Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turkey Bans 16 VPN Providers - Who Do You Use in .TR?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Turkey Bans 16 VPN Providers - Who Do You Use in .TR?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

https://lowendbox.com/blog/turkey-tightens-the-screws-16-vpn-providers-banned/

Among the VPN providers banned include Proton VPN, Surfshark VPN, IPVanish and CyberGhost VPN.

Comments

• windscribe

• When I went to turkey I had a nightmare visiting normal websites, a lot of websites are blocked, I’m taking about the hotels internet they use the same firewall for all hotels and you have to opt-in to be monitored too

• Bagimsiz (Turkish VPN) or Meile

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited December 2023

Cloudflare Warp. It actually does quite a good job as long as your ISP is Superonline which routes around Cloudflare's Istanbul colo over onto Budapest or Vienna via Lumen. Don't know why SOL would refuse to peer Cloudflare so the traffic would be exchanged in Istanbul without having to go through IP transit, but it serves good regardless.

Vodafone and Türk Telekom, two other major ISPs in Turkey, hits Istanbul though which means depending on the upstream that Cloudflare uses in Istanbul the traffic can get filtered. They use Türk Telekom's parent AS6663 for the same traffic which follows suit on bans, and Seabone for Vodafone having unrestricted access.

Lesser scale ISPs, OTOH, are less as strict on this matter.

• balhostbalhost Member, Host Rep

Like @0xbkt mentioned, WARP works fine also not all providers so strict about this, there is difference between TurkNet TürkTelekom Superonline etc.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

When a country selectively bans VPN providers I’m instantly skeptical of the ones they didn’t

• @jar said:
    When a country selectively bans VPN providers I’m instantly skeptical of the ones they didn’t

I mean, it at least seems like they didn't block mullvad. So it might just be Erdogan quickly looking at a 150% sponsored "Best VPNs of 2025" article from vpn-tech-2020.biz.

Thanked by 3jar emgh homelabber
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

"Who Do You Use in .TR?"

That is an easy one, Repuc

@jar said: When a country selectively bans VPN providers I’m instantly skeptical of the ones they didn’t

And I am curios what happens next? Banning VPN, is trying to limit access to information ( not all use it for OnlyFans ), and as you said, "see" what the users search thru the ones under "your control"

Thanked by 2remy shruub
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2023

@raindog308

Not that I see a lot of sense in a Turkey VPN (for people not living there), but if I wanted/needed one I'd ask my VPS provider there (@awmbilisim) if they allow their VPS to be used for (private) VPN.

@host_c

Excellent choice! *g
    You might want to add another VPN on hxservers, just to be safe.

P.S. Could one of the turkish (and living there) providers or users maybe provide some insight into why your government is "cleaning out" so many VPN providers?

Thanked by 1host_c
  • Sad when large countries with a rather big population is being ran by a moronic monkey govt.

• Brothers we must return fire and ban all turkeys.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • If it was just for regular web browsing, I would imagine a simple WireGuard VPN with any LE host would be the best option?

• i use @repuc for scam and circumvent

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @jsg said: Could one of the turkish (and living there) providers or users maybe provide some insight into why your government is "cleaning out" so many VPN providers?

Most VPN providers are American or close to it. No one thinks that because of the political situation in the world someone does not want personal data to be tracked by other side.

Shared VPN is the best way to keep track. Logs, etc

Thanked by 2jsg yamato81
  • Why not selfhost what you do know that is yours only and works everyday?

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@yusra said:
    Why not selfhost what you do know that is yours only and works everyday?

I think VPN services have two benefits:

1. Large IP pool
    2. No need to manage server yourself (take my money and give me a config!)
  • The west tried to blocks anything related to Russia Belarus and other loyal countries. The east, in its turn, also blocks what is connected with some aggressive western countries. So parity. What's the problem?

• @jenkki said:
    The west tried to blocks anything related to Russia Belarus and other loyal countries. The east, in its turn, also blocks what is connected with some aggressive western countries. So parity. What's the problem?

Hello I'm @jenkki and while people talk about thinking in multiple steps, I'm struggling with the first one.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ shruub
  • jenkkijenkki Member
    edited December 2023

@emgh said: I'm struggling with the first one.

Turkey is one of the few that withdrew the entire gold reserve from the US National Reserve Bank a few years ago. Why do you think that is?

Paypal is blocked in Turkey. Why do you think that is?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2023

@jenkki said:

@emgh said: I'm struggling with the first one.

Turkey is one of the few that withdrew the entire gold reserve from the US National Reserve Bank a few years ago. Why do you think that is?

USD/TRY -- 3.1 in Nov 2017
    USD/TRY -- 28.1 in Nov 2023

See the magical effect of that in 6 years.

Tell me any other major country whose currency has taken 9 times dip in 6 years.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited December 2023

@jar said:

Exactly. I was looking for the full list of 16 to figure out more but never found it.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @tentor said: No need to manage server yourself (take my money and give me a config!)

More like: take my money and give my DNS data to whoever you like!

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@yusra said:

@tentor said: No need to manage server yourself (take my money and give me a config!)

More like: take my money and give my DNS data to whoever you like!

Bruh, you already have DoH/DoT/DNScrypt, just use whoever you trust (or selfhost the recursive resolver)

• @dev_vps said: Tell me any other major country whose currency has taken 9 times dip in 6 years.

So you're saying it's some kind of punishment for taking out their gold reserve and the US Bank?

• @jenkki said:

@dev_vps said: Tell me any other major country whose currency has taken 9 times dip in 6 years.

So you're saying it's some kind of punishment for taking out their gold reserve and the US Bank?

This is just one of many decisions taken by leadership without strategic thinking.
    Nature's law is clear -- action has consequences

Think, what possibly are the reasons why Afghanistan's currency is performing lot better than Pakistan and Turkey?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @jenkki said:

Most European countries moved their gold reserves to USA or UK close to WW2 events and after USSR fallen they decided to move gold back, because there is no big war threat and they don't sell/exchange a lot. Netherlands, Poland, Germany, Hungary... Some earlier, some later.

For example Germany https://www.bundesbank.de/en/tasks/topics/bundesbank-completes-transfer-of-gold-from-new-york-647150

So "Why do you think that is?" - because gold reserves in country equal more trust, but gold reserves in big financial points such as London or NY make it was easier to exchange it.

• @jenkki said:

@dev_vps said: Tell me any other major country whose currency has taken 9 times dip in 6 years.

This is a punishment for having too much money in circulation, caused mainly by bad taxation system and completely irrational interest rates.

https://tradingeconomics.com/turkey/interest-rate click on "5Y" range and see this rollercoaster. Hafize Gaye Erkan got into office and decided to boost interest rate to 40%. Not by 40%, but TO 40%. Such crazy solutions just explain how things fucked up were before.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@AXYZE said:

@jenkki said:

Most European countries moved their gold reserves to USA or UK close to WW2 events and after USSR fallen they decided to move gold back, because there is no big war threat and they don't sell/exchange a lot. Netherlands, Poland, Germany, Hungary... Some earlier, some later.

For example Germany https://www.bundesbank.de/en/tasks/topics/bundesbank-completes-transfer-of-gold-from-new-york-647150

Unfortunate example. Actually the linked article said that they have a bit less than half of their gold within Germany. The larger part stayed in the two anglo-saxon (former) power countries.

So "Why do you think that is?" - because gold reserves in country equal more trust, but gold reserves in big financial points such as London or NY make it was easier to exchange it.

(a) gold a country doesn't have physical control over, i.e. that's outside the country, does not create a lot of trust.
    (b) So you mean "german [or anyone else's] gold in another country = no problem at all -but- any country's gold in another country = more difficult to exchange it"?
    (c) Frankfurt afaik know is the EU's official "money city", so why would gold stored there be somehow less easy to transfer?

Btw, the USSR didn't fall in 2016 or 2013, so I have doubts that that really was the trigger to "bring the gold home".

@AXYZE said:

@jenkki said:

This is a punishment for having too much money in circulation, caused mainly by bad taxation system and completely irrational interest rates.

https://tradingeconomics.com/turkey/interest-rate click on "5Y" range and see this rollercoaster. Hafize Gaye Erkan got into office and decided to boost interest rate to 40%. Not by 40%, but TO 40%. Such crazy solutions just explain how things fucked up were before.

Yeah, them Turks really are crazy people who raise interest rates immensely just for the fun of it. Obviously there was no reason like e.g. "international" (read us-american and their vassal) banksters and politsters playing dirty games with Turkey ...

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2023

@jsg said:
    (a) gold a country doesn't have physical control over, i.e. that's outside the country, does not create a lot of trust.
    (b) So you mean "german [or anyone else's] gold in another country = no problem at all -but- any country's gold in another country = more difficult to exchange it"?

You have more trust if you have gold in "your country".

It is easier to exchange gold if you put it in financial points INSTEAD of "your country".

You are arguing with something you made up yourself.

Btw, the USSR didn't fall in 2016 or 2013, so I have doubts that that really was the trigger to "bring the gold home".

Sorry, I cant take you seriously with this take. Just transferring gold took 5 years (was supposed to take 7), yet you would want to do whole process of unifing two economic systems (Germany was divided, remember that...), risk managment, forming monetary strategy with EU, planning within year. Maybe right when they were changing currency to euro? Be realistic. There was no time before.

Gold was transferred because of Russians and came back because of Russians.

Thinking that USA is destroying Turkey economy because they taken their gold is just... I mean... sorry, no proper words. Other countries did that too. Nothing major happened.

Yeah, them Turks really are crazy people who raise interest rates immensely just for the fun of it.

Are you playing some game where everything I said you take as opposite? They LOWERED interest rate for too long when markets that they are dependent on had inflation. Same mistake that Poland made and everybody now agrees on (now in Poland we will have investigation from new government about this political-driven mistake with interest rate). But Poland didnt do this rollercoaster, just reacted too slow and then fixed issue.

You cant fix international investor trust by rollercoastering such major things and not reacting to market.

Hafize Gaye Erkan saw this mistake and she boosed interest rate to 40%, because theres no other way now. Only shock therapy can save country ran by lazy people that are in government for way too long and think theyre untouchable. This is a real problem of Turkey and many other countries (also for US where Dem/Rep duopoly will remain forever)

If they will fix their taxation (you can lookup OECD taxiation ratio as nice start to see where money is coming from and where you have big hole, in terms of Turkey big hole is personal tax) as a next step then suprise suprise, Turkey economy will slowly repair itself. With no help from USA or whoever else.

• @dev_vps said: This is just one of many decisions taken by leadership without strategic thinking.

This strategic decision came after the first attempt to block accounts from a prominent neighboring country in 2014. After that, the Turkish leadership decided to withdraw its gold assets as it stopped trusting those who did it once before

It is a pity that the leadership of this neighboring country also did not make a strategic decision to withdraw its assets from the same country two years ago. In the end, everyone has what they have.

Now the leader of yet another neighboring country is claiming these assets held by another country

It's just the way it is.