Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ Crunchbits Bare Metal Server From MetalVPS! -- $1.00 Until November 8 -- "The Best Deal In Town!"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crunchbits Bare Metal Server From MetalVPS! -- $1.00 Until November 8 -- "The Best Deal In Town!"

Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
edited January 5 in Offers

Friendly greetings! ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒ

Everyone's best friend and favorite Low End Provider, Crunchbits, granted MetalVPS Crunchy, a wonderful US ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ dedicated server, free until November 8, 2024!

$1.00 until November 8, 2024 Offer From MetalVPS

Please note that there is only one server available! Also, whoever gets the server will be sharing it at least with me, and maybe also with others.

Usually I, @Not_Oles, have several bare metal servers. Typically I don't really use more than one bare metal server at any one time. Also, I put my long running services on VPSes. So, almost always, I have excess bare metal server capacity. It seems like a good idea to offer this excess bare metal capacity to our LES Community.

I started FreeVPS.org to give excess bare metal capacity to our Community in the form of free VPSes. Now, with Crunchy, I may be sharing an entire bare metal server with just one Community member. It also is possible that Crunchy might be shared among several Community members plus me. We will have to see what happens. As of this writing, nobody else but me is using Crunchy.

If you want to figure out whether you could do what you want to do on Crunchy, please read the Warnings and the Terms of Service shown below.

How to Sign Up also is covered below, along with Pricing (Crunchy is $1.00 until November 8, 2024!), Support, and FAQ.

The Boss at Crunchbits said that MetalVPS is "literally the best deal in town!" Thanks to the Boss for his kind words and for Crunchy!

Best wishes! ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒ

Tom

Crunchy Specs

• CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5 @ 3.50GHz
  • iGPU VPS passthrough possible, but not yet implemented
  • Hardware Cores: 4
  • Hardware Threads: 8
  • RAM: 64 GB DDR4 ECC
  • Disk: 4 x 2 TB SSD RAID 10 (3.7 TB available)
  • IP Addresses: 1 x IPv4/32; 1 x IPv6/128; 1 x IPv6/64; and 1 x IPv6/48 (HE TunnelBroker.net)
  • Bandwidth: 1 Gbps shared, unlimited, fair use
  • Today's OS: 22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
  • Current Term Expires: November 8, 2024

Warnings!

• Forever Cluelessโ„ข administrator @Not_Oles has no "technical background" and only "limited technical skills. . . ." ๐Ÿ˜€ @Not_Oles frequently messes up! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• MetalVPS has no billing panel and no server control panel. There are no preinstalled VPSes or containers. It's traditional, command line terminal via ssh until you install whatever you want. ๐Ÿ†•

• Sometimes trusted MetalVPSians might or might not get sudo, KVM group membership, etc. ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

• MetalVPS has no onboarding and no knowledge base. โ™’๏ธŽ

• Account delivery might take awhile! ๐Ÿ˜ด

• Not for business use! Intended especially for computer learning and fun! ๐Ÿค‘

• Frequent maintenance reboots are guaranteed! ๐ŸŒบ

• Please make your own redundant, offsite backups! It's easy to download or sync or clone your backup to a safe place. Please also make sure that you actually can restore from your backups! ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

• Please think of your MetalVPS account as ephemeral! Our server might blow up! ๐Ÿ’ฅ At any random second @Not_Oles or maybe you might reinstall the Node! ๐Ÿ˜ธ

• Other MetalVPSians might see your account name, the processes you are running, and much other information. So, please do not put confidential information on the server. ๐Ÿค”

Terms Of Service

• Be awesome! Be kind, gentle, friendly, positive, and polite!
  • White Hat only!
  • Not for business use!
  • Intended for education and fun!
  • Open source software only, both on MetalVPS and for connecting to MetalVPS!
  • No Service Level Agreement (SLA)!
  • Crunchbits TOS also applies!

Pricing

• Crunchy is $1.00 until November 8, 2024.

• Additional rented servers might need payment.

How To Sign Up

• Please post here in this thread to request a MetalVPS account.

• Please include

• your ed25519 ssh public key;

• links to your website, Github or other repo, other online profiles, etc.; and

• your use case for Crunchy.

• Please feel free to include additional items in support of your sign up request.

Support

• Please post all new MetalVPS account requests and all support requests, comments, and feedback here in this thread. Please also post tutorials explaining your Crunchy accomplishments here in this thread or on their own, new LET threads.

• LET PMs (personal messages) can be sent to @Not_Oles about items which need privacy.

More About MetalVPS!

Thanks!

Thanks to Crunchbits for the wonderful Crunchy server! <3 Even more thanks to Crunchbits for caring about every member of our wonderful Low End Community!

Tom gets a lot of help from the friendly MetalVPSians and from many other friends. Thanks to each and every one! <3

Edit History

January 5, 2024 -- Added ยจThanks!ยจ and ยจEdit Historyยจ sections. Fixed 2023/2024 typos.
January 4, 2024 -- Original post

ยซ1

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I dont know what I want to do with it yet but sounds fun to join the Metal family

• 0xC70xC7 Member
    edited January 5

Can I install docker container for cross-compile binaries ?
    US$1.00/mo

until November 8, 2024.

What happened after that date ?

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@FAT32 said:
    I dont know what I want to do with it yet but sounds fun to join the Metal family

MetalVPS definitely is a lot of fun! :)

Thanks!

Thanked by 10xC7
  • @Not_Oles said:

Everyone's best friend and favorite Low End Provider, Crunchbits, granted MetalVPS Crunchy, a wonderful US ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ dedicated server, free until November 8, 2024!

$1.00 until November 8, 2023 Offer From MetalVPS

Please note that there is only one server available! Also, whoever gets the server will be sharing it at least with me, and maybe also with others.

Usually I, @Not_Oles, have several bare metal servers. Typically I don't really use more than one bare metal server at any one time. Also, I put my long running services on VPSes. So, almost always, I have excess bare metal server capacity. It seems like a good idea to offer this excess bare metal capacity to our LES Community.

I started FreeVPS.org to give excess bare metal capacity to our Community in the form of free VPSes. Now, with Crunchy, I may be sharing an entire bare metal server with just one Community member. It also is possible that Crunchy might be shared among several Community members plus me. We will have to see what happens. As of this writing, nobody else but me is using Crunchy.

If you want to figure out whether you could do what you want to do on Crunchy, please read the Warnings and the Terms of Service shown below.

How to Sign Up also is covered below, along with Pricing (Crunchy is $1.00 until November 8, 2023!), Support, and FAQ.

The Boss at Crunchbits said that MetalVPS is "literally the best deal in town!" Thanks to the Boss for his kind words and for Crunchy!

Best wishes! ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒ

Tom

Crunchy Specs

• IP Addresses: 1 x IPv4/32; 1 x IPv6/128; 1 x IPv6/64; and 1 x IPv6/48 (HE TunnelBroker.net)

Warnings!

• Forever Cluelessโ„ข administrator @Not_Oles has no "technical background" and only "limited technical skills. . . ." ๐Ÿ˜€ @Not_Oles frequently messes up! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• MetalVPS has no billing panel and no server control panel. There are no preinstalled VPSes or containers. It's traditional, command line terminal via ssh until you install whatever you want. ๐Ÿ†•

• Sometimes trusted MetalVPSians might or might not get sudo, KVM group membership, etc. ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

• Please make your own redundant, offsite backups! It's easy to download or sync or clone your backup to a safe place. Please also make sure that you actually can restore from your backups! ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

• Please think of your MetalVPS account as ephemeral! Our server might blow up! ๐Ÿ’ฅ At any random second @Not_Oles or maybe you might reinstall the Node! ๐Ÿ˜ธ

• Other MetalVPSians might see your account name, the processes you are running, and much other information. So, please do not put confidential information on the server. ๐Ÿค”

Terms Of Service

• White Hat only!
    • Not for business use!

Pricing

How To Sign Up

• Please include

• Please feel free to include additional items in support of your sign up request.

Support

• Please post all new MetalVPS account requests and all support requests, comments, and feedback here in this thread. Please also post tutorials explaining your Crunchy accomplishments here in this thread or on their own, new LET threads.

• LET PMs (personal messages) can be sent to @Not_Oles about items which need privacy.

More About MetalVPS!

Can it be used to compile openwrt plug-ins? I want it

@0xC7 said:
    Can I install docker container for cross-compile binaries ?

I think so. I don't know why it wouldn't work.

US$1.00/mo

until November 8, 2024.

What happened after that date ?

Sorry, I don't know yet. It depends on what Crunchbits decides at that time.

@taoqiKO said:

@Not_Oles said:

$1.00 until November 8, 2023 Offer From MetalVPS

How to Sign Up also is covered below, along with Pricing (Crunchy is $1.00 until November 8, 2023!), Support, and FAQ.

Best wishes! ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒ

Tom

Crunchy Specs

Warnings!

Terms Of Service

• White Hat only!
    • Not for business use!

Pricing

How To Sign Up

• Please include

Support

More About MetalVPS!

Can it be used to compile openwrt plug-ins? I want it

Please read the How To Sign Up section of the ad. Please do what the Sign Up section says, and then MetalVPS can consider your application for a MetalVPS account. Thanks!

• I'd like to try it for:

• fun
    • proof of concept for projects I want to put into production
    • SO MUCH TO LEARN!

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIN4emHkCbrDflFRNfNMMVKP9yjxxT2NdqPGKAiEc3AN7 michael@optiplex790-2023-03-09

I'm a proponent of privacy so I'll be sending the other stuff to @Not_Oles in a PM. If my request is granted I will DEFINITELY post about my failures, reboots, why I did it THAT way, and hopefully my successes and tutorials here for all to see.

Thanks for your consideration!

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Thanks! This part of your application sounds pretty good to me! :)

• 0xC70xC7 Member

0xC7 said: What happened after that date ?
    Not_Oles said: Sorry, I don't know yet. It depends on what Crunchbits decides at that time.
    iGPU VPS passthrough possible, but not yet implemented
    Not_Oles said: MetalVPS definitely is a lot of fun! :)

Umm, presumably I choose tobe FreeVPS family when needed ...
    Meanwhile, congrats to your MetalVPS project ๐Ÿ‘

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

Thanks! This part of your application sounds pretty good to me! :)

I sent you a private chat. I may not send it well, but I still want it very hard.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDEl7aXcdF/DqxIVW3nd4iR1NLlElYzvDJ1W39aM0kSDsgf/9PC0SnJjsiWJWykTlaLNAwkXf1peu88GazDLXvrFvppsKMXvJR+O5o9DKIbM/KnACU1aZdQ9HrG4Opzykb91IsIF0B3xC+lUQnkWZ8WpyEmISM+Is13W/HZfCSWiU84PbJeFwCzoiKuciiIJ8tbwPkD2BqUwc8oBCRd+zRmEy5CXrKQduodrojNIvJY3mQPOutVwzbtHy3Yojrf3W97BIuxyYK682ECNAdO/qCGZSiFZT1aigYRfVFJSNF39RgX9U8cdJMuwXpDFJEho7mQ91yTUDUOt3fjY7r4BJLB [email protected]
    https://github.com/taoqiko?tab=repositories
    I want to learn to compile openwrt plug-ins by myself, but without a good server, it won't take me long to compile plug-ins every time.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@taoqiKO said:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDEl7aXcdF/DqxIVW3nd4iR1NLlElYzvDJ1W39aM0kSDsgf/9PC0SnJjsiWJWykTlaLNAwkXf1peu88GazDLXvrFvppsKMXvJR+O5o9DKIbM/KnACU1aZdQ9HrG4Opzykb91IsIF0B3xC+lUQnkWZ8WpyEmISM+Is13W/HZfCSWiU84PbJeFwCzoiKuciiIJ8tbwPkD2BqUwc8oBCRd+zRmEy5CXrKQduodrojNIvJY3mQPOutVwzbtHy3Yojrf3W97BIuxyYK682ECNAdO/qCGZSiFZT1aigYRfVFJSNF39RgX9U8cdJMuwXpDFJEho7mQ91yTUDUOt3fjY7r4BJLB [email protected]
    https://github.com/taoqiko?tab=repositories
    I want to learn to compile openwrt plug-ins by myself, but without a good server, it won't take me long to compile plug-ins every time.

Thanks very much! MetalVPS will consider your application! :)

Thanked by 1pixia1234
  • dav848dav848 Member

Wow
    Definitely i would like to try
    Pi-hole maybe
    Load balancer (nothing crazy maybe 100g/m)
    Maybe index some files (public stuff)
    Wireguard (if allowed?)
    Small script to download some stuff from YouTube
    Lol ๐Ÿ˜น that Pi-hole should be enough for me

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIN/D3+bK9xC5+iPfgxHnEVA3RDbjZSA1VqYsM8rF7XvF eddsa-key-20240105

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Are the chickens also metal?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • when will you guys stock dedicated servers again? 10gbps.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • This is awesome. Thank you for doing this. It's sad that freevps.org doesn't show up on the first page of SERP with the keyword "free vps." This endeavour would be helpful to many, as well.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited January 5

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQCi/e7RihPuzCZUMVWYGWWTXFXB6F5hR8IQZl9meog79kYmZwGsQjAmGHkmcidgOTOIGdPQrOwJFHsjhm2L+R/Q7gKaiZ6FFOwPdWmRQUYajBqldKoffhhW2xQ/D2g/2GNMLC5nPtRt07vu1ExwB75/8p9D75XdnWeWAl+CVPyhsHYLSwP9zTmBDkHMcHVyNphBXGB2iqzqR5A8B9jycZNwTzmcttIrDr4YdKhN3fln+6yMA9Qem8K0XoggcfxEWLK+qxFDKcrs4u2Zp9XLVfl4b4ZZLVIv/uuSv2vk1wAtfQFu5fzKnaWG9tuwBVfRsaqcov/S9yaTkmw52hW61MAX ssh-key-2021-12-08
    I want to improve my docker skills, and learn something new.
    https://github.com/jason5545

Long time no see @Not_Oles glad to see you again here, hope everything goes well. ๅฅฝไน…ไธ่ฆ‹~

Forever Cluelessโ„ข administrator @Not_Oles has no "technical background" and only "limited technical skills. . . ." ๐Ÿ˜€ @Not_Oles frequently messes up! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I believed you know more than I does.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • ErisaErisa Member

Several parts of the post say 2023, which is now the past. Probably a mistake unless the box can also time travel?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @Erisa said:
    Several parts of the post say 2023, which is now the past. Probably a mistake unless the box can also time travel?

@Not_Oles - can I add

• time travel experimentation

to my application?

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • i guess we're too late :(

@dav848 said:
    Wow
    Definitely i would like to try
    Pi-hole maybe
    Load balancer (nothing crazy maybe 100g/m)
    Maybe index some files (public stuff)
    Wireguard (if allowed?)
    Small script to download some stuff from YouTube
    Lol ๐Ÿ˜น that Pi-hole should be enough for me

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIN/D3+bK9xC5+iPfgxHnEVA3RDbjZSA1VqYsM8rF7XvF eddsa-key-20240105

Thanks for your application! Please allow me some time to consider. Best! Tom

Thanked by 1dav848

@dahartigan said:
    Are the chickens also metal?

Only when bought with an aff tag! :)

edited January 5

@bobsburgers said:
    when will you guys stock dedicated servers again? 10gbps.

By "you guys," whom do you mean? So far, MetalVPS is just me.

I have several other MetalVPS servers, but all of them are just 1 Gbps. If you want 10 Gbps, maybe we could arrange something, but it might be expensive. We can talk about it if you want, but perhaps, instead of MetalVPS, you might be better off going with one of the other fine Providers here?

Thanks!

Best wishes!

Tom

Hi @jason5545!

Thanks for your message!

@jason5545 said:
    ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQCi/e7RihPuzCZUMVWYGWWTXFXB6F5hR8IQZl9meog79kYmZwGsQjAmGHkmcidgOTOIGdPQrOwJFHsjhm2L+R/Q7gKaiZ6FFOwPdWmRQUYajBqldKoffhhW2xQ/D2g/2GNMLC5nPtRt07vu1ExwB75/8p9D75XdnWeWAl+CVPyhsHYLSwP9zTmBDkHMcHVyNphBXGB2iqzqR5A8B9jycZNwTzmcttIrDr4YdKhN3fln+6yMA9Qem8K0XoggcfxEWLK+qxFDKcrs4u2Zp9XLVfl4b4ZZLVIv/uuSv2vk1wAtfQFu5fzKnaWG9tuwBVfRsaqcov/S9yaTkmw52hW61MAX ssh-key-2021-12-08

Any chance you might have an ed25519 key?

Excellent goals!

Looks like a nice project idea! I did not yet look at the implementation, but the idea of removing war related content seems very interesting. It's a shame that we can't remove the wars.

Long time no see @Not_Oles glad to see you again here, hope everything goes well. ๅฅฝไน…ไธ่ฆ‹~

Always glad to see you too!

Forever Cluelessโ„ข administrator @Not_Oles has no "technical background" and only "limited technical skills. . . ." ๐Ÿ˜€ @Not_Oles frequently messes up! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

However much I know, there are always very many people who know much more than I do! Also, you surely know a lot about some subjects concerning which I know only very little. Chinese, for example.

Please give me some time to consider your application. To help me consider, may I please ask two more questions:

• Is your use case appropriate for the entire server?
    • How do you feel about sharing the server with me and with a few others? If we do take a shared approach?

Thanks! Best wishes!

Tom

@Erisa said:

Hey, thanks so much for the time travel correction! Very kind of you! <3

Come to think of it, yeah, E3 in 2024 is excellent time travel! Hehe! :)

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @Not_Oles said:

@Erisa said:

Hey, thanks so much for the time travel correction! Very kind of you! <3

Come to think of it, yeah, E3 in 2024 is excellent time travel! Hehe! :)

@Not_Oles said:
    Hi @jason5545!

Thanks for your message!

@jason5545 said:

Any chance you might have an ed25519 key?

Excellent goals!

Looks like a nice project idea! I did not yet look at the implementation, but the idea of removing war related content seems very interesting. It's a shame that we can't remove the wars.

Always glad to see you too!

However much I know, there are always very many people who know much more than I do! Also, you surely know a lot about some subjects concerning which I know only very little. Chinese, for example.

Please give me some time to consider your application. To help me consider, may I please ask two more questions:

• Is your use case appropriate for the entire server?
    • How do you feel about sharing the server with me and with a few others? If we do take a shared approach?

Thanks! Best wishes!

Tom

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIN0T1TR0Y0OIz74Vgkt+Tg7KB4ZHl/VjrhrfSPvRWwnW
    And yes my use case is appropriate. And okay to share with others.
    Thanks

@jason5545 said: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIN0T1TR0Y0OIz74Vgkt+Tg7KB4ZHl/VjrhrfSPvRWwnW
    Thanks

Hi again @jason5545!

Thanks for your ed25519 key. Thanks for your comment about your use case. Thanks for your feedback on the concept of sharing the server.

There was another bare metal server that you were using awhile back. Do you still have another bare metal server?

Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

Best!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

@jason5545 said: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIN0T1TR0Y0OIz74Vgkt+Tg7KB4ZHl/VjrhrfSPvRWwnW
    Thanks

Hi again @jason5545!

Thanks for your ed25519 key. Thanks for your comment about your use case. Thanks for your feedback on the concept of sharing the server.

There was another bare metal server that you were using awhile back. Do you still have another bare metal server?

Best!

Tom

Which server are you specific to? Server I may let go or I keep it, so I'm not sure which one you are mentioning about
    Thank you.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@jason5545 said:

@Not_Oles said:

Thanks

Hi again @jason5545!

Best!

Tom

Which server are you specific to? Server I may let go or I keep it, so I'm not sure which one you are mentioning about
    Thank you.

Hi!

I was asking whether you had another server besides the Crunchbits server discussed here in this thread?

If you do not have any other server, maybe I could share one of my EU servers with you? Would EU be higher latency for you than US?

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by 1jason5545

Hello Everyone!

Root access to Crunchy has been given to a gentleman who has shared and discussed command line code using features like Namespaces and Access Control Lists.

Hopefully, this use of Crunchy will enable more code learning and more code sharing!

I expect that MetalVPS will continue sharing bare metal servers. I look forward to making more servers available!

Thanks to everyone who asked for Crunchy! <3 Thanks to @crunchbits for this wonderful server! <3

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by 3ariq01 0xC7 jason5545