Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VDS Europe - Ryzen 7900 or equivalent high frequency cpu core...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VDS Europe - Ryzen 7900 or equivalent high frequency cpu core...

remyremy Member
edited January 17 in General

Hello,

I was wondering if there were any VDS offers with this kind of specification in Europe at a fair price ?
I haven't found that many offers.
Do you know of any providers offering this in Western Europe?

One more question
Is there a risk that single-core performance will vary greatly over time if the cores are not pinned to the virtual machine?

Comments

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

@remy said:
    One more question
    Is there a risk that single-core performance will vary greatly over time if the cores are not pinned to the virtual machine?

That's a risk either way. A VDS does not guarantee that you will get 100% peak performance of the core. It's typically just marketing that indicates that you are allowed to use 100% of the cores all the time. However, as overall load on a CPU increases the performance of every core decreases.

It could be very likely that a VDS offers lowers performance than a VPS.

• remyremy Member
    edited January 17

@labze said:

@remy said:
    One more question

That's a risk either way. A VDS does not guarantee that you will get 100% peak performance of the core. It's typically just marketing that indicates that you are allowed to use 100% of the cores all the time. However, as overall load on a CPU increases the performance of every core decreases.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Unless the CPU cores are pinned. But very few providers do this.
    Which... reduces the number of potential offers even further.

The problem with VPSs is that I need a machine that's going to be constantly at 50% load for at least 8 hours a day.
    And with peaks at full load. I need guaranteed / dedicated resources.

• nvmenvme Member

I remember Server-Factory used to offer VDS.
    Other option would be @Advin , they don't have Ryzen 7900 but 5950X instead, and 50% consistent usage should be fine. I had used it in the past and it was quite good.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@remy said: Unless the CPU cores are pinned. But very few providers do this.

CPU pining itself does not protect you from a provider who lies about dedicated cores and oversells them actually as if it is VPS

• remyremy Member

@nvme said:
    Other option would be @Advin , they don't have Ryzen 7900 but 5950X instead, and 50% consistent usage should be fine. I had used it in the past and it was quite good.

Advin also offers VDS. And 5950x is good enough
    Unfortunately I've already tried to order quite a few times and there's never anything in stock. :p

Server-factory I've just had a look but it seems that it only offers vps from now on.

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

@remy said:

We have Ryzen 7900 VPS at https://allhost.io/ryzen-vps-hosting/.
    Have some offers available currently too but can also work out a deal if the predefined packages aren't a good fit.

We generally wouldn't bother with pinning/scheduling CPUs unless it's a managed service but we keep a reasonably low CPU utilization spread (Across all of the hypervisors right now, they're all between 13-23% average CPU).

Fair usage is no more than 80% of your CPU for more than 3 hours frequently but we're yet to enforce that.

• remyremy Member

@tentor said:

CPU pining itself does not protect you from a provider who lies about dedicated cores and oversells them actually as if it is VPS

I'll be able to check the single-core performance over time.
    In fact, the aim is to have a very good single-core performance.
    And I have the impression that that's hardly possible if the cores aren't pinned.

Because there's no guarantee at any given time that 1 core is completely free.
    You can only guarantee that 10% of the total power of the node is yours without pinning.

Or am I missing something?

• @remy said:

@labze said:

@remy said:
    One more question

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Unless the CPU cores are pinned. But very few providers do this.
    Which... reduces the number of potential offers even further.

The problem with VPSs is that I need a machine that's going to be constantly at 50% load for at least 8 hours a day.
    And with peaks at full load. I need guaranteed / dedicated resources.

We each single vCore to a single Core for VDS. It should be like this.

Thanked by 1remy
    edited January 17

@remy said:

@tentor said:

And I have the impression that that's hardly possible if the cores aren't pinned.

You can only guarantee that 10% of the total power of the node is yours without pinning.

Unfortunately, KVM has its' own overhead and you will never achieve 100% of the host node performance, although sometimes CPU pinning may improve performance for a bit due to absence of scheduler work your virtual machine's rescheduling, but the most influence comes from allocating honestly 1 vCPU per 1 physical core.

Thanked by 1AllHost_Rep
  • remyremy Member

@AllHost_Rep said:

@remy said:

We have Ryzen 7900 VPS at https://allhost.io/ryzen-vps-hosting/.
    Have some offers available currently too but can also work out a deal if the predefined packages aren't a good fit.

We generally wouldn't bother with pinning/scheduling CPUs unless it's a managed service but we keep a reasonably low CPU utilization spread (Across all of the hypervisors right now, they're all between 13-23% average CPU).

Fair usage is no more than 80% of your CPU for more than 3 hours frequently but we're yet to enforce that.

I don't think that would suit me. Even if the price is right.
    I'm planning on a minimum 50% load of at least 8/9 hours a day, 5 days a week.
    Let's just say I don't want to worry about whether or not I'm within the limits, but rather concentrate on the work I have to do with it. Even if it means paying a bit more.

• remyremy Member
    edited January 17

@tentor said:

@remy said:

@tentor said:

Unfortunately, KVM has its' own overhead and you will never achieve 100% of the host node performance, although sometimes CPU pinning may improve performance for a bit due to absence of scheduler work your virtual machine's rescheduling, but the most influence comes from allocating honestly 1 vCPU per 1 physical core.

I can understand that. Maybe in the end it doesn't make much difference (pinned or not)
    After that, there's no guarantee that the provider is acting in good faith. Even if selling guaranteed resources and overselling is rather risky in terms of reputation.

It's less risky to oversell VPS to LET members who won't even notice anyway. Because they already have 15 other servers. :D

A dedicated server is always best in these cases.
    But I don't need all the cores, so it's quite a budget for my needs to rent a dedi with ryzen 9 cpu

• @remy said:
    It's less risky to oversell VPS to LET members who won't even notice anyway. Because they already have 15 other servers. :D

How dare you call us out, I'm highly offended

• remyremy Member

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

How dare you call us out, I'm highly offended

I thought of you a bit when I wrote that. :#
    But I have no doubt that you run a benchmark from time to time.
    To check that you still have the resources you paid for.

• AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

@remy said:

That's understandable. What's your budget / how many dedicated cores are you looking for?

edited January 17

@remy said: It's less risky to oversell VPS to LET members who won't even notice anyway. Because they already have 15 other servers. :D

A dedicated server is always best in these cases.
    But I don't need all the cores, so it's quite a budget for my needs to rent a dedi with ryzen 9 cpu

LET has different members, also keep in mind of abusers who may do some things impacting network or IO. Also, the providers selling VDS will be present not only in LowEnd market, this is actually more Middle/High End market. (why would someone use dedicated resources for idling?!)

Regarding dedi - yes, it would be much more resource/cost efficient, however with VDS you get live migration, sometimes HA on a cluster level, redundancy and backups as well. On dedi you need to monitor hardware and act promptly, handle backups (no shortcut for full disk snapshots), etc etc.

It is up to you what fits you the best.

Thanked by 1remy
  • remyremy Member
    edited January 17

@AllHost_Rep said:

@remy said:

That's understandable. What's your budget / how many dedicated cores are you looking for?

@AllHost_Rep said:

@remy said:

It depends on the CPU model, but with this one 3 / 4 cores would be enough.
    But I need "a lot" of RAM.
    4 CPU cores, 16Gb ram minimum, 100Gb disk, 5TB bandwidth

I'm currently using the new ryzen servers from avoro (ryzen rootserver M) which are very competitively priced but the single-core performance is good without being excellent. The price is 20€ but I can go higher if the offer better meets my needs. But not above 40€

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited January 17

@tentor said:
    (why would someone use dedicated resources for idling?!)

Why would you not use dedicated resources for idling? It's the perfect product to idle as it ensures no one else is ab(using) your allocated resources.

@Moopah said: Why would you not use dedicated resources for idling?

Idling investments are considered risky by my financial advisor

Thanked by 1idleparty
  • remyremy Member
    edited January 17

@tentor said:

@Moopah said: Why would you not use dedicated resources for idling?

Idling investments are considered risky by my financial advisor

If only you knew how much it costs Moopah to idle.
    There should be a competition.
    He'll be on the podium for sure.

A new sport at the Olympics? :)

Thanked by 1idleparty
  • I think @crunchbits does core pinning for VDS, but he's in US, might be some time until the US moves close enough to Western Europe.

Maybe PM @Advin or something to get in queue for VDS restock

Thanked by 1remy
  • remyremy Member

@Moopah said:
    I think @crunchbits does core pinning for VDS, but he's in US, might be some time until the US moves close enough to Western Europe.

Maybe PM @Advin or something to get in queue for VDS restock

Thanks.
    Indeed, crunchbits would have been perfect.
    Even if I can't access the offer right now, I'm automatically redirected to the discounted VPS plans.
    But I think the latency will get on my nerves in the long run...

• nvmenvme Member

@remy said:

@nvme said:

Advin also offers VDS. And 5950x is good enough
    Unfortunately I've already tried to order quite a few times and there's never anything in stock. :p

Server-factory I've just had a look but it seems that it only offers vps from now on.

Yeah they have stock issues. You can join their discord, they have notifications for new stock.

Other option would be Hosthatch as well, or you could get an AX41 from Hetzner 😉

• Ginernet @jmginer has Optimized VPS Servers offerings on their website.

• Aeza.net has been solid so far.

• remyremy Member

@tmntwitw said:
    Ginernet @jmginer has Optimized VPS Servers offerings on their website.

I think my workload uses too many CPU resources to work with shared resources.
    Just installing the entire development environment takes several hours.
    I don't want to get suspended.

@sasslik said:
    Aeza.net has been solid so far.

I've never heard of it. It's a bit expensive for my budget
    Perhaps a dedicated hetzner server would be more suitable at this price level.
    But thanks !

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 19

@remy said:

@tmntwitw said:

Hello, our Optimized servers guarantee 100% resource availability.
    You can utilize 100% CPU capacity at all times without any issues.
    Our servers are free from overselling.
    https://ginernet.com/en/optimized-vps/

Thanked by 1remy
  • @nvme said:

Advin have AMD EPYC 9554 64-Core Processor dedicated.

Thanked by 1remy
  • remyremy Member

@jmginer said:

@remy said:

@tmntwitw said:

Hello, our Optimized servers have 100% resource guaranted.
    You can use 100% CPU during 100% time without any issue.
    Are servers with zero overselling.
    https://ginernet.com/en/optimized-vps/

I saw later that you had several ranges.
    It's a bit over my budget, though. But thanks for the clarifications

I haven't found a solution within my budget yet.
    So I think my budget is a bit tight and I'd be better off with a lower frequency processor. Like I've already got from Avoro.

• remyremy Member
    edited January 19

@hyperblast said:

@nvme said:

Advin have AMD EPYC 9554 64-Core Processor dedicated.

Advin has been recommended several times. Unfortunately no stock.
    Thanks btw

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 19

Hey everyone! Thanks for the recommendations. But yeah, sadly we are completely out of stock :'(

I’ll be honest, the main issue is that 7950X3D stuff isn’t really as much of a priority for us anymore because we moved to owned hardware, and we generally have better margins on our owned AMD EPYC servers, so our resources are typically allocated to that. We might have 7950X3D or Genoa 9554 stuff coming back in stock, but I would estimate a 1-2 month lead time before we have anything. People hold onto them for a while, there’s a very low cancellation rate (especially with Genoa where 95% of it are yearly plans).

Thanked by 2remy hyperblast