro. The offer was for a limited time, unfortunately.

• @totally_not_banned said:

I think you might be better off looking for one of those dynamic DNS services and abuse them by simply setting a static IP. You'll obviously have no official agreement then but i figure it's as good as it gets.

How is this abusive?

And how does such a setup even achieve what the OP is seeking?

Your only other option would be to wait for some promo that'll let you pay for more that one year. There's certainly people who have gotten regular domains for 10 years at mere dollars.

What are previous examples of such promos?

• edited January 23

@JosephF said:

@totally_not_banned said:

I think you might be better off looking for one of those dynamic DNS services and abuse them by simply setting a static IP. You'll obviously have no official agreement then but i figure it's as good as it gets.

How is this abusive?

It's "abusive" ;)

It's a domain and there is no whois?

Your only other option would be to wait for some promo that'll let you pay for more that one year. There's certainly people who have gotten regular domains for 10 years at mere dollars.

What are previous examples of such promos?

Pheew, it's been some years but as far as i remember at least a couple of those promos where done by Porkbun when they were relatively new. Another example is the poster right above you. Probably no whois privacy on .eu though.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 23

@JosephF said:

I guess I'm not understanding this. How is a dynamic DNS service giving you a domain name?

• edited January 23

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

I guess I'm not understanding this. How is a dynamic DNS service giving you a domain name?

It resolves? What else does a domain really do? It doesn't seem like he's looking to create a brand or whatever after all. Something like afraid.org also has a ton of choice (even if it's probably best to stick to the handful of domains that have been on there for a really long time and therefore are unlikely to disappear over night - like i've said initially there being not much of a guarantee is the major drawback with such services).

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

It resolves? What else does a domain really do? It doesn't seem like he's looking to create a brand or whatever after all. Something like afraid.org also has a ton of choice (even if it's probably best to stick to the handful of domains that have been on there for a really long time and therefore are unlikely to disappear over night - like i've said initially there being not much of a guarantee is the major drawback with such services).

These services offer free third level domains? That makes sense. Who offers third level domains, other than afraid.org?

• edited January 23

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

These services offer free third level domains? That makes sense. Who offers third level domains, other than afraid.org?

Pheew. There's likely dozens and dozens of bigger and smaller operations. Dyn.com probably being one of the biggest and having been around for ~20 years easily (if i'm not mistaking them for another company). I'm not sure if they are still free though. There is also noip.com which has easily been around for the same time if not even longer and from what i get is still free. Ddns.net is another old one.

Just google around a bit. The smaller ops are somewhat hard to locate but there is literally tons. I've used https://netlib.re/ in the past for example but i think the last time i've tried getting a domain for testing their site was broken. https://dynv6.com/ is another newer (and pretty pleasant - they don't try to upsell you all the time because they don't sell anything anyways lol) service that i've used and still works afaik.

There is a list here (even if i don't think it's very up to date): https://github.com/stamparm/maltrail/blob/master/trails/static/suspicious/dynamic_domain.txt

Thanked by 1pedala

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

Pheew. There's likely dozens and dozens of bigger and smaller operations. Dyn.com probably being one of the biggest and having been around for ~20 years easily (if i'm not mistaking them for another company). I'm not sure if they are still free though. There is also noip.com which has easily been around for the same time if not even longer and from what i get is still free. Ddns.net is another old one.

Just google around a bit. The smaller ops are somewhat hard to locate but there is literally tons. I've used https://netlib.re/ in the past for example but i think the last time i've tried getting a domain for testing their site was broken. https://dynv6.com/ is another newer (and pretty pleasant - they don't try to upsell you all the time because they don't sell anything anyways lol) service that i've used and still works afaik.

There is a list here (even if i don't think it's very up to date): https://github.com/stamparm/maltrail/blob/master/trails/static/suspicious/dynamic_domain.txt

Do any (or all) of these providers allow you to set up an NS record from the third level domain they issue to you, to point to an external DNS server of your choice? Or, if not, provide you with full DNS service for your third level domain?

• edited January 23

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

@JosephF said:

Do any (or all) of these providers allow you to set up an NS record from the third level domain they issue to you, to point to an external DNS server of your choice? Or, if not, provide you with full DNS service for your third level domain?

It depends but some pretty much allow full control over records (A, AAA, MX, TXT, NS, ...). I've never paid much attention but i think the last 2 i've mentioned and afraid.org were pretty liberal to what you could configure. Don't quote me on that though. Sign up with those is pretty painless anyways (all of them are non-profit and don't really want much besides an email address for signup - well, at least back when i used them that was the case).

Edit: Oh totally forgot, there is obviously also eu.org which will practically give you a free and fully capable 3rd level domain (that's actually the service they are offering) but signup is complicated and it never seemed worth the hassle to me. Extremely old and reliable though.

• It's not under 1EUR/year, but you can register a .stream domain from domain.com for $14.95 for 5 years.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 23

@CyberneticTitan said:
    It's not under 1EUR/year, but you can register a .stream domain from domain.com for $14.95 for 5 years.

Do you know of any other low-cost domains for multiple years?

• @JosephF said:

@CyberneticTitan said:
    It's not under 1EUR/year, but you can register a .stream domain from domain.com for $14.95 for 5 years.

You can probably check tld-list.com and others for the cheapest renewals.

• pp.ua?
    it's free

• I would have preferred to buy a domain than use that free stuff that suddenly doesn't work anymore.

I was interested in paying a little and associating a CDN, with many online DNS it is not possible to associate a CDN or in any case the domain name becomes too long, inconvenient in some circumstances.

At the moment no service offers a ten-year subscription with whois included?
    Porkburn, namecheap and others consider the numeric .xyz domain a premium domain, and must be renewed year after year.
    And I want to avoid this... I want to stay calm for the next few years...
    It could go up and I honestly don't feel like spending more than $1 a year.

• It's a shame that freenom died, he was the only one who was right for me...
    what a pain in the ass...

• @CyberneticTitan said:

@JosephF said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

You can probably check tld-list.com and others for the cheapest renewals.

there's no point in checking renewals, because next year anything could happen and the price would increase and if it's not next year it could be in two years.
    The problem always arises... (at least for me, which is why I was hoping for something very long-lasting)

• edited January 24

@ototos said:
    I would have preferred to buy a domain

Well, you could go for one of the paid 3rd level domains. The older ones are extremely stable. Besides that there's eu.org, which 100% isn't going anywhere any time soon having been around for like 30 years. Won't obviously be an overly pretty domain.

It's a shame that freenom died,

Freenom would have been pretty much the last thing i'd have trusted.

• edited January 24

@ototos said:
    there's no point in checking renewals, because next year anything could happen and the price would increase and if it's not next year it could be in two years.

Well, you could obviously renew for another 9 years straight after getting the domain, so price changes won't affect you anymore (well at least for the next 10 years that is).

• edited January 24

@ototos said:
    The problem always arises... (at least for me, which is why I was hoping for something very long-lasting)

Sorting by renewals means avoiding the first-year registration discounts on that site and being able to lock in a cheap price for multiple years.

@ototos said:

Well, you could go for one of the paid 3rd level domains. The older ones are extremely stable. Besides that there's eu.org, which 100% isn't going anywhere any time soon having been around for like 30 years. Won't obviously be an overly pretty domain.

It's a shame that freenom died,

Freenom would have been pretty much the last thing i'd have trusted.

I wish eu.org worked...
    I registered a domain in June and still no response.
    I recorded another one in September and still nothing.
    I recorded four in December and three more this month, still nothing...
    Obviously I tried with different IPs, with different emails, obviously given gifts but nothing...
    They take too long...

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned

@ototos said:

Well, you could obviously renew for another 9 years straight after getting the domain, so price changes won't affect you anymore (well at least for the next 10 years that is).

I hadn't thought about it... could something like that be done?

• ototosototos Member
    edited January 24

It's a shame that the first level ones on renewals, the first decent one starts from €2.90 ".top"..

• @ototos said:

@ototos said:

I hadn't thought about it... could something like that be done?

Sure that's pretty usual actually. Most domains are capped at 10 years but that's at least something after all.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 24

@ototos said:

Which third-level domain providers charge a fee for the domain? And why would anyone be interested in paying for that, rather than simply getting a second-level domain?

eu.org offers third level domains at no charge.

• edited January 24

@JosephF said:

@ototos said:

Which third-level domain providers charge a fee for the domain?

The older ones usually have paid plans. Not exactly my field of expertise but noip / dyns / dyndns probably have those. Sorry, it's been years and years and i always mix them up but i think it was noip that forced free plans login once per month even like 10-15 years back. You didn't like this you'd have to pay and i think the other big ones followed suit. Not that i've used any of those plans but they exist and OP said he'd prefer a paid service for better reliability (which kind of makes sense, a lot non profits come and go over night after all).

eu.org offers third level domains at no charge.

I had already suggested that but OP says they aren't processing his application.

Thanked by 1ototos
  • lewellynlewellyn Member
    edited January 25

@ototos said:
    I would have preferred to buy a domain than use that free stuff that suddenly doesn't work anymore.

I was interested in paying a little and associating a CDN, with many online DNS it is not possible to associate a CDN or in any case the domain name becomes too long, inconvenient in some circumstances.

Porkburn, namecheap and others consider the numeric .xyz domain a premium domain, and must be renewed year after year.

I am kind of confused here. You're saying that the domains listed as $1/year on https://gen.xyz/premiums aren't actually $1/year? Such as this one which is available at this moment, but would be unlucky to some https://gen.xyz/register?domain=000141.xyz

• @lewellyn said:

@ototos said:
    I would have preferred to buy a domain than use that free stuff that suddenly doesn't work anymore.

I am kind of confused here. You're saying that the domains listed as $1/year on https://gen.xyz/premiums aren't actually $1/year? Such as this one which is available at this moment, but would be unlucky to some https://gen.xyz/register?domain=000141.xyz

Six to nine digit, all numeric, .xyz domains are $0.99 per year. Including renewals.

https://gen.xyz/number

• @JosephF said:

@lewellyn said:

@ototos said:

Six to nine digit, all numeric, .xyz domains are $0.99 per year. Including renewals.

https://gen.xyz/number

Yeah. That's what I linked: the lowest-numbered 99c/year available at the moment of my post. But OP seems to be indicating that they can't actually get them at that price? Kind of confused by all of this, honestly. Well maybe not all of it, it's a good marketing ploy for .xyz to be able to get "i just need a domain, any domain" business.