Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZeptoMail vs MXroute
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ZeptoMail vs MXroute

I am considering switching my current mail provider for transactional emails, and I have narrowed down my options to mxroute and ZeptoMail by Zoho. Zoho Mail is notably cost-effective, priced at less than $2 for 10,000 emails (valid for 6 months), which seems quite reasonable. As I've recently started and don't have many customers yet, even 500 emails per month would suffice for my current needs. My main priority is comparing these services based on their features and reliability. Please share your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Mxroute deliverability is better than zoho product. And support. You can nag @jar for 5$\year.

Thanked by 2jar maverickp
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

MXroute runs most of its infra with QuickPacket now, so I'm a little biased, but @jar is good people. I don't know anything about the other provider.

One advantage of MXroute is you can definitely bribe @jar with Taco Bell. Bonus points if you incorporate Taylor Swift somehow.

• Mxroute every day and night.

Thanked by 1jar
  • If anyone can compare PurelyMail to the providers discussed in the OP above, I'd love to hear your comparisons.

• @qps said:
    MXroute runs most of its infra with QuickPacket now, so I'm a little biased, but @jar is good people. I don't know anything about the other provider.

@qps is good people too. lol. @jar is the kind of nerd that once you get to know him, you would trust your whole Email life on him.

So yes, go with MXRoute. I'm always biased when MXRoute is related to the topic.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I'm using both. ZeptoMail for Discourse (transactional email) and MXRoute for personal. The price of $2 with validity for 6 months is affordable for me.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I’ve been told Zoho has more problems with IP blacklisting and that they don’t do anything to work around it, meaning if an email is rejected due to their IP rep, they won’t try to resend from another IP. They may have changed that, it’s just the last I heard.

But don’t think I’m trying to trash talk a competitor, Zoho has some of the most amazing software suites I’ve ever seen, and very fair pricing. When I’ve seen abuse from their network, they responded and dealt with it very quickly. They had some rough times with a DDOS and bounced back stronger than ever. I would kill to be selling half of the front end product that they are. I only claim that my outbound delivery is likely better, but that’s because that’s what I care most about.

Thanked by 3mikei kainjinez 0xC7

@rooted said:
    I'm using both. ZeptoMail for Discourse (transactional email) and MXRoute for personal. The price of $2 with validity for 6 months is affordable for me.

If you ever think about bringing that Discourse over, talk to me about sending limit whitelisting. Discourse is really great about its email features, I’m completely down for taking them on.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @jar said:

@rooted said:
    I'm using both. ZeptoMail for Discourse (transactional email) and MXRoute for personal. The price of $2 with validity for 6 months is affordable for me.

If you ever think about bringing that Discourse over, talk to me about sending limit whitelisting. Discourse is really great about its email features, I’m completely down for taking them on.

@jar I am in the same boat as the OP. My zoho account was approved yesterday & i bought mxroute this black friday. I had first intended to fully put all transactional emails on mxroute but later i read that any promotional email going from the website via mxroute like a monthly newsletter or a black friday offer wudnt be allowed. Now this puts me in a predicament. Like it wud be difficult for me to go in the website and separate different outgoing routes for signup,forgot pwd,etc & newsletter/promotional stuff, come back to the cart coupons. Its just additional technical burden on top of the development work and I am already only getting 4-5 hours of sleep in a day :s I wish I cud just send all the website email and that there was an upper limit say by the number of emails sent per week/month at mxroute rather than disallowing promotional email. Of course i am only referring to users who double co opted for such mail including promotions.

@raza19 said:

@jar said:

@rooted said:

@jar I am in the same boat as the OP. My zoho account was approved yesterday & i bought mxroute this black friday. I had first intended to fully put all transactional emails on mxroute but later i read that any promotional email going from the website via mxroute like a monthly newsletter or a black friday offer wudnt be allowed. Now this puts me in a predicament. Like it wud be difficult for me to go in the website and separate different outgoing routes for signup,forgot pwd,etc & newsletter/promotional stuff, come back to the cart coupons. Its just additional technical burden on top of the development work and I am already only getting 4-5 hours of sleep in a day :s I wish I cud just send all the website email and that there was an upper limit say by the number of emails sent per week/month at mxroute rather than disallowing promotional email. Of course i am only referring to users who double co opted for such mail including promotions.

When we allowed marketing email, even double opt in, our IPs were listed as marketing at mipspace which is by default rejected by systems using MagicSpam, which generated customer complaints. I was unable to negotiate with the guy who runs that company, he doesn’t act reasonably. But that only left me one option, drop that IP range and forbid all marketing.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @raza19 said:

@jar said:

@rooted said:

ZeptoMail is only for transactional emails and no marketing emails allowed, I tried using them for a client that send regular small volume newsletter but they refused the application. Same policy as mxroute, I think.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @loay said:

@raza19 said:

@jar said:

@rooted said:

ZeptoMail is only for transactional emails and no marketing emails allowed, I tried using them for a client that send regular small volume newsletter but they refused the application. Same policy as mxroute, I think.

Its a combo, Zoho campaigns for marketing in addition to zeptomail for transactional emails.

• @raza19 said:

@loay said:

@raza19 said:

@jar said:

@rooted said:

Its a combo, Zoho campaigns for marketing in addition to zeptomail for transactional emails.

So then different product with all the hassle of setting up different outgoing routes for emails.

• @loay said:

@raza19 said:

@loay said:

@raza19 said:

@jar said:

@rooted said:

So then different product with all the hassle of setting up different outgoing routes for emails.

But from wt i have been told( i havent tested it though) it sounds much easier than anything else bcoz of the api. I just have to change the object in my programming from zepto to zoho campaign rather than go into depths of linux email server/relay demons and do configuration there.

@raza19 said:

@loay said:

@raza19 said:

@loay said:

@raza19 said:

@jar said:

@rooted said:

But from wt i have been told( i havent tested it though) it sounds much easier than anything else bcoz of the api. I just have to change the object in my programming from zepto to zoho campaign rather than go into depths of linux email server/relay demons and do configuration there.

You know if your code does SMTP you just need to change the SMTP address, user, and pass. Plenty of SMTP libraries already out there you'd just feed that to.

Thanked by 2raza19 raindog308
  • I might as well end up using mxroute then for transactional emails bcoz smtp is a piece of cake :) but do u have any recommendations for marketing emails provider ? Someone who doesnt charge an arm and a leg for sending little mail.

Thanked by 1jar

@raza19 said:
    I might as well end up using mxroute then for transactional emails bcoz smtp is a piece of cake :) but do u have any recommendations for marketing emails provider ? Someone who doesnt charge an arm and a leg for sending little mail.

Amazon SES all day long. They really do get those emails there.

• @jar said:

@raza19 said:
    I might as well end up using mxroute then for transactional emails bcoz smtp is a piece of cake :) but do u have any recommendations for marketing emails provider ? Someone who doesnt charge an arm and a leg for sending little mail.

Amazon SES all day long. They really do get those emails there.

Now i have a plan. When I am done implementing this ie mxroute for trx & ses for marketing i am going to publish an article detailing it here and maybe some open source code on github to help others.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar I agree that MagicSpam works like a stupid company,even your IP correctly set PTR with zero RBL check from multirbl.valli.org,but maybe in MagicSpam blocklist and hard to remove.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar have you ever communicated with spamhaus or uceprotect? Are they really mentally deranged persons?

Thanked by 2jar loay

@LTniger said:
    @jar have you ever communicated with spamhaus or uceprotect? Are they really mentally deranged persons?

Spamhaus are cool guys. Treat them how you want to be treated and you’ll get the same in return, that’s been my experience.

UCE nah, they don’t like to talk. If you break the silence it’s usually not enjoyable.

• UchihaUchiha Member
    edited December 2023

@jar said: But don’t think I’m trying to trash talk a competitor,

I appreciate your honesty about other companies. I have a question, I see the limit for sending emails is 300 per hour, which is okay for me now. But what if I need to send more, like 400 or 500 emails per hour later? Can you raise the limit if I need to?

• @Uchiha said:

I appreciate your honesty about other companies. I have a question, I see the limit for sending emails is 300 per hour, which is okay for me now. But what if I need to send more, like 400 or 500 emails per hour later? Can you raise the limit if I need to?

Nope.

• @Uchiha said:

Just send 300 per hour and have it take a little longer

Or persuade jar to change your limits, but that’ll take a lot of taco bell and probably some other things🙏

@Uchiha said:

If you’re sending quality emails to people who want them, and have a relatively low bounce rate, and you grow organically with us it usually isn’t a problem. The whitelist is quite large these days.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @jar if I send suspect mails when you sleep, do you have a system where you actually get woken up? This I’ve wondered.

Thanked by 1jar

@emgh said:
    @jar if I send suspect mails when you sleep, do you have a system where you actually get woken up? This I’ve wondered.

If you saw the number of filters and their varying connection to blocks, flags, and alerts (ranging from silent to “make 3 phones wake the neighbors”), you would probably develop a very strong opinion of me. In my mind, the opinion would go something like “Holy fuck this guy needs therapy and a nap.”

Shorter answer is yes 🤣

Thanked by 3emgh bikegremlin raza19
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Zoho? Thanks no! I've rarely seen such merciless, obtrusive and massive spamming.

Plus, I don't get @Uchiha's question, mxroute / @jar has an excellent reputation and is known to provide a very good service for low cost while Zoho is known to affirm any negative impression one might have of indian companies.

So, frankly, "do you prefer a dinner with Taylor Swift or a dinner with some chatty and weird indian girl?" is not even a sensible question.

mxroute and be done and satisfied, simple as that.

• I have used both ZeptoMail and MXRoute for the past few years for transactional email. Never had delivery issues with either (AFAICT). One thing that is tiny easier with Zepto is that once you set up the domain you can send emails from any address@domain, while with MXRoute I had to set up a mailbox for each sender address. But it's possible that this is not required with MXroute and that I may have missed something. @jar is it required or did I do something wrong?

• I actually have my own mail servers, but In the past I had Zoho mail, Google gsuite, Outlook etc.
    I prefer online services since the downtime is small even if the service is deferent but you wont care about the downtime for example the uptime for Zoho mail in the last year is 100%, and its the same for others.
    I don't know about MXroute but since its built on actual servers and not cloud service I expect to not be 100% since its very hard to had on Barematel servers to not even stop a service or reboot or upgrade anything and had downtime.
    so its up to you, but I would create my own vps or server and install hestiacp and setup a simple mail server over MXroute.