Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap large smartphone recommendations, please? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap large smartphone recommendations, please?

13»

Comments

• @FatGrizzly said:

265$ in local currency.

but as a matter of word, i wouldn't suggest this.

Someone people say Mediatek chips heat up quickly, and it happens when im outside.

if you're going for xiaomi/poco, go for snapdragon chips

To note, I'd agree. I also don't quite recall why but I do know I have a preference for Qualcomm chips vs Mediatek chip. Maybe it was due to how easier it was to work with Qualcomm chips historically for rooting and flashing and such. I don't quite recall though.

Qualcomm's definitely leading the market in this space and so Mediatek focuses on being more price conscious (aka... cheaper).

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Qualcomm's definitely leading the market in this space and so Mediatek focuses on being more price conscious (aka... cheaper).

Althrough I somewhat agree... They leading because of proprietary stuff (QuickCharge, aptX) and because of multiyear deals cause they were first with 5G modems. Not because of anything with CPU itself.

They source 1:1 same ARM design as Mediatek.

CPU brand has minimal difference nowadays. Even Unisoc is okay, its still same ARM designs.

And its difficult to call Qualcomm leader when they released such garbage flagship SoCs like 888 or 8 Gen 1 recently.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Just bought galaxy tab A9 recently for $150 in Indonesia. Some used devices sold for $110-$120.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @AXYZE said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

Althrough I somewhat agree... They leading because of proprietary stuff (QuickCharge, aptX) and because of multiyear deals cause they were first with 5G modems. Not because of anything with CPU itself.

CPU brand has minimal difference nowadays. Even Unisoc is okay, its still same ARM designs.

And its difficult to call Qualcomm leader when they released such garbage flagship SoCs like 888 or 8 Gen 1 recently.

I agree with the first half. They have created more moats around them.

I do think their market share is being eaten up since everyone's trying to build their own silicon. However, from what I recall most of these custom designs are based from Qualcomm's.

I can't comment on their latest SoCs to be fair. I haven't really looked at it in a while.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@HalfEatenPie said:

@AXYZE said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

I agree with the first half. They have created more moats around them.

I do think their market share is being eaten up since everyone's trying to build their own silicon. However, from what I recall most of these custom designs are based from Qualcomm's.

I can't comment on their latest SoCs to be fair. I haven't really looked at it in a while.

Qualcomm abandoned in-house core design in 2016.
    Snapdragon 835 (2017) had 4x ARM Cortex-A73 & 4xARM Cortex-A53.
    Newest Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 that will go into S24 Ultra has 1xARM Cortex-X4, 5x ARM Cortex-A720, 2x ARM Cortex-A520.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_systems_on_chips#Snapdragon_8_Gen_3_(2024)

Qualcomm is well known for making multi-year deals even outside of Android world
    https://www.reuters.com/technology/qualcomm-supply-apple-with-5g-chips-until-2026-under-new-deal-2023-09-11/
    I heard that you can't even get their flagship SoC without committing to initial order on next one, but I have no source to back that up.

• Google - Pixel 6 Pro 256GB Unlocked - Very Good $229
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/255988719866
    https://grapheneos.org/faq#supported-devices

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:
    Today in Sonora, MX. 🇲🇽🏜️ Sometimes New York City. 🗽🇺🇸

A bit far from France, too bad ;)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @AXYZE said: And its difficult to call Qualcomm leader when they released such garbage flagship SoCs like 888 or 8 Gen 1 recently.

That you have to blame Samsung

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • kdjmakdjma Member

Nokia make some decent models, they also do security updates for a long time.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 14

@webdev said:

@AXYZE said: And its difficult to call Qualcomm leader when they released such garbage flagship SoCs like 888 or 8 Gen 1 recently.

That you have to blame Samsung

....what?

You mean Samsung fabs? Why?

You think that Qualcomm sourced making CPU to them and had no idea about performance profile?

Not Qualcomm that tried to make big performance jump once more so their presentations for shareholders with 2 year+ speculations would hold up? And have a increased profit margin cause 5nm TSMC was a lot more expensive? :)

Samsung is not a fault here, this is not how it works. Qualcomm knows performance profile of CPU before they make first CPU that will come out of fab. Otherwise how they could make FIVR and choose clockspeeds and voltages? "It feels like we should do 3.2GHz because its nice number"? 🤣

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Awhile back I could find out quite a bit about phones from the FCC Equipment Authorization Search.

At the moment the database shows me an "Undergoing Maintenance" Notice. :(

Ideas? :)

• dapavndapavn Member, Patron Provider

ZTE Blade Vantage could be a good option for your budget. You can find it under $60-$70 and will most likely do the job you need it to do. Has 5.4" screen and Android 9 that will support most apps.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Redmi Note 12 5G
    125.46$

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited January 15

@dapavn said:
    ZTE Blade Vantage could be a good option for your budget. You can find it under $60-$70 and will most likely do the job you need it to do. Has 5.4" screen and Android 9 that will support most apps.

Well, Pixel 2 XL is better in that case
    screen size 6" and resolution is 1440x2880
    Large screen, but still thin and lightweight (175 grams)
    about $70-$80
    Pure Android OS (no bloatware crap)
    Supports version 11

Plus lifetime unlimited "Storage Saver" space to save pictures on Google cloud.

I am using Pixel 2XL

Thanked by 1Not_Oles