Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Billing - WHMCS vs Clientexec
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Billing - WHMCS vs Clientexec

Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone has switched from WHMCS to Clientexec?

i'm mainly looking at shared / reseller hosting and domain registrations.

Is clientexec worth a look in or is hosting and domain management still not great?

I'm starting fresh, have used whmcs back in the day but been out of the game since 2015.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Clientexec is good and user friendly, wish I had a use for it or I'd use it. If you haven't actually tried it out just setup a trial install. Also has a lot of payment gateways and module integrations.

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep

I too, used to use WHMCS from 2009-2022. Before I stopped using it, I got a free license for Blesta from BuyVM and a free license for ClientExec from RackNerd. I tried both and moved to ClientExec first, but now I use Blesta.

I've sold domains from eNom and Namecheap on WHMCS and ClientExec, and I haven't had issues on either. I've always found domain management annoying though, no matter the system, mostly because of how many TLDs there are. Also, being the middle-man comes with its issues, instead of using a registrar directly, it's adding a point of failure.

MikeA is right, ClientExec is user-friendly.

• sivesive Member, Host Rep

@SinSiXX said:
    I've always found domain management annoying though, no matter the system, mostly because of how many TLDs there are. Also, being the middle-man comes with its issues, instead of using a registrar directly, it's adding a point of failure.

Would you ever consider becoming ICANN Accredited so that there are lesser issues with going through someone else, if you've been doing this for a considerable amount of time I think that eventually the scale would make sense.

• @SinSiXX said:
    I too, used to use WHMCS from 2009-2022. Before I stopped using it, I got a free license for Blesta from BuyVM and a free license for ClientExec from RackNerd. I tried both and moved to ClientExec first, but now I use Blesta.

I've sold domains from eNom and Namecheap on WHMCS and ClientExec, and I haven't had issues on either. I've always found domain management annoying though, no matter the system, mostly because of how many TLDs there are. Also, being the middle-man comes with its issues, instead of using a registrar directly, it's adding a point of failure.

Why did you move to Blesta?

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2023

@sive said:

@SinSiXX said:
    I've always found domain management annoying though, no matter the system, mostly because of how many TLDs there are. Also, being the middle-man comes with its issues, instead of using a registrar directly, it's adding a point of failure.

Would you ever consider becoming ICANN Accredited so that there are lesser issues with going through someone else, if you've been doing this for a considerable amount of time I think that eventually the scale would make sense.

Yep, it does make sense.

@logixmedia said:

@SinSiXX said:

Why did you move to Blesta?

I should clarify, WHMCS to ClientExec was a move/import, but the reason I'm using Blesta now for hosting, is a new project, and I like it so far. It's been doing what I need it to do.

I had also gotten out of the business for a bit, but I keep finding myself coming back. Probably because I had gotten into hosting as a teenager, it's what I mostly know.

• @enhancedhost said:
    Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone has switched from WHMCS to Clientexec?

i'm mainly looking at shared / reseller hosting and domain registrations.

Is clientexec worth a look in or is hosting and domain management still not great?

I'm starting fresh, have used whmcs back in the day but been out of the game since 2015.

We might switch soon.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

I'd love nothing more than to switch from WHMCS, and be further outside of the webpros ecosystem (which in this case, includes SolusVM, WHMCS and cPanel) to something like Clientexec.

However, the main concern comes down to what will get broken, what features/functionality are missing (that could be a dealbreaker) and so on. It would save a fair bit of cash but at what cost to stability?

There's a lot of things I'd do differently if I were starting from scratch today, and whilst they're all achieveable, I don't fancy opening a can of worms without significant gain.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • @EthernetServers said:
    I'd love nothing more than to switch from WHMCS, and be further outside of the webpros ecosystem (which in this case, includes SolusVM, WHMCS and cPanel) to something like Clientexec.

However, the main concern comes down to what will get broken, what features/functionality are missing (that could be a dealbreaker) and so on. It would save a fair bit of cash but at what cost to stability?

There's a lot of things I'd do differently if I were starting from scratch today, and whilst they're all achieveable, I don't fancy opening a can of worms without significant gain.

+1

• Currently working on moving away from whmcs, not to Clientexec though

Thanked by 1tentor
  • @Wise said:
    Currently working on moving away from whmcs, not to Clientexec though

What are you looking to move to.

• Hopefully upmind, or I will resurrect our owned hostbill license

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Wise said:
    Hopefully upmind, or I will resurrect our owned hostbill license

Upmind looks amazing but its not self-hosted. That ruins the deal for me.

@upmind they're here btw.

• Clientexec is good but not as advanced as WHMCS

Thanked by 1host_c
  • When migrating from whmcs to clientexec or Blesta, do customers have to re-add their payment method, or does that transfer along?

• @thane said:
    When migrating from whmcs to clientexec or Blesta, do customers have to re-add their payment method, or does that transfer along?

If your using a tokenized payment gateway like PayPal or stripe it'll come across.

Thanked by 1thane
  • unfortunately clientexec is run like a passion project, the developers are slow at responding as it's clear its not their day job.. They have been working on their admin backend for over two years. Unfortunately everything seems to be in progress and unfinished.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • @MikePT said:

@Wise said:

I’m looking forward to not worrying about securing, making sure things are running correctly, hosting separately and doing upgrades ever again. It’s 100% not self hosted and the future.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

@Wise said:

@MikePT said:

@Wise said:

I’m looking forward to not worrying about securing, making sure things are running correctly, hosting separately and doing upgrades ever again. It’s 100% not self hosted and the future.

Limited module. You can't sell vps

• @mustafamw3 said:

@Wise said:

@MikePT said:

@Wise said:

Limited module. You can't sell vps

There are three modules for VPS including one module for reselling a known provider. If none of the suit, get one made :) we will be doing vps differently in our new cloud and don’t have an immediate need for integration with others.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

WHMCS started as a website billing platform, VPS and other were added along the way.

VPS provisioning was not on the table when writing the code initially, we providers see that in the "improvisations" we must do to make it work and from all those comes the need to switch to something that is VPS/DEDI friendly written.

Initially we did not see this, but, in time we realized, that either WHMCS will re-write it to be usable out of the box for hosting ( highly doubt it ), or we will have to move away to something alse ( probably ).

The more customers you have, the harder it will be to switch to something alse, the more locations you have, the more harder it will be, and there is a level where this is like almost impossible or does not make any sense.

And personally, I do not think WHMCS is responsible for the hatred, I put the blame on the modules that cannot handle this. WHMCS is a billing platform, provisioning is done by the modules, so the problem is rather on the later one.

EDIT:

I really do not get it why WHMCS, with it's huge client base does not make a product dedicated for HOSTING only, I mean, they have the team, they have the experience, and they have a lot of years in feedback, ah yeah, the customer base will actually switch instantly if they pull this off.

@Wise said:

@MikePT said:

@Wise said:

I'm worrying about controlling my data and create whatever modules I need, as well as changing its UI entirely.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

I first used WHMCS (few years ago) and the last 4 years I use CE. Never looked back...

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@NetDynamics24 said:
    I first used WHMCS (few years ago) and the last 4 years I use CE. Never looked back...

Can CE control Proxmox Nodes Provision? I am reading their web page, cannot see any info on that, but it might be me if i missed it, I am awake for 18 ours :smiley:

EDIT

just found it

• @MikePT said:

@Wise said:

@MikePT said:

@Wise said:

I'm worrying about controlling my data and create whatever modules I need, as well as changing its UI entirely.

Controlling data (ie export) is easy if that’s what you mean? Create whatever you like, open source it in GitHub? Changing UI at this moment in time wouldn’t be possible, but I beleive is on the roadmap

• Clientexec. if blesta improves their support, then blesta.

@Wise said:

@MikePT said:

@Wise said:

@MikePT said:

@Wise said:

Controlling data (ie export) is easy if that’s what you mean? Create whatever you like, open source it in GitHub? Changing UI at this moment in time wouldn’t be possible, but I beleive is on the roadmap

Yeah well. Unless they launch a self-hosted version I'll stick with whmcs... For now. Prices are increasing way too much.

• @MikePT said:

@Wise said:

@MikePT said:

@Wise said:

@MikePT said:

@Wise said:

Yeah well. Unless they launch a self-hosted version I'll stick with whmcs... For now. Prices are increasing way too much.

Absolutely, everyone has their preferred route. For me the saas option solves many things that allow me to concentrate on others (eventually once I sort our new cloud out!!)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • We tried to switch from WHMCS to Blesta and Clientexec but unfortunately it doesn't work like WHMCS at all we switched back to WHMCS after few months

• @host_c said:
    WHMCS started as a website billing platform, VPS and other were added along the way.

VPS provisioning was not on the table when writing the code initially, we providers see that in the "improvisations" we must do to make it work and from all those comes the need to switch to something that is VPS/DEDI friendly written.

Initially we did not see this, but, in time we realized, that either WHMCS will re-write it to be usable out of the box for hosting ( highly doubt it ), or we will have to move away to something alse ( probably ).

The more customers you have, the harder it will be to switch to something alse, the more locations you have, the more harder it will be, and there is a level where this is like almost impossible or does not make any sense.

And personally, I do not think WHMCS is responsible for the hatred, I put the blame on the modules that cannot handle this. WHMCS is a billing platform, provisioning is done by the modules, so the problem is rather on the later one.

EDIT:

I really do not get it why WHMCS, with it's huge client base does not make a product dedicated for HOSTING only, I mean, they have the team, they have the experience, and they have a lot of years in feedback, ah yeah, the customer base will actually switch instantly if they pull this off.

I agree.
    I’d love to hear about something like Clientexec but open source, with some kind of enterprise licenses like the ones Proxmox VE has.

• @c1vhosting said:
    I agree.
    I’d love to hear about something like Clientexec but open source, with some kind of enterprise licenses like the ones Proxmox VE has.

FOSSBilling?