Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please stay away from colocrossing, it will lose your data with no notice! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please stay away from colocrossing, it will lose your data with no notice!

Comments

• @wicker said:

@lewellyn said:

@wicker said:

@SillyGoose said:

@wicker said:

@lewellyn said:

@wicker said:

@lewellyn said:
    How did they lose it? Did they put it under a mattress for safe keeping and forget which?

Their customer service said it was a bad hard drive, then my backend reported the error as looking like they deleted my machine by mistake. Anyway, the victims are very numerous and I'm going to be pissed off at them.

Are you pissed off at yourself for not maintaining backups? Do the terms of service for your offering with them say they make backups for you?

He's a new business and I'm having problems with my backups. I was really not expecting it to lose my data.

My man, hardware is something you can't control hardware fails, if you really cannot manage buy managed services from colocrossing and use that so it will be their liability, for now it's your liability

So are all the VPS's not doing anything with the hard disk arrays? And they don't notify the customer if there is a failure?

Oh this is the first time you've said this was a VPS. Most people seem to get dedis from CC.

Like I said before, you lack way too much info to sound like anything more than a whine post.

Having heard that they have a server room and are mainly in the business of hosting etc, and that the VPS is new, I assumed they would be very competent. This is my first PayPal controversy and it's not malicious. It took a long time to communicate and in the end they even ignored me.

If you provided me, as a provider (which I'm not in the sense of LET), with as little detail as you have provided in this post, I'd be ignoring you too and wishing you well as someone else's problem.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • @wicker said: You can lose your data at any time?

Only you personally take care of your data hosted on their VPS.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@wicker said:
    I'm just so pissed off at them, such an unethical business, I heard from someone on the forums that they have a server room. It should be strong, and it lost my data. I looked for their customer service they have a very indifferent attitude, and did not give me any notice. I said I lost my data and it's very important, they didn't care and re-opened a machine for me.
    This matter is not over, I will announce their shameless behavior in various forums, in ten years I have encountered such a shameless business.

I hope your translater converts this correctly.

They are not responsible for data. They are responsible for the machine being online - that is the hardware and network. Always make backups of critical data.

• @ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:
    I'm just so pissed off at them, such an unethical business, I heard from someone on the forums that they have a server room. It should be strong, and it lost my data. I looked for their customer service they have a very indifferent attitude, and did not give me any notice. I said I lost my data and it's very important, they didn't care and re-opened a machine for me.
    This matter is not over, I will announce their shameless behavior in various forums, in ten years I have encountered such a shameless business.

Hello. Can you please DM us your ticket ID so we can take a look into this?

Ticket ID: #977021

You guys have blocked my account, I just want my data back, I've been making it for months and I've gotten nothing. All your customer service will do is reboot my machine for me. A lot of people have thrown up and said they are afraid to use yours for business in the future.

• @lewellyn said:

@wicker said:

@lewellyn said:

@wicker said:

@jenkki said:
    Generally strange people who would entrust their valuables to cheap companies.
    It's like insuring your life in some random company when there is a reliable and trusted insurer nearby, but it costs a bit more.

A miser pays twice.

I also heard from someone else, to the effect that I was just using it to test some data that wasn't too easy to back up when I put it on there anyway, not that I didn't have a backup. I admit I made a mistake. But they didn't even notify me of the hardware failure. That's right, no notification whatsoever, I went up there and found out on my own after five days or so.

Were you paying for a managed service? No? Did you have SMART monitoring and alerting? No? This keeps sounding like a you problem, not a them problem.

So there is no guarantee with a VPS right? You can lose your data at any time?

A VPS has different abilities and obligations all around. IIRC, CC's VPS panel has a backup option. It's not their fault if you don't use it.

Their backend control panel reports errors
    1) User ID not found, please report to administrator to verify that your VPS has a valid user assigned to it!

I generally use snapshots and various backup plugins for backups. But that plugin seems to have failed somehow.

• Regardless of the outcome, please take a lesson from all this: make backups. Often. Every way you can. What if the building burnt to the ground due to natural disaster? Would you be holding them accountable for mother nature's actions?

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @risharde said:

@wicker said:

I hope your translater converts this correctly.

They are not responsible for data. They are responsible for the machine being online - that is the hardware and network. Always make backups of critical data.

Oh, okay. I really didn't realize that VPS's didn't have any protection. I apologize.

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

You guys have blocked my account, I just want my data back, I've been making it for months and I've gotten nothing. All your customer service will do is reboot my machine for me. A lot of people have thrown up and said they are afraid to use yours for business in the future.

As you have already been told several times, it is your responsibility to back up your data.

Of course, it always sucks when a provider loses your data and I can understand why you might be unhappy and switch providers. However, such a data loss should not have a huge impact on your business, otherwise YOU have made a mistake.

• @lewellyn said:
    Regardless of the outcome, please take a lesson from all this: make backups. Often. Every way you can. What if the building burnt to the ground due to natural disaster? Would you be holding them accountable for mother nature's actions?

I'm not new to this, I have ten years of experience. But I haven't really come across me losing data. Backup data often too, but this time this actually happened. I was too blindly trusting. Plus there is nothing that can be done about natural disasters. I'm mostly pissed off at their new business and the fact that there was no notification message. I feel very unprofessional and irresponsible

• ColoCrossingColoCrossing Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 19

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

Thank you.

For context this all transpired on January 11th. We had a VPS node that had a RAID array become corrupt and did lose data unfortunately. We did recreate the VM for you and even issued a one month extension to your service due to the inconvenience. After which you continued to threaten us that you will post everywhere you can. You then filed a dispute which refunded to you and closed your account.

We are very sorry your not happy with the experience. As the matter is resolved as you have been refunded if there is anything we can assist with further please let us know.

• @ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

Thank you.

For context this all transpired on January 11th. We had a VPS node that had a RAID array become corrupt and did lose data unfortunately. We did recreate the VM for you and even issued a one month extension to your service due to the inconvenience. After which you continued to threaten us that you will post everywhere you can. You then filed a dispute which refunded to you and closed your account.

As the matter is resolved if there is anything we can assist with further please let us know.

So you guys just don't notify your customers of your reasoning right? I don't need a month's compensation, I need my data.

• ColoCrossingColoCrossing Member, Patron Provider

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

Thank you.

As the matter is resolved if there is anything we can assist with further please let us know.

So you guys just don't notify your customers of your reasoning right? I don't need a month's compensation, I need my data.

We did advise you in your ticket of the issue.

• @wicker said:

@lewellyn said:
    Regardless of the outcome, please take a lesson from all this: make backups. Often. Every way you can. What if the building burnt to the ground due to natural disaster? Would you be holding them accountable for mother nature's actions?

I'm not new to this, I have ten years of experience. But I haven't really come across me losing data. Backup data often too, but this time this actually happened. I was too blindly trusting. Plus there is nothing that can be done about natural disasters. I'm mostly pissed off at their new business and the fact that there was no notification message. I feel very unprofessional and irresponsible

Ten years of experience and had zero backups

• kenjing789kenjing789 Member
    edited January 19

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

Thank you.

They are not responsible for data. They are responsible for the machine being online - that is the hardware and network. - @risharde

Check ToS which they state it clearly

Also if u have 10 years exp and no backup , that skill issues

• amjamj Member

@wicker said:
    I consider myself a very high quality person and I am pissed off by them.

I wonder a person who considers oneself very high quality didn't keep backuped.

• @ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

Thank you.

So there really isn't any possibility of recovery? I've heard from others on the forum that you guys lost his data too and eventually got it back.

• @wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

Thank you.

So there really isn't any possibility of recovery? I've heard from others on the forum that you guys lost his data too and eventually got it back.

Even if they could, why would they want to at this point? You initiated a chargeback and posted a rage thread that probably damaged their reputation a little bit for no good reason. Why would anyone do a favor for you after that?

• @ColoCrossing said: RAID 阵列已损坏

@fluffernutter said:

@wicker said:

@lewellyn said:

Ten years of experience and had zero backups

@amj said:

@wicker said:
    I consider myself a very high quality person and I am pissed off by them.

I wonder a person who considers oneself very high quality didn't keep backuped.

Is that funny? I've heard of server room fires, but I also backed up and just still lost a very large amount of data, and all your backups are incremental?

• wickerwicker Member
    edited January 19

@fluffernutter said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

Thank you.

Even if they could, why would they want to at this point? You initiated a chargeback and posted a rage thread that probably damaged their reputation a little bit for no good reason. Why would anyone do a favor for you after that?

It's true that it's not necessary, but they didn't mention any possibility of recovery in their reply, and at first I just thought they deleted my VPS by mistake.

• With all unmanaged hosting providers you should take data backup yourself and keep it safe unmanaged provider is not responsible for your data in case of hardware issue or any other

Thanked by 1lowendclient
  • wickerwicker Member
    edited January 19

@fluffernutter said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

@ColoCrossing said:

@wicker said:

Thank you.

You got the chronology wrong, I asked for it repeatedly in my work order, but they ultimately didn't respond to my message. However, someone's data was recovered by them. Just to call them out on it. You may not understand the feeling, but it's best to never understand.

I was the last to post. They don't care anyway.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@diwakerd said:
    With all unmanaged hosting providers you should take data backup yourself and keep it safe unmanaged provider is not responsible for your data in case of hardware issue or any other

It’s seems to me that some customers don’t get that or Google unable to translate that unmanaged service is self managed or customer is responsible for managing VPS or server and maintaining backups!

Thanked by 1lowendclient
  • @WebProject said:

@diwakerd said:
    With all unmanaged hosting providers you should take data backup yourself and keep it safe unmanaged provider is not responsible for your data in case of hardware issue or any other

It’s seems to me that some customers don’t get that or Google unable to translate that unmanaged service is self managed or customer is responsible for managing VPS or server and maintaining backups!

Yes you are right

• wickerwicker Member
    edited January 19

@WebProject said:

@diwakerd said:

There was no mistake, I just didn't realize that a new business could lose data so quickly as well. I knew to back up.I thought it might be brand new hardware.

• @wicker said: they have a server room

MJJ drama?

• @wicker said:

@WebProject said:

@diwakerd said:

There was no mistake, I just didn't realize that a new business could lose data so quickly as well. I knew to back up.

Data loss isn't that dependent on time, it can occur at any time.

A new VPS doesn't mean it's less likely to have data loss than a 1 year old VPS. Therefore you should treat data loss equally as likely no matter how long you have the service.

• @wicker said:

@WebProject said:

@diwakerd said:

There was no mistake, I just didn't realize that a new business could lose data so quickly as well. I knew to back up.I thought it might be brand new hardware.

How millions did you lose after data loss?

• @Colocrossing is a very good provider with stable network and services and if any one buy service from them then remember its an Unmanaged / Selfmanaged service they are responsible to keep your server hardware and network up and running and if hardware fail they will replace that's it do not expect anyone to take backup of your data
    You are responsible for your own data

• @diwakerd said:
    @Colocrossing is a very good provider with stable network and services and if any one buy service from them then remember its an Unmanaged / Selfmanaged service they are responsible to keep your server hardware and network up and running and if hardware fail they will replace that's it do not expect anyone to take backup of your data

I hope you mean what you say, but they are really cheap, I just saw it sitting around and used it.

• @wicker said:

@diwakerd said:
    @Colocrossing is a very good provider with stable network and services and if any one buy service from them then remember its an Unmanaged / Selfmanaged service they are responsible to keep your server hardware and network up and running and if hardware fail they will replace that's it do not expect anyone to take backup of your data

I hope you mean what you say, but they are really cheap, I just saw it sitting around and used it.

I m using @ColoCrossing since 2018 now its 2024 and i m using 2 vps and 2 dedicated servers from colocrossing

Thanked by 1ColoCrossing