Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap large smartphone recommendations, please?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap large smartphone recommendations, please?

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hi guys!

I need a new phone because my 2016 ZTE Z981 Max Pro's battery is gone. That phone only cost me $100, so it doesn't owe me anything. :)

When travelling internationally I used the Z981 as a portable ssh terminal with the ConnectBot App and a bluetooth keyboard. This worked great!

I'd just get a new battery, but my phone is old enough (Android 6.0.1) that Chrome won't update any more (although Firefox Nightly still works).

People have kindly pointed me toward the Redmi 12 Turbo and the Poco F5. But these are more than I want to spend.

May I please ask what cheap large smartphone you would suggest?

Thanks!

Tom

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Fire HD 8 can be had for $60 or so.
    I use it as SSH terminal all the time, no need for external keyboard.
    Not a phone but it can pair with any other small phones via tethering.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles mailcheap
  • Just asking, if an Android tablet with 4G capabilities would work for you?
    If not you can try Asus ZenFone max products line in the second hand market

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:
    Fire HD 8 can be had for $60 or so.
    I use it as SSH terminal all the time, no need for external keyboard.
    Not a phone but it can pair with any other small phones via tethering.

Yeah, a tablet might be great. Like you said, I could pair it with almost any cheap phone.

Thanks for the suggestion!

@jason5545 said:
    Just asking, if an Android tablet with 4G capabilities would work for you?

Sometimes I actually need a phone to call people and to receive calls. I'm not sure whether a 4G Android tablet could fulfill all the calling and being called functions of a phone, but I think maybe not.

Thanks for the suggestion! Much appreciated!

• Phone: Would recommend Redmi or Poco, because it's focused on cheap pricing, and brands that worth to look Inifix or Techno.

Tablet: Realme Pad, Xiaomi Redmi Pad SE, or Nokia T20.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles pangkus
  • @Not_Oles said:

@jason5545 said:

Sometimes I actually need a phone to call people and to receive calls. I'm not sure whether a 4G Android tablet could fulfill all the calling and being called functions of a phone, but I think maybe not.

It can be used as a phone, the difference is you need to connect Bluetooth headphone while you are calling, otherwise every call will be speaker out. In my opinion the tablet is that better choice, because as we get old, our eyesight become bad, on a tablet you can zoom in the terminal text, far more reasonable than a phone

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

Cheapest smartphone with big screen that isn't piece of shit: Poco C65 / Redmi 13C (same phone) https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8096&idPhone2=12684&idPhone3=12689

But I would heavily recommend to spend more and get Realme 11 Pro or Redmi Note 13, cause cheaper smartphones have too much drawbacks (for example virtual proximity sensing instead of real sensor, dim screens, slow chargers in a box...)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited January 13

Don't know where you live, but Poco tends to be the best value for money for phones (Poco M5 or M6 Pro). If that is not an option, maybe due to network bands, then consider Redmi/Realme, then Motorola, then everything else.

Don't know much about tablets, but Xiaomi/Redmi, Realme, Motorola, Lenovo and OnePlus all seem to have decent options in WiFi+LTE.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@AXYZE said:
    Cheapest smartphone with big screen that isn't piece of shit: Poco C65 / Redmi 13C (same phone) https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8096&idPhone2=12684&idPhone3=12689

But I would heavily recommend to spend more and get Realme 11 Pro or Redmi Note 13, cause cheaper smartphones have too much drawbacks (for example virtual proximity sensing instead of real sensor, dim screens, slow chargers in a box...)

i have a redmi note 12 here, works great.

has a 67 W fast charging, charges in about half an hour i guess, lasts quite long.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@FatGrizzly said: redmi note 12 here

Here's yet another. Just the plain Note 12? Not Turbo or Pro?

• @Not_Oles said:

Plain Redmi Note 12 should suffice for your needs.

Okami

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • 0xOkami0xOkami Member
    edited January 13

@hyperblast said:
    @Not_Oles budget?

Probably around $100-$150

Okami

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Not_Oles said:

Plus

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • varwwwvarwww Member
    edited January 13

don't know if it is launched in your region, but the recently announced moto g34 seems like a good device. 6nm 5G, comes with Android 14 + 1 year of android update + 3 years of security updates. https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g34-12759.php

there is also the redmi 13 series from previous comments but the software experience wont be pure android.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • _MS__MS_ Member

It's all shit. Cheap is not affordable but proper cheap these days, i.e., all new budget products after the pandemic.

50 MP, 64 MP, even some 108 MP cameras are worse than the 12.2MP cameras of 2019; you'd get a Sony IMX363 in a $100 phone back then.

The batteries die within 1.5 years, then you see a couple of years later, the replacement battery cost increased by 3 times. Because they don't want you buy a replacement battery, but a new phone.

No more than a couple years of OS updates.

Don't buy these "the cheapest". Buy cheap, buy twice.

Look for deals on a phone launched maybe a year earlier, and it's available for like 50% discount. In my region, the Moto G32 is available for around $120 with a 50% discount, you can check if there's such a deal in your region for this or other phones.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Samsung is not available in your region? Maybe an A34 or A54 if that is in your budget, and it will get several Android updates.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • as a portable ssh terminal with the ConnectBot App and a bluetooth keyboard.

Those hardware keyboard phones were the shit. There's some cheapo ones on uncle Ali if your fingers aren't of the ogre.

Netbooks (the true ones) can be found next to nothing (i threw one away, fuck), pairing it with bluetooth etc. atleast that way you can chose your OS and keep it up to date

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • If you can wait for shipping, directly buying from china (like jd.com) would be cost effective

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Motorola is cheap

Thanked by 2thane Not_Oles
  • raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited January 13

My poco f2 pro was stolen in Turkey :'(

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • benchbench Member

@Not_Oles said:

@jason5545 said:

4G Android tablet + Google Voice will fulfill all the calling and being called functions of a phone

Thanked by 2jason5545 Not_Oles
  • jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited January 13

@lowenduser1 said:

as a portable ssh terminal with the ConnectBot App and a bluetooth keyboard.

Those hardware keyboard phones were the shit. There's some cheapo ones on uncle Ali if your fingers aren't of the ogre.

Netbooks (the true ones) can be found next to nothing (i threw one away, fuck), pairing it with bluetooth etc. atleast that way you can chose your OS and keep it up to date

These reminds me of fxtec fx1(not sure about the model name)
    https://www.fxtec.com/smartphones/pro1x
    Maybe find on eBay is also an option.

Thanked by 2lowenduser1 Not_Oles
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@jason5545 said:

My Zenfone's motherboard died after I picked it up with wet hands. Asus replaced the motherboard as it was within warranty but it had issues staying connected to the cellular network ever since.

I'd say most manufacturers with at least 4 years of security updates are alright. I'm using a midrange Oneplus device, it's usable once debloated. Otherwise a Pixel is probably the best choice until Pinephone et al. comes out with a decent phone that can run Android apps.

Pavin.

• Ebay -> sort by price would answer the question.

• bootboot Member

Nokia G21 can be found for pretty cheap.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • I recommended got moto g32 or samsung a32/a54 is cost-effective long lasting phone you can get.

If you okay get secondhand area, take a look LG V series.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @ailice said:
    I recommended got moto g32 or samsung a32/a54 is cost-effective long lasting phone you can get.

If you okay get secondhand area, take a look LG V series.

LG V50/60 is indeed nice.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Go for moto g34 5g its like 150 bucks and got everything, even esim. i didnt find a phone with the same features for this price point.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@hyperblast said:
    @Not_Oles budget?

My old phone only cost $100. Matching that would be great!