Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is blesta worth it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is blesta worth it?

2»

Comments

• Hostbill has a lot more than whmcs. Blesta is missing a lot from whmcs. Do you need everything whmcs has or will blesta cover it? Do you need more than whmcs can offer?

• @Wise said:
    Hostbill has a lot more than whmcs. Blesta is missing a lot from whmcs. Do you need everything whmcs has or will blesta cover it? Do you need more than whmcs can offer?

if hostbill had monthly subscriptions I would have gotten it :(

• @Wise said:
    Hostbill has a lot more than whmcs. Blesta is missing a lot from whmcs. Do you need everything whmcs has or will blesta cover it? Do you need more than whmcs can offer?

What more does HostBill have that WHMCS is missing? Is HostBill missing anything WHMCS has?

Why is WHMCS more popular than HostBill?

• As someone who works with both Blesta and Hostbill everyday, I choose user-friendly interface of Hostbill without doubt!

Thanked by 1meditatingsurgeon
  • this is what I rounded up, what do you think?
    https://i.e-z.host/78e0kbdr.png

• forgot to add a line at the end
    https://i.e-z.host/xuh90yz9.png

• @yusra said:
    As someone who works with both Blesta and Hostbill everyday, I choose user-friendly interface of Hostbill without doubt!

Does Blesta have any features that HostBill lacks?

Who don't you use HostBill for everything?

• @JosephF said: Does Blesta have any features that HostBill lacks?

Blesta can provide you with direct ways of querying the database in form of SQL commands (reports) which HostBill lacks. That might be a feature that one misses. But I personally prefer the API of HostBill (in terms of documentation and ease of use)

• @yusra said:

@JosephF said: Does Blesta have any features that HostBill lacks?

Blesta can provide you with direct ways of querying the database in form of SQL commands (reports) which HostBill lacks. That might be a feature that one misses. But I personally prefer the API of HostBill (in terms of documentation and ease of use)

And is Blesta missing anything that WHMCS has?

• instavpsinstavps Member, Patron Provider

It’s a billing system. Just compare whmcs hostbill and blesta and buy what best fits your needs.

• Used Blesta for a few years, ended up switching to Clientexec for primarily shared hosting. Clientexec works great, recall having a couple (minor) issues with Blesta. Never used WHMCS but I prefer to not be locked into monthly payments.

• get hosting from buyvm and get it free and host it on buyvm using subdomain billing.example.com

• I moved to clientexec. I also have blesta lifetime. But i moved to ClientExec due to some extra features & stability.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The CEO of Blesta (@pphillips) was interviewed on LowEndBox:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/an-anagram-of-stable-interview-with-paul-phillips-president-of-blesta/

The CEO of WHMCS was...nyah, they wouldn't give us the time of day.

• @ArrowBoi said:

@Wise said:

if hostbill had monthly subscriptions I would have gotten it :(

Hostbill does not offer monthly, but if you invest at hostbill is a one-time fee and thereafter first year will be $125 yearly for the upgrade of the release weekly.

• I like Blesta and that's my choice. As a developer for me is important to have a copy of the code.

• You can also see how big hosting providers like KnownHost are using Blesta. That speaks a lot.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

Its really a question what you prefer and need.

Each has their pro's and con's.

WHCMS was super popular, this gave/gives it a very large eco system. However just because there are many add-ons/plugins/modules, does not mean all of them are useful. Also volume alone does not speak to quality of every add-on.
    You also have a lot of code obfuscation with whcms (ioncube) and most of the addons. So you have a bit less transparency what is going on.

Personally i find WHCMS not very "admin"/office friendly. The way services are managed/billed can be a bit confusing at times. Especially if a client has a ton of services.
    Then again, i heard others find blesta/hostbill confusing....

Having worked with Hostbill...., it works well, is reliable and has a good amount of integrations. That said it also uses ioncube for obfuscation. The entry price may be a bit steep for some, but generally its a good product. If you need something then their support is fast and if you have issues/need stuff you can always pay for extra tickets.

Blesta is a very solid option as well. Personally i find it very "admin"/"office" friendly. Its easy to track serices/clients/.... and get a good feeling of service association and billing.....
    Most of the source is readable without obfuscation. The community around it is quite nice. From experience the developers tend listen to suggestions for improvement/feature requests if they make sense. The largest drawback for most, is that the eco-system for plugins/add-ons is a bit smaller compared to the other two options above.

• today is there a offer on blesta website...are you starting a new hosting business?

• WiseWise Member

@Hxxx said:
    You can also see how big hosting providers like KnownHost are using Blesta. That speaks a lot.

Not really. Click the link to buy shared hosting, you cannot buy a domain at the same time, you can only add one as a configurable option. You then have to go back and look for domain names to try and buy one and add to the cart. That’s one of the things I struggled with blesta, and got very little feedback as to how to resolve. Buying a hosting package along with a domain name, should be simple for non tech people to do.

You need to consider your target client and choose software that reflects that, not just what big hosts have.

• @ArrowBoi - have you looked at Upmind (upmind.com)? Their free tier allows white labelling for one brand, CNAME subdomains (I think unlimited) and two integrations (i.e. hosting and domain or 2xhosting).

• HxxxHxxx Member

I like it that way. Best practice is maintan domain and hosting in different providers.

@Wise said:

@Hxxx said:
    You can also see how big hosting providers like KnownHost are using Blesta. That speaks a lot.

Not really. Click the link to buy shared hosting, you cannot buy a domain at the same time, you can only add one as a configurable option. You then have to go back and look for domain names to try and buy one and add to the cart. That’s one of the things I struggled with blesta, and got very little feedback as to how to resolve. Buying a hosting package along with a domain name, should be simple for non tech people to do.

You need to consider your target client and choose software that reflects that, not just what big hosts have.

• WiseWise Member

@Hxxx said:
    I like it that way. Best practice is maintan domain and hosting in different providers.

@Wise said:

@Hxxx said:

your non tech customers wont - why would you deliberately allow a client to sign up to a package that they cannot use (if they dont have a domain) ? especially if you are asking the client to enter a name on signup, they would probably think its included

Thanked by 1JoseDieguez
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Because it is required to setup a hosting account. Is common practice.
    Even with WHMCS it is required.

One thing is domain registration another is web hosting. You are coming from the path of registering a domain then offering web hosting as addon, I'm sure that can be done. But always remember there is the other path where the customer just comes for the web hosting.