Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Netcup so cheap?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How is Netcup so cheap?

malcommerlynmalcommerlyn Member
edited December 2023 in Providers

Over the past couple of weeks, I attempted to sign up for Hetzner but unfortunately, they have blocked me despite providing my ID. Instead of getting frustrated, I decided to look for an alternative and came across a few options, including Netcup.

Following the suggestions from this forum, I decided to give it a try and registered to the website. I was aware that I would need to go through a verification process, which included submitting my ID, electricity bill, and a selfie. The process was similar to Hetzner's, except for the addition of the selfie requirement.

After a day, my account and order were approved. I subscribed to the "RS 1000 G9.5" machine for €11.76, and so far, I am pleased with the service with the internet speed, reaching up to 1.6 Gbps.

My question is, how is Netcup able to offer such cheap pricing, even lower than Hetzner?

Here are the specifications I received.
AMD EPYC™ 7702 (max. 3.35 GHz per core)
8GB DDR4
160 GB SSD

What's the catch here?

Are the hardware components outdated?

Comments

• harrisonharrison Member
    edited December 2023

Accumulations of one time "setup fees"? :p

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2023

@malcommerlyn
    I am running Windows Server 2019 OS on 1 €/month machine

• @dev_vps said:
    @malcommerlyn
    I am running Windows Server 2019 OS on 1 €/month machine

Can you please suggest a decent VPS provider in Germany that is even cheaper than this one?

• netcup they need id too and i think vps are using contracts for months to take tha price

• I've used them for stuff before. Never had downtime and they respond to tickets fast too.

• @malcommerlyn said: What's the catch here?

I might be wrong, but I don't think Netcup offer NVMe storage in their entry-level VPS plans, whereas Hetzner Cloud does.

• Netcup is a very big hoster which was bought by anexia (austrian company) some while ago. They earn through the quantity sold, the revenue for a single product is low. Since they sold to anexia they also offer vienna as location.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Have a root server (VDS) with them since years. No problem and support that is, actual humans, are even reachable by phone.

Plus: really decent and fast VDS (w/current processor) and good support.
    Minus: bureaucratic and not flexible, even with existing customers.

TL;DR I wouldn't give up my VDS because it's really good and cheap, but I wouldn't recommend them because they're so inflexible and bureaucratic.

How do they do it? High automation, lowish profit per product, sheer quantity I guess.

Thanked by 2adns malcommerlyn
  • @malcommerlyn said: I attempted to sign up for Hetzner but unfortunately, they have blocked me despite providing my ID. Instead of getting frustrated, I decided to look for an alternative and came across a few options, including Netcup.

For the same reason, I bought the RS2000 plan, and to my surprise, their server is really good, and my script is performing excellently compared to the last host.

Main Con: Customers have to inform them 31 days in advance if they want to cancel the hosting. (For me, it is fine.)

Thanked by 1Void
  • @dev_vps said: I am running Windows Server 2019 OS on 1 €/month machine

Can you provide more details? I'm also looking for a windows VPS

• Until they remove the obligation to share our ID with them i cant order there , but i vouch for their services.

• @deepsgo said:

@dev_vps said: I am running Windows Server 2019 OS on 1 €/month machine

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=3407 should be the one

Thanked by 1deepsgo
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited December 2023

IO is the corner they cut - thin provisioning + CoW across the board. Throughput (YABS) looks good but the tail latency, especially measured over a day or two, is worse than HDD and by far the worst of any VPS I have ever used

If your use case can handle Netcup, consider https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=111 instead

• @deepsgo said:

I would recommend using this VPS if you are planning to use Windows Server OS

2 €/month
    12 month commitment, monthly billing

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=3408

• 2 vCore
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 60 GB SSD
    Thanked by 1deepsgo
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

@dev_vps said:

@deepsgo said:

2 €/month

• 2 vCore
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 60 GB SSD

Why this one (rather than the one you have)?

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

@shruub said:

@deepsgo said:

https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=3407 should be the one

Product not available
    The product is currently sold out

@dev_vps said:

@deepsgo said:

2 €/month

• 2 vCore
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 60 GB SSD

Product not available
    The product is currently sold out

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2023

@josephf said:

@dev_vps said:

@deepsgo said:

2 €/month

• 2 vCore
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 60 GB SSD

Not everyone knows how to effectively run Windows Server OS in just 1 GB ram

That is why I recommend 2 vCore and 2 GB memory.

• @dev_vps said:

@josephf said:

@dev_vps said:

@deepsgo said:

2 €/month

• 2 vCore
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 60 GB SSD

Yes but there CPU is bad for 1$ or 2$ VPSs, I get 320 G6 score.

• @bikrama said:

@dev_vps said:

@josephf said:

@dev_vps said:

@deepsgo said:

2 €/month

• 2 vCore
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 60 GB SSD

Not really sometimes, it is actually Xeon Gold or EPYC on IONOS.

• @alt_ said:

@bikrama said:

@dev_vps said:

@josephf said:

@dev_vps said:

@deepsgo said:

2 €/month

• 2 vCore
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 60 GB SSD

I was saying about netcup, I have bought a vps from them and have a bad cpu.

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited December 2023

@bikrama said:

@alt_ said:

@bikrama said:

@dev_vps said:

@josephf said:

@dev_vps said:

@deepsgo said:

2 €/month

• 2 vCore
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 60 GB SSD

I was saying about netcup, I have bought a vps from them and have a bad cpu.

Ok, better go with their Root-server.

• @darkimmortal said:
    IO is the corner they cut - thin provisioning + CoW across the board. Throughput (YABS) looks good but the tail latency, especially measured over a day or two, is worse than HDD and by far the worst of any VPS I have ever used

If your use case can handle Netcup, consider https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=111 instead

As someone who is not tech-savvy, how can I effectively make these comparisons and determine if the machine is worth the money?

• malcommerlynmalcommerlyn Member
    edited December 2023

@jsg said:
    Have a root server (VDS) with them since years. No problem and support that is, actual humans, are even reachable by phone.

TL;DR I wouldn't give up my VDS because it's really good and cheap, but I wouldn't recommend them because they're so inflexible and bureaucratic.

How do they do it? High automation, lowish profit per product, sheer quantity I guess.

Could you recommend a decent VPS provider in a similar price range that offers less bureaucracy and is more user-friendly in EU except Hetzner of course?

• @malcommerlyn said:
    Could you recommend a decent VPS provider in a similar price range that offers less bureaucracy and is more user-friendly in EU except Hetzner of course?

Alwyzon Virtual Server E+
    https://www.alwyzon.com/

Thanked by 1malcommerlyn
  • @malcommerlyn said:

@jsg said:

@Clouvider
    @mxmla Server Factory

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@malcommerlyn said:

@jsg said:

Unfortunately not. I mean some come to mind, e.g. @terrahost or @LiteServer but I'm not sure they have VDS (as opposed to VPS). From Contabo / @contabo_m I do know that they have VDS but (a) at about double the price of netcup, and (b) some here strongly dislike Contabo.

Generally speaking I would advise non-Europeans to prefer other providers over german ones; there are, of course, welcoming and easy going ones too, but generally it seems that Germany is by far the most bureaucratic of the european countries (german providers aren't natural born a__holes but have to cope with the bureaucracy and quite a few do that by implementing their own version of bureaucracy).

So, sorry, but I have no concrete provider tip for VDS providers for you (in part because I don't care much about VDS except for business).

• @jsg said:

@malcommerlyn said:

@jsg said:

Unfortunately not. I mean some come to mind, e.g. @terrahost or @LiteServer but I'm not sure they have VDS (as opposed to VPS). From Contabo / @contabo_m I do know that they have VDS but (a) at about double the price of netcup, and (b) some here strongly dislike Contabo.

Generally speaking I would advise non-Europeans to prefer other providers over german ones; there are, of course, welcoming and easy going ones too, but generally it seems that Germany is by far the most bureaucratic of the european countries (german providers aren't natural born a__holes but have to cope with the bureaucracy and quite a few do that by implementing their own version of bureaucracy).

So, sorry, but I have no concrete provider tip for VDS providers for you (in part because I don't care much about VDS except for business).

Contabo would be ok if it weren't for their ridiculously low IO limits

• @Clouvider,

How is this possible mate? Both from NY

VPS from Clouvider

VPS from DigitalOcean

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

We probably have substantially less markup on this ;-).
    If you like our introductory pricing we would appreciate an order ❤️❤️❤️

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2023

@malcommerlyn said:
    @Clouvider,

How is this possible mate? Both from NY

VPS from Clouvider
    $12.15 per month
    4 vCore / 8 GB / 160 GB / NYC

VPS from DigitalOcean
    $48 per month
    4 vCore / 8 GB / 160 GB / NYC