Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porkbun silently suspended my domain - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Porkbun silently suspended my domain

Comments

• @alexroeu said:
    I posted in an earlier reply the domain and also the content of the html index file, please check my earlier replies.

Seems like they suspended since they were unable to verify identity. "Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source on 15-Oct-2023
    " More info: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/10137/46/why-uk-domain-data-validation-is-so-important/

whois stanescu.uk

Domain name:
            stanescu.uk

Data validation:
            Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source on 15-Oct-2023

Thanked by 2SinV bikegremlin
  • The registration procedure was the same as for all my uk domains that I registered in the past, with the same contact info. I never received any emails requesting any kind of identity verification, the only emails regarding this domain was the payment confirmation and the email announcing that the domain was registered. The same data validation notification appear also in the whois of mx4.uk, another uk domain registered by myself in 2021 that it's not suspended.

• @alexroeu said:
    The registration procedure was the same as for all my uk domains that I registered in the past, with the same contact info. I never received any emails requesting any kind of identity verification, the only emails regarding this domain was the payment confirmation and the email announcing that the domain was registered. The same data validation notification appear also in the whois of mx4.uk, another uk domain registered by myself in 2021 that it's not suspended.

Was the email in stanescu.uk whois records your current one or some dummy email address? Email could have been sent there.

Anyway, no one here can resolve this issue. Contact porkbun support is the only choice. They may ask for identity proof. Seems like it is better to just avoid *.uk TLD

• I always use correct and real contact info. I already contacted pork bun support, I just wait the weekend to be over, they don't offer support outside business hours.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @varwww said:
    What was the suspended domain? I wonder if it's related to some copyright claim.

They don't really need a reason. I had a domain suspended but it's only pointing to several A records to record my VPS IP addresses. :#

So, I can't say all the Porkbun teams but at least their abuse teams are all with pigs heads.

• Porkbun ❌
    Porkban ✅

Thanked by 3sillycat emgh op23
  • @alexroeu said:
    I always use correct and real contact info. I already contacted pork bun support, I just wait the weekend to be over, they don't offer support outside business hours.

Please keep us posted.
    This does sound concerning.

Relja

• Having 20 domains with them for years, never had a problem
    like the feature to delete a domain even before time runs out

• Before this problem I had about 30 domains with porkbun and since 2019 I had no problem, but now...

• @varwww said:
    Anyway, no one here can resolve this issue. Contact porkbun support is the only choice. They may ask for identity proof. Seems like it is better to just avoid *.uk TLD

Porkbun cut off his service during the weekend when they were closed, with no recourse in contacting them to reconnect the service or even to find out why they did this with no warning.

• Tagging @eddie_at_porkbun - maybe he cares to explain their version about what happened.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin alexroeu
  • I have 50+ domains with Porkbun, they have always been pretty good, I can't recall any issues. Mostly .UK .co.uk and .com domains with them. Interesting to see the reasoning of suspension.
    I have had domains with them for several years - never had to contact support so I can't speak about the support.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited December 2023

@tdwuk said:
    I have 50+ domains with Porkbun, they have always been pretty good, I can't recall any issues. Mostly .UK .co.uk and .com domains with them. Interesting to see the reasoning of suspension.
    I have had domains with them for several years - never had to contact support so I can't speak about the support.

I've had great experience with Porkbun - including the support (though my last support contact was a few years ago).

Moved most of my domains to Porkbun (including a .uk domain) thanks to the great experience (and reasonable pricing).

Really interested to hear Porkbun comment on this should they make one.

Relja

Thanked by 1adly
  • alexroeualexroeu Member
    edited December 2023

Porkbun support replied stating that my domain was suspended because my contact info failed Nominet's contact validation, and that they notified me on October 17 about this situation by email, an email that I did not received. They unsuspended my domain and requested to re-confirm the contact details from the domain whois. And this is my reply that I sent to them:

Hello,

thank you for your reply.

I have not received any notification regarding my contact validation while the email address email@address listed in the domain whois is a functional and monitored email address. I think that before taking such a drastic action as suspending my domain it would have been helpful to give me a heads up. As far as I know, other registrars (like Namecheap) notify multiple times in such cases, and they don't rely on a single email which might be lost in a spam filter somewhere on the route to destination. We are talking about suspending a domain, that can have devastating effects on a business. Luckily it was not the case in this particular situation of mine.

I think you noticed that in those 4 years since I got the first domain from you, there was no complains regarding any of my domains, my contact info, my websites, my payments or my account. And with this profile of mine, you suspended my domain just because I did not received one validation email.

However, noticing how easy it is to have the domain silently suspended here at Porkbun, I am not taking the risk to continue to use Porkbun as a registrar for the rest of the domains that I use. Regarding the stanescu.uk domain, I no longer need it so there's no need for any validation in the future.

Thank you,

Thanked by 2SinV maverick
  • You are barking wrong tree. If it's Nominet that suspended your domain Porkbun has nothing to do with it - Nominet is above them.

Thanked by 3Erisa bikegremlin nick_
  • Send bobs to unlock domain

• eddie_at_porkbuneddie_at_porkbun Member, Host Rep

So first off, we are open on the weekends and have been for the last three years, I should know as I was one of the first weekend support workers back then. That includes, chat, phone, and email.

Nominet, the registry for .uk, is the one making these registration data checks. They email us, we email the registrant for the domain letting them know they have 30 days to come into compliance with the registry. After 30 days we have to suspend per our agreement to service .uk through Nominet.

As far as I can see, we did forward this on to the registrant email. Unfortunately it looks like one of your emails is also sending a bounce, making it look like we can't reach you.

• @eddie_at_porkbun said:
    So first off, we are open on the weekends and have been for the last three years, I should know as I was one of the first weekend support workers back then. That includes, chat, phone, and email.

Nominet, the registry for .uk, is the one making these registration data checks. They email us, we email the registrant for the domain letting them know they have 30 days to come into compliance with the registry. After 30 days we have to suspend per our agreement to service .uk through Nominet.

As far as I can see, we did forward this on to the registrant email. Unfortunately it looks like one of your emails is also sending a bounce, making it look like we can't reach you.

This should be noted as a alert or status change on the admin panel. Per @alexroeu , even when logging into the account, they doesn't seem to be any notification/messaging that would alert him of the issue.

As a result, with email as the only source of letting the user know, if it fails, the user won't know anything even when logging into their Porkbun account.

Thanked by 3adly emgh coreflux
  • In this case, maybe you can write a little script that can notify your clients multiple times if such situation appear. Just like Namecheap:

quote: "For the .uk domains that did not pass the automatic data validation, Nominet (the registry) asks the domain registrar (that’s us) to have the data verified manually. For this, you need to provide the document(s) that can confirm your name, organization name, and/or address.

Receiving the "30 days left till Data Quality Lock" email from us means that Nominet has been unable to validate your name, organization name, and/or address against a 3rd party data sources.

Additional email reminders are sent on the 27th, 15th, and 3rd day, following receipt of the 30-day email."

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

Why only one notification prior to suspension?

Nominet doesn't preclude you from making multiple attempts to reach out to your customers. Especially considering that a single email can easily not reach its target due to no fault of either side.

• eddie_at_porkbuneddie_at_porkbun Member, Host Rep

@Moopah said:

@eddie_at_porkbun said:

This should be noted as a alert or status change on the admin panel. Per @alexroeu , even when logging into the account, they doesn't seem to be any notification/messaging that would alert him of the issue.

As a result, with email as the only source of letting the user know, if it fails, the user won't know anything even when logging into their Porkbun account.

I can suggest it to our dev team, it's still the registrant's responsibility to maintain their contact information regardless per ICANN. Do you have an example of a registrar that offers account notifications like this?

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @Moopah said:

@eddie_at_porkbun said:

Regery.com has such alerts

Thanked by 1eddie_at_porkbun
  • It will save support time/resources as well, because customers can be provided instructions to fix the issue from their Porkbun account website.

• alexroeualexroeu Member
    edited December 2023

This is how Regery notify you that there's a problem that need to be addressed: https://imgur.com/a/A3khlud

That popup does not go away until you click close or open it to see what is the problem. Also, If you did not resolve the problem, even if you close it, next time when you log into your account the popup is still there.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @eddie_at_porkbun said:

The chat was not working yesterday, the email I sent you for support was from the chat form. Also, as I mentioned, my contacts are correct, the email is functional, that's why it might be helpful to follow namecheap example and send multiple emails.

• Stumbled upon this thread and started to get concerned reading through. I also have several domains with porkbun and would also probably feel slighted if one of my domains was suspended without notice. Good that things were clarified and hopefully this means improvements in Porkbun's forwarding of registrar emails as well as their disclaimers on their own site about this stuff. Hope all works out!

• Their chat: ”If outside our standard office hours (Mon - Fri, 6 AM - 5 PM PST; Sat - Sun, 9 AM - 5 PM PST), we'll respond within 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.”

No, an answer within 24 hours isn’t chatting. That’s stretching the truth A LOT and you know it @eddie_at_porkbun

Thanked by 1adly
  • I think Porkbun need to do more to notify customers if there is an issue. As mentioned, a prompt when logging in or multiple emails.
    It will save having threads like this and it will save support time.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

A pretty common situation is when the registry suspends the domain name and users blame the service provider for the situation. And the resolution of the situation is very easy - working email and real credentials. In many situations, when users contact about suspended domains, and the resolution is just one link click in an email, which is already in the inbox.

Service providers and registries do not suspend domains for nothing.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

Other than bad contact/whois info, when else would the registry mandate domain suspension? It is very rare, I reckon.