Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naughty list?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Naughty list?

LexLex Member
edited January 19 in General

Can we get a public shame/naughty list, moderated just by the staff?

It should be a pinned/sticky discussion that contains all the providers/host reps who were permanently banned from accessing the forum/selling on the forum for breaking the rules. Either the general ones or those for providers/reps.

Entry example: "User: xxx, Company: yyy.com, Rule broken: zzz"

It would help people that don't have the time to lurk the forums thoroughly, follow every drama and find all the dirt on every provider that did the nasty.

What do you guys think?

Naughty list?
  1. Naughty list?56 votes
    1. Yes
      76.79%
    2. No
      23.21%

Comments

• dosaidosai Member

Billohbucks will bypass all such lists.

• I'd call this a bad idea. It'd just be a deadpool list, for the most part. And it would be surfacing providers with free publicity who would be otherwise buried in the search function.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 19

@yoursunny already maintains such list (although only in regards of IPv6)

• @tentor said:

The difference isn't that sunny isn't maintaining a public banlist. If you're evicted from the community, you shouldn't have a sticky advertising your service.

@lewellyn said:

@tentor said:

The difference isn't that sunny isn't maintaining a public banlist. If you're evicted from the community, you shouldn't have a sticky advertising your service.

Sure, but I would consider that list "naughty" enough

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • remyremy Member
    edited January 19

I don't think there are that many who are banned but continue their activity. Most of the time it's scam or deadpool. So not sure it's useful other than having statistics on the number of scams / deadpooled hosts

If the goal is to leave a mark on the internet to tarnish their reputation.... not sure it's worth it. They probably don't exist anymore.

Thanked by 1lewellyn
  • HypereHypere Member
    edited January 19

Just list any provider who does not provide 24/7 personal discord dm support

• remyremy Member
    edited January 19

@Hypere said:
    I made the first post.

User - @Hypere
    Company - Hypere.cloud
    Rule broken - no 24/7 personal discord dm support

The author of the thread is talking about banned providers. Not those who are lynched in public by a disgruntled user. The list would be too long otherwise.

Here we want servers with 100% uptime, hyper powerful, with lots of disk space, unlimited traffic.
    Support 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, with an average response time of 45 seconds.

Budget: 7 dollars...... per year obviously !

Inevitably, some providers fail :D

@remy said: Inevitably, some providers fail :D

Eventually, all providers will fail due to

@remy said: 100% uptime

• remyremy Member
    edited January 19

@tentor said:

If you can provide everything else for the price mentioned.
    As a tolerant LET user I can live with 99.99% uptime. o:)
    Need order link!

@remy said: Need order link!

You are already using 3mo trial VPS, awaiting for your review once you will be ready

Thanked by 1remy
  • xvpsxvps Member

@remy said:

@tentor said:

Need order link!

If not, another provider on LET has a rock-solid 99.9% SLA guarantee.

Thanked by 1remy
  • titustitus Member

Also would be a good idea a public 'provider registry' - who have the right to sell on LET - with some extra generic information:
    provider + website (URL) + services type (VPS/shared hosting/dedicated servers) + available location(s).

In some cases it would be a very useful (for example if someone search a VPS services from XYZ location). On the same list can be marked the mentioned "penalties"/revoked rights.

• xvpsxvps Member
    edited January 19

@titus said:
    Also would be a good idea a public 'provider registry' - who have the right to sell on LET - with some extra generic information:
    provider + website (URL) + services type (VPS/shared hosting/dedicated servers) + available location(s).

In some cases it would be a very useful (for example if someone search a VPS services from XYZ location). On the same list can be marked the mentioned "penalties"/revoked rights.

LET admins and moderators are too lazy to maintain such a list.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/153227/let-provider-register-directory-find-your-next-host-here

Thanked by 1northernjames
  • VoidVoid Member

When money decides many things, such lists and tags are impossible. Might work in OGF

• xvpsxvps Member

@jmaxwell said:
    When money decides many things, such lists and tags are impossible. Might work in OGF

https://lowendspirit.com/registered-providers

• remyremy Member

@tentor said:

@remy said: Need order link!

You are already using 3mo trial VPS, awaiting for your review once you will be ready

You're right!
    And it's been about 1 month now!
    This weekend, I'll write this review.

• remyremy Member

@xvps said:

@remy said:

@tentor said:

Need order link!

If not, another provider on LET has a rock-solid 99.9% SLA guarantee.

name?

@remy said: This weekend, I'll write this review.

I am not pushing you btw, you can use the server for next 2 month and write a review after that.

• not hard to even do automatically
    get all ussers with provider tag
    get all user with provider tag that are banned

thats already 75% of work tbh
    dont mind them having publicity
    I'd go with 1 provider all day but sometimes i need services they dont afford

Thanked by 1Lex
  • remyremy Member

@tentor said:

@remy said: This weekend, I'll write this review.

I am not pushing you btw, you can use the server for next 2 month and write a review after that.

I know, don't worry !
    I committed myself to do it after one month! ;)

Thanked by 1tentor
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 19

As the guy who maintains the list on the OGF referenced here I feel compelled to say that a Active/Inactive list is relatively easy to maintain. Making one that includes the providers locations & services offered, as suggested by some in this thread, would be much harder. You would need to check hundreds of provider to see what changed. I would expect this to take 20 to 30 hours of work every two weeks or so, which is kind of a lot to ask from volunteer moderators in addition to all their other tasks.

Mostly inactives are one of three things, providers that are no longer in operation, providers that no longer wish to be listed, or providers that were naughty. I expect it is easy enough for members to find out why they were naughty [or deadpooled] by doing a search. Just my two cents.

Thanked by 30xC7 titus Lex
  • sandozsandoz Veteran

This is a bad idea.

As you know Hosting Providers are always changing this means, what happen if the whole company was changed and now have new staff or network administrators and few things more?

I don't agree with this idea at all. All companies have the right to change when they want. If they get listed here and they decide to change things they should always be listed?

Sounds bad. And also this maybe a disrespect for any Hosting Provider that paid to be here. If it was free this should be OK.

But the fact is, who gives the money to this forum most likely are Hosting Providers with Advertisement, Tags and Sponsorship.

Not a good move to be honest.

• LexLex Member

@sandoz said:
    As you know Hosting Providers are always changing this means, what happen if the whole company was changed and now have new staff or network administrators and few things more?

I don't agree with this idea at all. All companies have the right to change when they want. If they get listed here and they decide to change things they should always be listed?

Sounds bad. And also this maybe a disrespect for any Hosting Provider that paid to be here. If it was free this should be OK.

But the fact is, who gives the money to this forum most likely are Hosting Providers with Advertisement, Tags and Sponsorship.

Not a good move to be honest.

If they get banned, it doesn't matter if they paid or how much. They lose all access. I'm just asking for a maintained list of this so everyone is aware and it doesn't require hours of everyone's time to find these things out.

If they change ownership, they could get in contact with a mod and explain the situation.

Your reply sounds very defensive towards companies with no solid ground. My proposal is intended to protect potential new customers. I bet you're against PayPal too :smile: