Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My UPDATED review of iHostART / @Calin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My UPDATED review of iHostART / @Calin

revo23sdrevo23sd Member
edited January 1 in Reviews

Happy New Year Everyone!

I purchased a VPS from @Calin to use as a seedbox / plex. This is my updated review of his service

Server Purchased:

4 TB HDD Raid 6
(20 GB SSD For boot/Operating System)
2 Dedicated CPU
2 GB DDr4 ECC RAM
1 Dedicated IPv4
VNC Accesss
Manual install ,delivery in 24 hours
1gbps up/down unlimited dedicated port speed

Payment - 9/10
Payment was quick and easy via PP

Delivery - 8/10
Delivery was meant to be in 24 hours, Delivery took 4 days due to a new storage node being made

Installation/Setup - 7/10
Calin installs OS's himself and delivers the VPS in working order, The cores weren't correct but calin fixed that quickly.

Usability - 6/10
SSH worked perfectly out of the box.
There is a control panel to manage the VPS, however theres no way to install an OS yourself unfortunately

General Use - 7/10
HDDs crashed after 1 day of use and all customers data was lost. Calin was quick to get it back up and running.
When the server is online it is working well.

YABS -

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2023-11-30

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Wed Dec 27 02:59:43 PM UTC 2023

Basic System Information:

Uptime : 0 days, 0 hours, 33 minutes
Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz
CPU cores : 1 @ 2197.454 MHz
AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM : 1.9 GiB
Swap : 2.0 GiB
Disk : 3.9 TiB
Distro : Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Kernel : 5.15.0-91-generic
VM Type : KVM
IPv4/IPv6 : ✔ Online / ❌ Offline

IPv4 Network Information:

ISP : Orange Romania Communication S.A
ASN : AS9050 ORANGE ROMANIA COMMUNICATION S.A
Host : RCS Technologies FZE LLC

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/sda3):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
Read 68.39 MB/s (17.0k) 117.40 MB/s (1.8k)
Write 68.59 MB/s (17.1k) 118.02 MB/s (1.8k)
Total 136.99 MB/s (34.2k) 235.43 MB/s (3.6k)
Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
------ --- ---- ---- ----
Read 137.45 MB/s (268) 137.71 MB/s (134)
Write 144.76 MB/s (282) 146.89 MB/s (143)
Total 282.21 MB/s (550) 284.61 MB/s (277)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider Location (Link) Send Speed Recv Speed Ping
Clouvider London, UK (10G) 517 Mbits/sec 435 Mbits/sec 54.1 ms
Scaleway Paris, FR (10G) 496 Mbits/sec 463 Mbits/sec 55.4 ms
NovoServe North Holland, NL (40G) 460 Mbits/sec 403 Mbits/sec 35.2 ms
Uztelecom Tashkent, UZ (10G) busy busy 136 ms
Clouvider NYC, NY, US (10G) 428 Mbits/sec 416 Mbits/sec 106 ms
Clouvider Dallas, TX, US (10G) 276 Mbits/sec 357 Mbits/sec 141 ms
Clouvider Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) 376 Mbits/sec 392 Mbits/sec 174 ms

Support - 10/10
Calin is very quick to provide support and fix issues.

Seedbox - 5/10
Due to the I/O Limits calin puts on the server, I do not think it is good for a seedbox. The download is limited to 40MB/s and sometimes doesn't even hit that and I have not seen a high upload speed when seeding so dont expect to be pulling a high ratio.
This was tested on a private tracker.
Plex works fine, no issues there when direct streaming content.
I offered to buy a higher I/O and calin said I couldn't. (I will probally be looking into getting a new server in future for a seedbox but i'm broke now.)

Overall Review - 7/10
Good provider if you are looking for a cheap DMCA ignored server in romainia with a low I/O

Comments

• bh4techbh4tech Member
    edited January 1

@revo23sd My chicken is cooking ( @Calin is re-installing the OS, I guess it takes 24hrs for him ) , so have no access to the VPS. Please let me know if avx_vnni is available on the CPU by running lscpu | grep avx_vnni.

• MoopahMoopah Member

@bh4tech said:
    @revo23sd My chicken is cooking ( @Calin is re-installing the OS, I guess it takes 24hrs for him ) , so have no access to the VPS. Please let me know if avx_vnni is available on the CPU by running lscpu | grep avx_vnni.

Why would it have avx_vnni? avx_vnni is only available on Intel CPUs 2021 or newer

• Possibly the best review I've ever read.

Kudos.

Thanked by 1revo23sd
  • @bh4tech said:

No results

Hopefully your chicken is ready soon :)

• @revo23sd thanks

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Aren't you the guy who already posted a "review" on that VPS?

Oh wait, here's one of your posts in that other thread:

@DanSummer said:
    How can you review what you don't have? To write a honest review, you'll have to use the item for few days/weeks. What exactly helpful can you say about a product you don't have?

to which you responded

@revo23sd said:
    For starters I didn't realise the site has shitty edit rules, I was also expecting to have the product today to complete the review.

I was going to update the main post as i went along. things have unfortunately not gone to plan

Cry me a river! How on earth could you have known how LET threads and posts work ... after creating only 10 threads, 8 of which btw. seem to have been put where they belong, the waste bin, uhm, deleted, and dozens of posts?

But ... tada ... now you've finally done it - and of bloody course you had to create a new thread.

And here's your reward, my review of you and your "review":

• brain: N/A, sorry none found
    • any new and not utterly irrelevant insight: N/A
    • Bullshit: found!

@revo23sd said:
    There is a control panel to manage the VPS, however theres no way to install an OS yourself unfortunately

Strange, because I did an install from ISO.

Finally: why purchase a VPS? Why not simply pulling a "review" completely out of your ass?

• revo23sdrevo23sd Member
    edited January 1

@jsg said:

@DanSummer said:
    How can you review what you don't have? To write a honest review, you'll have to use the item for few days/weeks. What exactly helpful can you say about a product you don't have?

to which you responded

@revo23sd said:
    For starters I didn't realise the site has shitty edit rules, I was also expecting to have the product today to complete the review.

I was going to update the main post as i went along. things have unfortunately not gone to plan

Cry me a river! How on earth could you have known how LET threads and posts work ... after creating only 10 threads, 8 of which btw. seem to have been put where they belong, the waste bin, uhm, deleted, and dozens of posts?

But ... tada ... now you've finally done it - and of bloody course you had to create a new thread.

@revo23sd said:

Finally: why purchase a VPS? Why not simply pulling a "review" completely out of your ass?

Very toxic. :D

Its not bullshit, If you want a new OS installed you need to ask calin, theres no automated system to install one. However calin has said he is planning on adding a new control panel for that.

I think its very obvious why I purchased a VPS... I needed a new seedbox.

Making a review out of nothing would be a lie. Lying is bad.

I don't remember making any other threads here, I do smoke a lot of weed tho, so possible I simply don't remember.

• How many chickens were you given for this review?

edited January 1

@dahartigan said:
    How many chickens were you given for this review?

0 I purchased and made the review.

• thanethane Member

@jsg said:

@DanSummer said:

to which you responded

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

AAA+++ review, spot on, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • thanethane Member

Also, how does losing all your data result in only -30% loss of general use score? OP is obvious shill.

Thanked by 2Naomii verl20
  • benchbench Member

@revo23sd said:

@dahartigan said:
    How many chickens were you given for this review?

0 I purchased and made the review.

7/10 for HDDs crashed
    8/10 for Delivery took 4 days

Too bad there weren't any objective teachers like you in my school. I could've been a straight-A student.

• @thane said:
    Also, how does losing all your data result in only -30% loss of general use score? OP is obvious shill.

idk what a shill is, but i am not one.

Its a cheap Romanian provider run out of the basement of a 18 year old. dataloss should be expected and if your data is that important that you can't simply redownload it, you should have multiple backups and maybe not use a cheap Romanian provider run out of the basement of a 18 year old.

Thanked by 1thane
  • thanethane Member

@revo23sd said:

@thane said:

Its a cheap Romanian provider run out of the basement of a 18 year old. dataloss should be expected and if your data is that important that you can't simply redownload it, you should have multiple backups and maybe not use a cheap Romanian provider run out of the basement of a 18 year old.

Lmao 🤣

I think a shill is someone that promotes a service in exchange for compensation. But I use it colloquially to describe basic fanboys too. I'm a shill sometimes :)

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep

@revo23sd said:

@thane said:

Might wanna highlight inexperienced basement host in there somewhere. Most people looking for any hosting expect some kind of standards, especially when compared to what's available from actual providers. Nothing against @Calin or anything.

At least mention the basement, rather than having anyone read the "review", only to find out later, that it's not a normal provider.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3667712/#Comment_3667712

Thanked by 3Naomii thane 10thHouse
  • JasonMJasonM Member

@revo23sd said: HDDs crashed after 1 day of use and all customers data was lost. Calin was quick to get it back up and running.

sad

Thanked by 1revo23sd
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 1

@jsg said: Cry me a river! How on earth could you have known how LET threads and posts work ... after creating only 10 threads, 8 of which btw. seem to have been put where they belong, the waste bin, uhm, deleted, and dozens of posts?

brain: N/A, sorry none found
    any new and not utterly irrelevant insight: N/A
    Bullshit: found!

I'd like to agree and also say that it felt like @revo23sd 's shitty initial review was him basically indirectly threatening @Calin with "I'm going to leave you a bad public review unless you fix this".

Like... Just show it as what it is. Don't be a dick. Don't use "reviews" as threats to vendors unless it's really necessary (in which case what you've described is... nothing useful was found). This entire thread is useless. You've put some form of a bullshit review together because now he's delivered and you have to work with him as a vendor. So you're trying to be "nice" to patch things up. Also your original "review" post was... useless noone cared. 0 value.

If I was a vendor and had to deal with you I'd kick you to the curb.

• SululuSululu Member

That rack looks like it is about to tip over...any second now....

• @revo23sd said:

HDDs crashed after 1 day of use and all customers data was lost.

7/10

You're a very kind dude. Normal people would've rage over a complete data loss, yet you still give 7/10 score.

• @neurostimulant said:

@revo23sd said:

HDDs crashed after 1 day of use and all customers data was lost.

7/10

You're a very kind dude. Normal people would've rage over a complete data loss, yet you still give 7/10 score.

You get what you pay for. For exactly what it is, its a very good deal.
    If I lose all my tv shows and movies... I can just redownload

edited January 1

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jsg said: Cry me a river! How on earth could you have known how LET threads and posts work ... after creating only 10 threads, 8 of which btw. seem to have been put where they belong, the waste bin, uhm, deleted, and dozens of posts?

I'd like to agree and also say that it felt like @revo23sd 's shitty initial review was him basically indirectly threatening @Calin with "I'm going to leave you a bad public review unless you fix this".

Like... Just show it as what it is. Don't be a dick. Don't use "reviews" as threats to vendors unless it's really necessary (in which case what you've described is... nothing useful was found). This entire thread is useless. You've put some form of a bullshit review together because now he's delivered and you have to work with him as a vendor. So you're trying to be "nice" to patch things up. Also your original "review" post was... useless noone cared. 0 value.

You can think what you want... like most people in the world do. But know you are wrong.

There's nothing nice about a fully transparent review. It is made to be informative and show what to expect when buying from calin.

If this was "some form of a bullshit review" It wouldnt include the dataloss and the downsides of using it as a seedbox.

• @revo23sd said: You can think what you want... like most people in the world do. But know you are wrong.

lol k.

@revo23sd said: There's nothing nice about a fully transparent review. It is made to be informative and show what to expect when buying from calin.

If this was "some form of a bullshit review" It wouldnt include the dataloss and the downsides of using it as a seedbox.

I'm saying the steps you took to "make this review" and how half-assed is useless.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @HalfEatenPie said:

The initial review was indeed borderline threatening and could've been made later in a reasonable timeframe. Obviously these are busy days regardless of serious incidents like those what happened. I hope provider takes his rest and ages healthy.

What has been put in the review is the hard observations by OP. It can be useful for those considering the services and have a good idea what they will be buying. It could even serve as a use-case for provider like, look, it's all well documented and you can see me replying even when hell is on earth etc etc. Who the fuck are you to decide what people DONT care for

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 1

@lowenduser1 said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

The initial review was indeed borderline threatening and could've been made later in a reasonable timeframe. Obviously these are busy days regardless of serious incidents like those what happened. I hope provider takes his rest and ages healthy.

What has been put in the review is the hard observations by OP. It can be useful for those considering the services and have a good idea what they will be buying. It could even serve as a use-case for provider like, look, it's all well documented and you can see me replying even when hell is on earth etc etc. Who the fuck are you to decide what people DONT care for

I'm me and I get to decide what I don't care for. Just like you have the right to decide what you don't care for. I'm coming off a bit obtuse because the original poster came off obtuse. Also the fact that @revo23sd basically started the entire "review" was, literally in his words, to indirectly threaten the provider. The contents of the review really doesn't bring much value or new insights (in my opinion).

If you're going to give a review, give it at the end or the experience (which is what a review is). If you're going to write a thread with a bunch of N/A and "I'm waiting for this guy to get off his ass and I'm pissed" energy and with screenshots of him talking about posting on LET to the provider in private... Yeah that's a review or a reviewer I don't want to read or listen to because I don't have trust in the reviewer.

Edit: To make it easier. This is the thread I'm referencing: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/191471/my-review-of-ihostart-calin/p1

Please give this thread a read. He's basically threatening the vendor with a bad review and that previous thread was him starting with "This is the start of my review and I'm going to finish this one I get it." A review should just be done at the end of the interaction or once you have all the information available to satisfy the review. This post is just a final conclusion of that and fortunately it was an overall decent score (meaning Calin resolved it amicably), but the entire storyline @revo23sd took to get there is basically trying to threaten his way through.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@revo23sd said:

@thane said:

(a) shit happens. Probably more likely in basements than in a professional DC, but it happens there too, and big time (as in "'high-end' DC has one (1) single and unexperienced guy during the night and him and later their engineers do a whole clusterfuck series"). In fact there is a comparable case that is still going on as we speak and they do have a DC.
    (b) he said that he just had his 18th birthday. And now I say that I'm a Pharao and about 3000 years old. So fall on your knees! I've said it so it must be true ...
    (c) I can't find anything like a review from you. All I see is a strong desire for attention and a clueless guy calling his self-centered BS a "review".

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@lowenduser1 said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

I'm me and I get to decide what I don't care for. Just like you have the right to decide what you don't care for. I'm coming off a bit obtuse because the original poster came off obtuse. Also the fact that @revo23sd basically started the entire "review" was, literally in his words, to indirectly threaten the provider. The contents of the review really doesn't bring much value or new insights (in my opinion).

If you're going to give a review, give it at the end or the experience (which is what a review is). If you're going to write a thread with a bunch of N/A and "I'm waiting for this guy to get off his ass and I'm pissed" energy and with screenshots of him talking about posting on LET to the provider in private... Yeah that's a review or a reviewer I don't want to read or listen to because I don't have trust in the reviewer.

Edit: To make it easier. This is the thread I'm referencing: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/191471/my-review-of-ihostart-calin/p1

Please give this thread a read. He's basically threatening the vendor with a bad review and that previous thread was him starting with "This is the start of my review and I'm going to finish this one I get it." A review should just be done at the end of the interaction or once you have all the information available to satisfy the review. This post is just a final conclusion of that and fortunately it was an overall decent score (meaning Calin resolved it amicably), but the entire storyline @revo23sd took to get there is basically trying to threaten his way through.

Can you quote the literal texts where that happened? I re-read the entire threads. I do see @totally_not_banned make fake quotes and lots of @revo23sd "Im simply being transparent" defending himself against the community gangbanging

Thanked by 1revo23sd
  • CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
  • @lowenduser1 said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@lowenduser1 said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

Can you quote the literal texts where that happened? I re-read the entire threads. I do see @totally_not_banned make fake quotes and lots of @revo23sd "Im simply being transparent" defending himself against the community gangbanging

The thread existing as a whole. Mate, the fact that the review has N/As everywhere. Where the individual created the post 32 hours after purchase and, probably (and rightfully so) got frustrated with the delivery wait but felt insufficient resolution. But instead the individual decided to create that thread as a way of "sharpening the point" in public to apply pressure.

You're welcome to think of it any other way. But it's pretty straightforward for me. You might have different thresholds or you might want "oh he wrote that" like words someone painted on the walls saying "I murdered him". But you're not going to find that. You're welcome to think otherwise but overall and in my perspective (which can be different from yours or others), this guy basically was a dick.

A review is something you publish at the end. Not at the beginning with a bunch of NAs or "just wait to find out!". Publicly writing a "review" with NAs and "wait to hear more" is basically an indirect signal to the vendor to "prioritize me".

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @neurostimulant said:
    I do see @totally_not_banned make fake quotes and lots of @revo23sd "Im simply being transparent"

Common, i simply improved the storyline a little bit and i've already admitted that he didn't say that "shit sucks".

defending himself against the community gangbanging

Protip: You might take LET a little to serious.

Thanked by 1thane
  • One thing I have learnt today is this community is full of trolls that like to twist things to try and cause drama.
    Very amusing :D

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned